Start by marking “Hot Ice” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  11,105 Ratings  ·  355 Reviews
The #1 "New York Times" bestselling author Nora Roberts weaves a spellbinding story of seduction and suspense, white-hot passion and cold-blooded murder in this first-ever hardcover edition of her classic novel...
Hot Ice
Rich, gorgeous Whitney MacAllister likes fast cars, vintage movies, and dangerous men. But even this jaded, high-living Manhattan socialite is taken by s
Published July 30th 2002 by Bantam (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Ice

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
May 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Well this had to be one of the more enjoyable reads by this author for me.
"would be thief for hire" Douglas Lord has just finished a "job" lifting important papers that date back to Marie Antoinette and the lost french jewels that lead to a fortune in treasure. After almost turning over the papers he finds out he is to be double crossed & dumped in the nearest river, so he decides to keep them for himself, but he has to get to it before Dimitri & his goons get him first. Whitney MacAllis
Mary
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
CHEESY!!!

And if you're ok with cheese, it's not a bad book. My chief complaint is that they eat a lot of mangoes in this book...here's a quote...Pulling out a mango, he took a big, greedy bite. And they never peel them. Obviously the author has never eaten a mango. And that bugs me, because I love mangos, and...geesh, do a little research. But I guess mangos were more exotic in the 80s, and most readers didn't know you had to peel them.

So anyway.... think Romancing the Stone, and that's about t
SL
Jan 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It just didn't do it for me. The storyline plodded along, and I couldn't like either of the main characters. There didn't seem to be a plausible reason why I should root for them. Vain, shallow, brash females don't engage me, and neither do narcissistic, immature males. I finished it because I wanted to see how it would end, but I would never reread or recommend it. The end was actually the best part...
Barbara ★
Definitely not one of Nora Roberts best books and the only one I've ever given less than 3 stars. This is a story about an unrepentant thief who steals priceless documents leading to a spectacular treasure from his mob-like boss and is therefore chased basically around the world (from Manhattan to Madagascar).

Unfortunately, neither the hero nor the heroine were likable characters. Whitney is shallow and vain and gave off that Paris Hiltonesque vibe - more money than brains. Douglas was worse -
Vera Neves (Sinfonia dos Livros)
Nora Roberts dispensa qualquer apresentação. É uma autora de renome internacional e mundialmente aclamada. Apesar de não ter dado as cinco estrelas a esta história, tenho de confessar que gostei bastante. No entanto, foi-me complicado entrar na história, sentir-me agarrada, como habitualmente acontece com os livros de Nora Roberts. Não é que não esteja repleto de acção e mistério, não foi por causa disso. Acho que foi mesmo o excesso de lugares, acontecimentos e a falta de mais paixão e carinho ...more
Alicia Williams
Jul 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 021-2006
Wow, has Nora Roberts ever gotten better in the last twenty years! I used to love her "two-word title" books which were always her mystery/romance books. I could barely make it through my 2006 re-read of "Hot Ice"! It was so repetitive, all the characters smoked a lot, and they were just dumb. What thief just gives out his name and travels with his own papers when being pursued by a Mafia God?
NiteReader
DNF at 20%
Life's too damn short for this crap!
Ana
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Um ladrão profissional e uma herdeira dum império de gelados é uma dupla improvável para uma caça ao tesouro.
Douglas e Whitney conhecem-se de uma forma muito peculiar e uma convergência de interesses vão levá-los numa perigosa aventura em busca de um colar que em tempos pertenceu a Maria Antonieta.
Tempo de Ler
Doug entra num carro aleatório para tentar despistar uns tipos que o perseguem para o matar... e assim conhece Witney, uma jovem que, apesar de pertencer a uma família riquíssima, vai obrigar Doug a torná-la sua parceira quando descobre que ele vai embarcar numa caça ao tesouro. Doug tem as peças necessárias para decifrar o puzzle, Whitney tem o dinheiro para financiar a expedição e juntos vão embarcar na aventura das suas vidas.

Esta é a parte que eu gosto no livro.
A aventura desenrola-se nas ex
Angela
Oct 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ebooks
Nora Roberts' Hot Ice, one of her older standalone books from the late 80's, is a halfway decent caper novel. Thief Douglas Lord, betrayed by the man who's hired him to steal valuable papers pointing the way to a lost treasure from the French Revolution, is thrust across the path of the young heirness Whitney MacAllister--who promptly decides that teaming up with Doug will be the biggest adventure of her life, and never mind his occupying the shady side of the law.

Our hero and heroine journey fr
Sonia Cristina
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Não me apaixonou mas ri-me muito com os protagonistas nesta aventura por terras de Madagáscar. Gostei da forma como Whitney e Doug se conheceram e dos diálogos entre eles (Vai a pé. ... Se há aí uma arma, eu quero vê-la. De outro modo desaparece.) E a mania de Whitney de apontar todas as despesas num bloco de notas para Doug lhe pagar? Oh, o que me ri com estes dois! Lol
Head in the clouds
Mehhhhh, I didn't really like either of the main characters - they had questionable morals and their personalities were not the type that I admire. Still a pretty entertaining read, but not as enjoyable as other Nora Roberts I have read.
Paula Reis
Nora Roberts a escrever 'policiais', este já é o segundo. Tem ritmo, emoção, suspense e romance; resumindo, tem tudo o que eu gosto, mas também tem algumas falhas de narração imperdoáveis que podem ser da tradução, ou não !
JoAnne
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Read my review on Romancing-the-Book.com by clicking on the link below:

Yvonne (It's All About Books)
brhotice
Finished reading: November 2nd 2014
Rating 3

(view spoiler)
Amanda
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A puzzle. I've got pieces to a puzzle and I'm going to Madagascar."

Beautiful, elegant, manhattan socialite Whitney Macallister finds herself placed into a unique partnership on a hunt for a long-lost treasure. It's not just any partnership, though. After Doug Lord, a slick, determined yet charming theif hijacked her car at a astop light in attempt to run away for bad guys; Whitney now must battle with Doug, side by side, to stay ahead of the little game entitled "death".

Roberts not only takes u
Moxie
Nov 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hated this book. I read it because it was supposed to be funny. It wasn't...not even a little bit.
I hated the characters. They were some of the stupidest people Ive ever encountered in print. A vapid moronic rich girl who is so desperate to have a real problem that she risks being shot at repeatedly, stalked, and the imitate threat of rape. Which would have been fine i suppose if she wasn't also shocked and mournful every time someone is hurt as a consequence of their endeavor. She is constant
Sarah (A Weebish Book Blog)
This book was so disappointing. I was extremely interested in this book, don't get me wrong. It was definitely not boring. However...

A) Doug was such an asshole! Money is the only thing important to him. Lots and lots of money. I grew up in a home wear going out for fast food was a nice surprise. We never went to "restaurants" where entrees were more than $10 a plate, but DAMN I was never this greedy! His girl gets kidnapped and he's more concerned for the treasure then he is his lady. Smh. Even
Donna
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nora Roberts is one of my favorites, and whenever I pick up one of her books, I expect great things. I found this a little disappointing, but from any other author, I think I would have been perfectly happy with it.

The plot is just plain silly in some parts, and edge-of-your-seat in others. To give an idea: in the first chapter, bored socialite Whitney gets car-jacked by thief Doug. Here's my ticket to excitement, thinks Whitney. After a gripping car chase and some snappy dialogue, she decides t
Robin
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the run in Manhatten and the target of hit men, Douglas Lord jumps into a nearby car and orders the driver to "step on it". Heiress Whitney MacAllister doesn't like being ordered around, but flying bullets make her move fast. With killers on their heels, Doug and Whitney come to an agreement. He has information that will lead them to a treasure and will split it with Whitney if she bankrolls the expedition. Soon they are on their way to Paris, then Madagascar, in search of a priceless treasur ...more
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of contemporary romance
Shelves: romance, read-in-2012
This is one of the funniest romantic suspense novels I've ever come across. It does not matter that the sex is plain vanilla, it's not germane to the development of the romantic relationship.

Miss Whitney MacAllister is something else. I love that every time she has to spend money in the adventure, she writes it down and keeps track of every cent for him to reimburse her.

Douglas Lord is an unapologetic thief. The author makes no bones about it. He displays values and a sense of honor, but he enjo
Jess
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, nora-roberts
Definitely not one of my favorites from Roberts. I just couldn't get into the story line and I really disliked the characters. Whitney was just too cold and acted too much like a prima donna and Doug was just irritating. Trying to act noble when he really was just a thief.

And the idea of keeping a running total of how much he owed her really irritated me at parts. I mean, when how much someone owes someone else is brought up right in the middle or right before a sex scene.. come on.

This won't s
Jason
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always find it nerve wracking to read a genre/author that I've not read a lot of before. I'm not a big fan of romances, so I didn't hold out much hope for this outing. I love being proved wrong! This was more adventure/thriller than romance; and it moved! Descriptions were lush and the author managed to move the story along, yet give the characters time to get to know each other, thus enabling the reader to do so. I really enjoyed this!
Emelie Johansson
This book was alright. I liked the plot, but the characters annoyed me. They kept making misstakes and agued through the whole book. And even in the most crazy situations they were so attracted to echoer that it felt ridiculous. I thought that the book was alright but differently not one of Nora Roberts best books.
Leonor Lopes
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uma autêntica comédia romântica
Micii
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-and-erotica
A fantastic, exciting story. I'm thrilled!
Virginia Hill
Originally read in 1990.
Victoria
May 20, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the only book of Nora Roberts I did not enjoy.

Did not like the charactors and the danger I did not fall into as I have in the past.
Lena
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-ebooks
It's just AWESOME.
Stacey
Jul 28, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OK, I may never read this since I don't read these sorts of books. But it takes place in Madagascar! So...maybe one day.
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Creation in Death (In Death, #25)
  • Secret Weapon Spouse (Miami Confidential #1)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Deadly Little Secrets
  • The Captive
More about Nora Roberts...

“You're a first-class bastard, Doug." This time he grinned because he'd heard the light trace of respect. "I like first class, Whitney. I'm going to live there the rest of my life.” 1 likes
“Setting her jaw, Whitney turned left. “This is a one-way street.” He looked around helplessly. “Didn’t you see the sign?” “I know it’s a one-way street,” she muttered and pressed harder on the gas. “It’s also the quickest way across town.” “Oh, Jesus.” 1 likes