Start by marking “The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #18; Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #27)” as Want to Read:
The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #18; Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #27)

The Crossing

(Harry Bosch #18)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  42,597 ratings  ·  3,213 reviews
Detective Harry Bosch has retired from the LAPD, but his half-brother, defense attorney Mickey Haller, needs his help. A woman has been brutally murdered in her bed and all evidence points to Haller's client, a former gang member turned family man. Though the murder rap seems ironclad, Mickey is sure it's a setup.

Bosch doesn't want anything to do with crossing the aisle to
Published November 3rd 2015 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Crossing, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Seb The book would have been stronger had it included more on the dark side of the killer, not to mention an actual mystery as to who the killer might be,…moreThe book would have been stronger had it included more on the dark side of the killer, not to mention an actual mystery as to who the killer might be, instead of the frequent bad guy/killer pov narrative, which didn't add much to the story aside from taking away the mystery. Like one poster said, the bit where Ellis stomps the homeless man to death was about as revealing as anything with regard to his mindset and why the Lexi Parks murder was so brutal.(less)
Christine Parker I think there is plenty of info on the characters back stories to easily make this a stand alone.Warning though...you'll be hooked and need to read…moreI think there is plenty of info on the characters back stories to easily make this a stand alone.Warning though...you'll be hooked and need to read all the others and I know cos it happened to me!(less)

·  42,597 ratings  ·  3,213 reviews

Start your review of The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #18; Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #27)
James Thane
The twenty-third entry in this excellent series is among the very best, and that's saying quite a lot. As an L.A.P.D. homicide detective, Harry Bosch has pretty much always gone his own way, often alienating his bosses, partners and others, but almost always producing results in the end that no one else could have achieved. Finally, though, he goes a step too far and, although he solves a particularly complex case, his methods give his snarky boss a chance to finally get rid of him. Harry pulls ...more
Andrew Smith
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Connelly is a class act and in Harry Bosch hes created one of the best crime stoppers in contemporary fiction fact! Connelly has also demonstrated an ability to branch off and develop additional compelling characters, like Mickey Haller (The Lincoln Lawyer). Hes previously brought Bosch and Haller together and established a link but here, for the first time, he pairs them up to work in unison on a case.

The idea of working with Haller to defend a man accused of a brutal murder is
Diane S ☔
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Connelly writes some of the best police procedurals around. Pairing Bosch, with Heller was pure genius. Never one to settle for easy answers, Bosch pursues justice wherever it takes him. He needs to understand how everything is pieced together, find out who is guilty and what they had to gain. Haller, is a master in the courtroom, can use the tiniest bit of information to create doubt and free his client. In this case, thanks to Bosch, temporarily, well maybe, working for the dark side. No ...more
Barbara
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it

In this 18th book in the 'Harry Bosch' series, the homicide detective reluctantly agrees to help his half-brother Mickey Haller defend an alleged murderer. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

Harry Bosch has lost his job as a homicide detective for the LAPD (again) and is at loose ends. At the same time Harry's half-brother, attorney Mickey Haller (The Lincoln Lawyer), is defending former gang member Da'Quan Foster, who's accused of raping and murdering assistant city manager Lexi Park.

Shruti
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Today is the last day of 2019 and I have just finished reading The Crossing. I'm officially a Michael Connelly fan. Big time.

The Crossing is the eighteenth book in the Harry Bosch series but it was the book that introduced me to this author. You don't have to have read any of the previous books to read this one.

