Start by marking “Envy of Angels (Sin du Jour, #1)” as Want to Read:
Envy of Angels (Sin du Jour, #1)

Envy of Angels

(Sin du Jour #1)

In New York, eating out can be hell.

Everyone loves a well-catered event, and the supernatural community is no different, but where do demons go to satisfy their culinary cravings?

Welcome to Sin du Jour - where devils on horseback are the clients, not the dish.

PRAISE FOR ENVY OF ANGELS:

"Matt Wallace tells a raucous, riotous tale of culinary madness - a jaw-dropping horror-f
Published October 20th 2015 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about Envy of Angels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Envy of Angels

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Darren and Lena are out of a job and the rent is due. They have spread the love all over town and now are black-balled from working pretty much anywhere.
They get a call from a chef that they had though was dead but he wants to hire them so they head over to his catering business. 'Sin du Jour'
They do a try-out to make sure they are fit for the team, then Darren goes into the forbidden pantry.
Umm now they are part of the crew.

You just thought Hell's Kitchen was rough.
Palm Springs commercial photography

The catering business serv
Jokoloyo
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
An exciting urban fantasy story about cooking and restaurant business does exist!

It is a fat (pun intended) 3 star reading experience. Maybe if I read and like the sequels, I could revise the rating into 4 star. Restaurant as an urban fantasy theme is a cool idea, so I wish this series could getting better.

CON: there is not much explanations, and almost no background story could make readers unsatisfied. But more importantly, there is no character development. But Envy of Angels is a beginning p
carol.
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of UF, offbeat humor
Recommended to carol. by: Lindsay

If you want a quick UF read that is loads of fun, give Envy of Angels a try. I'm a bit tired of grim-dark, the awful state of humanity, etc., and is just what the nurse ordered (because a doctor would order an anti-depressant).

Best friends and unemployed cooks Lena and Darren are job hunting after being blackballed in New York City. Never mind why--suffice it to say that they are virtually untouchable and about to be reduced to looking for jobs in Jersey (this is how you know the author actuall
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/10/18/n...

I have to say, so far I’ve been very impressed with the variety of Tor.com novellas. Just as I’ve gotten myself settled in with a couple stories that are rather sober, more serious-like endeavors, along comes Envy of Angels barging into this black tie dinner party like your favorite uncle, the one who gets loud when he’s had too many but is always ready to entertain the crowd with a funny yarn.

I had such a great time with
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊
★★★☆☆

Confession Time:

I am not a writer. Nor do I have any aspirations of one day becoming one. I could take it a step further by revealing that, throughout school, English was one of, if not my least favorite subject. Part of my hatred stemmed from the reading curriculum. I’d like to give a proper tongue-lashing to the moron(s) responsible for choosing such books as Moby Dick, The Scarlet Letter, A Tale of Two Cities, The Grapes of Wrath, The Odyssey, and oh so much Shakespeare. All great litera
Kaitlin
Apr 08, 2018 rated it liked it
* I was sent this for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review *

I am really happy that Tor.com decided to be so kind and post the whole of the Sin du Jour series out to me, having now read the first I can see that this is an Urban Fantasy series with oh so much potential. This follows a group of people who work in Sin du Jour, a catering company who cater to the masses of Demons, creatures and more. They are speciality chefs with a talent for whipping up some of the most divine a
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was just okay for me. I have heard great things about this series so this book has been on my to be read list for some time. I bought a copy of the book but had not had the opportunity to sit down and read it just yet so when I saw that the audiobook was available through my library, I decided to go that route. It is a rather short piece so I was able to finish it in just a couple of days. I didn't fall in love with this book bu
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: urban fantasy fans, people who like the Rivers of London series
Recommended to Evelina | AvalinahsBooks by: Tammy for Books Bones & Buffy
★★★★✮  4.5 stars. For the full GIF-loving experience, read this review on my blog here.

I'm sure you've heard about this one. It's another fun, ass-kicking and quite inventive Urban Fantasy series, right along the lines of Rivers of London and the like. Except this time, we're talking catering. And not just  any kind of catering.

I found out about this series from Tammy's blog. I wasn't going to pick up yet another  new book (much less a new series), but it was so enticing that I had to give it
Scott Sigler
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Scott by: AB Kovacs
Matt Wallace is the best writer you've never heard of. So, get to know him.

ENVY OF ANGELS is wonderful, a combination between Jim Butcher's THE DRESDEN FILES, the Marlon Brando movie THE FRESHMAN and the TV show "Hell's Kitchen." When you go to work for a paranormal catering company, you know shit is going to go South faster than a wrong turn at Albuquerque.

There are a lot of characters and this is a short book — only 40,000 words, novella-length — but Wallace does an excellent job at making ea
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Delicious ;)

Everything a novella should be.
Seconds please!

Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
I have given up on this novella. I tried. I really did. I think the reason I hated this so much is because I kept trying to finish it. It's simply a short novella. How hard can it be to finish? With that in mind, I thought it wasn't exactly fair to give it 1 star.

I wanted to like this a whole lot more than I did. There is actually a really good story kernel here. This could've been so much better if it had been developed more and lengthened, perhaps put in some subtlety and character developmen
Lindsay
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Two young chefs begin work for a catering service with a unique clientele.

What if supernatural creatures existed? What would they be like? Where would they eat? This novella series answers that last question.

Comedy is hard to review and describe. If I even describe this as comedy, which it is, then that sets certain expectations around characters making quips and jokes. If I describe it as madcap, which it is, then that sets other expectations around pacing and absurdist situations. And if I try
Tammy
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it

The nitty-gritty: A laugh-out loud skewering of the fast-food industry, filled with funny dialog and memorable characters.

I have to admit, when I first saw the cover for Envy of Angels, I immediately filed it in the “I hate the cover so I don’t want to read this book” compartment of my brain. Typically I don’t respond well to silliness, and a book cover with chicken nuggets on it was just too much for my delicate sense of humor. But then I read a couple of rave reviews, and soon after I hooked u

Michael Hicks
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought, urban-fantasy
Darren and Lena are the newest chefs to join Sin Du Jour, a highly exclusive catering company with a highly unusual clientele. Overseen by a Michelin award winner, Sin Du Jour operates on government contract to host diplomatic banquets for – wait for it – demons! Their latest dinner service involves a unique ingredient, and the chefs are the only thing standing against all-out war between two rival gangs of Hell’s finest.

Envy of Angels is a quick, breezy, and very entertaining read. It’s also on
Paul
I didn't know that I wanted a Hell's Kitchen, Supernatural, Buffy the Vampire Slayer mash-up in my life until I finished this novella by Matt Wallace, but I'm so glad I know how much it worked for me now. I am definitely going to be reading this entire series of novellas. This book was just fun and the atmosphere reminded me of the humor that was prominent in Breaking Bad.

Two chefs are hired for a new job at Sin du Jour and they soon find that this isn't a normal catering company. I don't want
Elizabeth
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious fun romp

Fast paced, totally enjoyable, and smirk-inducingly funny. Though I would suggest the author looks up how eggs happen for added accuracy 😂
Jason
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2016
5 Stars

Envy of Angels by Matt Wallace is one really sweet novella. Like others have said it is a combination of a Food Network show that would be made by National Geographic or even The Animal Planet, set inside a universe created by Tim Button. This is a food story first, a comedy second, and a horror show third. Together they are served up to perfection through witty dialogue and the writing of Wallace. What does an Angel taste like?

This is a fun read. There are many laugh out loud moments th
unknown
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
guess what angels taste like. c'mon, guess.
Robyn
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Well, that was a funny, fast novella. Well-written, good characters, extremely imaginative.
Suzanne
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
That was twisted, weird, and funny. Reading it really made me appreciate the cover :) I saw one reviewer call it Hell's Kitchen for demons, and I think that is the perfect description.

Megan Baxter
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
If I hand you a book and tell you it's about the adventures and misadventures of a supernatural catering company, that pitch would probably give you certain expectations. Like, this probably isn't a super serious book. That it's a little light and enjoyable, probably with some good action set pieces and plenty of banter.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.

In the meantime, you can rea
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Honestly I had never heard of this book before it was offered as a free ebook in the tor newsletter for a few days. But reading the synopsis instantly captured me. A supernatural catering service, basically. How can that not make you curious? It made me so curious. Was this more on the humor side or is it more of a serious thing? I can tell you I think it means to fall more towards the humor side.

