Start by marking “Много ли человеку земли нужно” as Want to Read:
Много ли человеку земли нужно

Много ли человеку земли нужно

Рассказ, впервые опубликованный в 1886 году.
Published by Общественное достояние (first published 1886)

Start your review of Много ли человеку земли нужно
Sanjay Gautam
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

If you're thinking to read a short story then read this one. It will be the finest short story you are ever going to read.

James Joyce wrote to his daughter that it is "the greatest story that the literature of the world knows".

Truly a masterpiece! A timeless story.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
When I was reviewing another classic Russian short story of avarice, The Queen of Spades by Alexander Pushkin, I kept asking myself, what was that other Russian short story about greed, where the man is walking around the grasslands, stepping off the land he wants to claim, and who wrote it? Well, it was Leo Tolstoy, duh, and this was the story (thank you, Google). It's fairly straightforward, but the ending packs a punch, and it's always stuck with me.

Tolstoy wrote this short story/novelette in
Sean Barrs
This was perfect, simply perfect. It’s a masterful short story.

The wonderful Leo Tolstoy truly captured a grim aspect of human nature in just a few pages. He uses a farmer’s greed as an allegory for man’s ever growing ambition. What man has is never enough; he is always trying to go forward to grasp bigger things. But, in this, there is the ultimate danger of overreaching oneself. Man can only go so far before he destroys himself.

"Although he feared death, he could not stop. 'If I stop

Kevin Ansbro
"Ambition is but avarice on stilts."
—Walter Savage Landor

A parable about greed and covetousness.
Pahom, a peasant farmer, needs more land to make more money but doesn't have enough money to purchase more land. So when two seemingly simple-minded landowners offer him as much land as he can grab for a pittance, he seeks to exploit their naivety.
So which of the following two adages will prove to be appropriate?
"Never look a gift horse in the mouth."
Or
"There is no such thing as a free lunch."

Tol
Carol
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First published in 1886. Powerful. Brief.

Read my GR friend's, Tadiana's, review. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Ladan
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian-lit

How much power does a man need?

The story is about the greed of a man for possessing more lands, but I see it as the insatiable appetite of the human being for power. When given power, one shows one's real face to an extent that would shock oneself! If you want to unravel the real face of your boss, your parents, your siblings, your love, your friends, even YOURSELF, be defenceless and give them power. Pahom was looking for more farmlands, yet he had no idea how much more? When he was given the c
Cheri
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, 2018
Written by Tolstoy in 1886, this is a short story about greed. A peasant man, Parkhom, desires more land, and that desire will cost him dearly.

When Pakhom’s wife and her sister are debating the merits of city life vs. country, Pakhom takes his wife’s side, sharing his belief that their only problem is that they haven’t enough land.

“We only have one grief—too little land! If I had plenty of land, I’d fear no one—not the devil himself!”

Of course, the devil overhears this, and the rest is a short
Kimber Silver
How much land indeed?

Tolstoy crafted this masterfully-written tale in 1886 and it has not lost its significance in the interim. A peasant farmer, Pahom, aspires to acquire more land than he has, and with it a subsequently increased income. He currently feels unable to reach these lofty goals, so sets out in the hope that a beneficial deal will sparkle on the horizon. Unfortunately, his hopes are dashed with each new endeavour.
Then, by a stroke of luck, the ‘golden goose’ of buys falls into his
Duane
A plot that is 2 1/2 ft by 8 ft is what most of us end up with.
Archit
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Masterfully written.

If you are looking for a story to read in a short span, it must be your first choice!
RoshReviews
Jul 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-25-stars
A classic tale of greed where one forgets one's needs and strives after material goods. Had read this once long ago, and read it once again tonight. Still as delightful. Tolstoy's short stories always leave a big impact.

Available for free online on many sites as this story is in the public domain.
Ammara Abid
'How much land does a man need?'

"Six feet from his head to his heels was all he needed".

I love Tolstoy's writing, he is one of the greatest novelist everlived.
Darwin8u
“The further one goes, the better the land seems. ”
― Leo Tolstoy, How Much Land Does a Man Need?

description

Vol N° 57 of my Penguin Little Black Classics Box Set. This volume contains two of Tolstoy's best short stories: "How Much Land Does a Man Need?" (1836) and "What Men Live By" (1835). I loved them both. The title story is a nearly perfect parable of a Russian peasant's pursuit of land (and the Devil's pursuit of the peasant). Joyce is supposed to have considered this the world's greatest story. I'm n
Dannii Elle
How Much Land Does a Man Need - 4/5 stars
What Men Live By - 4/5 stars
JK
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was completely gorgeous, and a stellar addition to the Little Black Classics range. I haven’t read a great deal of Tolstoy in my time, but experiencing the style of both short stories has really encouraged me to seek out more of his work.

How Much Land Does a Man Need? explores greed in relation to ambition, implying that man is never happy with his own lot, and is constantly aspiring to achieve more. It seems a noble pursuit, but Tolstoy likens it to greed, and states that man can only push
Marjolein
Tolstoy may be known for his gigantic works like Anna Karenina and War & Peace, but this is a very neat short story, a parable of man's greed and ambitions. What we have is never enough, we always want more. While it was clear where the story was heading - I am pretty sure someone told me about it before - I enjoyed it a lot.

If you are looking to start with Tolstoy but fear to commit to one of the chunksters, this would be a very good start!