The Crossing starts with us being introduced to Harry Bosch, an ex cop who was forced to retire from the LAPD and is suing the department with the help of his half-brotheralso known as
Liz
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another well done Harry Bosch novel. This time, Harry is playing for the opposing side, helping his half brother Micky Haller. He struggles for a long time with the whole idea of crossing over to the dark side, as he thinks of the defense.
As always, this is a convoluted tale with lots of twists and turns. Even though you know who the bad guys are, it's the means by which Harry unravels the clues that provides the intrigue.
I listened to the audio book and the narrator does a good job. He even
Jonetta
Harry Bosch is officially retired from the LAPD after having been forced out for (of course) political agendas. Hes not going out quietly and has hired brother Mickey Haller to represent him in his suit against the city. When Mickey asks him to serve as his investigator for a client hes certain is innocent, obviously Harry is reluctant to play on the team for the other side but agrees to look into it for him. The more he probes, the more hes convinced that Mickeys client was set up to cover up ...more
Thomas
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: connelly, us-legal
I really enjoy reading Michael Connelly's books. This is a 5 star read. You learn early on who the bad guys are but all the various threads in the plot come together gradually in a very satisfying conclusion. Harry Bosch is asked by his half brother, Mickey Haller, a lawyer, to become his new investigator. Haller's previous investigator, Cisco, was badly injured when a car cut off his motorcycle in traffic. Haller is convinced his client, Da'Quan Foster is innocent of the murder that he is ...more
L.A. Starks
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Superb, as always. A few political glitches that maybe half or less of readers will notice. Beyond that, Connelly doesn't waste a clue and develops Bosch even further when he crosses (double meaning in the title) to defense work to catch a killer.

Wonderful pacing and, as always, I like the southern California setting. Bosch is a master.
Michael
There is an elegance to this police procedural, but an emotional flatness had me rating it as average among the many great ones in the series. Harry Boschs pursuit of small clues slowly begin to open doors on a tough case, and as he gets closer more murders help convince him he is in the right track. But he better put it together fast and good because he is liable to become a target too. He may still be the Lone Coyote but his teenaged daughter needs him, so he better take care.

The brutal rapes
Alex is The Romance Fox
Okay, I must be honest and admit that I was a bit apprehensive where Harry Bosch would go next after the last book, The Burning Room. Michael Connellys Harry Bosch Series is one of my favorite crime series and I always eagerly wait for the next installment.

So, The Crossing, the 20th book in the series takes us on Harry Bosch, the maverick cop now forced with early retirement from the LAPDnew career move.

Unable to bear with nothing to do in his life, he decides to take on an investigation for his
Brenda
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I knew that Harry had retired from LAPD and was curious how that was going to work out in this book. Connelly found a way! The title is very symbolic: Harry crossing to the "dark side," perp and victim crossing paths, cops crossing lines. It remains to be seen if Harry wins his lawsuit, and I have no idea where Connelly is headed with Harry next.

The one irritant for me in this book is Maddy. I really don't like her attitude. I find it hard to have sympathy for her.

I laughed out loud at Chapter
Linda
Well, now. If you are a Michael Connelly follower, this is like being served breakfast in bed. The coffee is steaming hot and the eggs are as light as an angel's wings. It's deeply satisfying.

Connelly brings our two favorites together in a storyline that sparks like a tragic tango on a Saturday night. It's all in the foot placement. Harry Bosch, forcibly retired from the LAPD, is still licking deep wounds when he is approached by his half-brother, Mickey Haller, the famous/infamous Lincoln
Brenda
4.5s

When Harry Boschs half-brother, Mickey Haller asked him to assist in proving a client innocent, Harry immediately said no. His retirement from the LAPD six months prior still rankled, but he didnt want to work for the defence, which would mean he had crossed over to the other side. No respect would be garnered there. But the more he discovered about the case, the more he realized that Haller was probably right and that meant there was still a killer out there. Thats what Harry did best;
Rob
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
What a great read, again!
Harry Bosch, like a good wine, just gets better with age.

Harry now retired from the LAPD and with his life on hold whilst he is suing the LAPD for forcing him into retirement. His attorney in this endeavour is no other than his brother, Mickey Haller.
Mickey has a client that Mickey is convinced is innocent of the murder he has been charged with. Mickeys own investigator has been involved in a serious motor bike accident and is now sidelined for the foreseeable future.
Gary
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
The 20th book in the Harry Bosch series by the talented Michael Connelly.
Having read and enjoyed virtually everything this author has ever written I always felt that I was going to enjoy this book. I am so familiar and comfortable with this character I could enjoy reading his shopping list but don't worry this book has a decent plot as well.

