Start by marking “Translucent” as Want to Read:
Translucent

Translucent

(Translucent #1)

When a meteorite falls near her campsite in the San Rafael Wilderness, troubled teen Leona Hewitt ventures down into the crater looking for a souvenir. What she discovers changes her life.

Contained in the meteorite is a sticky, mucous-like fluid that bends light, cannot itself be seen, and seems to grow in the presence of living tissue. It’s drawn to her.

But when a gover
Published March 19th 2015 by Burning Ember Press (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Translucent, please sign up.

Helen 2.0
The sticky membrane clamped over my nose and mouth, and for a panicked few seconds, I choked on it. Then it expanded into my lungs and fused to my skin, became one with my body. It was now my skin.
No, Leona, said the voice in my head.
You're now my skin.

What an incredible, unique premise for a YA book. Translucent combines elements of several genres; the story reads like a murder mystery/thriller with young characters and a very dark, eerie sci-fi undercurrent. This combination could have faile
Donita Luz
Oct 27, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazing-cover
Dude, I did a double take when I saw the cover of this book which I think is a splitting image of Shattered Blue.

descriptiondescription

uhh, Both covers are gorgeous, but seriously did they use the same model or what?
i.
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even if this is meant to be a science fiction novel and aliens and dark matter are an important part of the book. This is a story about GUILT , the kind of consuming guilt that Leona and Megan feel because of a reckless mistake they had made and tried to cover up.

"You want to know what it feels like?It feels like I'm dead inside . Like I'm hollow. That's what it feels like for me, and that's how it's always going to feel."-Leona says.

At the beginning I liked Leona and Megan, but then they starte
S. Policar
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***Since my copy of this book is an ARC, I cannot speak of any errors I may have or may not have found***

While I've heard of Mr. Rix and his work before (I've been on his mailing list for a long time), I'd never gotten the chance to actually read anything by him before. I'm glad this book was my first glimpse into the worlds he weaves.

Translucent follows Leona Hewitt, a teenager with a few secrets that alter her life forever. It also gives the reader in depth glances into the lives of her frien
Laura Thalassa
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
E.P.I.C. That is all.
Kirstie Ellen
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
Yeah so I'm leaving this one at a 2-star rating. To say it wasn't my cup of tea is an understatement. The blurb doesn't really give much away but this is the perfect book to freak you out when it comes to being worried about someone being in your house. Whilst I was hooked on the mystery of what on earth the main character had done to cause her so much anxiety and the mystery of this meteorite - a lot happened and nothing, literally, was resolved. I'm creeped out o
Rebecca McNutt
Translucent was a little odd, but it was a very original story. It's not very often that young adult novels feature this sort of scenario so it was interesting to read something new for a change.
Casey Carlisle
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A great little science fiction read. It starts off cliché, and the protagonist, Leona, annoyed me many times. But the concept of the mythology is very interesting. ‘Translucent’ has been a great introduction into Dan Rix and his writing.

I must admit, the cover is what attracted me to this book – and don’t get confused – there is another novel by Lauren Bird Horowitz with a very similar cover. (Why do publishers do that?) But once I read the blurb, the addition of sci-fi and an alien substance th
Pam
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young adult science fiction, well done. The author was able to capture the extreme emotions and insecurities of two young girls who not only did something awful by accident, now they have exposed themselves to something very alien. As the story unwinds, it's hard to tell if this 'essence' is alive or not. Lots of subplots going on in the background. Made for a good read. Curious enough now to want to read the next one.
Patricia Kaniasty
Very unique story but very boring also. None of the characters were interesting or developed very well.
Pete Tarsi
Imagine a substance that when stretched over an object (or a person) will render it (s/he) invisible. That alone was enough incentive for me to buy this book. I’ve always been fascinated with the concept of invisibility, particularly how individual authors would deal with the specifics and the physics of it. If someone’s invisible but their clothes aren’t, what happens? What happens when the person eats; can the food still be seen? How can an invisible person see if the light passes right throug ...more
Candice
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had so much I wanted to say about Translucent, and how Dan Rix is an amazing author, but I saw Summer Jane's review on amazon, and freaked out...that's exactly how I felt!! Soooo goood!

Translucent is a thrilling adventure that had me on the edge of my seat at times but never feels rushed or cliche and it's definitely not dull in any way. At all.

Okay, so, you know how many, many books in this genre have fallen prey to the "insta-love" or "this thing that is happening is magical or scientific, b
Jalyssa
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Mr. Rix's novel Broken Symmetry, I immediately subscribed to his mailing list. It then led me one evening to actually read my email and come across an opprotunity to recieve an ACR copy of his new novel, Translucent, in exchange for an honest review. So let's get into it.

The story is set in Santa Barbara and told by teenager Leona Hewitt who, at the start of the story, already has a huge problem causing some tension between her and her best friend Megan. First off, I loved the way
Phoebe
(I received this book through Goodreads Giveaways. Review may contain spoilers.)

Translucent tells the story of Leona and Megan, two teenage girls who find a meteorite in the woods. The girls discover a substance on the meteorite that gives them the power of invisibility, which naturally they use to get themselves into and out of various sticky situations. Meanwhile, the girls are wracked with guilt over something terrible that they did at the beginning of the summer...
I really liked the way the
Debbi DuBose
I won this book through a Goodreads Giveaway and the following is my review of: Translucent by Dan Rix. This is an incredibly fascinating book especially for teen readers. Leona and her best friend are camping in the San Rafael Mountains near their homes in California. They wanted to be alone to talk over a tragedy that had occurred involving them. But, that night a meteorite hit earth less than half a mile from where they were camping! Leona went down into the whole and grabbed a piece of the m ...more
Anna Tan
Leona Hewitt has secrets to hide and the strange meteorite she and her best friend, Megan, found in the San Rafael Wilderness is just one of them. The longer Leona holds on to the little rock, the more possessive she is about it. And then she realises that the strange gooey stuff that rolls off the rock can make her invisible.

As much as I love Dan Rix (his writing, I mean), I have to say that this one didn't quite cut it for me. Maybe because Leona Hewitt is the kind of girl that I avoid in rea
Rainey
It's disappointing to have to write this review, because I feel like this author has so much potential. The characters feel like real teens with believable lives and families, but the story itself is poorly executed. It feels as though the author had several ideas for several different stories and decided to smash them all together. Is it paranormal? Is it sci-fi? Is it a YA drama? Romance? It is all of them and none. Had I been the editor, I would have advised the author to pare down the tropes ...more
Vered
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A highly unusual storyline and well written. The book opens up with two bits of information: an asteroid crashes near a camp site, and the two girls who witness the crash have a dark secret of their own. From there on, the intensity ratchets up as the story toggles between the secret of the girls and the secret of the asteroid. I highly recommend this series. Warning: if you are one of those people who get all uppity about cliff-hanger endings, you have two choices: don't read the first book or ...more
Kristin
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book free from a goodreads giveaway.
It took me a while to get into. At first I thought I wasn't going to like it at all. But once I got about 5 chapters in I couldn't stop. The characters are really typical teenagers but the all around concept keeps it interesting. I don't know if it was the story that kept me reading or the way it was written. I'd finish a chapter and go "Okay just one more and then I'm going to sleep" and before I knew it I was at the end of the book. I will defini
Jonathan
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This picks up slow with a few misused words (a "by" that should be "my", both are glaring on pages 1 and 9), but from there it picks up into a story that's both decent, and original; and one that never fully settles; making me wonder which direction both of the sequels will go. It was completely different from most other novels in the genre; and allowed you to pass through the story fairly quickly. Overall, it was worth the read.
Jes Caruss
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mind bender

Dan Rix has created an unbelievably twisted tale that has even my scientist brain thinking "what if". I was able to read a pre-release of the second book in this series and man, hold on to you seats folks! This ride gets crazy! I cannot wait for the third book to be written (and I typically get board after the first two books in a series), so if you want to read a little sci-for al la classic X-Files, Translucent is the way to go!
Lee
I received Translucent for free through a Goodreads giveaway.
And it was awesome.
The story follows two friends who share the burden of a secret. It seems it will tear apart their friendship or already has. Things start to pick up for the two girls once an asteroid hits their nearby camping spot and an intense adventure unfurls.
I loved the writing style and the characters. I was surprised and taken with the story line. I'm looking forward to checking out the next book in the series.
Fs
I received this book off of the Goodreads Giveaways. First of all, the cover was very eye-catching, which was what prompted me into entering the giveaway in the first place. The book is very well thought out and the plot is well developed, as are the characters. The novel was highly interesting and I am sure to go in for a second read!
Carol
Feb 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book like an anxiety attack. Everything was all over the place, the thoughts of the main character was filled with so much guilt and anxiety, I could barely detect the plot. This wasn't something good as a light read. Would never recommend.
Andrea
Jan 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 2016
I read a bit over half of this book and just could not finish it. I hated the two female characters. They are the type of girls I would have punched in the throat when I was in high school. I thought this would be a good read, but I was way wrong.
Brandy
This was a good book. It's different from any story I've read & that's harder for me to find these days. When you think you know where the story's going from the beginning, as in the case with this book, it's nice to be surprised.
Elyse
Apr 30, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Translucent (Translucent, #1) by Dan Rix VS. Shattered Blue (The Light, #1) by Lauren Bird Horowitz Cover Battle!
Author Viviana
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was written amazingly. Some books you can predict what is going to happen next, not with this book. it had me on the edge of my seat. i thouroghly enjoyed it. I am currently reading the second book, in this series.
Sean Randall
Despite a supremely, superbly annoying ending, this had proper thrillingly terrifying scenes for the unwary teen. Recommended, if you've got the next one to hand - it's one of those that needs the follow-on so you can... er... follow on.
Teresa
Jan 27, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
* eBook received from author via Instafreebies *
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 27, 2015 09:29AM

• UnEarthed (UnEarthed, #1)
  • Birth of the Guardian: The Eighth Dragon
  • Asylum 54.0 (The Bionics Saga Book 1)
  • Into the Adyton (Renaria, #1)
  • Time Heist (Firstborn Saga #1)
  • The Artful (Shadows of the City, #1)
  • Colonization (Paradise Reclaimed, #1)
  • In Another Life
  • The Gene Pull
  • Snap
  • Haywire
  • Elevated (Elevated Saga, #1)
  • Tomorrows Child
  • Forsworn (The Last Oracle, #2)
  • Chasing Echoes
  • The House at Lobster Cove
  • Missing You
  • Lost on Mars

Translucent (6 books)
  • Of Starlight (Translucent, #2)
  • Ash and Darkness (Translucent, #3)
  • Slaying Shadows (Translucent, #4)
  • Black Sun (Translucent, #5)
  • Demon in Sight (Translucent, #6)