Start by marking “Otherworld (Last Reality, #1)” as Want to Read:
Otherworld (Last Reality, #1)

Otherworld

(Last Reality #1)

The company says Otherworld is amazing — like nothing you’ve ever seen before. They say it’s addictive — that you’ll want to stay forever. They promise Otherworld will make all your dreams come true.

Simon thought Otherworld was a game. Turns out he knew nothing. Otherworld is the next phase of reality. It’s everything you’ve ever wanted.

And it’s about to change humanity fo
Published October 31st 2017 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Otherworld, please sign up.
Saphana See my answer above. I spent the last 2 hours googling the stuff and the similarities are so profound, this cannot be coincidence.

Somebody notify Tad…more

Somebody notify Tad about this. No seriously, we should. Otherland was the book(s) of which he once said: "The story that ate my life" and now Segal should be profiting from this? Disugsting.(less)

Emma Giordano
Jan 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
Edit 4/7 - After further reflection, I'm dropping my rating to 3 stars. I feel this rating better reflects the balance between elements I enjoyed and elements I was underwhelmed by.

4 stars! I enjoyed this read.

My favorite thing about Otherworld is the world! I love modern sci-fi stories, especially those involving virtual reality, so Otherworld was a great choice for me personally. Though there are many stories on the market that are similar, I feel the way in which the world expands leaves it l
Mark
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, there were so many elements to it and the action never stops.

Otherworld feels like it draws inspiration from several books and melds them into its own unique story. There are definitely parallels to other young adult books like the Maze Runner series but I also got a sense of Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

Like King's Dark Tower and also his collaboration with Peter Straub, The Talisman, Otherworld works in a parallel universe. To be more accurate it works in and ou
Dannii Elle
Otherworld is a fully immersive game, where the participant leaves behind both reality and their physical bodies, in their entirety. Eager gamer, Simon, filches his funds to join, from his wealthy mother's account. And with this further strain added to his real-world relations his desire to return becomes increasingly enthusiastic. But what is at first a fun and addictive new game soon turns into something that will turn both his reality and his virtuality on its head.

I knew nothing more about t
Emily
Oct 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Where to start? I'm not gonna go over the synopsis cause it's literally right there, but it's another YA about gaming. And I'd highly recommend skipping this one.
If you've read my updates at all, then you know partially why I'm giving this one star. The main character (Simon) literally goes up to two girls after they call his love interest a slut, telling them they should learn what feminism is, and then threatens them that if they bother his love interest again, he's going to leak their nudes.
Olivia
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Otherworld is a game, the kind I've always wanted to play. The participants leave their physical bodies behind and step, literally, into the game. Virtual reality is an amazing premise and one I hope to see more often in science fiction novels.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It moves with a good pace, is thrilling, entertaining and there's not a single dull moment. I finished it in a single day.

However, it's definitely a book for young adults and the writing style is aimed at the younger
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars.

This book was unputdownable. I finished it in a single day. I haven't read a book that quickly in a long time. I magically found this one at a beautiful shop called The Book Barn in CT. It was an ARC that I'm guessing some wonderful book blogger left me to find.

This is like Ready Player One meets The Hunger Games. A new Virtual Reality headset has been invented and it's called Otherworld. Simon, with rich lawyerly parents, has stolen his mom's credit card to purchase a headset and ha
Carlos
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-btr
This has got to be the one of the best YA books I have ever listened to (I heard in audio book format) . The characters are awesome, even the side characters, the world building is amazing and the quest is every gamers fantasy, to be part of a game ..wow . The villains are many, the heroes are real and the fight could cost you your life, the book is funny as hell with “nerdy” references all around and many mentions of “the one” , I was laughing out loud with this audiobook. Highly recommend this ...more
Emerald
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
“My tongue produces words faster than my brain can approve them.
Billie
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining, but I'm starting to think I read way too much, because nothing seems new to me. The entire time I was reading this, I kept thinking of Tad Williams's Otherland series (yeah, even the titles are similar) and Ernest Cline's Ready Player One and even Marie Lu's upcoming Warcross. It just felt too much like enthusiastic, well-written fanfic rather than a unique, original story.
Jessica
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent twisty sci fi adventure in the vein of Tad Williams' Otherworld or Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. Completely different from Segel and Miller's MG series, Nightmares! but I liked it just as much.