I love the idea of a supernatural catering. It stands out from the crowd just for that. Who even com
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I wasn't quite sure what I was about to read when I picked this book up. I remember grabbing it for my Kindle one weekend when it was on sale for under $3.00 after seeing a few decent reviews. I also recall being on a horror kick when I grabbed it and wanting to check out some new authors. All I can say is for whatever reason I grabbed this, thank heavens I did!

This book was a total blast. Sin du Jour is a special catering company in New York whose clients consist of a certain branch of individ
K.J. Charles
Sep 29, 2017 added it
Shelves: fantasy
A potentially highly enjoyable read with fun characters and a great concept, but the reading experience depleasurised by an extraordinarily lackadaisical editing job. I'm surprised and disappointed at such amateurishness from Tor, a generally really strong publisher.
proxyfish
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novella, humour, dark
Reviewed on my blog - Books by Proxy

4 Stars

In this madcap introduction to Sin du Jour – the most exclusive and eccentric caterers in town – Matt Wallace throws the reader head-first down a wilfully chaotic, potentially disturbing and really rather entertaining path. Envy of Angels is a wonderfully formed novella which impresses with its quirky storyline and its buffet of colourful characters who delight and disgust in equal measure. With a distinctive culinary twist to its urban fantasy label, t
H. D.
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ryan-recommends
Fantasy lit's hottest spot is Sin Du Jour. Writer Matt Wallace has filled this perfect novella wall to wall with tautly paced mayhem and it has everything:

Paramilitary kitchen staff, a six foot praying mantis, a capital-A Angel, and a fresh hot batch of meatstery - you know, that thing where you're eating meat, but fairly certain it's not meat, but are afraid to know what it actually is so you just celebrate the mystery of it?

Wallace throws all of it in one ginormous blender, hits grind, and wh
Michael Underwood
You've heard of Molecular Gastronomy? Well, the Sin du Jour series is Molecular Narratology. With Envy of Angels, Matt Wallace serves up a deconstructed urban fantasy - all of the familiar ingredients are there but delivered in a fresh way.

You get your demons and angels and monsters and supernatural hunters, but this time, it's served up in the form of a procedural culinary drama, accentuated by a spicy sauce of inventive dark humor.
Cathy (cathepsut)
Freebie from Tor.com, thank you very much!
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
3.5 Stars
This is an entertaining novella with a light-hearted premise. Fans of urban fantasy will likely really enjoy this one.
T. K. Elliott (Tiffany)
I really wanted to like this a lot more than I did; a catering company that caters for demons - how cool is that?

Unfortunately, despite the great premise, this book doesn't really deliver - at least, for me it didn't. The comedy is slapstick, and the action moves so fast with so little depth that there's no tension. You never really doubt that it's all going to turn out OK in the end, and you're kind of mildly interested in finding out how - but none of the characters are three-dimensional enou
  • A Kiss With Teeth
  • The Ghost Train to New Orleans (The Shambling Guides, #2)
  • John Golden: Freelance Debugger
  • Taste of Marrow (River of Teeth, #2)
  • The Shootout Solution (Genrenauts, #1)
  • Of Sorrow and Such
  • Reflections (Indexing, #2)
  • The Lost Child of Lychford (Lychford, #2)
  • The Last Witness
  • The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1)
  • A Key, an Egg, an Unfortunate Remark
  • The Builders
  • Rivers of London Vol. 1: Body Work
  • Hounacier (Valducan, #2)
  • Forest of Memory
  • Cold-Forged Flame (Ree Varekai, #1)
  • California Bones (Daniel Blackland, #1)
  • Hurricane Heels

Sin du Jour (8 books)
  • Lustlocked (Sin du Jour, #2)
  • Pride's Spell (Sin du Jour, #3)
  • Idle Ingredients (Sin du Jour, #4)
  • Greedy Pigs (Sin du Jour, #5)
  • Gluttony Bay (Sin du Jour, #6)
  • Taste of Wrath (Sin du Jour, #7)
  • Sin du Jour: The Final Course
“Everyone else sees a legion of undead clowns worshipping a giant chicken, right?” Moon asks. “Yes.” “Yeah.” Hara nods. Moon is visibly relieved. “Okay, good.” 6 likes
“Life is never that clean," he assures her. "Neither is magic.” 4 likes