Having finished with the Police, Harry Bosch joins forces with the Lincoln Lawyer Mickey Haller to defend Leland Foster, from being convicted of a brutal
Manuel Antão
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

The Quaint Charm of an Old Friend: "The Crossing" by Michael Connelly

No cold cases this time

Connelly at his worst is still better than most crime novelists ever achieve. I think Ive said this each time I read one of the new ones just out. I would file this one under the category of a good airplane novel that passes the time on a long flight, but one that leaves readers hoping for a better outing next time. But no worries. Ill still
Lewis Weinstein
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Michael Connelly, IMO, writes the best legal mysteries out there, and this is no exception. An excellent plot, smoothly written, with interesting characters. Bosch & Haller together is a winning combination. Bosch on the defense side is terrific.
Esil
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a treat to get to read another one of Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books. I have read every book in the series, and The Crossing is another strong addition. In this latest one, Bosch has been fired from the LAPD for things that happened in the last instalment of the series, and he crosses over to help investigate a case his half brother defence lawyer Mickey Haller is working on. Haller's client is accused of a brutal murder that is based on DNA evidence. Haller is convinced that his ...more
Perry
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
All My Friends are Heathens, Take it Slow
Connelly still has the magic touch with Harry Bosch. To be sure, Connelly takes shortcuts and makes a couple of turns of story that seem a bit implausible. Yet, Bosch is such an intriguing, cool and quick-witted character, so damaged he seems real and you care what happens.

I find the Bosch books like comfort or soul food; no matter how the story is wrapped, you'll revel as you binge, not stopping (if you can help it) 'til you're finished.

This, the
Kelly Hager
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my new favorite Michael Connelly book. Okay, yes, I will fully admit that his Bosch novels are my favorites (I love his Mickey Haller ones, too, but nowhere near as much as the Bosch ones) so I was already essentially guaranteed to love it.

But The Crossing is different than the others. Obviously, since Harry's now retired, it's not going to be a police procedural like the others. But arguably an even bigger change is that he's helping Mickey (his half-brother) on a case...which is a huge
Rex Fuller
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This whipped by in nothing flat. Connelly, at the top of his and anybody elses game. Its both a Bosch (the 20th) and a Haller (6th), presumably to pull in both readerships.

Bosch is retired/forced to resign from LAPD and reluctantly crosses over to the defense side for one of Hallers cases, a murder. The client and Haller say hes innocent. Bosch soothes his conscience by telling himself if the client is really innocent someone else is guilty and Bosch needs to take him off the street. That
Skip
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
Wallowing in boredom, involuntarily retired LAPD detective Harry Bosch is asked by his half-brother, defense attorney, Mickey Haller, to help prove the innocence of his client Da'Quan Foster, in the vicious beating death of Alexandra Parks, an assistant city manger for West Hollywood. Harry has to deal with self-recrimination as he has always prosecuted criminals; the notion of defending a criminal and invoking the wrath of his brothers in blue is abhorrent. However, he has few friends on the ...more
William
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid Bosch, mostly Bosch, mostly The Mission.

Some scenes between Bosch and Haller are a bit clumsy, but mostly this is Harry's show. Thankfully.

Not too much courtroom, which I find is ponderous, especially in the modern world. No more Perry Mason..
* sighs *

One thing this story lacks, which other Bosch books don't, is the often deep insight into Harry's soul and the human condition.

Still, this is good, solid and entertaining Harry.
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
THE BEST BOSCH YET!!!

My View:
This bookthe big question now that I have read The Crossing is can this series get any better???
Yes I know I am a passionate fan of the Harry Bosch series, yes I have read every one of the twenty books in this series and yes book number nineteen was great ( and I loved the first few book in the series and pretty much loved al the rest of them) but this bookjust AMAZINGLY GOOD!

