Start by marking “Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)” as Want to Read:
Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)

Command Decision (Vatta's War #4)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  7,297 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
Kylara Vatta, space-trader and sometime privateer, has destined herself for a dangerous and unpredictable future. She will muster an interplanetary taskforce and forge them into a lethal weapon: one that the pirates who destroyed her family will never forget.
Paperback
Published April 2007 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Command Decision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Command Decision

Becky
May 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
When I picked up the first of the Kylara Vatta series at B&N, the clerk told me that he thought this series was vastly inferior to Moon's previous work. Needing an 'escapist' read, I ignored him and was glad I did.

I enjoyed this 5-book series much more than in previous Moon novels. They are a bit unrealistic/genius types, but it's a fun space opery read, following multiple characters/strands separately and then deftly weaving the stories back together.
Dan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Reread..
Chuck
Mar 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally got hold of this book, and, thus, have finished reading the Vatta's War book. I must TAKE EXCEPTION with others in the "Good Readers" sphere who grow impatient with Ky's moral struggles about killing. These are struggles that virtually every one who's ever served in the military find very real, and continually worrying about them keeps them human, and moral. Impatience with this aspect of Ky's character comes from a lack of awareness of a certain, necessary part of the milatry mindset. ...more
Ben Babcock
Oh wow, remember how I thought Engaging the Enemy was boring and plodding? Command Decision is the complete reverse of that. With this book, Elizabeth Moon revitalizes the Vatta’s War series. She advances the storyline considerably, for everyone involved. The result is a slick, faster-paced adventure that leaves the galaxy on the brink of hope—and war.

As usual, spoilers for previous books but not this one.

Command Decision opens not with Kylara Vatta but rather Rafe Dunbarger. Once Ky’s protege
Jim
Jul 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read. The universe didn't get any more complex & the story line continued quite logically, except for the 'hidden' person I mentioned in my last review. I found the reasons for that & the character's reasoning behind it to be weak. It wasn't the person I suspected, either.

Again, the book has plenty of action & good characters. Well worth the few hours it takes to read.
Liviu
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-sf, read_2017
short review of the series (huge novel split into 5) under Trading in danger

Kat  Hooper
Mar 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at FanLit.

Command Decision is the fourth installment in Elizabeth Moon’s VATTA’S WAR series. Things are starting to look up for Kylara Vatta, her cousin Stella, and their Aunt Grace. Ky, who has proven herself a skilled military commander and is gaining respect, still has to deal with a lot of bureaucratic silliness, but she sees more action in this book. Stella has (thankfully) rebounded from her pity party and is now the capable CEO of
James
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Moon proves with this book that she is a leading light in the Sci-Fi genre. She has left me both excited beyond imagining for the next book, but, at the same time, petrified to read it and thus end my relationship with Ky, Rafe, Stella and Aunt Grace. I mean, this is one of those books which you hold up as the archetype of an amazing novel - irrelevant of genre. Amazing, and easily worth the Five Stars.

The plot built and built so well, going from one strength to the next, never givin
Ron
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story. Moon successfully expands the cast and scope of her space opera while keeping it intensely personal to her characters.

Like all books of this type, best read in order.

A good read.
Kenny
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Already getting the next book..

Great military scifi... pirates, politics, explosions, assassinations, abductions... you know, all the good stuff jammed into a single book.
erforscherin
It's taken me longer than usual to finish this one - I lost a few weeks' momentum to the combined effects of finally landing a new job (HALLELUJAH! AT LAST!), the predictable last-minute freakout at the old job (sigh), and then the frantic packing and moving and starting of the new job (in hindsight, I probably should have taken some time off in between). But! The worst is over now, and I'm trying to find time for reading again in the new schedule.

So - Command Decision. I realized a few weeks ba
Mardel
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After thoroughly enjoying Aunt Grace's sections in the last book, I was more than ready to read more of her. However, even though there are sections starring Grace, the main stars in this novel were Ky and Rafe. Stella and Toby play a large part also, but the novel seems to focus on Ky and her expanding fleet and allies and Rafe.

Rafe has grown concerned at the lack of communications from his family. Though he's been a bit of a black sheep, distanced from his father they had been keeping in touch
Benjamin Thomas
The fourth book in Elizabeth Moon's "Vatta's War" series is an excellent read. This series is, essentially, a single novel broken into five parts so make sure you read them in order. Each book has its own beginning, middle, and end related to the scope of that individual book, however the main plot line encompasses all of the books. So now that we're in the fourth of five books, we expect the overall plot to step up a notch and lead us into the climax of the series in book five.

And we're not di
Maddalena
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Book after book this series is taking shape and substance and this installment went a long way toward helping me forget the slight disappointment of volume 2, that I’m now regarding more as a case of “growing pains” than anything else. Despite a few residual niggles, truly too small to spoil my enjoyment of the story, Command Decision turned out to be a solid, entertaining read.

In previous books, Kylara Vatta, whose family made a fortune with their interstellar transport business, was expelled f
Chelsea
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of military science fiction, intrigue, and Elizabeth Moon
Shelves: sci-fi, own
This series gets better with every novel.

In this forth installment, we get three point of views. Ky's and Stella's like with the previous book, as well as Rafe's who is now on is own. At first I found this slightly confusing I don't tend to be drawn towards multi-povs, but as the novel progressed it became easier to adapt to the shifts. I really enjoyed Ky's and Rafe's POV. Both had action but were very different styles. Ky, of course being geared towards battle, and Rafe's around intrigue.

Act
Tasula
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th in the Kylara Vatta space opera series, and I find myself enjoying the books more and more. Ky has collected some allies in her fight against the organized pirates who killed much of her family and attacked communication systems in the galaxy. Stella (Ky's cousin) is rebuilding the Vatta shipping company. Rafe (scion of the communication company) travels to his home planet to find out why the ansibles (communication hubs) have not been repaired and uncovers treachery. Aunt Grace ...more
Harald Koch
The series continues to be light space opera; yummy brain candy. The author continues to get bogged down in irrelevant details, while at the same time moving a little too quickly through the more important story developments. In fact, this installment probably has the least story advancement of the series. I still think this could have been three books instead of five with better advance plotting...

Still, this was a fun read during the Christmas break when I didn't have a lot of time to pay atte
Ian
Sep 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have started the Vatta's war series, you're going to want to read this, but I found it disappointing compared to the others. As characters and plot lines multiply, characterization and focus suffer badly. Character development for the heroes has virtually stalled. The amount of required suspension of disbelief, on the other hand, has continued to increase. The oddly compelling legalistic mercantile details that once charmed me have mostly vanished. It simply doesn't feel as though the aut ...more
Trice
love this series.
yeah, some of the coincidences/deus ex machina/etc. are a bit overboard, but after the 2nd book, they seem better folded into the rest of what's happening and various character revelations and developments.
Jason
Dec 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I can't
I have been reading the “Vatta’s War” books for a few years, though they have never been my favorites. I keep going into them expecting one thing and then getting something totally different. It took me almost half a year to get through this one.

SUMMARY
Kylara "Ky" Vatta has now organized a small, independent pirate-hunting fleet called “Space Defense Force”. She has a tactical advantage with onboard faster-than-light communications (technology known as “ansibles”), but suffers personnel and fina
Stephanie
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun, pop-sugar-2018
Definitely more satisfying than the latest Star Wars movie. All about space battles and the pressure of commanding a ship. What sets this book apart is that the four main characters are now scattered across the galaxy, so it's not just the Ky Vatta Show. Stella's storyline is kind of blah -- she's been reduced to a plot device that just makes the actions of the new Slotter Key government and decisions of Ky Vatta make sense. Rafe's story is touching; he really grows as a character. Overall the b ...more
Sue Law
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-sf
Still a reasonable paced, enjoyable space opera but not as coherent as "Engaging the Enemy", I'm not sure it caught me enough to re-read (so only 3 stars).
The main protagonists have split into 3 separate storylines: Kylara with her mini-fleet of privateers, Stella rebuilding the Vatta trading empire from a new planet and Rafe going home to find out why his family aren't contacting him any more. In addition we start to follow Aunt Grace, she of the rock-solid, diamond-containing fruit cakes, as s
Noodle TheNaughtyNightOwl
8/10: Excellent read, well written, fell right into the fictional world created.

What a team they could make, if they didn’t kill each other. If they didn’t each die before they met again. And on that thought, he fell asleep.

Rafe’s back! And that was mainly why I kept on reading after the sample. I’d thought we’d lost him, but no!

But I did find he wasn’t the same man we were used to. There were personal reasons for a change in character to some degree, but his change in character seemed too much
Mekerei
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fourth book in the Vatta Series. The story carries on from the third book.

Kylara Vatta once the black-sheep scion of a prosperous merchant family, Kylara now leads a motley space force dedicated to the defeat of a rapacious pirate empire led by the mysterious Gammis Turek.

The adventure continues. Powered thru this book. On to number five.

Four stars.

Lushr
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i’m really flying through these books, this is four out of five. the characters are really growing and changing with circumstances and the world of these characters expands quite well in this episode. particularly some life goals achieved i think. people slotting into the place they belong. it’s a satisfying read.
Erika
Jul 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ky has begun building a new fleet to counter the elusive pirates that murdered her family and continue to wreak havoc by destroying system ansibles and taking entire planets hostage. Her initial plan: build some kind of galactic defense force capable of wielding the weight of entire systems with governments supporting her endeavors against the pirates. In reality, she has three ships and not all of them are up to spec, let alone intended for war. Her small fleet is leaking money and few governme ...more
Becky
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would ship out with Ky Vatta and Rafe Dunbarger any day, any time, any where. And I want lessons from Aunt Grace; not only on her fruitcakes!
Leah
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Is it bad that I got to the 4th book in the series before realizing I've read it before? I'm enjoying the series though.
Helen
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series!
Keith Lord
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While still interesting, the series does become a little repetitive at times.
SciFi and Fantasy...: Publishing mistake 7 79 Dec 20, 2017 11:27PM
same old, same old? 6 62 Jun 07, 2014 12:28PM
  • Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)
  • What Distant Deeps (Lt. Leary, #8)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
Elizabeth Moon was born March 7, 1945, and grew up in McAllen, Texas, graduating from McAllen High School in 1963. She has a B.A. in History from Rice University (1968) and another in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin (1975) with graduate work in Biology at the University of Texas, San Antonio.

She served in the USMC from 1968 to 1971, first at MCB Quantico and then at HQMC. She marrie
More about Elizabeth Moon...

Vatta's War (5 books)
  • Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • Engaging the Enemy (Vatta's War, #3)
  • Victory Conditions (Vatta's War, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
“This has the potential to be a rolling doughnut,” 1 likes
“Apparently they didn’t realize that people who buy thousands of rounds of ammo are likely to know how to use it. We” 0 likes