Start by marking “How to Develop a Perfect Memory” as Want to Read:
How to Develop a Perfect Memory

How to Develop a Perfect Memory

This manual explains Dominic O'Brien's system intended to help the reader remember names, faces, telephone numbers, pass exams, learn languages, win at Trivial Pursuit and clean up at the blackjack table. O'Brien is able to memorize the sequence of 36 shuffled packs of cards using his method.
Published May 5th 1994 by Headline Book Publishing (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about How to Develop a Perfect Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Develop a Perfect Memory

Max
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
I had high hopes for this book, unfortunately this book isn't for me. I really enjoyed the 2nd chapter and was able to use the method described. The rest of the chapters I struggled with and didn't get anywhere.
Nola Redd
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
O'Brien lays out his system in an easy-to-follow style, with plenty of examples to guide you. His system for numbers is also clearly detailed, though I'm presently using the Major system. He also focuses on the journey method, touching only slightly on the Roman room, or memory palace.

Unlike many of the books I've read on memory lately, O'Brien's provides more potential uses for memory techniques. Some of them I won't use, such as card counting and quiz machine memorization, but I'll keep them i
Mohamed Magdy
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The books is easy to read and follow, and the techniques mentioned in the book work and are helpful in real life situations.
Using the journey technique from the book I was able to memorize any shopping list I was given without having to take the actual list with me, and I'm using the O`Brien system to memorize number related data, and I am able to successfully memorize a deck of cards.

So in summary the techniques mentioned in the book work, they are useful in real life, and they are not that com
Kenny Sweet
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the few books out of the myriad claiming to boost your memory that actually will. The advice is ridiculously pragmatic so be prepared to buckle down and follow the advice bit for bit. You could skip this and check out his youtube videos instead but it's worthwhile to support the author and have it in a structured format on sections. My complaint is that the progression isn't clearly laid out and could really be improved.
Gautam Baba
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Just like the title, this book is just perfect book to read. All interesting way to remember a variety of things. more reading this made it look like a engaging autobiography of dominic o'brien who was a born dyslexic. As usual, there is a little new things in memory books as most book features same techniques but interpreted in a different way. an breezy read for a memory enthusiast.
James
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author’s credibility as a Guinness world record holder helps back up the methods and techniques he uses. But the book is overfluffed and he hammer-nails every aspect of life, even though there are some techniques that can complement memory training (e.g. spaced repetition or building mental models).
Ahmad Hossam
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazingly fun to read, can be skimmed through in a couple of hours. Its most valuable insights are the Journey Method (chapter 2 ) and the Dominic System of memorizing numbers (chapter 4), both of which contain the gist of the whole thing.
Barbara Hansen
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-read, ibook, memory, 21st
(2.5/5) The book had me for about, say 20% of it. The rest I couldn’t care less about, counting decks or memorizing billions of dates is irrelevant to me. I found his method works, but I’m sure there must be a trillion books about the topic that are a bit more interesting and less step-by-step kind of read.
Libbeth
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2000
In my early teens I caught the tail end of a demonstration, on "Pebble Mill", on memory techniques and was desperate to learn them, to help with exams. At that time you had to pay a lot of money for those sort of courses and so I had to content myself with the few things I learned from that brief demonstration. When I stumbled across this book in 2000, decades later, I was fascinated. Unfortunately it was a library book and copies of it now command quite high prices. He has published similar wor ...more
Owen Lindsell
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Owen by: Henock Zewde
A short well explained book providing a complete system for using your memory. It works well, but as with all these sytems, it requires a lot of effort to become good at it. However, even though I read this book 9 years ago and I didn't become a master at the technique, I still find myself using it to remember shopping lists or pin numbers.
David
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books, although very hard to find now! The techniques still hold up over time, even though it was written 18+ years ago. The "Quantum Memory Power" audio book is good as well, and is essentially this book in audio format. Much easier to find than the book version.
Jeremi Doucet
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Extremely profitable read. I'd recommend people go through this book as soon as they can to integrate the art of mnemonics into everyday life. This book gave me a whole new perspective on memory and how to confidently rely on it for the various things we are expected to remember on a daily basis.
Edelhart Kempeneers
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Hij hemelt zichzelf behoorlijk op, maar bevat wel nuttige tips.
Manuel Alejandro Crespo-Rodríguez
Unlike most of the mnemonics/memory books out there, this one gives a broad view about mnemonics and its techniques; it is a great book for starters.
Darius Cupsa
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting read.
Matas
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book with wonderful and well explained techniques!
Cristina
The Dominic System explained in detail (with examples) by its author + journey and link systems; A bit too many chapters on tricks.
Elghourfi
  • The Art of Memory
  • You Are a Cat!
  • Hunter: The Reckoning
  • Inevitable Illusions: How Mistakes of Reason Rule Our Minds
  • Magical Use of Thought Forms: A Proven System of Mental & Spiritual Empowerment
  • The Girard Reader
  • Joan of Arc: By Herself and Her Witnesses
  • Practical Sigil Magic: Creating Personal Symbols for Success
  • Letter 44, Volume 2: Redshift
  • Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud
  • Fiasco
  • Hands-On Chaos Magic: Reality Manipulation Through the Ovayki Current
  • Insidious
  • Low Magick: It's All in Your Head ... You Just Have No Idea How Big Your Head Is
Dominic O'Brien is a British mnemonist and an author of memory-related books. He is the eight time World Memory Champion.

He began developing his mnemonic techniques in 1987 when he saw Creighton Carvello memorize a pack of 52 playing cards in less than three minutes on the BBC television programme Record Breakers. In order to memorize numbers, O'Brien developed the mnemonic Dominic system, which i
“Remember, the more you exercise the brain, the fitter it becomes.” 0 likes