Start by marking “The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)

The Bone Collector

(Lincoln Rhyme #1)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  147,126 ratings  ·  2,335 reviews
Lincoln Rhyme was once a brilliant criminologist, a genius in the field of forensics -- until an accident left him physically and emotionally shattered. But now a diabolical killer is challenging Rhyme to a terrifying and ingenious duel of wits. With police detective Amelia Sachs by his side, Rhyme must follow a labyrinth of clues that reaches back to a dark chapter in New ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages
Published April 1st 1998 by Signet Book (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Bone Collector, please sign up.
Anshu Kumar I haven't completed the first book yet, but going as per the timelines when they were published, I think the below list would be logical..
The Bone…more
The Bone Collector (1997)
The Coffin Dancer (1998)
The Broken Window (2008)
The Burning Wire (2010)
XO (2012) — small appearance
The Kill Room (2013)
The Skin Collector (2014)(less)

·  147,126 ratings  ·  2,335 reviews

Start your review of The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
Chris
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is my all time favorite book. When I was in high school I hated to read. The only books I would read were the cheesy movie knock off books. I read Mission: Impossible, Batman and Robin, and The Saint. My mom had said this was going to be a movie and the movie paperback edition had just come out. I read this book in record time for me and was captivated. No book had ever held my attention, or kept me up at night with a flash light because I had to find out what happened next.

Jeffery Deaver
*TANYA*
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think I found a new favorite series. Rhymes mind is crazy brilliant. And I love the dynamics between him and Sachs. They make a great team, they're ingenious together.
Diane Wallace
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fantastic series! an engrossing,entertaining,fast-paced,plot-twister of a series..Lincoln Rhyme is just stunning in this mystery,with all his brain power than he has to rely on..action-pact (paperback!)
RedemptionDenied
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't believe I haven't read anything by this author before - was I in a fugue? I read this as part of - The Lincoln Rhyme Collection books 1 - 4. Because I seen the movie first - a myriad of times - I couldn't help but visualise Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie in their respective roles. Bad idea. In the book, Rhyme is Caucasian and Amelia Sachs' is a fiery redhead. So that took some getting used to.

There's a killer on the loose - and ex IRD (Investigation and Resource Division) head,
Ginger
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Awesome start to a new crime detective series for me!

Lots of plot twists and I really loved the characters of Lincoln Rhyme, Amelia Sachs and Thom. I definitely plan on continuing with the books.

The forensics was excellent and very detailed in this book along with the clues to catch "The Bone Collector". The action was gripping and the suspense of the book was great.
I loved the whole cat and mouse chase of this book to get to the next victim. The ending was epic with who the killer was and the
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020

“You work too hard. Amie, this case of yours ... it wasn’t dangerous, was it?
“I was just doing the technical stuff, Mom. Crime scene. It doesn’t get any safer than that.”

On her last day as a street cop, before moving to a desk job, Amelia Sachs is sent to investigate a reported murder near the train tracks in a derelict New York suburb. What she discovers there is definitely not for the squeamish, and very soon Amie will be engaged in one of the most urgent and most dangerous manhunts the
Tim The Enchanter
My #6 Read of 2014

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome - 5 Stars

I contemplated adding a few more Awesomes to the review heading but I didn't want to overdo it. I read this as part of Book Pal challenge in one of my Goodreads groups. I have a tendency to read crime and mystery fiction written outside of North America or by lesser known authors. Given that I am apparently some pretentious snob, I assume that the more popular an author is, the more watered down and crowd pleasing the story will be.
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
I absolutely love Jeffery Deaver, his writing style just keeps you hooked and makes you think of the book even when you aren't reading it.

I never watched the film for this book and I am so glad that I didn't as I don't think that it could live up to what my imagination went through while I was reading this book. The twists and turns in this book were not what I expected at all, the characters and settings are so well described you can close your eyes and picture yourself watching them, seeing
Gina
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Everyone was right... the book is waaaaay better than the movie. I adored the characters very much. All of the down-to-earth in their own sort of way, including Lincoln. I don't know how Deaver did it, but you really feel what it's like to be his character; all trials and tribulations. I do have to admit that, after watching the movie, I believe that Denzel and Angelina played their characters very well.

The novel isn't just fast-paced, it's lightening speed! Hell, you get as much sleep as the
Drew
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
It's a page-turner, and to Deaver's credit, the extensive scenes about collecting and analyzing crime scene trace evidence rarely get boring.

Unfortunately, it's also pretty far-fetched. I'm willing to accept the elaborate murder methods, the exacting evidence collection, and the rapid clue-solving because they're the point of the novel. I accept that Lincoln Rhyme is a superhuman genius up against a larger-than-life serial killer because that's what makes this worth reading. I can ALMOST accept
Ashley🌻
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s been quite a while since I’ve found a book worthy of a five star rating, and I’m so happy to have found my first of hopefully many for the year! Jeffrey Deaver’s writing is intelligent and detailed. I enjoyed the protagonists in the story, and how their differing personalities quickly come together. I hope to find this much enjoyment as I continue through the series.
THERE WILL BE SPOILERS THROUGHOUT THIS REVIEW

18/8 - I have seen the movie a number times so I know who the killer is, but I can't remember his exact motive, so at least there'll be one surprise for me at the end. I really enjoyed the movie and was always disappointed that there weren't further instalments in the series. For me, Angelina Jolie is Amelia and Denzel Washington is Lincoln Rhyme (funny that they've both got American president's names), they are now inextricably linked. I will
Rebecca McNutt
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Exciting, powerful and thrilling, The Bone Collector is an unforgettable crime novel with one of the most interesting characters I've ever read of in the genre.
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
4.5 Stars

I've read several of novels in Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme Series, but never The Bone Collector. Here we meet the brilliant, impatient, and rude Criminologist.

Lincoln Rhyme was a genius in Forensics when he worked for NYPD until a serious accident left him a cripple (Rhyme's word). He can move everything above his shoulders and his left pinkie finger. He has lost interest in everything and is awaiting a doctor that may give him what he's been praying for - help to kill himself.
Kylie H
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
In this first book in the series, Lincoln Rhyme, a quadraplegic due to a work related accident, is approached by his former colleague, Detective Sellitto to assist with the investigation of a serial killer. Before his accident Lincoln was an expert on crime scene investigation. Through a police officer Amelia Sachs (a feisty redhead) Lincoln rediscovers his passion for working a crime scene, while plotting his own suicide to end the tedium of his condition.
Gripping, gory and thoroughly
Cathy DuPont
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathy by: Sandy Merryman
According the number of feathers I found in my yard Sunday, a neighborhood cat stalked, caught and killed what appeared to be a seagull. Its feathers looked like a gull and I’m close to Matanzas Bay and although not an expert on birds, I can surely identify a gull’s feathers.

As I was inspecting the ‘crime scene’ I looked at my feet and thought, “oh my God, I’m contaminating the scene of the crime!” I don’t think I’ll ever look at such scenes the same after reading about Lincoln Rhyme’s keen eye
La Tonya  Jordan
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery/Thriller Lovers
Recommended to La Tonya by: Tanya
Shelves: good-read
This book is taking me longer to read because I am enjoying looking up criminologist terms I do not know. This helps with the proper pronunciation and function of the word. I saw this movie a long time ago starring Denzel Washington as Lincoln Rhyme and was fascinated with the technology and science. But, reading about it is slow going.

The entire NYPD and eventually the FBI is looking for the Bone Collector. He is a madman living out a fantasy from another century. The rat scene with Morella
Melissa
5 STARS!
Wow! That was an intense book that I hard a hard time putting down. I don't know what took me so long to pick up this book, but I am really glad I did. This was like a modern day Sherlock Holmes. At first I was worried that I wouldn't like Lincoln Rhyme and wasn't sure how this would work out, but I loved the interaction between Rhyme and Amelia (she was his legs). In the beginning the forensic information was close to overload, but about 1/3 of the way through, it got less technical and
Ammar
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness what a ride

I didn’t watch the movie
But enjoyed the 37 chapters that Deaver wrote

And finally the unsub

Nikki
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, crime
Once upon a time, during my undergrad, I did a module on crime fiction. It was fascinating stuff, but I had major problems with the lecturer. One problem was that when I sent in an anonymous suggestion that she warn students of the level of sexual violence in one of the books, she responded that students shouldn't be such "fragile little flowers", and should have expected it on a course about crime. I constantly regret not standing up and pointing out to her that I am not weak for wanting a ...more
Christa
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
At the beginning of this book, I wondered if it would really be possible for Deaver to take a quadraplegic who is planning suicide and make him into a credible main character. I'm still not sure how he accomplished it, but Lincoln Rhyme turned out to be a great hero. I really liked his character, even when he was grumpy and ill tempered. I enjoyed seeing him open up to others again as he became involved in the investigation. I felt very sympathetic toward him when he showed vulnerability in how ...more
Mark
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I do have quite a few of Mister Deavers books about Lincoln Rhyme aand when I read this book first CSI and their ilk had not yet caught the interest of the general viewing public. It was still a few years away actually.

