Start by marking “A Tolkien Miscellany” as Want to Read:
A Tolkien Miscellany

A Tolkien Miscellany

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  361 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
This book, with illustrations, gathers some of J.R.R. Tolkien's least-known and hardest-to-find works in one volume. These include "Smith of Wootton Major (story of a magical gift concealed in the most amazing cake), "Farmer Giles of Ham" (a dragon terrorizing the English village of Ham and the townspeople only hope is a local farmer with an inflated reputation of chasing ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Quality Paperback Bookclub

To ask other readers questions about A Tolkien Miscellany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tolkien Miscellany

Chris
The first 100 pages = 3 stars. The rest, one at most.

"Smith of Wooten Major" is a cute little story.

"Farmer Giles of Ham" is a good story, rather enjoyable and humorous.

Then the bad news: the books is longer than 100 pages. In fact, the rest of it shifts between unusual torture and the occasional smirk at something clever gleaned through the mire. Only occasional and that's generous.

"Tree and Leaf" is half essay and half story. Well, the essay is quite more than half and shows just what an educa
Dianne
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Is there anything more enjoyable than reading Tolkien and wandering around Middle Earth for a while? If there is I haven't found it. The Lord of the Rings books, and then The Hobbit, are some of the best reading experiences I've ever had. I didn't know what to expect with "A Tolkien Miscellany" and I can't say I loved it all, but overall it was pretty good.

Included in this book are: "Smith of Wootton Major", "Farmer Giles of Ham", "Tree and Leaf", "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" and Tolkien's t
Mj
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember picking this book up for The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, one of LOTR's more fun mythological characters. I was pleasantly surprised with Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, since I have never really versed myself in the King Arthur mythos.

This is largely a book showcasing Tolkien's proficiency with poetry, as those are the real stars here. But it also provides a deep dive into Tolkien's writing process with stories, essays, and translations as well.

As the title suggests, it is a miscella
Rachel
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I think this book is well worth buying, though I must admit I did not read it all.

The stories: Smith of Wootton Major, Farmer Giles of Ham, and Leaf by Niggle were WONDERFUL.

The essay "On Fairy-Stories" was interesting but rather long. It got pretty heavy pretty quick.

I read chunks of the poems in the back and the translations of medieval poetry. They weren't for me, but as I said, the previously unread stories were great.
Steve Hemmeke
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight from this volume, not the whole book.

This is Tolkien's translation of a medieval and anonymous text.

It has a strong meter, about 12 beats per line, and heavy alliteration - 2-4 words in every line begin with the same letter/sound.
"When the seige and the assault had ceased at Troy,
and the fortress fell in flame to firebrands and ashes..."

But the real beauty here is the story. A lesser known classic, yet everyone should read this. It's about staying true to y
Rhiannon
Oct 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
i loved farmer giles of ham, tree and leaf, the adventures of tom bombadil, and smith of wootton major... sir gawain and the green knight, however, just couldnt catch my interest. it isnt the format, just... i cant place it. i tried, made it about halfway through and there was just nothing there that made me go "i have to keep reading!"
Michael
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
A wonderful collection of some of Tolkien's short works, including the fine stories "Smith of Wooton Major" and "Farmer Giles of Ham"; of more import, it has Tolkien's excellent essay "On Fairy-Stories." These are all available elsewhere, but this is a nice volume and, along with "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" ("Ding-dong-a-dilly-o!") and some interesting translations, it's a fine tome for the Tolkien fan.
DC
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Finally made it through the entire thing. 3/5 overall rating, because I definitely liked some parts better than others. Leaf by Niggle is great, and I liked Sir Orfeo a lot, as well as a number of the "red book" poems. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, though... I'm sure it's a brilliant translation etc etc, but I didn't much care for the story.
Linda Hoover
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read, especially 'Smith of Wooton Major', which is a marvelous fairy tale. Some of the other stories will be found in "The Tolkien Reader". Worth reading for 'Smith of Wooton Major' alone!!! It is probably Tolkien's best short story.
Dave Haskins
Fiction,Fantasy
Alesia
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I vaguely remember reading this book and enjoying it. It was lost in a move or something so I haven't had a chance to read it again. I don't remember much right now.
Keri
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of Tolkien's lesser works.
David Seymour
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great additional stories by Tolkien. Any Lord of the Rings fan should read the stories for a better insight of the author and story.
Josh
Jessica Fure
Sep 28, 2007
Meran
Oct 10, 2011
J.R.R. Tolkien: Help me understand Fairies essay please 9 72 Oct 21, 2015 02:26PM
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle Earth
  • J.R.R. Tolkien's Sanctifying Myth: Understanding Middle-Earth
  • Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy
  • Hobbits, Elves and Wizards: The Wonders and Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Lord of the Rings'
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • The Sunnydale High Yearbook (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #24)
  • Christian Mythmakers: C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, J.R.R. Tolkien, George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, Charles Williams, Dante Alighieri, John Bunyan, Walter Wangerin, Robert Siegel, and Hannah Hurnard
  • Tolkien's Ring
  • How Harry Cast His Spell: The Meaning Behind the Mania for J. K. Rowling's Bestselling Books
  • Midnight Sun: The Complete Stories of Kane
  • The X-Files: Book of the Unexplained, Volume II
  • Following Gandalf: Epic Battles and Moral Victory in the Lord of the Rings
  • The Tolkien Companion
  • The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth
  • There and Back Again: The Map of the Hobbit
  • This Mortal Mountain (The Collected Stories of Roger Zelazny, Vol 3)
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)