Hilarious side note: the library had glued the dust jacket on upside down. I am now sure that the people at my gym and who see me walking my dog and reading thing I'm crazy or faking it, as it looked like I spent two days reading a book upside down.
Mehsi
I just adore virtual reality, or well, the idea that one can just get lost in a whole world. Like in .hack (manga/anime/game) series.

But this one goes much further than just .hack. It goes so much further, and I loved each and every page of this one. Sure, at times I was wondering what kind of twist would be waiting at the next corner as they kept coming. :P

Really, all the adults in this book were messed up. Not only Simon's rich parents, but also Kat's. Plus I really couldn't understand how e
Emma♔☯ (Bookishfix)
"The Company welcomes you to Otherworld.
Are you ready to play?"

I didn't know Jason Segel wrote books?! He is talented in a lot of things he has done, and i, for the most part, enjoy his work immensely but was this book one of them? Yes and no. I haven't read anything by Kirsten Miller, but I could definitely pick out some of Jason Segel's humor throughout my reading of this novel. As a gamer, these sorts of books pull me in. I know I know, some may say it has been done before, many connect t
Jennzah
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW. I sat and read this book in 100 page increments and just WOW. It’s was absolutely engrossing. Simon, the main character is resourceful and snarky as hell as he tries to save his best friend and uncover the conspiracy connecting a terrible accident and the VR game OTHERWORLD.

I loved this. Simon is a clever and fun character who leads us through the dangerous landscape of OTHERWORLD, from the White City to Imra and beyond. What an amazing read. Very excited for the sequel next year!

Readers wh
Sifra (brilliant bookshelf)
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
description
Read this review at Brilliant Bookshelf

Netgalley provided me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review. Otherworld is a book that is interesting from beginning to end and that features an amazing concept. It’s definitely worth buying once it comes out at the end of October!

Whilst reading this book, I was reminded that I can be a bit dense at times, despite being an university graduate. Everytime I looked at the cover art, something about the name of the authors seemed familiar, but I co
Larissa (Book Bosomed Blonde)
My Blog

This was the Winter Biannual Bibliothon group book. I went into this knowing nothing but the title and usually when i do this i find i am pleasantly surprised by the book. This time i was left completely unsatisfied with the story and unfortunately, it didn’t do enough for me to want to continue on with the upcoming sequel.

The writing style is slow. That’s honestly the best way to describe it because the first 100 pages are spent with our main character Simon mostly in reflection on his p
I love stories that look at what technology might make possible in the not too distant future and with virtual reality something that is becoming more and more easily accessible Otherworld appealed to me as soon as I heard about it. The virtual reality game in this book is way more advanced than anything we have now though, it is a full on experience where you can not only see and interact with your surroundings but you can also taste and touch everything in the Otherworld as if it was completel ...more
Bitchin' Reads
DNF at 85%.

So. This book. Yeah, this one that I have had an ARC of since a week before its publication. I didn't like it. I set it aside in hope that I could pick it up and enjoy it while I was in a different, maybe improved, mindset. For the record, I tried--I really, truly, with my entire being tried to get through this book. Normally if a book has an interesting story and poor writing, I can overlook what I don't like and get through (Susan Ee's angel/demon trilogy that I suddenly can't name;
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, owned
This was really fun! The audiobook was a great way to consume the story (Jason Segel is the narrator) and really brought the characters to life. The story itself could be quite predictable but I did really enjoy the time spent exploring the realms of Otherworld, the scope and limitations of the game, the children etc. The VR element was the most fascinating element of this book to me, especially one aspect of it that made it stand out from other games.

Simon makes for an interesting main characte
Rachael
DNF 40%

I really don't understand all the good reviews for this book... it was unnecessarily and unfunnily crass and Simon was extremely unlikable and kind of a brat. I thought the romance was poorly written and Kat deserves a lot better. The world-building was really good, but that can only get me so far.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, physical-2017
What a wild ride.

This read like it took vibes from other stories (Warcross, Ready Player One, Hunger Games, Rule of Mirrors) and mixed them together to make something else. I actually enjoyed this and am excited to see how the rest of the series plays out. No pun intended.

-------------

What a fast paced, wild, and wonderful story! It completely caught me off guard. I was a little hesitant to start this as it was reviewed by other bloggers to be a mix of Warcross and Ready Player One. Those are bi
☆Stephanie☆
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Title: Otherworld (Otherworld #1)
Authors: Jason Segal, Kirsten Miller
Publisher: Delacorte Press, 2017 (Oct 31)
Genre: YA Science Fiction

**This Review can be found on my Blog, TeacherofYA's Tumblr, or my Goodreads page**

My Review:

So Otherworld doesn't have my "favorite" cover in the world...it's kinda bland and hard to tell what you're looking at...there's a really cool one I didn't get.

If anyone has the rainbow foil one, let me know...this is Segal's pic from Twitter and I love it!

But we all know
Lizzy Reads
Otherworld is this new virtual reality game that looks and feels like its real. In Otherworld, you can be and do whatever you like and come back to your real life. It is addicting, for most of the players, it is paradise. But the world has evolved and become more than VR, it has become another type of reality.

I liked the premise of the story and it was quite quick to read. It has been written in a way where you can really imagine what Otherworld looks like. It was also really rooted in the real
Kim Raccoon
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was disappointing because there was so much potential, and also the story is not fresh. I feel like the entire storyline was set aside so that the focus could be on the romance between Kat and Simon. The supporting characters were way more interesting and likable than Simon who began to be grating after about one hundred pages.

The book is very reminiscent of Ready, Player One which lends to the book feeling like an old idea rather than a new idea. An MMO with pop culture references. It also
Glitterbomb
I don't know what the hell happened here. I felt this was trying to be too many things and just ended up being a hot mess.

The concept was interesting, but poorly executed.
The main character - I feel the author was trying to pass him off as a little weird and eccentric, but he just came across as an opinionated, self righteous jerk. (yeah, I really didn't like him)
The romantic aspect was forced and felt unnatural.
The other characters were underdeveloped and I didn't feel a connection with any of
Kate
Dec 07, 2017 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 40 pages

Yeah I’m so fucking over snarky teenage boy protagonists. I already know exactly how this book is gonna play out already just from the first few chapters. Unnecessarily sexual, unnecessarily snarky, just no. I’m good. Disappointed cause I heard this get compared to Westworld but oh well.
Nancy The book junkie
Review to come!
Amanda
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, sci-fi, ya
***3.5 stars***

Otherworld is like The Matrix and Westworld made a baby and named it Ready Player One. All of these are awesome stories and it’s an interesting combination of these elements that appear to have influenced Otherworld. This is the story of virtual reality gone wrong, greed, humanity, and friendship. Essentially, there’s The Company who invents true virtual reality where you are fully immersed in the virtual world with all of your senses engaged. However, in order to beta test the pr
sierra ☂
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
3.5 stars !!
The YA Book Club: otherworld and otherearth 5 15 Nov 28, 2018 09:43PM
New York Times bestselling author Jason Segel used to have nightmares just like Charlie, and just like Charlie, he's learned that the things we're most afraid of are the things that can make us strong...if we're brave enough to face them. Jason likes acting, writing, making music, and hanging out with his friends. Sometimes he writes movies. Sometimes he writes songs for movies. Sometimes he stars ...more

Last Reality (2 books)
  • Otherearth (Last Reality, #2)
“My tongue produces words faster than my brain can approve them.” 10 likes
“I'm practically Lara goddamn Croft. You think because I'm a lady I don't know what I'm doing? Well, as they say back home, Hide and watch, son.” 1 likes