Start by marking “An Unexpected Cookbook: The Unofficial Book of Hobbit Cookery” as Want to Read:
An Unexpected Cookbook: The Unofficial Book of Hobbit Cookery

An Unexpected Cookbook: The Unofficial Book of Hobbit Cookery

4.38  ·  Rating details ·  149 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
When a second generation geek with multiple degrees in history grows up to be a professional cookbook writer, it's no surprise you end up with a lovingly researched book of Hobbit cookery.

Inside these pages you'll find one chapter for each traditional Hobbit meal. In addition to being based on historic recipes revised to fit Tolkien's specific vision of the Shire, the dish
Published May 6th 2015 by Kitchen Overlord (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about An Unexpected Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unexpected Cookbook

E.F.B.
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I own this cookbook and it's one of my favorites. The recipes are great. I've made several of them, mostly the baked goods that are suitable for breakfast, and I've enjoyed all of them. Just be aware that all of this is food fit for Hobbits and therefore is NOT health food, but of course, if you don't like an ingredient, it's usually easy to substitute with something a little healthier or simply reduce the amount.

There is also some interesting information in this cookbook about historical meals,
Melissa Koser
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
In addition to being a cookbook, this is a delightful read. The recipes are written so you feel as if the author is personally sharing them with you, and they give a glimpse back into what food during Tolkien's day might have been like. Plus, most of the recipes give suggestions for how to recycle any leftovers into a new meal, a skill that seems largely lost in American culture.
I did have a few issues with the book. First, there are several typos. Proofread, people! It's not that difficult to d
P
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the historical references and use of leftovers! I wish there was an easier way to cross-reference the recipes to see which ones would provide leftovers for which ones the next day for meal planning, I had to create my own chart.
Wheeler
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
The Unexpected Cookbook delivers on its promises. Explanations of what you're reading about and why and it's well enough researched.

However, I found the typos to be jarring. It seems like it wasn't proofread more than once. Also, the lack of knowledge about American cuisine, and the lack of knowledge about American dinner vs supper was also very weird.

Overall, a good book, that would be a lot better with a couple more proof reads.
Valentine
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love it I love it I love it.

This cookbook is an absolute delight. The author included wonderful facts and anecdotes about Tolkien's childhood and the origin of hobbit food. The recipes are great. I am nostalgic for a time I didn't even live through.
Niamh Anne King
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this! Best Christmas present, ever!
DK Hoffman
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I didn't exactly read every page, but I skimmed the "blurb" of each recipe. This book is a delight! We've made 15 of the recipes so far and have absolutely loved them. I especially like the suggestions for using the left overs - very economical and sensible. I'm an old fashioned cook (I use recipes that date back four generations in my family) and love the wholesome, country style goodness of these recipes.

As someone else mentioned, I did notice a type-o and wish that the editing had been
Tory
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Usually when I get a cookbook I just skim through the recipes, but when An Unexpected Cookbook came in the mail I sat down and read through every recipe step by step. Not only am I excited to make some delicious Hobbit inspired meals from these recipes, but I also learned a whole lot about Victorian-era food and cooking, and what types of things Tolkien would have eaten throughout his life. There's a lot of personality and humor mixed in throughout the steps of the recipes, which makes them more ...more
Symmonz
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great recipes and fun reading

The recipes were great, and the author also used some quirkiness in the directions. For example: (quoting from memory, so not exact) "Cook up 5 strips of bacon. 3 go into the pie, 2 go into your mouth. If you don't want to eat extra bacon while cooking, just cook 3 strips." I've a actually made a couple of the dishes since purchasing this book, and they came out great!
kelley
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, cookbook
delightful! The recipes are right out of JRR Tolkien's world. The pictures of the food are incredible and the recipes are easy to follow. I also like the tibits of history behind each dish. I see a hobbit celebration in the near future, perhaps on September 22--Bilbo and Frodo's shared birthday. That would be perfect.
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I will definitely make a lot of the recipes in this cookbook. They are realistic, with ingredients readily available, and many of the recipes have vegan alternatives provided. Good photographs - I think there is a photo of each dish provided. And the recipes are organized by meals: Breakfast, Second Breakfast, Elevenses, etc.
Elisabeth Gumbetter
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Yum the yuck

Some of the recipes are a perfect examples of a hobbit meal, but a lot of items would be hard to find or expensive. And then some just seem unappealing.
Michelle Grandinetti
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Great read as well as some amazing recipes! Especially the roasted apples! Can't wait to get started! Perhaps with a LOTR marathon!
Opal Broussard

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $3.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?
    $9.99 $2.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Moving Beyond Words: Essays on Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking the Boundaries of Gender
  • Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet