Start by marking “The Turquoise Mask” as Want to Read:

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  946 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Something hidden deep in her memory was the key to Amanda Austin's past. She did not know it was also the key to her future. After her father died, she decided to learn the truth of her mother and family in New Mexico. But from the moment she arrived at her grandfather's home, she was met with suspicion. And hate. They were her family, but they were strangers. And one of t ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published June 13th 1998 by Ivy Books (first published 1964)

Mollie *scoutrmom*
I chose this by title and author, looking for something that would fit in with a line item of a challenge in which I'm participating: "Something referring to a disguise or costume in the Title or Theme."

It seems strange to be reading a "contemporary" romance written in 1973. It makes me realize how much technology has changed the world in the past 37 years. Wow, has it been that long? I feel so old. No internet or cell phones. Long distance phone calls cost a lot. People in other states communic
Chris Wackett
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nostalgia-kick
I read this book first when it was serialised in woman magazine (in the 70's )when books were still promoted that way . I used to wait with mounting excitement as the week progressed for the next instalment for like the cowboy serials of Saturday morning cinema you were left inevitably with a cliff hanger . I have read all her books since and still have a soft spot for her writing . it may not be sonnet like or Pulitzer prize winning but ms whitney is a story teller par excellence. she does meti ...more
Judy
Mar 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wishing a good romantic suspense ,
Picked this old book up at the used bookstore for a good, easy read while travelling. I grew up reading all of Phyllis Whitney's books and love them all. It was written in great detail, almost the heroine became too dramatic at times. Maybe I have outgrown this type of suspense novel, but it was fun to reread again.
Julie Fowler
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
More high school memories!
Terri
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Forgot how much I like this author. She tells a good story.
Cynthia Austin
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story starts out at an easy pace of a young woman, Amanda Austin debating whether or not to accept an invitation to visit her deceased mothers family who are merely strangers to her. Being that her father had always shunned any talk of her mother, Amanda decided to accept the invitation and head to New Mexico.

Her long lost family is anything but hospitable to her and it’s strange to rationalize why they invited her in the first place. She meets Gavin Brand who just so happens to be her cousi
Lynn
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I first discovered Phyllis Whitney while in grade school and loved her children's mystery books. Then in high school I moved up to her romantic suspense novels and loved those as well. Since I am in a nostalgic mood lately, I decide to read one again. I chose The Turquoise Mask as one that I remembered especially liking back in the day. Well I had a different opinion this go around. I found it to be slow moving with repeated references to what someone was thinking or what their eyes looked like ...more
Arthur
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Turquoise Mask
A story set to be of Santa Fe, this is some place that a family the Cordova had settled their root. This can end quickly, confusingly, and if it got any better...but this story has that sorted and twisted tale of mystery throughout the whole of the story of all...that it seems so very complicated a story to a final end where the Cordova family resolves completely the families curses and mystery.

One of the best of the best nostalgic stories I ever will read. Even if the story d
Luckngrace
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Don't forget the old stories of Phyllis Whitney and others as you search for good reads. The new ereaders give you books published before 1925 free (so far) and you can buy bestsellers from the last 20 years at higher and higher prices, but many of the books between 1924 and 1980 aren't available. I wish every book ever written was available to every person in the world, but I'll just stop now by encouraging other avid readers like me to push publishers and ereader book providers to expand their ...more
Eva
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I enjoyed this book...for the second time. It has just enough suspense to keep me reading and just enough romance to make it enjoyable. I truly did not remember the ending, or why everyone was so set against Amanda learning the truth about her mother's death. I read it the first time twenty years ago and I may read it again someday.
Crystal
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this a long time ago in my teenage years because of a friend request...she enjoyed it... and thought I would to. I vaguely remember what happens in it....but I think I might have forgotten the ending...probably going on my to-read-again list...I also remember that I really liked it though...:)
Kaye
May 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, romance
Phyllis A. Whitney was one of the first adult mystery romance writers that I found when I became a teenager. I read everything I could of hers. They would seem very tame by today's standards. Kind of like Mary Higgins Clark.
Wren
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read this book YEARS ago and it stuck in my mind as being a good one. I devoured all of Phyllis A. Whitney's work as a teen. (Recently learned that she is mentioned in the credits of Dwight V. Swain's book Techniques of the Selling Writer.)
Amytha
i liked this book, but there were some questions (spoiler) like, why did her grandpa invite her to stay with him if he was the killer and was trying to kill her, but he wouldn't have needed to if she didn't come to stay with him.
S.jane
Aug 09, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I put this book aside for now. I'm just frustrated with this book at the moment because since the beginning everyone is talking about a scandal involving her dead mother and now all I want now is to know what the scandal is - and I'm only on the 3rd chapter. Gah!
Christine Honsinger
Sep 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gothic-suspense
This story was confusing, convoluted and messy. Even so, I pushed to get through the whole thing in order find out "whodunit". And....I'm still confused. Details and resolutions were not solved satisfactorily making me feel like this one was a total waste of my time...ouch. Not recommended...
Stephanie Mcmahan
I love Phyllis "Whitney books because she takes you to places around the US that I have never been and you get a real sense of the place. Also, she writes a great mystery and I am always guessing.
Lauren
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: gothic, romance
I absolutely love gothic romances with all of the mystery and the strong female characters. Phyllis A. Whitney is an amazing author incorporating an unforgettable story with amazing characters.
Tracie
Jan 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Typical Whitney with beautiful described setting (New Mexico!) and mystery from the past plot.
Farshana
Jul 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: open-lib
Phyllis A. Whitney,s books are always a comfort read with almost all of them having a recurring theme of story, nevertheless they are pleasure to read with a cup of tea in hand!
Kim
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
It was fun returning to an author from my youth, but it also reminded me how how slow-moving books were then compared to today.
Deborah
May 31, 2010 rated it liked it
See Quicksilver Pool.
Melissa
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My very first favorite author - I have all her books -- been reading these for years
Jodi
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
All her plots are the same. Not sure why I bothered to finish it. Except I was stuck in an airport for hours and this was the only book I had.
Debbie
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First of her books to read. Couldn't put it down and is the reason I have read so many of her books.
Mary
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites!
Enobong Essien
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was one of my most boring reads in quite some time. And I'm including the physiology textbook I got last year, and the Dermatology one I have this year. I'm a pretty fast reader, but wow, it took me months to finish this, because I read a few pages every week or so (partly due to school too. I didn't have time in my third year for novels). And I also wanted to know who the killer was, not burning curiosity, just... meh.
The book isn't awful. The plot is bad, but it drags on so much, that i
Cindy Lawrence
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the book

I'm a fan of Phyllis a Whitney from back in the 70s . A nice easy read . Good little twist at the end . Yes slightly outdated but for me that is not an issue . Hope to see more of her books released in kindle.
Terri Edwards
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, you can't go wrong with any Phyllis Whitney book.
  • Daughter of Deceit
  • Darkwater
151920
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...