Start by marking “An Unexpected Cookbook: The Unofficial Book of Hobbit Cookery” as Want to Read:
An Unexpected Cookbook: The Unofficial Book of Hobbit Cookery

An Unexpected Cookbook: The Unofficial Book of Hobbit Cookery

When a second generation geek with multiple degrees in history grows up to be a professional cookbook writer, it's no surprise you end up with a lovingly researched book of Hobbit cookery.

Inside these pages you'll find one chapter for each traditional Hobbit meal. In addition to being based on historic recipes revised to fit Tolkien's specific vision of the Shire, the
Published May 6th 2015 by Kitchen Overlord (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about An Unexpected Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unexpected Cookbook

Start your review of An Unexpected Cookbook: The Unofficial Book of Hobbit Cookery
Miranda Reads
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcover
description

We can look at this one of two ways, either I'm a bit late to do a Christmas Book Haul video or I'm hella early for next year.

(Click the link to see what other books arrived via the polar express).
Best. Christmas. Present. Ever.

Absolutely LOVED it!

THANK YOU SANTA!

Review to come
Manybooks
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
While author Chris-Rachel Oseland mostly considers her An Unexpected Cookbook: The Unofficial Book of Hobbit Cookery as how J.R.R. Tolkien’s hobbits would have cooked and eaten in the fictional Shire of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings fame, for me, An Unexpected Cookbook: The Unofficial Book of Hobbit Cookery also clearly demonstrates that in J.R.R. Tolkien’s oeuvre, the Shire, with its specific emphasis on traditional rural Britain and village life also points out that with regard to ...more
E.F.B.
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I own this cookbook and it's one of my favorites. The recipes are great. I've made several of them, mostly the baked goods that are suitable for breakfast, and I've enjoyed all of them. Just be aware that all of this is food fit for Hobbits and therefore is NOT health food, but of course, if you don't like an ingredient, it's usually easy to substitute with something a little healthier or simply reduce the amount.

There is also some interesting information in this cookbook about historical meals,
P
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the historical references and use of leftovers! I wish there was an easier way to cross-reference the recipes to see which ones would provide leftovers for which ones the next day for meal planning, I had to create my own chart.
Melissa Koser
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
In addition to being a cookbook, this is a delightful read. The recipes are written so you feel as if the author is personally sharing them with you, and they give a glimpse back into what food during Tolkien's day might have been like. Plus, most of the recipes give suggestions for how to recycle any leftovers into a new meal, a skill that seems largely lost in American culture.
I did have a few issues with the book. First, there are several typos. Proofread, people! It's not that difficult to
Kara
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Oseland doesn't follow the usual template of taking a quote from a book that mentions a food, than making a recipe based on that quote. Instead, she digs into Tolkien's life and letters and how he admits the Shire was based on a VERY specific time and place - the village he lived in when he was a child i.e. back when everything was Perfect. And to be fair, he fought in WWI and lived through WWII, so he was understandably soured on the 20th century.

All the recipes are based on the food of the
Wheeler
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
The Unexpected Cookbook delivers on its promises. Explanations of what you're reading about and why and it's well enough researched.

However, I found the typos to be jarring. It seems like it wasn't proofread more than once. Also, the lack of knowledge about American cuisine, and the lack of knowledge about American dinner vs supper was also very weird.

Overall, a good book, that would be a lot better with a couple more proof reads.
Rae
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an unexpectedly great cookbook! The food ties in with the books, but more than that, it is a well-researched collection of recipes for British country cooking from a particular era. I didn't find anything in there that I wouldn't want to make--even the kidney pie, which is not part of my usual American palate, sounded good. I checked this out from the library, but I will be buying my own copy of it.
Veronica Lessard
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all, even though I am not vegan, I'm glad the authors put a vegan option. This makes me want to spend a morning cooking and then spend the rest of the day eating while watching The Hobbit trilogy.
The recipes seem rather simple to make and don't have too many unusual ingredients, besides venison that can be tricky to find.
Other than that, great pictures, everything looks good and hearthy!
Greymalkin
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
This is a wonderful cookbook to read. I have no idea of the recipes are any good (though they seem pretty reasonable), but the research is fastidious and the commentary is hilarious! The combination of historical context with Tolkien world notes (so much shade cast on the elves!) is a total winner in my book. I read this first on kindle and enjoyed it so much I bought the dead-tree version. That one is even better because you get full-page photos and the pretty hobbit-journal-like layout.
Valentine
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love it I love it I love it.

