Start by marking “Intercom on Product Management” as Want to Read:
Intercom on Product Management

Intercom on Product Management

Software is eating the world and product managers are getting to decide what’s on the menu.

This book by the team at Intercom, a rapidly growing San Francisco software startup, is designed to help those working in the ever evolving field of product management

Since Intercom began in 2011, its team has been writing about how it approaches the product challenges it faces.
Published February 10th 2015 by Intercom (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Intercom on Product Management, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intercom on Product Management

Start your review of Intercom on Product Management
WhatIReallyRead
Intercom does these little ebooks on all kinds of topics - Product Management, Sales, Customer support, Onboarding etc. I only read one before this - The Growth Handbook - and loved it. But this one didn't quite hit the mark for me.

Intercom is a very successful corporation and these ebooks while being quite general are still high-quality. A good overview of the topic that will benefit people who are novices or non-specialists as an introduction to the topic. Or perhaps if you're confused and ou
Aparna
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it
A small and concise book about Product Management. Gives you all the basics. Made me more inquisitive about the topic. Will definitely grab another book.
Jeff Standard
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book fared better than most "collections of blog posts" in that there's a good amount of solid, practical advice for newer product managers. The feature checklists are clearly written from experience, as are the "reasons" PMs will hear for why feature X MUST be built, when it actually shouldn't. They started to sell a Intercom a bit hard in the last chapter which detracted from things a bit, but it was done with relevance. I moved my company to Intercom for a few of the communication reason ...more
Parastoo Diba
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. It has a lot of tips for you about how to manage the product roadmap and how to say yes or no to features. totally recommended.
Inga
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very quick book to summarize what creating a product takes, but if you already read their articles about how and when to say yes/no to new features, you almost read the whole book. Still, it is a good reminder how to keep on track. Though, I would love to read more examples when you are creating new product and at first you have nowhere to take feedback from.
Michael Dubakov
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feature-owner
Good and dense book for Product Owners.

Some quotes:

A minor improvement on an important task is almost always a larger opportunity than a big improvement on an ancillary one

Pick a need where the existing solutions are old, complex, and bloated, and find the simplest smallest set of steps possible to deliver the same outcome.

No customer can be more important than a good product.

Telling your customers something is a “ground up rewrite”, “HTML5 based”, “responsive” or anything like that will mi
Anderson Dias
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a small, concise and introductory book on Product Management. Even it's based on the original blog posts, you feel like they were well curated and polished in order to give life to this book.
It's fulfilled by authors experiences, with successes and failures. But, its lack of scientific references and profound researchs makes this piece a little shallow.
As I said before, that's a great introduction to a much wider subject.
Peter Iliev
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: product
One of those quick collections of blog posts companies pack together and distribute as an ebook to get your email. Contentwise it's got the basics of product design including a good amount of links for further reading. It's well written with a lot of value in very little text. You can read it in a day and get good ideas on how to evaluate your current features, choose which features to build next and get a new feature used.
Mittul Desai
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intercom does it again. They have nailed the art of product management and are evangelizing it well too. This book is a quick glance at what a PM should and should not do, common caveats, tips and tricks. It also links some brilliant articles and books. All in all a no-brainer must read for a newbie PM.
Filip Miłoszewski
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Fast & clear read, that's giving you the basics, some useful frameworks as well as pointing out a few slippery slopes of product management. And that's basically it. More like a well-written blog post that could use a bit more research data or just dive deeper. Also, I do appreciate it for not being too salesy. ...more
Diana
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: po
I actually enjoyed reading this “collection of blogposts”. Of course, if I have put the expectations high, I would have not given it 4-stars. But it did meet my expectations of summarizing the product management activities while adding a pinch of advice here and there. Quick, nice read.
Ujjawal Chauhan
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Clean book on introductory notes to product management.

Helps you with methodology to avoid feature creep - which is the bane of first time entrepreneurs who think their product must have every feature under the sun!
Ilya Vorobiev
Jun 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Very basic book overall but i like concept of feature audit and killing.

- Feature audit (kill, improve, increase adoption or frequency)
- Ulwick opportunity algorithm (https://jobs-to-be-done.com/quantify-...)
- No to new features / know where your product ends
Agus Jakarta
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read book for every PMs out there!
Alex
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short, smart & deep. These guys know how to talk to customers. 101 reading for PMs. ...more
Jordan Jackson
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent. To the point and great insight on what really matters when it comes to building products people actually use.
Julien Steel
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Clear and concise guideline if you want to get into the field
Jesus Valdez Almaral
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Concise and straight to the point, this books gives a lot of tips about evaluating and adding new features to your product
D
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Words of wisdom from a team that has "been there, done that."
Borith
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great introduction of overall software product management.

It's easy to read and follow.
Juliusz
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great user guide to product management. Condensed knowledge, practical approach and easy to process:)
Nikolay
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very concise overview of main product management challenges with practical examples and ready solutions. Liked it a lot.
Jess
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Solid introduction to principles and considerations for product management.
Parhum Khoshbakht
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book about Product Management
Kyryl Kryhin
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Too small for a book and at the same time it's too long for a blog post.
There is some good info, but not as much as I thought.
Mandana Nouri
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
This book introduces some basic concepts about product management so it's not really useful for someone who has previous experience but includes some clues about being product manager.
Aleesha John
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good insights about product management.
James
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A step by step guide that does a good job of pulling together a collection of blog posts.

I refer to this often for my job.
ΔRT
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best book on product management I ever read.
I use 4 criterion for evaluating read book.

Level: 10
The level of authors are very high and the source of this book is pure experience from a world class company (Intercom).

Disruption: 8
Ideally, every book I read should change my outlook in one way or another (be disruptive if you want). This one has some interesting insights and therefore get 8 on disruption criteria.

Actionable: 10
I try to read books that are relevant to my curren
Dmitry Manayev
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Product Management is very hard if you don't have science background in this question. And that's more difficult to find the right answer for a concept in how modern companies doing their job right. I didn't know much about, but I want learn the science behind it

That's why I really appreciate the work of Intercom (great customer engagement and support solution) they making great product and they are not afraid to share their valuable lessons. It is good open source book which must be read by any

• Intercom on Jobs to be Done
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • The Growth Handbook
  • Shape Up: Stop Running in Circles and Ship Work that Matters
  • Intercom on Marketing
  • Intercom On Starting Up
  • Cracking the PM Interview: How to Land a Product Manager Job in Technology
  • Principles of Product Management: How to Land a PM Job and Launch Your Product Career
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • Don't Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Intercom on Onboarding
  • The Product Book: How to Become a Great Product Manager
  • Building Products for the Enterprise: Product Management in Enterprise Software
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product

News & Interviews

“If you ask why enough times, eventually you'll work it out and get to the root cause.” 1 likes
“There are no tiny features when you’re doing things properly. This is why as a product manager you need a good understanding of what it takes to implement a feature before you nod your head and add it to the roadmap.” 1 likes