Start by marking “Apollo: The Brilliant One (Olympians, #8)” as Want to Read:
Apollo: The Brilliant One (Olympians, #8)

Apollo: The Brilliant One

(Olympians #8)

From high atop Olympus, the nine Muses, or Mousai, recount the story of the powerful and quick-tempered Apollo, the Brilliant One. Born of a she-wolf and Zeus, King of Gods, Apollo is destined fro the greatest of victories and most devastating of failures as his temper, privilege, and pride take him into battle with a serpent, in pursuit of a beautiful but unattainable nym ...more
Published January 26th 2016 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Apollo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apollo

Calista
I do love Mythology. I like how George has a different way of telling the myth for each novel. In this one, he uses the 9 muses who are associated with Apollo to tell 7 short stories about Apollo. I read a lot about mythology and George is always able to put in some little myth that I haven't heard of. Apollo is terribly unlucky in love. He is also a pompous ass, but compelling at the same time. I would say that he or Hermes are probably my favorite male gods in these stories.

I love George's art
Courtney
Book released on Jan. 26/16

This is another solid entry in O'Connor's Olympians series, this time covering the legends of Apollo who is best known as the sun god (but also holds healing and prophecy, among others, under his purview).
As usual, the artwork is very well-done, in the same unique style as O'Connor's other books. And following previous formats, in this book readers can find extras such as Character profiles, as well as interesting facts and notes that O'Connor collected while research
First Second Books
Mar 11, 2016 marked it as first-second-publications
We're always excited to publish a new graphic novel by George O'Connor! And how awesome that it's an annual occurrence.

(And I think that the gold foil on the cover of this book is an especially good use of foil!)

Check this latest Olympians book out for more mythological adventures!
Katie
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I didn't think this one was as strong as the others. I felt having the muses tell Apollo's stories was distracting, especially the one where the narrative panels were interrupted with interpretive dance. However, other readers might enjoy this ambitious technique. It could also have been less enjoyable because Apollo is just not that sympathetic and interesting of a character when compared to other Olympians. I was moved, however, at the ending as it revisited the beginning. Nicely done there.
Kaethe Douglas
I've written before about how much I love this series of mythology biographies. They are so good that you should read them all right now if you haven't already, and also, buy copies for all the kids you know, who will also love them. If you don't know any kids, make sure the local library has them.

One of the great things about them is that in the extensive back matter O'Connor explains his choices and decisions as to which stories to include and how. Great stuff.

Library copy
David
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
4.0

Not my favorite Greek God and not my favorite in the series, but I learned a lot.
Kara
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: myth

This was… not the best of O’Connor’s Olympians series. The muses take turns telling a series of little stories about Apollo, but there’s no feel of an overreaching arch or connection besides the fact they are linear, so first you see Apollo as baby, then Apollo as adult, etc. and there is the very loose connecting theme of “inspiration.”

The muses were more interesting in their different approaches to storytelling than the god himself. A book focusing on the muses themselves might have worked be
Lindsay
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, jan2017
I actually liked Apollo's story. I wasn't sure I would, but it was quite enjoyable.
Becky B
The nine Muses introduce readers to Apollo.

Oh man, is this one hard to rate. So none of the Greek gods are particularly upstanding guys, but Apollo is quite the jerk. He is so egotistical, a bit psychopathic, and highly hypocritical. He falls in love will all sorts of people (several girls and a guy in this story collection, he's not picky), but the penalty for anyone to be untrue to him or spurn him is pretty much always death. Oh, and if you think you're better than him at anything, he'll kill
Siina
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Err, I don't know why the story was told twice, perhaps there was some error with the assembling or something like it? I've always loved Greek mythology since I was in junior high. Basically I know a lot about it and thus it was fun to read this to see how much I still remembered. Apollo is surely a great character, though the instances used in this comic were scarce and kind of sporadic. In a way this comic suffers from a lack of structure. Apollo: The Brilliant One would've needed "a plot" or ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of this series and Apollo was all that I expected it to be. O'Connor has changed his narrative style several times with these books and here he switches once more from just telling a narrative tale. The nine muses gather together to tell us several of Apollo's deeds and misadventures through their eyes, letting Apollo speak for himself frequently so we don't miss out on his self-idolatry pomposity. Apollo is only out for himself and it is hard to care for him, especially when a gi ...more
Barbara
I'm a firm fan of this series focusing on Gods and Goddesses of Mount Olympus and was thrilled to find a book devoted to Apollo. The son of Zeus and a she-wolf, Apollo is blessed with many gifts, but he is also has many imperfections or character flaws. As the Muses who tell his story make abundantly clear, Apollo has long inspired humans, partly because of his greatness, but also because he possesses so many of the foibles of humans. His arrogance about his musical talent leads him to a terribl ...more
Dan
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
He was stunning.

He was an inspiration.

He was ruthless & vengeful.

Apollo was pure bliss and pure sorrow, but nothing in between.

As always, O'Connor delivers a great narrative based on his research and artistic style. But in this collection, I especially enjoyed the creative use of episodic stories from the point of view of seven of the muses themselves. In doing so, O'Connor creates much needed distance between the reader & the nearly unknowable & tragic Greek God, Apollo.

The unique n
Misty
I love this series. I'm a huge mythology nerd, and have been for literally as long as I can remember (one of my earliest memories is of repeated watchings of Clash of the Titans with my dad. I think we drove my mom nuts with how much we watched that movie, and similar others), so this series is always a win for me. This one is interesting because it's told by each of the Muses, in turn, so you're kind of getting a two-for-one: Apollo and the Muses.
On a personal note: I delighted in seeing Apoll
Christina Taylor
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sequential-art, ya
Readers who enjoy Greek mythology will also enjoy O’Connor’s latest addition to this series about the Olympians. Although this title is a collection of vignettes that present lesser known aspects of the god’s personality, both its content and treatment are less brilliant than the immediate predecessor about Ares. Therefore, I recommend that this title only be acquired as an additional purchase with the intent to complete a series - rather than based on its stand-alone merits.
Courtney
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked it, but I kept waiting for the story about how he pulled the sun...or some other story about the sun. I guess my education in mythology was under-informed, because it's possible that he may not have had that role...? I'm so confused, but I wish that O'Conner would have addressed that. I believe that he hinted at it in his foot notes, but I would have preferred a straightforward comment.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Another good volume in the Olympians series! The art continues to be very well done, and the stories make for some very artistic scenes. Each of Apollo's tales are told from the point of view of one (or more) Muses, making for an interesting story dynamic.

Received a copy of this in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Full review will be up on my blog in July 2015.
MC Bonet
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another great book about the Olympians from George O'Connor. Truth be told, I love these books. It brings the legends and myths of these gods in an easy to understand format with great art.
Like a lot of these gods, Apollo is full of himself.
A caution to some young readers, some of the stories of Apollo are a bit too violent.
Austin Phadoungsyavong
I wonder Zeus have more children from human woman make me hard think what his plan for Zeus want new family then whatever about Apollo want future or something when he was child and nothing answer maybe he get future and became archer god.
Tera
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not great it was still a good book. Only fault for me was that it wasn't as strong as the previous ones. I'd suggest new readers of the series start with Apollo and then read the others.
arc from NetGalley
Kirsten
Nov 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another worthy addition to a great series. I liked the way the Muses tied everything together. The footnotes, as always, add a lot to this version and point out some of the interesting choices O'Connor made.
Maximilian Lee
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book because it was had a lot of information. I didn't know about most of the book at first.
OpenBookSociety.com
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scott

Apollo: The Brilliant One
The Olympians Book 8
By George O’Connor
ISBN 978-1-62672-015-2
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Scott

For lovers of Greek mythology, Apollo: The Brilliant One is not going to offer anything new to your folklore except, perhaps, for a change of view. Tracing the most “Greek” of all the deities, George O’Connor, exposes seven tales of the Brilliant one, Apollo of Olympus. The tales are by no means unusual for Greek mythos, but the stories
Marsha
Apollo, like a lot of the Greek gods, didn’t necessarily have one sphere of influence. He was the god of magic, the arts, healing, archery and plagues (Wth?!? That’s news to me!). But, if most people think of him, they remember his affinity for the arts, those splendid gifts that raise humans from the mere muck from which they are created. Music, literature, dance, poetry, history, et al., are all seen as things under his powerful influence. What’s not to love about all that?

As always, Mr. O’Co
Alina Liu
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, Apollo's mom suffered through a lot to deliver Artemis and him.
Kimber
This is a trimmed down version of my review, to view the full review visit The Book Ramble.

In the eighth book of the Olympians series by George O'Connor the muses, or mousai, tell 7 tales of Apollo, all displaying his faults and his humanity, which O'Connor presents as a way of showing that Apollo, the most Greek of the gods, was also the most human, and it is this humanity that enamors so many to him.

O'Connor has taken on a difficult god in this book because Apollo doesn't have this massive ove
Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)
Unlike the previous installments of the Olympian series, Apollo's graphic novel is narrated by the nine Muses who were also worshiped along with the Greek deity. Each muse tells a different story featuring Apollo and they all paint him as a tragic hero "who has had many loves, but whose loves seldom prosper."
O'Connor successfully shows different aspects of Apollo's personality through a variety of myths, some of which I was familiar with before and a few others that I did not know. We witness A
Connor Bates
Apollo (Olympians #8) by George O’Connor is a comic book style graphic novel about the life of the Greek God, Apollo. Although I found it difficult to read personally due to having little experience with graphic novels, I can see how this book can be of interest to other readers, specifically upper middle school and high schoolers.

O’Connor does an amazing job syncing the emotions of the characters in the story with the illustrations. The theme and tone can be felt before you even read a word
Ang
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Apollo: The Brilliant One is about Apollo and how he came to be. We also get to meet his mother Leto and his sister Artemis and his nine muses. Each muse helps to tell us tales of Apollo, good and bad. The first tale is about how Leto gave birth to Artemis and Apollo, in the following story we see Apollo defeat the serpent python and how he created Delphi out of Pythia. We also witness the tale of Daphne and how she became a tree, and how Apollo came to be adorned in laurels. We also get to lear ...more
Aerion
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Greek mytholog
This is my first one, but it seems this series by O'Connor would be fantastic to read, synthesizing the stories of the Greek gods & goddesses into interesting and digestible stories. What I like most about this book is you can see O'Connor's personality shine through the novel. For example, he makes funny jokes during the G[r]eek Notes which is a joke in itself. He also provides further reading broken down into reading levels, young reading and adult/mature readers. So I really liked his bei ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fable Comics
  • The Fall of the House of West
  • Science Comics: Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette, #2)
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula
  • Princess Ugg Vol. 1
  • Alamo All-Stars (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #6)
  • Of Mice and Magic (Hamster Princess, #2)
  • Defiance (Resistance, #2)
  • Stickman Odyssey, Book 1: An Epic Doodle
  • Gryphons Aren't So Great (Adventures in Cartooning picturebook, #2)
  • The Cobalt Prince (5 Worlds, #2)
  • I Am Pan!
  • Hippopotamister
George O'Connor is the author of several picture books, including the New York Times bestseller Kapow!, Kersplash, and Sally and the Some-thing. JOURNEY INTO MOHAWK COUNTRY was his first graphic novel, a long-held dream that weaves together his passion for history and ongoing research into Native American life. He's also the author/illustrator of a new picture book, If I Had a Raptor.
He lives in

Olympians (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Zeus: King of the Gods (Olympians, #1)
  • Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)
  • Hera: The Goddess and Her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)
  • Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)
  • Artemis: Wild Goddess of the Hunt (Olympians, #9)
  • Hermes: Tales of the Trickster (Olympians, #10)
  • Hephaistos: God of Fire (Olympians, #11)