This cookbook is an absolute delight. The author included wonderful facts and anecdotes about Tolkien's childhood and the origin of hobbit food. The recipes are great. I am nostalgic for a time I didn't even live through.
fred cormack
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love hobbits!

Delightful premise and many great recipes. Brings up memories of a wonderful month spent in the UK, or was that the Shire???
Abraham Ray
Great cookbook based upon the hobbit!
Niamh Anne King
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this! Best Christmas present, ever!
Robin
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yummy

Fascinating recipes! I like this book. I will buy my own copy. I'll follow the author. Would love to see her kitchen!
Ken Franck
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Fun stuff
DK Hoffman
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I didn't exactly read every page, but I skimmed the "blurb" of each recipe. This book is a delight! We've made 15 of the recipes so far and have absolutely loved them. I especially like the suggestions for using the left overs - very economical and sensible. I'm an old fashioned cook (I use recipes that date back four generations in my family) and love the wholesome, country style goodness of these recipes.

As someone else mentioned, I did notice a type-o and wish that the editing had been
Tory
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Usually when I get a cookbook I just skim through the recipes, but when An Unexpected Cookbook came in the mail I sat down and read through every recipe step by step. Not only am I excited to make some delicious Hobbit inspired meals from these recipes, but I also learned a whole lot about Victorian-era food and cooking, and what types of things Tolkien would have eaten throughout his life. There's a lot of personality and humor mixed in throughout the steps of the recipes, which makes them more ...more
Symmonz
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great recipes and fun reading

The recipes were great, and the author also used some quirkiness in the directions. For example: (quoting from memory, so not exact) "Cook up 5 strips of bacon. 3 go into the pie, 2 go into your mouth. If you don't want to eat extra bacon while cooking, just cook 3 strips." I've a actually made a couple of the dishes since purchasing this book, and they came out great!
kelley
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, cookbook
delightful! The recipes are right out of JRR Tolkien's world. The pictures of the food are incredible and the recipes are easy to follow. I also like the tibits of history behind each dish. I see a hobbit celebration in the near future, perhaps on September 22--Bilbo and Frodo's shared birthday. That would be perfect.
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I will definitely make a lot of the recipes in this cookbook. They are realistic, with ingredients readily available, and many of the recipes have vegan alternatives provided. Good photographs - I think there is a photo of each dish provided. And the recipes are organized by meals: Breakfast, Second Breakfast, Elevenses, etc.
Ellie Grace
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Yum the yuck

Some of the recipes are a perfect examples of a hobbit meal, but a lot of items would be hard to find or expensive. And then some just seem unappealing.
Michelle Grandinetti
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Great read as well as some amazing recipes! Especially the roasted apples! Can't wait to get started! Perhaps with a LOTR marathon!
Christi
Nov 15, 2016
Cynthia Donnell
Sep 15, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Part-Time Gods (DFZ #2)
  • The Big Book of Cupcakes
  • Minimum Wage Magic (DFZ #1)
  • No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished (Heartstrikers, #3)
  • Endless Night
  • Island
  • Death's Acre: Inside the Legendary Forensic Lab the Body Farm Where the Dead Do Tell Tales
  • The Mystery of the Blue Jar: A Short Story
  • Last Dragon Standing (Heartstrikers, #5)
  • The Big Book of Organic Baby Food: Baby Purées, Finger Foods, and Toddler Meals For Every Stage
  • Top 100 Baby Purees: Top 100 Baby Purees
  • Ultimate Breakfast Cookbook: Eggs, Pancakes, Coffee Cakes, Casseroles, Cinnamon Rolls & More! (Southern Cooking Recipes Book 72)
  • The Enchanted Sonata
  • A Dragon of a Different Color (Heartstrikers, #4)
  • Falling Like Snowflakes (Summer Harbor, #1)
  • One Good Dragon Deserves Another (Heartstrikers, #2)
  • So You've Decided to Become A Necromancer, Book 3