Now that fervour of admiration has been shared lets have a closer less emotional look at
Jim
Harry Bosch has always had issues with others ... partners, bosses. Especially the bosses. He is not interested in the politics in LAPD. He is a homicide detective. This has often rubbed people the wrong way. In The Crossing he has retired. He solved a tough case but not without consequence. His boss is prepared to fire him so Harry decides to pull the pin and retire. But Harry does not go quietly. He hires his half-brother Mickey Haller, The Lincoln Lawyer, and sues the department. When Mickey ...more
Carrie
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Ive been riding with Harry Bosch for the best part of 4 months now, starting more than 20 years back with his first outing in The Black Echo. Ive become so immersed in Harrys world that I now believe him to be much more than simply a fictional character, albeit one of the most fascinating Ive ever had the pleasure to read. To me, he has become real and Im very aware of the utter despair that I feel, knowing that Im coming to the end of this wonderful series.

Michael Connelly has created
Fred
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery

A great Harry Bosch book - now a Retired LAPD detective, asked by Mickey Haller, his lawyer friend & half-brother to help with the rape & murder case of Lexi Parks that points to his client, Da'Quan Foster.

He finds a link to follow of a $6,000 Royal Collector's watch bought by a Dr. Schubert & sent for repairs by his wife to a repair shop run by the Hguyen brothers, is missing. LAPD Det. Kevin Long & Don Ellis enter - they want credit in solving the case. Many deaths include
Judy Collins
Top 50 Books of 2015 " Best Audiobook (tie), Best Collaboration: Haller/ Bosch and Welliver /Connelly. "

F A N T A S T I C !

Mickey Haller, Harry Bosch, Titus Welliver, and Michael Connelly fans will devour THE CROSSING, (Harry Bosch, #20) expertly crafted by the "King" of Crime Thrillers.

Who is using whom?

Detective Hieronymus 'Harry' Bosch, a literary character created by Connelly in 1992 novel The Black Echo, and a veteran police homicide detective with the LAPD. Bosch was named after
Jim
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This might be one of my favorites in the series which is amazing since there have been over 2 dozen books & almost a dozen short stories up to this point. How does he manage to keep his books so fresh?!!!

Characters for a start. Great characters which he treats with integrity. They act as they should & do evolve. Harry has grown older & he's mellowed in some ways, toughened in others. In this book, he's moved to the dark side & works with Mickey as a defense investigator, but
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 5 7 Jan 21, 2018 05:47AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 4 6 Jan 20, 2018 01:31PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question A 3 6 Jan 20, 2018 10:47AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 3 5 Jan 20, 2018 10:45AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 3 7 Jan 20, 2018 10:43AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 3 4 Jan 20, 2018 10:38AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 3 5 Jan 20, 2018 10:37AM

• The Last Mile (Amos Decker, #2)
  • Memory Man (Amos Decker, #1)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • Make Me (Jack Reacher, #20)
  • The Guilty (Will Robie, #4)
  • The Crossing: by Michael Connelly | Summary & Analysis
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Extreme Prey (Lucas Davenport, #26)
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)
  • The Fallen (Amos Decker, #4)
  • No Man's Land (John Puller, #4)
  • Gathering Prey (Lucas Davenport, #25)
  • Escape Clause (Virgil Flowers, #9)
  • One Good Deed
  • The Guardians
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing a curriculum in which one of his

Harry Bosch (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #1)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • The Concrete Blonde (Harry Bosch, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #3)
  • The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #4)
  • Trunk Music (Harry Bosch, #5; Harry Bosch Universe, #6)
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
  • A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
  • City of Bones (Harry Bosch, #8; Harry Bosch Universe, #10)
  • Lost Light (Harry Bosch, #9; Harry Bosch Universe, #11)
  • The Narrows (Harry Bosch, #10; Harry Bosch Universe, #13)