Start by marking “Actionable Agile Metrics for Predictability: An Introduction” as Want to Read:
Actionable Agile Metrics for Predictability: An Introduction

Actionable Agile Metrics for Predictability: An Introduction

Actionable Agile Metrics for Predictability is a comprehensive guide on how to use flow metrics and analytics to get the predictability your customers crave.

“When will it be done?”

That is probably the first question your customers ask you once you start working on something for them. Think about how many times you have been asked that question. How many times have you ever
ebook, 1, 291 pages
Published March 23rd 2015 by Leanpub (first published March 4th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Actionable Agile Metrics for Predictability, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Actionable Agile Metrics for Predictability

Bjoern Rochel
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, eng-mgmt
I think this book is likely a lot more accessible than Reinertsons "Principles of Product Development Flow" for many people. And it really hammers the effects of too much work in progress into your head. I also appreciate the less is more approach here, using just 3 basic metrics (Cycle-time, Throughput, WIP) and two diagram types (Cumulative Flow Diagram and the Cycle-time Scatterplot) for analysis and communication.

So why only four stars?

I've worked the last 1,5 years in a close enough setup
Amanda Varella
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the best Kanban book in the last years. A must read for those who wants to have a clear understanding how to use effective metrics
Mattia Battiston
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is THE best book about metrics I've read so far. Forget velocity and burn-downs: this book explains what you really need for predictability.
It goes through CFDs, cycle time, WIP, throughput - and explains in great details how to use them, all the traps to avoid, and all the value you can get from them!
The chapters on Little's Law are amazing: after hearing it mentioned so much in Kanban it's great to see its implications in action.
The author has a clear and direct style, even when he's goin
Alex Fürstenau
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Currently trying it out with my team, plan to do it for the department and maybe even for my personal todo process (based on gtd).

I thought a new everything about CFD's but I didn't when it comes to modeling backlogs for example.

He also inspired me to try out scatterplots.
William
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick takeaway is this book is fairly well written but really really poorly illustrated. But if you get one book on "agile" metrics get this one.

Most of the figures appear to be low-resolution screen shots of tools Vacanti's company markets. Some are nearly unreadable.

That being said, I like the book's approach to understanding workflow through queuing theory (namely Little's Law) and visualizing workflow through cumulative flow diagrams (CFDs--note: I confused the aerodynamics team at work wh
Juan
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good starting point about orienting metrics to promote predictable delivery and flow.

It helps me a lot to translate metrics and graphics into points for improving.
Daniel Osborne
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this cover to cover inside 24 hours

A series of major eureka moments. (Stick with it, the author’s style warms up). I’ve read a lot about CFDs, but this clears up a lot of misconceptions, as well as introducing scatter plots and histogram views to better understand flow metrics of cycle time, wip and throughout. It also does a great job of explaining the assumptions underlying Little’s Law, and how setting your policies to comply with those will make your process more predictable. Key findin
Cathie
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good explanation about the core metrics of Kanban, and how they can be used to improve the predictability of software development.

Unfortunately I found the tone a little condescending at times, which is a shame because it has all of the information explained clearly for beginners to lean metrics.
Johan Dahlbäck
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you manage any kind of complex process where predictability is expected, you should read this. Even if you are up to date with 21st century approaches like Agile and Lean-Agile. The book is a step-by-step gude to creating a predictable delivery and also a very pleasant read.
Ian
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Made me reconsider the efficacy of my Sprints. Some really practical stuff in here.
Brigitte
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paused
A must read book!
Łukasz Lichota
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good and practical book.
Dirk Geurs
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book single handedly reinvigorated my enthusiasm for Agile. It does a very good job at visualising a basic set of metrics that can be used for all sorts of process improvements. Everything is very well argued and a lot of common mistakes made by other Agile books are debunked. I'm certainly planning to put some of these in practice.

One downside to the book is the way it glosses over the making predictions using the Monte Carlo method. While the book promised several times to go into more de
Peter Götz
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agile, devops
This is a great starting point and reference if you want to learn about metrics that help you improve flow in your agile team.
Daniel starts at the beginning and introduces flow and its relation to predictability in a complex process that contains uncertainty. He introduces cumulative flow diagrams and cycle time scatter plots and how they can help us achieve said predictability.
This book picks you up where you are and does a very good job going into the details. The flow of the book is logical
Gerrit Beine
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very good introduction for agile metric newbies.
Thiago Ghisi
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read about Kanban Metrics.
Gerard Chiva
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is key to understand the principles of flow, the assumptions behind Little's Law and the power of Lean Metrics. But, it could have been written in half the length.
Sofia
Mar 05, 2018
Ivan
Nov 05, 2017
Niklas Emanuelsson
My main take aways from this book is:
- better knowledge about Littles law
- the concept of flow debt
- how policies can increase predictability
- how to read cfd, scatter plot and histogram visualization of cycle times.
- defining boundaries of the process being measured
- defining the basic variables, cycle time, arrival rate, wip and through put.
- examples of how an unstable process can behave.
- variants of how policies for pull can be implemented
- how to formulate an SLA from the data gathered fr
Egor Kachanov
Mar 31, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Where to get it 1 3 Jul 14, 2015 06:38AM

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »