Start by marking “Gargoyles: Clan Building, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Gargoyles: Clan Building, Volume 1

Gargoyles: Clan Building, Volume 1 (Gargoyles #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  166 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Stone by day, warriors by night, the Gargoyles were betrayed by those they had sworn to protect. Now here in modern Manhattan, the spell that held them frozen for a thousand years is broken, and the Gargoyles live again! Based on the popular Disney/Buena Vista animated television series of the 90s, Gargoyles is back with original canon stories from series creator Greg Weis ...more
Published February 5th 2008 by SLG Publishing (first published January 23rd 2007)

Jill
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've been a huge fan of Gargoyles since it began in 1994. Many of us through the years have retained hope that the series will come back. God knows its creator Greg Weisman would be willing. But, it looks like this comic is all we'll have. Thanks for the stories, Greg!
Ken-ichi
Nov 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: escape, comics, fantasy
Gargoyles was easily one of the finest cartoon shows of the 90s, and certainly some of the best televised fantasy ever. After recently re-watching the series, I was hankerin' for more, so I picked up this collection, which was written by series creator Greg Weisman. It's ok. Somewhat ham-handed compared to the TV show, possibly due to the lack of the amazing voice actors, or the steady, minimalist draftsmanship from some of the Korean (Japanese?) animation teams, or maybe even the need for subtl ...more
Deep Gill
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
Continues from the end of the Second Season, where creator Greg Weisman left the show. It follows the convoluted storylines that he wanted to present to us throughout the years. In addition to this there are a couple of spinoff comics; very very satisfying to ardent fans of the show in its heyday.
Erin
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I started reading these comics because I unequivocally loved the TV show. Lots of history; lots of mythology; lots of three-dimensional, flawed, likeable characters; lots of racial diversity; a willingness to cover a lot of darker subject matter; female characters who actually got to do stuff; complicated relationships both romantic and platonic that were properly built up and explored and expanded upon; the Best Villain Ever; and of course, my hands-down favorite romance of all time in the form ...more
Morv
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Disney Gargoyle fans
Shelves: comic
I would say that anyone who has never seen the TV show of Gargoyles would really need to watch that first before they get into this comic, because this does require you to know some basic back story of the gargoyles, of who their enemies are and what is going on in the whole dynamic of the gargoyle clan.

The first TV issues are fine, the episode is The Journey which did air in the non-canon series 3, the only episode Greg Weisman was involved in. The rest of the issues in this volume are fine, bu
M.J.
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, nostalgia
First off: a non-serious 5 stars merely for existing, regardless of its merits or flaws. There was never going to be any other rating. I'm outing my bias right now at the opening of the review. This was my favourite cartoon show from my childhood (I rue the day Disney decided that there was not enough interest to produce a Season Two, Volume II). A more critical review will have to take place at another time.

Gargoyle: Clan-Building is written by the original creator of the series, Greg Weisman,
Vitor Frazão
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: bd
Excepção feita aos dois primeiros capítulo, que seguem a linha do primeiro episódio das "Crónicas de Golias" este volume mostra um rumo narrativo muito mais interessante e complexo que o apresentado na segunda série de Gargoyles, sendo a principal falha o desenho.

Não obstante, continua a haver umas quantas coisas que põe em causa o senso comum de Weisman. Morgan and Elisa? Really?
Amanda
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
After watching the series (seasons 1&2) recently, I wanted more Gargoyles stories, but found the comic left me lukewarm. First two issues were basically a retelling of the last episode Weisman did, and the rest mostly seemed to be setting up future storylines that never ended up getting written after this limited run of comics ended.
Ginger
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
The writing is spectacular! It's engaging and intense. It really does feel like a continuation of the show. Unfortunately, I felt like the artwork was not up to par. There were multiple artist who worked on this. Some of the art is pretty good while some of it was not.

Still, great experience! Now I feel even more upset that the show ended on such a poor note. I want more Gargoyles, damnit!
Kate
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, traded
I really like the Gargoyles series and bought this trade out of my love for the series. The stories are good and have a little a little more of an adult tone than what I remember of the TV show. The art is... hit and miss.

Alyssa Crawford
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the television series, but a fun continuation of the plot line nonetheless. Unsurprisingly, the plot makes much more sense after watching the all of the available episodes through the end of season 2.
Portia S
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was great, Kevin bought this for me randomly. I thought it was pretty fun to see what the Clan was up to after the series ended. I really want to get the rest of these in hard copy as I've read all the others up to Brooklyn going back in time and finding a girl in Japan :D
Casey Anderson
Really enjoyed this but if it's been awhile since you saw the cartoon, or if you've never seen the cartoon, you would probably not be able to follow it.
Cyndy Otty
Apr 04, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Complete Peanuts, Vol. 16: 1981-1982
  • Tron: Betrayal
  • Curse of the Worgen (World of Warcraft)
  • Zatanna, Vol. 2: Shades of the Past
  • Changeling: The Dreaming
  • The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 2: Rogues in the House and Other Stories
  • Moon Knight, Volume 3: In the Night (Moon Knight Vol. V, #3)
  • General Grievous
  • Illyria: Haunted
  • Korgi, Book 3: A Hollow Beginning
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 19: Ever After
  • Incorruptible, Vol. 3
  • Meridian, Vol. 1: Flying Solo
  • Moon Knight, by Brian Michael Bendis & Alex Maleev, Volume 2
  • Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 3
  • The Last Zombie: Dead New World (The Last Zombie, #1)
  • Ghostlands (WarCraft: The Sunwell Trilogy, #3)
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Vol. 2: Flashpoint (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, #2)
Greg Weisman (BA Stanford, MPW U.S.C.) has been a storyteller all his life. His first professional work was as an Editor for DC Comics, where he also wrote Captain Atom.

Greg worked at Walt Disney Television Animation from 1989 through 1996. In 1991, Greg created and developed a new series for Disney: GARGOYLES, becoming Supervising Producer and Supervising Story Editor of that series.

In 1998, Gr
More about Greg Weisman...

Gargoyles (3 books)