Start by marking “Binary Storm” as Want to Read:
Binary Storm

Binary Storm

(Paratwa Saga)

Near the end of the 21st century, Earth is in chaos from environmental devastation and a vicious undeclared war against binaries, genetically engineered assassins. Composed of a single consciousness inhabiting two human bodies (tways), binaries are ruled by an alpha breed, the Royal Caste.

Nick Smith, computer programmer and brilliant strategist, hooks up with Annabel
Published November 1st 2016 by Angry Robot

Start your review of Binary Storm
Jim
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great addition to the Paratwa trilogy. It is a prequel written after the original trilogy & should be read afterward. I know, that's not chronological order & I'm generally all for that, but this contains a LOT of spoilers & would ruin the slow reveals of the trilogy which add a lot to it. So read this last!

It was great to read about an earlier segment of Nick & Gillian's life. It's not often that a dwarf is the hero. Hinz projects a world spiraling into ruin as technology and
Stewart Tame
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was so happy to see that Christopher Hinz had written a new Paratwa book. The Paratwa are genetically engineered assassins, incredibly deadly with lightning swift reflexes. They come in pairs, one consciousness inhabiting two bodies acting with perfect coordination. I read the first book in the series--Liege-Killer--around twenty years ago, and it made a huge impression. It was followed by two sequels: The Paratwa, and Ash Ock. Then ... nothing. Hinz kept busy, just not with novels. And then I ...more
Roy
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This book can be read as a standalone however I'd urge you to read Liege Killer 1st ( if you can find a copy, there is a kindle version). Great action scenes, familiar characters that you love and I really enjoyed being Bck immersed in the world. Just didnt feel as good as Liege Killer. Alot better than books 2 and 3 ( which were just large amounts of information dumpings). I'd recommend this for fans of the original series. Hope the author has more to offer with novels.
Chip
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: law, science-fiction
Read the first (award-winning, I think) book in the series 20 or more years ago, and (although I don’t particularly remember them) the rest of that trilogy shortly thereafter. Hadn’t seen anything from the author since, until randomly spotting this very new addition to the Liege-Killer universe. A good story, well-worth the read, and one that’s inspired me to now go and reread the other three (although based on other reviews, this one actually, although chronologically set before them, should be ...more
Aaron Mcquiston
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: angry-robot
I received a free copy from Angry Robot/NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

"Binary Storm" is a prequel to other volumes of the Paratwa Saga, and even though there are a few moments where I thought "Oh. I wonder if this would mean more if I have read the previous novels," but it works well as a stand alone novel.

Nick Smith, a computer programmer for E-Tech, a corporation trying to cage up a technological society that is running wild, happens to be more than what he seems. When he is in
John Milton
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this addition to the classics. I always really liked the paratwa series and this read very much in the same vein. It was fun getting some of the backstory. If you were a fan of the originals, you will really like this book.
Elaine Aldred
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
In Binary Storm the prequel to the ‘Liege Killer’ series, Nick Smith, a computer programmer with a tight grasp on the current world politics and what to do about it, joins forces with Annabel Bakana, who is high up in E-Tech, an organisation dedicated to keeping developing technology under control. But with multiple connivances going on behind the scenes they’re going to have their work cut out to avert Armageddon.
This could have so easily been a Boy’s Own fight-sequenced fest, but there is also
Björn Bengtsson
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cyberpunk
Great cyberpunk! It has all the important components.
Still far from Gibsonian class, but if you like books such as Neuromancer, you'll definitely like this one.

I'd not say it is a "fast paced" book, but there's something happening all the time. The book has a good flow from start to near-finish. I think it lost something at the end, but that might be due to it being a prequel to the Liege-Killer books (which I haven't read yet).

All in all, I really like this book!
Jenny Thompson
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, gpsfbg
My book club read Binary Storm this month, and until I looked it up on Goodreads, I did not know it was a prequel. That explains a lot about why the book feels so unfinished. The concept of tways was cool, but I had trouble becoming interested in the characters. Woman who desperately wants a baby and Man who's too smart for his own good and can't commit don't particularly thrill me.

This novel felt less like a stand-alone story than a collection of flashbacks showing how plot twists in the main
Andrew Watts
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Some great ideas but the characters we too perfect and too good to be believable. The books felt long and boring in some sections an the action was not described to full effect. Didn't feel the punches. Overall worth a read once.
Felix
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great read! This is one of the best Science Fiction series written in the last 15 years. I highly recommend it!
Daniel
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.0 of 5

"Binaries" are genetically engineered assassins - twins inhabiting a single consciousness - in Christopher Hinz's future world "Paratwa" saga. In Binary Storm, computer programmer Nick Smith and Annabel Bakana, the new director of an organization trying to control runaway tech growth, team up to combat binaries. But there's a mole in the organization. It's not likely to be a binary because they aren't able to withstand
Rachel Noel
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
*Free copy for an honest review.

I was nervous about picking up this book as it is the prequel to an entire series. I was assured, however, that the book stands on it own and does not require you to have read any of the other books. For the most part, this is true.