~Little Black Classics #57~

Find this and other review
Nihal Vrana
This series is a great idea by Penguin. I hated these two stories by Tolstoy though. I now understand Dostoyevsky's disdain for him; seeing someone writing these condescending tales of poverty (oh they are so poor, they can't afford to die) without ever knowing poverty must be annoying for those who really suffer from it (like Dostoyevsky). Throw in the forced religious context, the stories were not really my cup of tea (oh, they are so poor they make tea out of the books after reading them). ...more
Lea
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading my way through the Penguin Little Black Classics series, I have found myself disappointed more often than not. But there have been a few gems, too, and some reminders to myself. One being that I need to read more of the big Russian authors. I know I'm into this bleak yet weirdly snarky well-written stuff. So here too I want to remember: go and read more Tolstoy. I guess the two short story books I have read were just a little less daunting than War and Peace or Anna Karenina ... ...more
Ian
The edition I read has two short stories, the title story and another called “What Men Live By”.

I first heard of the title story some years ago when I read Anthony Beevor’s book “Stalingrad”. Beevor used “How Much Land Does A Man Need?” as a chapter heading in his book (I’m sure I needn’t mention who he was referring to). At the time I made a mental note to read the story one day.

In the title story, a peasant exclaims to his wife that all he needs in life is a little more land. If he had more la
HajarRead
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God I love Tolstoy's writing and wisdom ! Two short stories "How Much Land Does A Man Need ?" and "What Men Live By", the first one is about man always wanting more than he actually needs and the second one is about Love and how men only live by love alone. I was angry tonight but I'm feeling more peaceful right now. Thank you Tolstoy. ...more
Frances
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know it's supposed to be a story about greed. But it's also a very lonely story. All throughout, he was alone. And what I saw from this as well was his anxiety to provide for his family that he took on himself alone. He did not share this responsibility with his wife, and it was only early on in the story with his son. But during his later endeavors, it seemed he had made all the decisions himself.

What Men Live By: This story I didn't like. Aside from being dark, I don't think the moral of the
Jason
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Wow what a fantastic short story about a greedy man. It reads almost like a parable, Tolstoy seems to have a lot of contempt for Pahom whose greed for more and more land gives the Devil an idea to play with him.

Tolstoy was such a talented writer and he shows it in this story by drawing you in very quickly and leaving you almost out of breath at the end.

One of Tolstoy's best, thanks to Kevin Ansbrofor the recommendation.
Suad Alhalwachi
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s Leo Tolstoy so I must give it 5 stars. These Russian writers are amazing. Every Russian book I had read makes me more amazed.

It’s true! we become greedy and we never know when to stop. We think that life is short, we think that we must leave a legacy to our children. We forget however that our children may want to see more of us than our money.

I am not saying that we have to stop working (I tell myself this as I cannot stop work, I do it 24/7) but like the main hero of this story, when do
Michelle
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tolstoy
I think I would have liked this a lot more if the intended audience had been different. This is one of the short stories Tolstoy wrote for peasants to learn literacy from. A story about a peasant that is never satisfied with the land he has, always wanting more and better. What does it mean for someone of Tolstoy's wealthy background to write stories for peasants about how they should not be greedy and want more than they have? Sure, greed is a universal human tendency, but I just couldn't get o ...more
mayy
"The further one goes, the better the land seems."

I had pretty high hopes for these stories anyway, and to be honest I initially thought that it was just one story, turns out it is two. I feel so smart. But the second one was as good as the other.

The first one "How Much Land Does a Man Need?" delt with greed and how it could potentially destroy our lives. I think the story is a perfect representation of todays' society. People feel so protective of material things that have absolutley no value o
Licha
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, short-story
Thanks to my GR friend Tadiana for the link to this wonderful short story.

I love "moral of the story" stories and this one did an excellent job on greed. After I finished it, I had to pass it on to someone else and the victim happened to be a coworker who was walking by. He probably looked at me funny, but I really hope he reads it and will come back and tell me what he thought about it.
  LunaBel
How much land does a man need? just enough to be buried in.
Ana Carolina Maciel
A genious short story about human being's greed that also works like a wake up call.

The last sentence was absolute perfection.
Mohammed Samih
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How Much Land Does a Man Need Is Such a Wonderful Story!
Both stories had the same main idea centered around " Mans Greed" although " How Much Land Does a Man Need" was the bigger hit.
I don't know if these stories were actually in the Bible, So I judged it as a complete fiction and that's why the 4 Stars .
All Hail Russian Literature.
Yousif Al Zeera
Just add an exclamation mark at the end of the title and you will turn what appears to be a genuine contemplative question in a whispering tone into an ear-splitting deafening answer.

How much land does a man need?!

Thanks to "!" for answering one of the most sought-after questions.

• Sketchy, Doubtful, Incomplete Jottings
  • The Life of a Stupid Man
  • The Robber Bridegroom
  • O Cruel Alexis
  • The Nose
  • The Open Window (Simplified for Modern Readers Series)
  • The Reckoning
  • My Dearest Father
  • Lips Too Chilled
See top shelves…
Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy (Russian: Лев Николаевич Толстой|18479204; most appropriately used Liev Tolstoy; commonly Leo Tolstoy in Anglophone countries) was a Russian writer who primarily wrote novels and short stories. Later in life, he also wrote plays and essays. His two most famous works, the novels War and Peace and Anna Karenina, are acknowledged as two of the greatest novels of all time and ...more