Start by marking “How to Develop a Perfect Memory” as Want to Read:
How to Develop a Perfect Memory

How to Develop a Perfect Memory

This manual explains Dominic O'Brien's system intended to help the reader remember names, faces, telephone numbers, pass exams, learn languages, win at Trivial Pursuit and clean up at the blackjack table. O'Brien is able to memorize the sequence of 36 shuffled packs of cards using his method.
Published May 5th 1994 by Headline Book Publishing (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about How to Develop a Perfect Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Develop a Perfect Memory

Start your review of How to Develop a Perfect Memory
Max
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
I had high hopes for this book, unfortunately this book isn't for me. I really enjoyed the 2nd chapter and was able to use the method described. The rest of the chapters I struggled with and didn't get anywhere.
Nola Redd
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
O'Brien lays out his system in an easy-to-follow style, with plenty of examples to guide you. His system for numbers is also clearly detailed, though I'm presently using the Major system. He also focuses on the journey method, touching only slightly on the Roman room, or memory palace.

Unlike many of the books I've read on memory lately, O'Brien's provides more potential uses for memory techniques. Some of them I won't use, such as card counting and quiz machine memorization, but I'll keep them i
Anushka Aritri
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction-read
It gets the job done, but as a person who heavily dislikes repetition, only the first half of the book had any solid merit/advice to follow. After that, the examples all led to the same thing. Dominic System. Once you understand how that works, the rest is just him hammering it in.

After that, there were several anecdotes lumped together, and honestly, even speed-reading couldn't reduce how painful finishing the book was. Applying the techniques will no doubt be useful, but am starting to get th
Bjorn Martensson
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dominic describes his system of how to become a memory champion. The system seems very solid and mostly based on memory palace. As with any skill, learning it takes a lot of practice and I suspect most readers won't have the need or motivation to put the time in. But even if you don't utilize most of the techniques, it's an interesting view into the world of memory champions.
Mohamed Magdy
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The books is easy to read and follow, and the techniques mentioned in the book work and are helpful in real life situations.
Using the journey technique from the book I was able to memorize any shopping list I was given without having to take the actual list with me, and I'm using the O`Brien system to memorize number related data, and I am able to successfully memorize a deck of cards.

So in summary the techniques mentioned in the book work, they are useful in real life, and they are not that com
Kenny Sweet
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the few books out of the myriad claiming to boost your memory that actually will. The advice is ridiculously pragmatic so be prepared to buckle down and follow the advice bit for bit. You could skip this and check out his youtube videos instead but it's worthwhile to support the author and have it in a structured format on sections. My complaint is that the progression isn't clearly laid out and could really be improved.
Đinh Thanh Bình
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cuốn sách khá thú vị cho bản thân mình một cách nhìn mới về khả năng ghi nhớ thật đáng tiếc là mình không được đọc nó sớm hơn. Dominic o brien đã cho mình một cách nhìn khác về khả năng ghi nhớ bằng phương pháp hành trình và phương pháp dominic ( có thể hiểu là cách mã hóa con số thành kí tự chữ cái) giúp cho khả năng ghi nhớ được tốt hơn. sẽ cố gắng tập luyện những bài tập để giúp mình cải thiện khả năng ghi nhớ cho bản thân.
Gautam Baba
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Just like the title, this book is just perfect book to read. All interesting way to remember a variety of things. more reading this made it look like a engaging autobiography of dominic o'brien who was a born dyslexic. As usual, there is a little new things in memory books as most book features same techniques but interpreted in a different way. an breezy read for a memory enthusiast.
James
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author’s credibility as a Guinness world record holder helps back up the methods and techniques he uses. But the book is overfluffed and he hammer-nails every aspect of life, even though there are some techniques that can complement memory training (e.g. spaced repetition or building mental models).
Ahmad Hossam
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazingly fun to read, can be skimmed through in a couple of hours. Its most valuable insights are the Journey Method (chapter 2 ) and the Dominic System of memorizing numbers (chapter 4), both of which contain the gist of the whole thing.
Edi
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book to improve memory. With apt examples and experience this book is a treat for whoever seriously wants to improve their memory.
Barbara
(2.5/5) The book had me for about, say 20% of it. The rest I couldn’t care less about, counting decks or memorizing billions of dates is irrelevant to me. I found his method works, but I’m sure there must be a trillion books about the topic that are a bit more interesting and less step-by-step kind of read.
Deku Midoriya
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read books for every students. The tips in that book will make benefits for everyone read it.
Soufiane Ragala
Interesting, but only if you haven't read any other book by O'brien, because it is litteraly the same tips repeated.
Libbeth
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2000
In my early teens I caught the tail end of a demonstration, on "Pebble Mill", on memory techniques and was desperate to learn them, to help with exams. At that time you had to pay a lot of money for those sort of courses and so I had to content myself with the few things I learned from that brief demonstration. When I stumbled across this book in 2000, decades later, I was fascinated. Unfortunately it was a library book and copies of it now command quite high prices. He has published similar wor ...more
Owen Lindsell
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Owen by: Henock Zewde
A short well explained book providing a complete system for using your memory. It works well, but as with all these sytems, it requires a lot of effort to become good at it. However, even though I read this book 9 years ago and I didn't become a master at the technique, I still find myself using it to remember shopping lists or pin numbers.
David
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books, although very hard to find now! The techniques still hold up over time, even though it was written 18+ years ago. The "Quantum Memory Power" audio book is good as well, and is essentially this book in audio format. Much easier to find than the book version.
Jeremi Doucet
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Extremely profitable read. I'd recommend people go through this book as soon as they can to integrate the art of mnemonics into everyday life. This book gave me a whole new perspective on memory and how to confidently rely on it for the various things we are expected to remember on a daily basis.
Edelhart Kempeneers
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Hij hemelt zichzelf behoorlijk op, maar bevat wel nuttige tips.
Manuel Crespo-Rodríguez
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mnemotechnic
Unlike most of the mnemonics/memory books out there, this one gives a broad view about mnemonics and its techniques; it is a great book for starters.
Darius Cupsa
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting read.
Matas
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book with wonderful and well explained techniques!
Cristina
The Dominic System explained in detail (with examples) by its author + journey and link systems; A bit too many chapters on tricks.
Mateusz
Eunjoo
Dec 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything
  • The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)
  • A Mind for Numbers: How to Excel at Math and Science (Even If You Flunked Algebra)
  • Une mémoire infaillible: Briller en société sans sortir son smartphone
  • I Will Teach You to Be Rich: No Guilt. No Excuses. No BS. Just a 6-Week Program That Works
  • Tolstoy
  • The 48 Laws of Power
  • Move into Life: The Nine Essentials for Lifelong Vitality
  • Fluent Forever: How to Learn Any Language Fast and Never Forget It
  • A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
  • No Longer at Ease (The African Trilogy, #2)
  • Going Horizontal: Creating a Non-Hierarchical Organization, One Practice at a Time
  • Just Listen: Discover the Secret to Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone
  • Use Your Head
  • Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story
  • 10 Steps to Earning Awesome Grades (While Studying Less)
  • What Every Body is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide to Speed-Reading People
Dominic O'Brien is a British mnemonist and an author of memory-related books. He is the eight time World Memory Champion.

He began developing his mnemonic techniques in 1987 when he saw Creighton Carvello memorize a pack of 52 playing cards in less than three minutes on the BBC television programme Record Breakers. In order to memorize numbers, O'Brien developed the mnemonic Dominic system, which i