Start by marking “Vampire Kisses (Vampire Kisses, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vampire Kisses (Vampire Kisses, #1)

Vampire Kisses

(Vampire Kisses #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  48,896 ratings  ·  2,265 reviews

In her small town, dubbed "Dullsville," sixteen-year-old Raven — a vampire-crazed goth-girl — is an outcast. But not for long...

The intriguing and rumored-to-be haunted mansion on top of Benson Hill has stood vacant and boarded-up for years. That is, until its mysteriously strange new occupants move in. Who are these creepy people — especially the handsome, dark, and elus

Mass Market Paperback, 253 pages
Published August 5th 2005 by HarperTeen (first published August 1st 2003)

·  48,896 ratings  ·  2,265 reviews

Start your review of Vampire Kisses (Vampire Kisses, #1)
Alkyoni

I don’t care that the writing is simplistic. I don’t care that the main character herself is simplistic. I don’t even care that these books were written for much, much younger readers than me, say… 14 year olds.

I don’t care about any of that, because Vampire Kisses always puts a smile on my face. Some will find it to be silly; some will find it to be naïve; I find it to be refreshing, original and funny, even though after a few days I can’t even remember what the plot was about.

Sixteen year ol
Brittany
Jan 10, 2008 rated it did not like it

I was expecting a lot more from this book.

I felt that the characters were very stereotypical, two-dimensional and that the story was predictable. Also, I hate the kind of stories where the two leads 'fall in love' in a matter of 24 hours, etcetera... with hardly any interaction. This is what happens with Sterling and... oh right, Raven...

I guess I shouldn't have expected a lot more from this book when the main characters name is so silly.
Kristy
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
***Spoiler's below***

Ugh, so this is going to be mostly a rant.... just warning ya.

With a title like 'Vampire Kisses', I, the reader, would assume that
a: this book has vampires in it
b. it is a romance novel, with kissing
c. Whoever our character is, he/she is kissing a vampire

While some of these are true.... They might even all be true to a point, but not in the way I had expected or wanted!
Really, we don't even know "our guy" is a vampire until pretty much the last page!!! You might assume it
*TANYA*
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was very funny and now I must read the next in this series.
S
Mar 03, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is way too coincidental.
Allow me to discuss the irony, which Vampire Kisses has more than enough of (and this is still an understatement). The main character's (Raven) parents used to be what she called "hippies" when she was a kid. Now, if her parents were hippies, why would they name her kid "Raven?" Flower-loving lava-lamp-collecting Pink Floyd orange walls pink carpets hippies, would name their child Raven? I understand that I may be stereotyping the whole concept of being a 'hippi
Penny
Mar 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Rating Clarification: 0 stars

Simply terrible, just TERRIBLE.

SUPERFICIAL, STEREOTYPICAL, CLICHÉ. Plainly and excruciatingly bad, BAD, BAD.

The facts have no union; is like watching a bad TV series, a succession of changing scenes but with no explanations anywhere, and a bunch of systematized ideas and shallowness. An assortment of conventionalized and “popular” elements put together with the apparent intent of being cool and special but obviously failing miserably.

What a painful, painful read.

I
Bryan Coffey
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love the vampire kisses series because it was the first vampire love novel i read before twilight came out and i am able to relate to this book a howl lot. I would recomend people to read this book and the howl series granted it is not as long or as good as twilight but it is worth the read. This teenage girl falls in love with this teenage vampire and she tries to deny it for ahilw and she is curious to find out who he is and it has been her life long dream to become a vampire. She broke it t ...more
Rebecca
Oct 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vampire Kisses is a really great book. I found it to be very original and absolutely hilarious. There were parts where I just couldn't stop laughing because Vampire Kisses is a very very funny book.
Vampire Kisses was really interesting too. I found myself reading more and more and more of it and ended up finishing it because it's just a book that you want to keep reading.
Vampire Kisses was thoroughly enjoyable and I will forever remember parts of it.
I loved all of the characters, they were all
Janaye
Aug 24, 2008 rated it liked it
I must admit that this is a guilty pleasure type of book. Its very simple with not much depth to it but is a cute book. Though it is not something to read for a life changing experience it is cute and easy to read and follow so give it a try.

Fall in love with Raven and her Vampire and follow them through all their terrifyingly wonderful adventures.

Though there is some originality to the book it comes in the form of non-original vampire myths and legends (garlic, crosses, sunlight etc.) so just
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Feb 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
This was... not good. It leans very hard into the whole "goth girls love vampires" thing. The writing was abhorrent and the plot was overly simple. I'm not sure why I liked this book in high school.
Kayla Brunson
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this back in high school and every time I see this cover I get nostalgic. I decided to pick this up since I was in a reading slump and to also see if I would still love it in my late 20’s. And I did!