Hinz does an incredible job of building the world and quickly establishing its problems through action rather than exposition. Yes, some of the disasters were news reports, but Annabel directly interacted with Doomers and Nick had to
Brian Palmer
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, science-fiction
On an Earth teetering on the edge of ecological disaster, mankind has definitely never made it easy for itself. It has created , using the bizarre quantum effects at the fringe of science, a means for an entire new species, the "paratwa." Two embryos are implanted with a quantum entanglement and they grow up as a single entity inhabiting two bodies; this enables them to do things no human ever could. So, of course, mankind mostly uses them as assassins.

What could go wrong?

A new breed of paratwa,
Anders
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I bought this from Humble Bundle and decided to give up on it after the first 40-50 pages. A few reviews here hinted that it was a prequel to a series that should be read first.

I don't really know why I bought the entire series, but I'm glad I did. This book fills in a few gaps from the series and almost made me read the series again, even though I just finished it.

There are some passages that I felt was so-so, but the overall impression was great and some plot twists at the end more than made
Hope
Nov 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
I've never heard of the Partawa(?) Series but after reading this I wouldn't even want to try to read it. I definitely didn't enjoy this book. It felt like an intense struggle to read this book for me. It's really hard to get me to actually enjoy Science Fiction though, so maybe that's just me. Who knows?

I won this book in a goodreads giveaway.
Michael
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

I read the first three books of this series decades ago and still have the paperback versions in my garage packed away. This prequel filled out many of the questions left by the original texts.

Kudos and thanks for this great addition to the story. I always appreciate writing that challenges my intellect and utilizes an adult vocabulary.

-Michael
Karl
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tolino
presented itself as something it in the end wasn't...
Martin Willoughby
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Storm in the title, Storm of a read. 500 excellent pages.
Lisa Brown
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my ususal book but had this from first reads, well written and gripping story.
Kristen Parks
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathing even more life into the paratwa saga

Starts slower than the previous books, but soon has you gripping your portable readout device with white knuckles and anticipation! As stated by so many, a page turner meant to answer so many questions while allowing you to dream up some of your own.
R
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having read Hinz' "Paratwa" series in the 90's, this was a must read. His first book in the series, "Liege-Killer" was absolutely amazing. The final two books, while entertaining, were nowhere on the level of "Liege-Killer."

"Binary Storm," on the other hand, was an amazing read. It reminded me of why I loved the first book, and liked the series. It was everything I wish the final two books in the series had been.
Roy
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a prequel to the Paratwa series of books written in the late 1980s and 1990s. After some 30 years, Hinz has written this prequel to the earlier time of the late 21st century that "Binary Storm" is set in. The three original Paratwa books starting with the book "Liege-Killer" are set in the 22nd century. The tie-in is that key figures can be put in cryosleep and revived. Characters from Binary Storm undergo cryosleep and are awakened in the later time to continue the conflict between the ...more
Elgin
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Several years ago, Christopher Hinz wrote an outstanding trilogy about the Ash Och's centuries long planning to take over Earth and make slaves of humans. These were outstanding, tightly written novels with compelling characters, intricate, multileveled plots and creative speculative science. I have read that first trilogy three times. The heroes of the trilogy were Nick (a midget born in the 1900's) and Gillian, a tway of one of the Ash Och. In the late 2000's Nick had recruited Gillian and a ...more
Sontaranpr
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A prequel to the Liege Killer series but one easily read as a standalone with no other knowledge about the books. I usually steer away from prequels as either they try and introduce everyone at once (like Babylon 5 In The Beginning) or involve situations you know have no means of being solved else the main series couldn't occur.

This book wasn't like that. Sure, we all know how Earth is going to end up and know the Paratwa haven't really disappeared but that doesn't matter. The story flows and
Vanessa Erdman
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good prequel

Now I want to read all of The Paratwa books again. Definitely recommend it! I'm glad it cleared up a lot of stuff on Gilligan's past.
Melanee Cottrill
Nov 28, 2016
David Murray
Jan 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Bullet-Catcher's Daughter (Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire, #1)
  • Unseemly Science (The Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire #2)
  • Drake (The Burned Man, #1)
  • United States of Japan
  • The Custodian of Marvels (Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire, #3)
  • Blades of the Old Empire (Majat Code #1)
  • Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1)
  • An Accident of Stars (Manifold Worlds, #1)
  • The Lives of Tao (Tao, #1)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • The Last Days of New Paris
  • Kojiki (Kojiki, #1)
  • Dinner with Edward: A Story of an Unexpected Friendship
  • Gladiators, Pirates and Games of Trust: How Game Theory, Strategy and Probability Rule Our Lives
  • Game Changer: AlphaZero's Groundbreaking Chess Strategies and the Promise of AI
  • Steal the Sky (Scorched Continent, #1)
  • The Queen of Crows (The Sacred Throne, #2)
Christopher Hinz is an author of science fiction thrillers – novels, comic books, screenplays and more.

Born in 1951 in Reading, PA, USA, his early passion for all things SF led to the writing of his first “book” in elementary school. A four-page epic, it featured a giant monster brought back from Mars who escapes and climbs the tallest building in Chicago, only to be blasted from that perch with a

Paratwa Saga (3 books)
  • Liege-Killer (Paratwa Saga #1)
  • Ash Ock (Paratwa Saga #2)
  • The Paratwa (Paratwa Saga #3)