Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals” as Want to Read:
The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  789 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Darwin's work of 1872 still provides the point of departure for research in the theory of emotion and expression. Although he lacked the modern research tool of cybernetics, his basic methods have not been improved upon. Lay readers, too, will be struck by the freshness and directness of this book, which includes, among other data, Darwin's delightfully objective analysis ...more
Hardcover, 252 pages
Published August 14th 2006 by IndyPublish.com (first published 1872)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Corinne
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Let me tell you how I got to this book.

You may already know the dictum of Jean Paul Sartre about animals as ‘animated things’, that is animals are moving things without emotions. This has revolted me always, but only recently I delved into this, subsequent to my encounter with a calf.

I have been observing this calf being licked tenderly by its mother cow, particularly on his head. This is a calf that always stays away from the rest of the calves. Then, after he came to see me over a number of d
...more
طاهر الزهراني
عجيب هذا الرجل في ملاحظاته وتأملاته، ولا أبالغ عندما أقول أن هذا الرجل آية كونية عظيمة من آيات الخالق :)
ما لفتني في هذا الرجل أيضا هذه الأمانة العلمية التي يتمتع بها، وعزوه للنصوص والملاحطات والرسوم، والإشادة بجهود الباحثين، داروين نموذج فريد للعالم النبيل، والخلوق.
أما الكتاب مذهل في بابه، وكانت الترجمة موفقة، وأسلوب داروين سلس وجميل في عرضه للأدلة و الملاحظات.
طبعا هذا الكتاب أردا به داروين أن يدعم به نظريته المشهورة نظرية "الإنتخاب الطبيعي" وهذا ما قرره وختم به كتابه حيث ذكر أن في سياقه لهذه ال
...more
Meirav Rath
Apr 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historians, Darwin fans, human behavior fans
Shelves: zoology
This book is more a historical document than a scientific paper, by today's requirements for scientific documents.
Darwing collects here his notes on the expressions of humans with a single chapter about animals and some referrences to monkeys, so the title is highly misleading (it annoyed me, anyways).

Despite that, this work is at the root of understanding both human and animal behavior and the three principles of expression are now evidently the base of every modern theory on animal and human b
...more
Mamdouh Abdullah
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
أنا لا أتمتع بسرعة كبيرة للفهم أو للبديهة … وقدرتي على متابعة سياق طويل وتام التجريد من الأفكار محدودة جداً .. و لكني أتفوق على النسق الشائع من الناس في مقدرتي على ملاحظة الأشياء التي تغيب بسهولة عن الانتباه, وعلى مراقبة تلك الأشياء بدقة.
تشارلز داروين.

من الإصدارات المميزة للمنظمة العربية للترجمة هو كتاب العالم البريطاني تشارلز داروين التعبير عن العواطف عند الإنسان والحيوانات The Expression of Emotions in Man and Animals بترجمة مميزة للدكتور محمد الشيخلي, أستاذ الفيزياء الحيوية بجامعة بغداد. الدا
...more
Catherine O'Sullivan
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: victorian
Warning: if you read this book in a public space - like, say, a Subway - you will absent-mindedly start contorting your face in line with the facial expressions described in this book.
lixy
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Make sure you read the Paul Ekman-edited new version. Darwin, of course, is a genius, and this book seems so modern so as to be unimpressive for our era. It was ahead of its time in its cross-cultural analysis in Darwin's era, and even in the 60s Darwin's theories caused a scandal in the anthropology field between a then-established Margaret Mead, and the young Paul Ekman. Do not skip the intro, where this fascinating meta-story is told!
Mohamedridha Alaskari محمد رضا العسكري
Charles Darwin has started his argument in this book on three principles;
1- the movements which are serviceable in gratifying some desire or in relieving some sensation.
2- Antithesis: the habit of voluntarily performing opposite movements under opposite impulses has become firmly established in us by the practice of our whole lives.
3- The direct action of the excited nervous system on the body, independently of the will, and independently, in large part, of the habit.

On the one hand I have seen
...more
Abdullah Droubi
آااااه .. وأخيرا" انتهيت من تناول عشرة كيلوغرامات من الشحوم والدهون الثلاثية! ربما الكتاب ليس بهذه الدسامة لكنه أوائل الكتب العلمية الصرفة التي قرأتها مما دعاني لهذا الإحساس.

الكتاب يحتوي على نظريات تفسر إنحدار بعض التعبيرات عند الإنسان من الحيوانات الأقل رقيا"، كما يفسر منشأ أو أصول البعض الآخر استنادا" إلى مبادئ ثلاثة عامة في التعبير يحاول شرحها في الفصول الأولى من الكتاب. ويتحدث الكتاب أيضا" عن النواحي الفيزيولوجية لمختلف مظاهر التعبير الجسدي عند الإنسان وبعض الحيوانات.

عادة"، طالما كنت ذلك الش
...more
Maaz
Sep 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, books-i-own
كتاب فسلجة بإمتياز. أهتم بطرق وأسباب التعبيرات في الإنسان والحيوان عن طريق مبادئ ثلاثة عامة في التعبير هي مبدأ العادات المقرونة بالفائدة ومبدأ النقيض أو الأطروحة المضادة وأخيراً مبدأ الفعاليات المسببة عن الجهاز العصبي والمستقلة تماماً عن الإرادة وإلى حد ما عن العادة. كشف الضوء على بعض التعقيدات في الجهاز العصبي لدينا أو حتى في الحيوانات مثل إذا طرأت حالتان ذهنيتان بنفس الوقت, أو بتعاقب متناغم في ترددها أو شدتها فإن الحالة الأولى تكون كافية لإستدعاء الحالة الأخرى سواء رغبنا فيها أو لم نرغب. وهناك ...more
Kio
I don't think I'm ever going to finish this cover to cover so here goes...

Good book. Obviously not a story, but it's a fascinating observation of how emotions are expressed. Darwin well documents where all his deduction comes from, if he suspects the credibility of anything and why... and so on. If you're studying Enlightenment/Humanities/anything along those lines, it's also a good firsthand look into the MO and influences of thinkers of the time.

Nevermind how notable Darwin is.
Nikos Korexenidis
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Outdated. Only useful as historical reference. Paul Ekman has better book for facial expressions
Bob Nichols
In this book Darwin writes mostly about the overt expressions of emotions, not about their evolutionary function or, for that matter, what constitutes an emotion (versus sensation, feeling, affect, passion). And, at times, it's not clear if Darwin is describing an emotion itself or its expression. The value of this book, following his "Origins" and "Descent" books, is that Darwin suggests a universal innateness in certain human emotional expressions and their close tie to the non-human animal wo ...more
Prooost Davis
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
When presented the theory of evolution, Darwin's contemporaries were willing to agree with it up to a point, but many people still wanted to believe that humans were a special case (uniquely created by God), much too advanced intellectually and morally to be related to the lower animals; others were upset that the theory said that Europeans were related to races they considered savage. Darwin wrote this book, as well as "Descent of Man," to demonstrate the similarities in behavior between man an ...more
Mengsen Zhang
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Darwin was definitely a genius! This book reveals him as an ultra observant naturalist and have great imagination and abstraction. Among the three principles of expression, the 2nd- the principle of antithesis - reminded me a lot of ancient greek thoughts, e.g. unity of the opposites, - and a much neglected point by modern neuroscientists.
Nonetheless, one thing he struggled too much about is to find *one* or *only a few* reasons for the origin of the expression of a specific emotion. I may thin
...more
Philippe Malzieu
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
For everybody, Darwin is only associated wit the theory of évolution. By this book, the last one, he is also one of the father of éthology, the science of animal comportment.
He defines 6 elementary feelings which are for him universal in the animal kingdom. Things evolved. There are now computing tools to model the feelings. The eyebrow plays a major role in this expression. Darwin had noted its relative immobility to the chimpanzee. According to Popper, it would contradict the theory.
We know
...more
Dominique Renison
Incredibly interesting book, while some parts are funny by todays standards (sometimes the comparisons with retards/mentally ill and aboriginals is a bit racist and non PC to the point of being laugh out loud hilarious) it is a very educational piece of work which gives a excellent analysis of which emotions and expressions are innate and which are learned. Darwin was such a revolutionary thinker. I enjoy anything he wrote.
Valerie
This book made my skin crawl, frankly. I never had any doubt that human emotions were the same as 'animal' emotions, and were often expressed the same way. But Darwin's description of his research strategy reveals appalling cruelty in the way animals (particularly zoo animals) were treated in the Victorian era--there are several descriptions of how animals resond to being beaten, for example.
Sandro
Jun 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Too close to psychology for my taste. To be honest: my reading direction was slightly "diagonal".
Tony
Feb 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Darwin, Charles. THE EXPRESSION OF THE EMOTIONS IN MAN AND ANIMALS. (1872; this ed. 2008). ****. This edition was a Folio Society reprint of the first edition with an introduction by Steven Pinker, and enhanced by the original plates plus additional plates and drawings taken from the Darwin collection at Cambridge. It is difficult to give any reasonable idea of the scope of Darwin’s studies as presented in this book, but a quote from the introduction will give you some idea. “Why do we shrug? Wh ...more
Simone Zacarias
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find remarkable the way in which Darwin addressed the universality of a character so apparently subjective as emotion in humans (and animals). It surely agrees with his "Evolutionary mindset" but it is quite original for his lifetime cultural and social contexts to compare the western "civilized" societies to the "savage" ones in the way he attempted to.

I see scientific and historical value of this book. Some have misused the Darwinian ideas on "struggle for life", particularly applied to hum
...more
Cyndie
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Listened on audiobook and alternatively horrified, fascinated, and bored by this book in turns. Cannot say that I think I learned anything new or useful.

The interesting: Intriguing to see behavior through the point of view from someone from such a long time ago. A lot of the behaviors that Darwin wonders about we now have strong neuroendocrine explanations which pretty elegantly resolve the contradictions he struggled with. Also nice to see that even he seemed to understand that many of our beh
...more
Kelly
This book is definitely worth reading for its historical interest value (to see how early research into emotions was conducted) and to see the thoroughness of Darwin's observations, especially the great deal of work he puts into cross-cultural investigation, given the limited resources at his disposal. However, some of his explanations seem almost silly in light of what scientists know today. For example, in some places he refers to increased heart rate caused by some emotions as coming from hab ...more
Steve
Jun 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, science
I confess I had no intention of reading the Expressions of Emotions in Man, and purely lifted this volume in order to peruse the Autobiography. Having read both Origins and Descent of man I am well used to Darwin’s laborious style of dialogue and could not face another of his scientific treatise.

The Autobiography is short (about 80 pages) and was intended as a letter of sorts for his children. It contains, perhaps surprisingly, more than a little humour. The early parts concerning his childhood
...more
Melissa
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Darwin's meticulous documentation of variation and context is on display in this rich text on expressions of emotions in humans and animals. Darwin is a close observer of his world, and a generous author. It is difficult to take this book in at once, but it was Darwin's intention for readers to refer to it often rather than reading it cover to cover at once. And this seems obvious from the incredible amount of details that goes into each observation and described emotion, from the hunch of a dog ...more
Ghadeer Mansour
وصف دارون في الفصول الأولى من الكتاب الأفعال التعبيرية الرئيسة في الحيوانات الأقل رقيًا ثم الأعلى رقيًا، ثم في الإنسان بأكثر من نصف الكتاب. وقد حاول تفسير أصل هذه الأفعال وتطوّرها من خلال المبادئ الثلاثة المفصّلة في الفصل الأول، كما حللها تشريحيًا وفسيولوجيًا. وإن أمتع فصول الكتاب هي التي قارن فيها بين تعبيرات الإنسان والحيوانات الراقية التي انحدر منها (القرود).
يقول دارون: "لقد حاولتُ جاهدًا أن أبيّن بتفاصيل مفعمة بأن التعبيرات الرئيسة التي يستخدمها الإنسان متشابهة في عموم العالم، وإن هذه الحقي
...more
Gerhard Kleynhans
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This work by Darwin shows his qualities as a scientist. It presents a scientist with deep and wide knowledge hard at work using exceptional observational skills to meticulously document and interpret his own observations and data available to him. The work is therefore educational as a study of scientific method in its own right.

Designers of robots with humanoid features may also find this work by Darwin to be a useful reference for factual information as well as method in this field of study.
Feisty Harriet
This is basically a research text book, it comprises years of observations and notes made by Darwin and other scientists around the world on Darwin's request (the first version of crowd sourcing). In many ways this book is still the foundation for animal psychology (humans and otherwise), and proves emotional responses is the animal kingdom.
Krystal
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First reading of Darwin. I recognize that this was written over a century ago, but the un-summarized French passages and extensive sentence structuring makes it difficult to read. However, I find myself continually entranced by the content and do indeed find myself trying to replicate certain expressions as discussed.
Patrick
Reading the book made me like Charles Darwin. He came across as a good man who loved his big family and his dogs.

It also gave me a little more respect for modern science as Darwin used Shakespeare, antidotes from doctors of the day, and his observations to speculate a great deal on emotions and their origin. Apparently a good deal of it turned out to be correct as well.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • What the Face Reveals: Basic and Applied Studies of Spontaneous Expression Using the Facial Action Coding System
  • Man's Place in Nature
  • The Malay Archipelago
  • Darwin, His Daughter, and Human Evolution
  • Darwin: The Life of a Tormented Evolutionist
  • On Aggression
  • Primates and Philosophers: How Morality Evolved
  • Biophilia
  • Beautiful Minds: The Parallel Lives of Great Apes and Dolphins
  • Drawing the Line: Science and the Case for Animal Rights
  • Kanzi: The Ape at the Brink of the Human Mind
  • Natural History: A Selection
  • The Evolution of Morality
  • Darwin's Origin of the Species: A Biography
  • Not in Our Genes: Biology, Ideology and Human Nature
  • Nature's Engraver: A Life of Thomas Bewick
  • The Adapted Mind: Evolutionary Psychology and the Generation of Culture
  • The Natural History of Selborne
12793
Charles Robert Darwin was an English naturalist, eminent as a collector and geologist, who proposed and provided scientific evidence that all species of life have evolved over time from common ancestors through the process he called natural selection. The fact that evolution occurs became accepted by the scientific community and the general public in his lifetime, while his theory of natural selec ...more
More about Charles Darwin...
“Blushing is the most peculiar and most human of all expressions.” 97 likes
“It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance.” 25 likes
More quotes…