Raven still made me laugh and is still one of my favorite main characters. She really didn’t care what other people thought about her or her interests.

For some reason, I remember this as a middle-grade book and that’s absolutely not true. I think most of the jokes went above my head back in t
Corinne
May 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: 10 year old goths
This book is kind of like a salad when all you really want is a steak. You start to read it and you really, really want the two main characters to get together and thats all well and good. It would be a better book if the main character wouldn't whine so much and get over the whole damned "I'm goth and no one understands me" bullshit. It wouldn't be as bad as it is if the characters had actual depth, if the parents weren't as retarded and if the story had more meat.

There are other books followi
Mizuki
Feb 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
It looks like it was written by a 10 years old girl who wrote a fanfiction while daydreaming about a handsome vampire as her boyfriend. Not my cup of tea.
Polina
Jun 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Someone hand me the forks.
I have no desire to be able to read after finishing Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber.
The main character is *goth* Raven *goth* Madison who *goth* is apparently a goth. In case you didn't get that from the author pointing that out every other page. She also pulls out every single cliche in the book, and ends almost every sentence in an exclamation point. People aren't called by the names that they are given, no, the snarky protagonist has to give them an insulting nickn
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: february-2018
Raven is gothic in a town where that's rather frowned upon and so she's rather lonely until a family moves into the wonderful mansion. Things move fast in this novel and I like that. Nothing is ever boring and Raven is as funny as can be. I love Alexander and his shy and quiet way. This book can be kind of cheesy but I just think it's cute as can be. This novel is kinda of what I wish my town was like, everyone is pretty good people with only a few bad apples instead of the other way around. I'd ...more
Kimberley doruyter
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
a re-read for me.
i never realized how much of a drama queen raven can be.
but still really funny.
Sandy
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, series
This is the third book by her that I've read, and she has a very light, ditzy kind of style of writing. Or maybe it's just her main characters, I don't know. Raven is a total perky goth. Like, seriously. She's very perky, it would be very annoying if I didn't like perky goths, so I'm warning you in advance. But here again, vampire romance. It was actually pretty cute, and there's also totally something going on with this other guy that does not get fully developed, but hey, there's 2 more books ...more
Anushka
Oh god, what the fuck was this?
Stupid plot.
Stupid characters.
Stupid writing.

Everything about this book was so gooddarn stupid! How are these books even published?

This book was for teeny boppy girls who are hopeless romantics and fantasize an Edward Cullen will someday come to get them. I was sick and couldn't move from my bed, hence settled for reading this whole series as it was the only one available in my mobile. Otherwise I swear to god, I'd not have read this shit in a million years.
Anna
Oct 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, vampires
A perfect teen-read for Halloween.

Raven, a 16 year old goth, loves vampires and wishes to meet one. Her greatest desire comes to reality when 17 year old Alexander moves to the creepy mansion up the hill. He is so mysterious that he never gets out of his place, he paints the whole time and he is home-schooled.

Lovely like "The little vampire" and so small that is read in a couple of hours pleasantly!
Aly
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Second time reading
I can tell that the first time I read this I was a young teen because I remember loving this and thinking Raven and Alexander were so cool. Now that I'm older, Raven is somewhat irritating and I want to tell her to grow up. I do like that she defends Becky and doesn't let Trevor just bully her without fighting back. Alexander is cute and treats Raven well. I was glad that Raven had some growth by the end and I do want to keep reading to see how the series turns out.
Bon
Omg this popped up on my dash and i remember reading it and a couple sequels...
Sophie
Mar 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book sucked. And not in the good way either.
So the main characters name is raven and she is goth. Tragically so what with her black combat boots, black lipstick, black hair. But at the saaaaame time she is a total freaking preppy girl. She argues with the hottest guy in school and she works at this travel place and at she seems completely fine with wearing bright red lipstick and a pretty red dress.
Wait whaaaaT? I thought she was goth.
Apparently she doesn't even know what goth is.
Then she b
Scribblegirl
Scale of 1-10: 2.5
Pros: Spunky heroine who isn't afraid to stand up for herself and be who she is, and more importantly, does not fit the norm.
Cons: Kitschy vernacular wore on my nerves and was caricatured, while some of the dialogue was downright painful.

Synopsis: 16-year-old Raven has wanted to be a vampire since she was 5. On the day she turns 16, a mysterious new family moves into the old mansion down the street - the very same "haunted" mansion that Raven snuck into back when she was 12. A
Hannah

MORE? MORE! @ P.S. I love that book!

THE WORLD: Okay so typical paranormal, the world like we know it just with a little bit of spice in form of vampires. This is probably the book even of Twilight era when everybody suddenly was writing about vampires. One way or another, it is an easy world to follow.

CHARACTERS: Okay this book made me realize one big thing in my life and that was that I have a thing for vampire books if I love the main character. Okay maybe it sounds actually wrong because I h
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Sixteen-year-old Raven Madison started her obsession with the dark side in kindergarten. While the teacher was asking her young students what they wanted to be when they grew up and getting the typical responses of nurse, fire fighter, and football player, young Raven answered the question the only way she knew how--she wanted to grow up to be a vampire.

Raven's parents, Sarah and Paul, were typical hippies who spent their early years together waxing poetic abo
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
If only this was a parody it would have gotten four stars, but according to my googlefu it's for real.

This is one of the worst books I've read this year.

It's too pathetic to snark.

Well, I'm kinda snarking this.

I will probably not continue this, because I'm not that mean.

Also, this book was written BEFORE Twilight, believe it or not.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Okay, this series is just fun and cute and well, so much fun! I don't think it gets enough credit for how good it is.
Nasty Lady MJ
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
To see full review click here.

There’s no way I can talk about Vampire Kisses with a straight face. If it was intended on being written as a parody then Schreiber succeeded. If it was written to be a serious romance. Then…

This is bad guys. So bad. It’s like the literate version of My Immortal.

Take every Goth stereotype known to man, add some really out dated vampire references (including a cringe inducing cameo by Anne Rice), and top that off with a couple of romances that don’t make any sense th
Marija *There's No Poetry In My Soul, Just A List Of Lies I've Told*
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

It's been a long time since I read about a character who can be a badass and completely crazy at the same time. I adored Raven. She was such a refreshment. Although I didn't like her complete obsession with vampires and all things black, I really liked her personality. She stuck up for a girl everyone beat up, she takes no shit from anyone and she really knows what she wants - to become a vampire. Complitely delusional, I know. But that's Raven.

I liked how brave she was
Jenny Jo Weir
Bite me!

This book was recommended to me by my overdrive app and I would have never read it otherwise but I'm very glad I did. Way to go overdrive app!

I loved that this book was not long or dull. It's cute and not the same story everyone else writes about...and it wasn't 20 hours long! It seems like all the stories I have recently been reading are all freaking 12 to 18 hours long and I appreciated this author keeping it short and sweet.

Raven is a high school student obsessed with vampires. She i
Vampire Kisses: Blood Relatives 1 3 Jan 06, 2020 10:01PM
Crazy for Young A...: ✗Pair 2: Zara and Opal (January 2015) 7 117 Jan 06, 2015 11:49PM
Are there any good vampire series that have more than 5 books and the books are pretty short? 4 39 Sep 12, 2014 08:52PM
Raven And Alexanders Relationship 2 35 Mar 25, 2014 10:28AM
vampire kisses: VK movie??? 18 59 Dec 23, 2013 11:01AM

• Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1)
  • Marked (House of Night, #1)
  • Boys that Bite (Blood Coven Vampire, #1)
  • Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1)
  • Eighth Grade Bites (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #1)
  • Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1)
  • The Vampire Diaries #1
  • Evernight (Evernight, #1)
  • The Awakening / The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2)
  • Tantalize (Tantalize, #1)
  • Blood and Chocolate
  • Evermore (The Immortals, #1)
  • In the Forests of the Night
  • The Silver Kiss
  • Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1)
  • Uninvited
  • House of Night #1 (House of Night: The Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Suck It Up (Suck It Up, #1)
Before I took pen to paper, I was an actress. I attended a local university majoring in theatre and spent a summer in London at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts where I learned about the “Old Bard” from amazingly talented teachers.

When I returned from London, I relocated to Chicago where I lived for five years. There, I graduated from the Second City Training Center and performed improv, Shakes

Vampire Kisses (9 books)
  • Kissing Coffins (Vampire Kisses, #2)
  • Vampireville (Vampire Kisses, #3)
  • Dance with a Vampire (Vampire Kisses, #4)
  • The Coffin Club (Vampire Kisses, #5)
  • Royal Blood (Vampire Kisses, #6)
  • Love Bites (Vampire Kisses, #7)
  • Cryptic Cravings (Vampire Kisses, #8)
  • Immortal Hearts (Vampire Kisses, #9)