Start by marking “Docker in Action” as Want to Read:
Docker in Action

Docker in Action

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The idea behind Docker is simple. Create a tiny virtual environment, called a container, for your application that includes only its particular set of dependencies. The Docker engine accounts for, manages, and builds these containers through functionality provided by the host operating system. Software running inside containers share the Linux OS and other resources, such ...more
Published March 2016 by Manning Publications (first published December 31st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Docker in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Docker in Action

Jakub
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Not sure what exactly was wrong but after reading first part of the book i was lost. mostly by how docker and container was described. But that could be only me.

as for the rest of the book, it contains lots of examples... good for a blog post. i would rather see some real life example where this can help and how this can solve our problem, than how to set up wordpress on my local machine.

Side note, i don't quite like Manning Publications as they are having source code as image in ebooks - so the
Miloš Milivojević
A great read and excellent reference for best-practice approaches in building and running Docker images; unlike most of the reviewers of the book, this hasn't been my first introduction to Docker, having worked with it for well over a year now and also having read other materials on the subject. What this book had that other sources lacked was succinctly written experience-backed when, what and why's that were fun to read to boot.
Steve
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
A readable overview of how Docker works and how you can use it. The bulk of the book is about using and modifying existing docker images, but it also covers custom images, compose, swarm, and machine.

If you have been wanting to learn about Docker but haven't found the time to understand what it is and why it can be useful, this book is a good place to start.
Sebastian Gebski
Apr 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is enough to put you in action, but it won't make you running :)

The best thing about it is that it doesn't stop at single container level & it introduces tools that operate on the higher level of abstraction: Compose, Machine & Swarm. Other thing worth mentioning is some hints for common problems with dockerizing infrastructure: persistence (data, storage) & service discovery.

What is lacking then? Examples are far too simple & limited. This book just screams for more pr
Christophe Addinquy
This is a decent book, for sure, also well illustrated. But it's more a reference book than an "in action" one. It's feature-oriented, rather than usage-oriented, and it would be appreciated if more opiniated advices were given. From a development perspective, it missed pieces about dockerability of the applications.
Ma note de lecture en Français ici
Nathan Glenn
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The author gives a good motivation for the use of Docker containers in both personal and professional uses and gives details on usage beginning with basic command line image/container creation all the way up to using Docker Machine and provision servers and Docker Swarm to run jobs in a cluster.
Not much is said about the actual implementation of Docker, which would have been interesting but would have made it a very long book. This one is very practical and immediately usable.
Kawai
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: geek, code
A bit dated, but a comprehensive introduction to Docker that (more or less) stands the test of time.
Tomek Lelek
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit outdated
Yong Lai
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very thorough introduction on Docker. Great examples to guide you step by step to make sure you understand each concept. Clear writing with good structure. Highly recommended to Docker beginners.
Vergiliu
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Geared towards a more "beginners in Docker" audience, the book is doing its job rather well with lots of concepts being presented and described.
Luboš
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this book, he goes from zero to Docker, shows prac- tices of deploying Docker in production, and demonstrates many features of Docker with comprehensive descriptions and comparisons of various ways of achieving the same task.
Jeanne Boyarsky
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
I'm three chapters short of finishing “Docker in Action.” Usually, I finish a book before reviewing it but I wanted to get my review in before the coderanch.com book promotion for this title.

Anyway, good book. It covers the concepts well in addition to providing examples you can easily follow along with and best practices. There was even a scavenger hunt activity to get you familiar with search. I also liked the disclaimers about chaning tech and how to excuse the poor passwordss “suppose the DB
Biblioworm
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Автор очень хорошо знает, о чем пишет, но совсем не умеет объяснять.

Главы про то, что я и так знаю, я пролистал просто для того, чтобы освежить и структурировать свою память. Узнал при этом пару-тройку новых для меня трюков и приемов - понятно, что все есть в документации, но там слишком много.

А глава про то, что я не знал (swarm) так и не дала мне вообще никакого понимания, как этим пользоваться, кроме самого верхнеуровнего (что есть такая штука).

Глава про варианты доставки имиджей просто ужасн
Matthew B.
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book covering the basics on Docker. My only wish is that there was more discussion on real world implementations.
Emmanuel
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was very good.

For what it's worth, I already had some Docker experience before reading the book. However, the book rounded out my knowledge of Docker. I had plenty of "Ah ha's"!

One thing I'd like to note: this book is not written as a Docker reference. Not that it can't be used as such, after having read it. What I mean is later chapters depend on previous ones, so if you skip around you may miss something.
Selim Ober
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
A good overview of Docker ecosystem. Due to the nature of the technology and my expectation from the book, I read it quickly skimming over chapters. I think it's a hard job to write a book on a tool that changes so fast but the author seems to capture parts that reflect the core of the tool with usage examples.

I was expecting for more detailed chapters on deployment, configuration management and integration with continuous delivery patterns but maybe that would make the book lose its focus.
T.C.
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Generally provided a decent introduction to Docker, but many of the examples (especially the more complicated ones in the later chapters) did not work. This is the unfortunate side-effect of a rapidly evolving technology.
Dmitry
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
the book is really comprehensive, covers a lot of topics from simple to complex ones, like docker machine and swarm, the only disadvantage I've noticed, it is the way how the author explains the things, it is always a quite complex way even in case of simple things.
Frank
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: quit-reading
The index is mostly useless, alas.
Frank Palardy
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coding-misc
It's easy enough to learn without a book, but there's more to it than many realize. So the book helps.
Slade Wilson
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good book, covering all the aspects of Docker, explains nicely what containers are and how to work with them and even securing them.
Ganeshji Marwaha
Nov 25, 2016
Alireza
I always pick up ... in action book from Manning and I they never disappointed me.
Vasiliy Sushko