Start by marking “Without Light or Guide (Los Nefilim, #2)” as Want to Read:
Without Light or Guide (Los Nefilim, #2)

Without Light or Guide

(Los Nefilim #2)

The fate of mankind has nothing to do with mankind…

Always holding themselves aloft from the affairs of mortals, Los Nefilim have thrived for eons. But with the Spanish Civil War looming, their fragile independence is shaken by the machinations of angels and daimons…and a half-breed caught in-between.

For although Diago Alvarez has pledged his loyalty to Los Nefilim, there a
Published November 3rd 2015 by Harper Voyager Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Without Light or Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Light or Guide

Joel
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full review on my blog - https://totalinabilitytoconnect.wordp...

Note: ARC provided by author/publisher, but I’ma buy this anyway :)

A couple years ago, I went through a phase where I was trying to broaden my reading horizons (away from my steady diet of exclusively epic fantasy). A friend personally recommended Teresa Frohock’s Miserere to me, while chatting at a book signing. I was intrigued by his description, and his enthusiasm towards the merits of the book sold it to me. Needless to say, I
Wendy
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
With thanks to the publisher for an opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

There are so many unique things about this urban fantasy, not the least of which is the setting. Typical urban fantasy takes you to current American city streets, but here we walk alleys and roads and tunnels in Spain, with the Spanish Civil War looming on the horizon. We also have a a main protagonist who is older than usual, and an approach to magic that toys with your senses.
Mia
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WITHOUT LIGHT OR GUIDE is a dark urban fantasy story of hope-- not the blind faith that good shall necessarily triumph over evil, but that resistance to evil, however token or futile it may be, will always have intrinsic meaning.

Frohock creates great peril and formidable foes. Against these forces she holds up Diago, part angel, part daimon, and marked by both. He is burdened by betrayal, cruelty and wrongdoings in his past, distrust and discrimination in his present, uncertainty and dangers in
Jon Adams
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love these tales and wish I had stumbled on them earlier. This is yet another find I have to think Mark Lawrence for.

I can't believe this book only has 30 reviews. C'mon people.
Saphirablue
Stephanie Ward
'Without Light or Guide' is the second novella in the Los Nefilim series. It continues to follow Diago Alvarez, who is half angel and half daimon, but has chosen to side with Los Nefilim. He's still not trusted among the other Nefilim, who believe that his daimonic side will take over and he will become evil. To make matters worse, Diago's father - a Nefil who sold his soul to a daimon - makes a reappearance. As Diago attempts to prove his loyalty to the other Nefilim - all of the mortals that h ...more
Beth
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Since it had been a while (over a year... really?) since I read the first installment of Los Nefilim, "In Midnight's Silence," the brief "what has gone before" section at the beginning of the second, "Without Light or Guide," was very welcome.

A good portion of this novella was devoted to setting up the pieces on the Nefilim's bigger chessboard, and investigations to figure out just who those pieces are, and what their intentions might be. Some of the background of the current Nefilim is also fi
Stephanie
Dec 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Picking up shortly after In Midnight’s Silence, Diago, a half angel and half diamon must prove his allegiance to the Nefilim, a group of angels that monitor demons. With trouble brewing in both the supernatural realm and the mortal realm with the eve of the Spanish Civil War, Diago finds himself once again in the middle of a lot of trouble. Everyone the Diago knows in Barcelona is being murdered; Diago, his partner Miquel and other Nefilim begin to investigate. The issues that arise affect both ...more
Kathleen (QueenKatieMae)
I never thought I would say this about a horror novel, but, Without Light or Guide is beautifully written, I care about it's characters, and the scenes involving the family actually made me cry. It's a love story, a horror story, a thriller, an urban fantasy; it has it all.

Taking place in Barcelona, as the Spanish Civil War looms ominously, a daemon, Diago, is deeply in love with a member of the Los Nefilim, his lover Miquel. Diago's son, Rafael, recently joined the loving family of the two men
Kelley
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love good, character driven dark fantasy and this delivers. The struggle between light and dark in these novellas is riveting. The characters battle their own natures as well as outside forces and this creates a suspenseful, thoughtful narrative. My only whine is that they are novellas instead of novels - they are over too soon! I want to spend more time in this complex, fascinating world with Diago, Miquel and Rafael.
Emma
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this series. Diago is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters, and I love Barcelona as a setting. This one is a bit quieter than the previous as the plot takes a back seat to the characters and we see Diago develop and let go of some of his burdens.
This isn't to say there isn't a strong plot and events in this one do a nice job of setting up the 3rd novella and I'll be interested in seeing where things go from here.
Mieneke
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2015
Loved it. Will write a full review once I've read the omnibus edition of all three novellas.
Bart
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read, fantasy
Actual rating: 5.00
T.O. Munro
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I treasure ARCs. Those advance review copies which can be procured by attracting attention through virtuously diligent blogging, or perhaps just by whining in the right ear like a plaintive five year old with sufficient tenacity to crumble all resistance. I leave you to guess which approach has secured me two ARCs in as many weeks.

Without Light or Guide is part two of Theresa Frohock's new series "Los Nefilim" where angels and daimons do battle in the mortal realm against the backdrop of the lo
Chris
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Without Light or Guide is the second in Teresa Frohock’s “Los Nefilim” series of novella. Set in the Spain of the nineteen-thirties, it follows some members of Los Nefilim – the children of Angels – as they struggle with defining themselves, whilst working for or against schemes pushed by their angelic overlords and daemonic opponents.

Frohock’s Spain remains as vividly detailed as ever. The sense of a society on the brink of change remains, and is even exacerbated. There’s a feeling of hidden co
Deb
No matter how well each book stands on its own, I have a *thing* about reading a series in order, so when the chance to read this second book in the Los Nefilim series, I asked for a copy of the first book, In Midnight's Silence. So you know that as usual, I am going to recommend that you start with In Midnight's Silence too--both e-books are only .99 cents right now on Amazon, they are quick read novellas, and both are interesting and enjoyable stories--so well worth it. But, just in case you d ...more
Liz
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it

Without Light or Guide picks up soon after the events of In Midnight’s Silence, after Diago has rescued his son from Moloch, ruler of the daimons, who wishes to use young Rafael for his own empowerment. Diago and his husband Miquel begin to put their lives in order with the addition of Rafael, while trying to get to the bottom of the conflict between the angels, daimons, and angel-born Nefilim to whom they are both sworn.

Part 1930’s noir, part urban fantasy, Without Light or Guide explores human

Heather Allen
This review was first published on Around the World in 80 Books!

See my review of In Midnight’s Silence (Los Nefilm #1)here.

Without Light or Guide begins a few weeks after the events of In Midnight’s Silence. Diago is concerned about the welfare of his son, and how he sees his relationship with Miquel, and further, is concerned that he is a target of a smear campaign within the Nefilm that accuses him of siding with the daimons (since he’s half-daimon). (Thankfully, this, and other pertinent info
Simon Ellberger
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of a connected trilogy of novellas about Los Nefilim. The first was "In Midnight's Silence," which I rated as five stars. This middle novella keeps up the high level of writing, with prose that ranges from the ethereal to the dark language of horror. The characters gain added complexity, and the worldbuilding grows in size. It's a world that includes enigmatic angels, chthonic daimons, clannish Nefilim, and easily-controlled mortals. The lines between good and evil are as murk ...more
Kenny Soward
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoying this world. There's a warmth to it but at the same time enough going on to keep the tension high. Still, not a lot of twists and turns although I'm curious to see how a couple pieces play out. Mostly I like this series for the atmosphere, the warm relationships between the characters (again, not a lot of twists and turns there), and because it's just a really well-done monster series.
Beth Cato
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This second novella in the series develops more in the world of angel versus demon against a backdrop of 1930s Spain. I adore the dark fantasy elements--it gets downright creeptastic at times--but I especially love the fond relationship between Diago and his partner, Miquel, and Diago's young son. I can't help but want a happy ending for the family but I'm so very afraid for them.
Marian
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part two.

I am really enjoying these novellas. The chromesthesia was fascinating and used to lovely effect at the end. Love the characters' relationships. I look forward to the next installment.
Nathan Garrison
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A satisfying follow up to "In Midnight's Silence", this book delves even deeper into the already intriguing characters and the simmering conflict between supernatural forces. It's only flaw, as a novella, was that it ended too soon. Can't wait for the next installment in the Los Nefilim saga!
Arun
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved, love, loved it. Characters- they shine out from Teresa's pen. Magic is low, but story expands and we come to know the allegiances and the cracks inside them. The protagonist is extremely well handled. I can't wait for the next novella.
Michelle Hauck
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These shorts keep better and better. A very real element of creepiness to this one. And I really enjoy learning more about Diago and Miquel, seeing their relationship strengthen. My only regret is it wasn't longer.
Kendra
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent follow up to In Midnight's Silence.
Odo
Shelves: fantasy
Absolutely wonderful!
« previous 1 3 next »
Website is at tfrohock.com

T. Frohock has turned a love of history and dark fantasy into tales of deliciously creepy fiction. A real-life cyborg, T has a cochlear implant, meaning she can turn you on or off with the flick of a switch. Make of that what you will. She currently lives in North Carolina, where she has long been accused of telling stories, which is a southern colloquialism for lying.

Los Nefilim (5 books)
  • In Midnight's Silence (Los Nefilim, #1)
  • The Second Death (Los Nefilim, #3)
  • Where Oblivion Lives (Los Nefilim, #4)
  • Los Nefilim Book 5
“It was better to see clearly. Even the ugliness of the world had its place. Eventually,” 1 likes
“Is that an olive branch?” “Take it or burn it.” Garcia” 0 likes