Start by marking “Surrender” as Want to Read:

Surrender

From the dazzling ballrooms of glittering London society to magnificent, cursed estate in the distant wilds of Yorkshire, comes the deliciously wicked story of a thoroughly unconventional courtship--and a thrilling midnight rendezvous that could only lead to love...

At four and twenty Victoria Huntington thought herself quite adept at fending off fortune hunters... until s
Mass Market Paperback, 362 pages
Published October 1st 1990 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surrender

Start your review of Surrender
Lauren
3.5 Stars

After witnessing the disastrous relationships of her female relatives, Victoria Huntington has sworn of marriage and become adept at avoiding even the most ardent of fortune hunters. That is until Lucas Colebrook, a former officer and newly minted Earl, sets his sights on the young heiress and woos her with risky midnight rendezvous' and passionate embraces. But can he convince her that he wants her for more than her inheritance?

While Surrender includes all of the necessary com
Obsidian
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a re-read. I just never got around to posting a review for this book eons ago. Not much to say except I loved the heroine in this one (Victoria) and hero (Lucas). The two of them being thrown together due to Lucas needing an heiress and Victoria wanting adventure sets them on a fun collision course. Of course based on the time period there are a few times you want Lucas to get kicked hard someplace. He talks about his husbandly rights a freaking lot. And of course back then th ...more
Chitra *CJ*
"Surrender" is the story of Victoria and Lucas.

Our heroine is Victoria Huntington, the orphaned spinster-by-choice heiress. Desperate to ward off suitors who want her for her money, her life changes when the biggest fortune hunter of them all, Lucas Colebrook, the darkly disturbing new Earl of Stonevale decides to set his eyes on her. Soon he becomes her confidante and companion for nightly adventures, but when a passionate night leads to open compromise, the pair are forced to wed. And as Victo
Zoe
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sigh......I really like Amanda Quick's writing. Really. It is always as if she was telling me the story right in front of me. I would follow her to the end of the world in her story. I have read almost every one of her so called one-word books and I remember ALL of them in great details. I think that says something about a writer's storytelling ability.

But then her heroines always destroy it for me. When I read Surrender as a young woman, I thought Victoria rather smart. I liked all her spunk,
LibraryLass
Aug 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, but I like to round up not down. This is probably my least favourite of all of AQs' books. This was a satisfying read but I often had to push through my problem with BOTH characters at times.

Victoria seemed to have split personalities. At times she acted extremely immaturely and was like a spoilt child not thinking about the consequences of her actions and then at other times, she came across as strong and independant. As well it took me quite a while to warm up to Lucas, the hero, w
Lisa
Surrender started out as such a great book. I liked the heroine, Victoria, and the hero, Lucas, seemed to understand her and appreciate her intelligence and spirit. Unfortunately Lucas turned out to be a domineering prude just out for his own ends who systematically crushed everything he claimed to like about Victoria.

(view spoiler)
Tetty Marlinda
#89 for 2017 RC
Genre : Historical Romance

I read this book two decades ago for the first time, when I was a student in a college. Then I liked the story, but when I reread I found something annoying about the heroin.

The heroin was a kind of stubborn bluestocking. She was kind but like to make hasty action that caused many troubles to the hero. And she did not learn anything from her mistakes. Smart but sloppy what I told you about heroin's character.
Sabrina Jeffries
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love lots of Amanda Quick's books, but this is my favorite. The hero is a fortune-hunter, yet she manages to make him sympathetic. Since I'm writing my own fortune-hunter hero right now, I understand just how difficult that is. But she pulls it off. Lucas is just scrumptious.
Piyangie
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A quick and enjoyable read; a sort of book to shove in the middle of classics. The plot is simple but still I liked Quick's easy writing style. This is my first read of hers and would like to try on few more.
Rema
Apr 27, 2014 rated it did not like it
Very disappointing. I'm dismayed to say that I haven't finished this novel. There was no way I could continue reading, if the first three hundred pages were so torturous. Victoria, a reckless female, longs for adventure. Lucas, Earl of Stonevale, has the precise remedy for Victoria. Okay so the summary I found on Goodreads for Surrender was misleading. It hinted at mystery, suspense, and a fiery, passionate romance. Sad to say those were all lacking in the actual novel.

Good points: Lady Rycott
Jenn Valentine
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I picked up this book the other day off of a free book cart in Bagley Hall at NSU, and for a free romance I have to say I am quite pleased. However, the ending was terrible. I would suggest reading till they are mostly happily married and not a page further. Once Ms Quick decide that she wanted to add murder and mystery it felt more like an episode of Scooby Doo, when the villain pulled off their mask and said, "And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you and your meddlesome do ...more
Melissa Levine
Sep 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical
Emi Bevacqua
Mar 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
This was assigned reading for a women's club discussion about the Romance genre, or else I never would have chosen to look at it. I much prefer Historical Fiction, and what I appreciate about that is good research. All my notes on this book (and they are legion) are nit-picky complaints about misplaced modern day jargon and attitudes. I guess lovers of this genre don't mind historical inaccuracies because they are in it for the story (to quote another romance novelist, Maya Rodale): "We read for ...more
Robin
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lucas Colebrook has just claimed his new title of Earl of Stonevale. This title comes with a large manor house, acres of land, but no money to run it. There are many people depending on him and he needs to marry an heiress now. His choice is Victoria Huntington. Lucas uses her love of adventure to court her.

After being pursued for years by fortune hunters, Victoria has sworn never to marry. But Lucas is getting harder and harder to resist. After being compromised and dragged to the altar for a
Brenda H
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
At four and twenty, Victoria Huntington is on her way to being a spinster. Wary of fortune hunters and men as dastardly as her stepfather, she has spurned any potential suitors. That is, until Lucas Colebrook comes along.

Victoria chafes under the restrictions imposed upon the proper young women of the ton. She wants adventure and excitement and Lucas offers just that. Victoria and Lucas strike a bargain where he agrees to show her the sights of London that no gently bred maid should see...brothe
Carolyn
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: quick-amanda
Despite the annoying heroine, I enjoyed the book.
BJ
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good
The H needs to marry an heiress, and h doesn't want to marry him, asks him to have an affair. He's not in love with her, but he does like her and agrees to give her some 'experiences'. They had a number of adventures and it was good fun, but of course they were compromised. That's when the h became difficult for him - and for me. She fought him...just because, and he was so patient with her, I thought she was childish, he could have done better. There was a mystery and eventually they worked to ...more
Gina
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lucas, the new Earl of Stonevale, is a former military officer desperately in need of money to get his newly inherited property and title up to reasonable working condition. The best way to accomplish this is to marry an heiress with dowry enough to help him achieve his goals. Victoria is a 24 year old orphaned heiress whose one desire in life is to NOT get married. The beginnings of this book read like numerous other historical romances. Lucas starts to court Victoria for her money but quickly ...more
Donna
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it
As a rule, I really enjoy reading the historical romances written by Amanda Quick. Unfortunately, Surrender has proven to be somewhat of an exception to that rule. I enjoyed the beginning of the book, but by the time I'd completed about 60% of it, I found I was reading just to finish it.
Essentially, the story is about two strong willed characters who, although they supposedly care for one another, spend the bulk of the book attempting to manipulate and outmaneuver each other. Victoria is presen
Mara
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
As usual I found myself enjoying her books.. And thinking how much more I could get if only her stories weren't this 'bland'. They are not boring, at all, but they lack something that makes me shout Yes! It's usually the lack of angst or real reaction. Her heroines are way too easy. Always Pollyannish and overly sunny :)
A lot could have been done after the inn and the ex fiance intervention, but she's too young and 'easy-going' as an heroine. Too NA I guess. Still I liked it a lot. :)
Maria
This Amanda Quick has an unusually dictatorial hero, once he gets the heroine, that is. I enjoy the adjustments they make to each other, both before and after marriage. Very true to life. Their skirmishes are sometimes hilarious. There is a mystery, too. What more could a reader want?
Jessica Lauryn
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Surrender is a gripping historical romance with a compelling and suspensful plot to compliment its love story. Lucas is sweet, heroic and brave as well stubborn and Victoria is fiesty, colorful and unique. Her yellow gowns are the perfect compliment to this character's flare!
Hannah
3.5 to 4 Stars

I'm not sure how to rate this one.. because I really enjoyed it but you have to know that it doesn't add anything new. It's a completely traditional Amanda Quick novel and there are no surprises there.
February Four
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this--one of Quick's best! Chemistry, romance, true love, and all that jazz.
Dallass
This is one of those 19th century historical romances that, while they are enjoyable, don't really have anything outstanding to differentiate them a thousand other stories, other than the authors name.

I enjoy this, don't get me wrong, but there was so much in this book that was reminiscent of a lot of other books I have read. Yet, it was a fun story, with a lot of characters and a tension that results thanks to the manipulations and half told truths that catch up with certain characters - I'm lo
Marya
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Diane ~Firefly~
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm not a huge fan of historical romances, but I love Quick's. The heroines are always Originals who actually think for themselves.

In this story Vicky is an heiress who is haunted by her step-father's death and never plans to marry. Lucas just recently inherited a title and lands, but needs money to save them and all the people they support. He finds the key to romancing Vicky is to offer late night adventures.

I enjoyed the fact that Lucas ended up saving people at Vicky's behest each time they
MimiCat
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the best historical romance I have EVER read. I've read several others by this author (real name: Jayne Ann Krentz) and they are all very good, but this is by far the best. I've bought several copies and given them to friends. This will wrap you up in a vivid fantasy land while simultaneously making you feel you are really experiencing it. This is one of those books you can curl up with at night by the fire and just enjoy.

Since this book is rather old, it is hard to find. The last time I
Peyton
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
After reading a novel that left a bad taste in my mouth, I turned to Amanda Quick for a palate cleanser. This novel was exactly what I wanted out of an Amanda Quick historical - a sweet heroine who softens the cynical hero, a mystery that resolves itself in the end, and fun banter. I really liked Lucas and Victoria, characters who fought and made up delightfully.

Reread August 2019: I honestly forgot that I read this one before! Anyway, delightful fun. Just what I wanted from an Amanda Quick nove
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all romance fans
Shelves: read-in-2010, romance
This is a great story for those who'd like to try their first historical romance. It has a wonderful antagonistic/bickering relationship between the protagonists because each fears to let the other know how much power is held over them. Some of the adventures are humorous, and good wins out over evil in the end.

The characters have depth and quirks, the plot is NOT predictable, and the quality of the writing is refreshingly good. One for the keeper shelf. (My copy got damaged in a basement flood,
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Surrender (1990) 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 11:52AM

• Flash
  • Absolutely, Positively
  • The Adventurer (Ladies and Legends, #2)
  • Summer in Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay Trilogy, # 3)
  • Smoke in Mirrors
  • Lost and Found
  • Silver Linings
  • Deep Waters
  • Dawn in Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay Trilogy, # 2)
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Falling Awake
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Silver Master (Ghost Hunters, #4)
  • Hidden Talents
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Amaryllis (St. Helen's, #1)
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz