Start by marking “Alterations” as Want to Read:
Alterations

Alterations

If anyone saw the prom boards Amelia Blanco makes on her favorite fashion app, they'd think Ethan Laurenti was her boyfriend. They wouldn't know that all the plans she's made for them are just dreams, and that she's the girl who watches him from the kitchen while her parents cook for his famous family.

When Amelia's abuelita enrolls her in a month-long fashion internship i
ebook
Published December 6th 2016 by Bloomsbury Spark

To ask other readers questions about Alterations, please sign up.
Stephanie There is no ARC yet! Once I know any details, I'll post how to get one.
…more
There is no ARC yet! Once I know any details, I'll post how to get one.
(less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,130 books — 9,714 voters
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
256 books — 1,427 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Alterations
Stephanie
Jun 12, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Thank you to everyone who picked up Alterations during the recent discount across retailers! As always, HUGE THANKS to everyone who has already left a review.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, leaving a book review births new baby unicorns.
-Stephanie Scott
Patty
WHAT!?!?!?!?!
 photo 873009_zpsdxnpeupr.gif

I'm sorry....DID YOU SAY A SABRINA RETELLING!?!?!?
 photo 511945_zpsfp6ylo9i.gif

Sabrina is one of my favourite movies. I LOVE Audrey Hepburn, and while yes I love Harrison Ford and Greg Kinnear the 1954 version is THE BEST.
 photo tumblr_n7cd71bgI61s8hnhko1_500_zps1sc1k4ns.gif

Kids, if you haven't seen Sabrina (and no, not Sabrina the Teenage Witch) you need to go watch it!!!

I'm looking forward to some cuteness like this
 photo tumblr_mmik5onFLC1r5pl3ao1_400_zps2uxhr4ym.gif

and more cuteness
 photo tumblr_m90snr3lvy1r4dm8ho1_500_zps0ysqomsx.gif

I NEED THIS BOOK ASAP!! This is going to be good, I know it will!! Anyone else looking forward to Alterations?
Stacee
I was sold at the comparison to Sabrina. I love that movie with a sickness and couldn't wait to see how it translated into a retelling.

I liked Amelia well enough. She's smart and talented and {mostly} focused. Ethan and Liam were great opposites as brothers and their interactions with Amelia were interesting. I could have done with more banter and sweetness, but loved the nerdy references.

My main complaint is that I never saw that burst of confidence from Amelia. After her fashion internship,
Kris Mauna
Alterations was the perfect weekend read!

This book is full of everything we love about contemporaries; young love, self discovery, family, and a little drama. Our main character, Amelia, comes full circle as she goes on a journey to discover who and what she truly wants in her life.. And I loved every minute of reading her story!

As soon as the book begins we learn that Amelia's grandmother has enrolled her in a fashion internship, which Amelia had always planned on applying to but never did. Lea
Forever Young Adult
Graded By: Stephanie
Cover Story: Keeping Me In Stitches
BFF Charm: Maybe
Swoonworthy Scale: 5
Talky Talk: Project Runway: Miami
Bonus Factors: Fashion, Sabrina Retelling, Diversity
Relationship Status: Little Sibling

Read the full book report here.
Alexa
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this novel, because the concept sounded so cute! And while there were elements that I thought had a ton of potential, overall, this one just wasn't my cup of tea. Underdeveloped in many ways, if I were to say what I thought the issue was. ...more
Kara Isaac
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A sweet and adorable YA that I adored from beginning to end. Can't wait for more from this author! ...more
Erica Chapman
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story! Totally got the Sabrina comparison too! Great representation of empowerment and owning your own style. Amelia is likable and I enjoyed following her through her adventures. I really liked the incorporation of social media and technology too. Such a fun read!! I'm a fan! Add this one to your TBR ...more
Rê
description

3.5 “SABRINA meets PROJECT RUNWAY” Stars

ARC via NetGalley.

Thank you, Bloomsbury Spark!!

When I read somewhere this book was supposed to be a mix of Sabrina (the movie) and Project Runway, I knew I had to have it. I absolutely adore the movie (I’ve watched the 1995 version a hundred times) and the fashion reality TV show is one of my favorites (it only loses to ANTM and its many versions worldwide). Plus, who doesn’t like Tim Gunn? It’s impossible not to love the “Make it Work” fashion expert.

So I
T.J. Burns
Alterations is an entertaining and refreshing new take on the age-old "Sabrina" story. In the original Sabrina story, Sabrina goes off to learn how to "be a lady" -- I like much more the idea that Amelia is going off to perfect a skill, as is the case in Alterations. Amelia already has a knack for sewing and fashion design when the story begins. She also has some self-confidence about this skill, enough to jump in and save the day for the prom-goers.

I also like that the two boys in this story a
Nasty Lady MJ
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
To see full review click here.

I was really excited for Alterations mainly because it was pitched as a Sabrina retelling. Which is one of my favorite movie(s). I like the old one for Audrey Hepburn, though I can’t stand Bogey and I like the new one for Harrison Ford. The point is, it’s a movie I’m always watching when I have a bad day and I was excited to see how a YA adaption would be.

This one…calling it a Sabrina retelling was a stretch. Some people will like it better than me, but I really did
Tomes And Textiles
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
This is a solid 3.5 rounded up to 4 because of local flavor (MIAMI!) and positive portrayal of the fashion industry and positive, encouraging story to follow your dreams. You can find my full review on YAWednesdays.com.
C.M. McCoy
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, 4-5-stars, ya
*This is a first pages review for North of Normal Book Reviews *

Amelia has spent her 16th birthday in bed with the flu, staring at a slice of cake she can't really eat, but her day seems on the cusp of a a turn-around.

Amelia is a character I'm not sure I like yet, but she's enough of an entertaining teenage basket-case that I want to find out. She's either delirious with fever and teen-drama-brain with short bursts of humor poking through, or she's simply a vain and overly dramatic crybaby ("eve
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

3.5*
There are a few things you need to know before we start. First, I almost didn't finish this, and I am super glad that I ended up giving it a chance, because it is quite adorable and exactly what I needed in my life at the time. Second, the problems I had with it are 100% Shannon problems, and probably won't be problems for people who are not me. I can admit when I am the problem. Usu
Melissa (thereaderandthechef)
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
*This review can also be found on YA Books Central. Huge thanks to the publisher for the review copy in exchange of my honest opinion.*

3.7 stars! (YABC rating)

I cannot stand the cuteness! Alterations by Stephanie Scott is the YA contemporary read that everyone needs in their life. It's a quick, feel-good read about a girl who loves fashion, Pinterest, and is crushing hard for one of the boys next door.

What I Liked:

First of all, I loved how the main character is Latina. It felt nice to be able to
C.P. Cabaniss
*I received a copy of this novel through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

There were parts of this I really liked, but there was a bit of a disconnect between the first quarter or so and the rest of tge novel.

Amelia was difficult for me to connect with at first because of the lying and obessession over Ethan. I did enjoy thw fashion side of things though. And she progressed nicely later on.

Liam was a cute and likable character, but I was somewhat disappointed by how insecure he was.
Beth Summer
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this book was EXACTLY what I've been needing. Fun and unique, and a beautifully woven story.
Amelia's a strong, relatable main character. I was laughing out loud at her inner monologue. I loved her time in NY and how the friends she made there and the tension she built carried through the rest of the story. Liam was a new fav book boyfriend (THANK YOU FOR A BOY WHO BUILDS APPS!! Techies rock so this was such a refreshing change from the usual book boyfriend). Amelia's relationship with her mom a
Morgan (The Bookish Beagle)
Sad to say this wasn't for me. I found the sheer volume of Amelia's lies for the first half of the book annoying and stressful, and I didn't feel like I got to truly know any of the secondary characters. It all fell flat for me. That being said, it's a great adaptation of Sabrina and I liked that Amelia's family was Latina and that she truly had goals of her own. It's worth giving a shot if you enjoy contemporary; maybe it will work better for someone else. ...more
Jen Malone
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, breezy and adorable in all ways. I loved the Sabrina undertones!
Shae
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book! This Sabrina retelling was spot on! This book was so delightful from start to finish! If you enjoy the story of Sabrina at all, pick this book up right away!
Moriah
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was adorable. Amelia found herself in the pages of this sweet, light summer romance that kept me flipping pages to find out more. When her grandmother applied for her to get into a selective fashion camp at the New York Fashion Institute - and she got in - her plans for the summer drastically changed. No longer would she have the time to stalk Ethan Laurenti all summer and convince him to fall in love with her; instead, she would enter the new and exciting world of fashion design.

Let'
Ingrid
Jul 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
When you say "book retelling of Sabrina", my expectations go way up high. Like I've mentioned several times before, the 1954 version of Sabrina is one of my favorite movies—of all time. The movie is sold by the chemistry between Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart and William Holden. Hepburn knew how to sell the ingenue/hopeless romantic trope. However, this book ended up being flat and kinda weird.

Let me start by saying that I am tired of the "Latina = maid" trope. Yes, Sabrina Fairchild is the
Melanie McFarlane
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is as sweet as its cover ❤
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
The bar is so low that the main character realising her unrequited love was actually lust and obsession early in the novel is astounding to me.
Anna Gray
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
My Rating: 3.5 stars (rounded up to four for Goodreads' rating system)

What Drew Me To This Book: Granted, I've never seen either version of the movie or the play that inspired it, but I was sold on the premise alone. What's not to like about a New York fashion internship and a love triangle between two very different brothers? It's exactly the kind of fluffy, romantic read I was looking for to read around the holidays when everything is hectic and crazy.

What Works: Amelia is a really likable and
Katy Upperman
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
My official remarks: “Stephanie Scott’s Alterations is an unputdownable blend of fashion, friendship, and fun, with a romance like the perfect accessory —unexpected and sparkling!” My unofficial comments: This Sabrina-inspired novel is all sorts of cute, but there’s a weightiness to it, too, one I really appreciate. The first half takes place in NYC, while protagonist Amelia takes part in a fashion internship, learning tons about the industry and making new friends. Over the course of the intern ...more
Debra Chapoton
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The general plot focuses on Amelia, a sixteen year old Hispanic girl whose mother and grandmother work for the very rich Laurenti family. Amelia has two passions: sewing (which serves as a wonderful fashion theme) and one of the Laurenti boys (who is the object of her daily spying). A couple of lines from the book stood out as themes that worked throughout. Here they are: “… make sure you have some focus on the present. You don’t want to miss what’s right in front of you.” And “…how is lying inn ...more
Emma
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grade: C
An e-galley was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for review consideration.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: If you love cute, fluffy romances, Alterations is the book for you. Except...I tend to like those types of books, and Alterations was not a hit for me.
I think my biggest problems had to do with Ethan, the dialogue, and Amelia's fashion interests.
The plotline with Ethan felt unoriginal, and I was just ready for Amelia to warm up to Liam and really notice him and st
Jamie Rose
3.5 stars. This was a cute contemporary romance, with a diverse cast – it’s not made much of but I believe the main character is Latinx and many of the supporting characters are from diverse backgrounds, including one who (again not explicit) seems to suffer from some form of anxiety disorder.

I enjoyed the fact that the romance was not the sole focus of the book. Amelia’s journey of self-discovery, growing in confidence, making new friends and learning who and what she wants to be, was as import
Katherine
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super cute romance, perfect for those who love fashion, Project Runway and reality television!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Legacy
  • Life's Too Short (The Friend Zone, #3)
  • The Minders
  • The Hunting Wives
  • One by One
  • The Spanish Love Deception
  • Hate (Madison Kate, #1)
  • Horrid
  • Princess Ballot (Royals of Arbon Academy, #1)
  • Bookish and the Beast (Once Upon a Con, #3)
  • Kind of a Big Deal
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)
  • Calculated (Calculated #1)
  • Eat Pray Shag (Laura the Explorer book 2)
  • Always Never Yours
  • Just Drop Out (Hannaford Prep, #1)
  • Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales #2)
Stephanie Scott is the author of young adult and contemporary romance stories about characters who put their passions first. She loves dance fitness and has a slight obsession with Instagram. She lives outside of Chicago with her tech-of-all-trades husband. Find her on Twitter and Instagram at @StephScottYA.

Sign up for her author newsletter here: https://www.subscribepage.com/n1x6s1