Lincoln Rhyme's, a quadriplegic forensic criminalist, first outing in which he meets an Amalia Sachs who will be his partner in many ways in the series that would follow this book. Who at the time of release was quite an original with the view at forensic science and its use of it
Bill Lynas
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having read all of Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme novels I thought it would be nice to go back to the first one & remind myself how it all began. However, with a huge TBR pile to contend with (well, who doesn't ?!) I went for the shorter audio version.
Kerry Shale does a good job as narrator & the story still holds up well after twenty years. Deaver may use the same formula time & again in future stories, but he is undeniably skilled at building tension worthy of a Hitchcock movie.
Gary
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 1st book in the excellent Lincoln Rhyme series by Jeffery Deaver.
I had already watched the film previously but this did not detract from the book.
Nikki
Like many book-to-movie adaptions, the film version of The Bone Collector cannot be compared to the terror Jeffery Deaver creates in this chilling novel.

The Bone Collector is the first in a series of books about Lincoln Rhyme, a forensic criminalist who had to leave his beloved job in the police force after an accident left him paralysed from the neck down.

Depressed by his life as a quadriplegic, Lincoln is planning his suicide… until his old partner calls him with news of a murder. The killer
Dianne
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I have owned this book since 2012 and never cracked it open. Since reading Memory Man, I felt like reading another hard-boiled police procedural and chose this. I am now in the process of reading The Coffin Dancer and am contemplating buying the entire series. The Bone Collector was just that good!

If you like or have an interest in a lot of technical information walking crime scenes, forensic science, the early history of New York City or even just a really good mystery, then I really think you
Ariel
“See, if you’re going to get by in this business, Amelia… if you’re going to get by in life, you’re going to have to learn to give up the dead.”

“Bone”—(Schneider wrote)—“is the ultimate core of a human being. It alters not, deceives not, yields not. Once the façade of our intemperate ways of the flesh, the flaws of the lesser Races, and the weaker gender are burnt or boiled away, we—all of us—noble bone. Bone does not lie. It is immortal.”

It’s been a long time since I’ve touched Jeffrey Deaver’s
John
Well, it was certainly better than the movie...but not by nearly as comfortable a margin as I would have expected. What's surprising is just how far-fetched and borderline ridiculous so much of this novel is. Despite the fact that author Jeffery Deaver obviously did his research down to the slightest detail, very little of the plot comes across as even remotely believable. The last fifty pages made my eyes hurt from rolling them so much. My favorite thing about THE BONE COLLECTOR is that the ...more
Nicole
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2019
The book was very entertaining, though not at first I considered not finishing the book. Even if it didn’t sound appealing much at first, don’t give up. Please pay attention that there’s an appendix at the end and make sure to check it out while reading. Lots of abbreviations in the book, it affected my reading experience since many times I had no clue what they’re talking about. I couldn’t guess the killer. Overall an enjoyable quick read, the book is over 500 pages but I flew through it!
Freda Malone
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Having watched the movie before reading the book, it wasn't difficult to get through. However, the forensics as it is written can get pretty confusing. I kept thinking if the forensics were this easy we'd never have a problem solving a murder. I was given the impression by several readers that Rhyme was a 'whiner' and a 'disabled' asshole. Meh, no more than what was shown in the movie. Now having read what Rhyme was going through, I'd have seriously thought of assisted suicide myself. No human ...more

• Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)
  • The Pelican Brief
  • A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1)
  • The Client
  • The Runaway Jury
  • The Firm
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • Lips of a Mastodon
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)
  • 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1)
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)
  • The Day of the Jackal
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3)
  • The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #15)
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.

Lincoln Rhyme (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • The Stone Monkey (Lincoln Rhyme, #4)
  • The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)
  • The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)
  • The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7)
  • The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)
  • The Burning Wire (Lincoln Rhyme, #9)
  • The Kill Room (Lincoln Rhyme, #10)
  • The Skin Collector  (Lincoln Rhyme, #11)
“Sometimes you can't be what you ought to be, you can't have what you ought to have.” 52 likes
“We have years to converse with someone, to blurt and rant, to explain our desires and anger and regrets - and oh how we squander those moments.” 28 likes