Start by marking “The Gentleman and the Lamplighter” as Want to Read:
The Gentleman and the Lamplighter

The Gentleman and the Lamplighter

You Cant Walk Away from Love.

Destroyed by the death of his former schoolmate yet unable to show it publicly, Giles Fullerton has taken to walking the streets of London in the middle of the night, the only time he can safely mourn the only person hes ever loveduntil one chance meeting with a lamplighter changes everything.

But You Can Walk Toward It...

Widower John Banks
Published January 6th 2015 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

Start your review of The Gentleman and the Lamplighter
* A Reader Obsessed *
3 Stars

A realistic historical hurt comfort that despite class divide, two men find each other nonetheless and make a connection.

This gave a satisfying and plausible win and it was heartwarming to see love blossom again for both after such devastating loss.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

Sweet story that could have been REALLY something special if it was a bit longer.

I really liked the style of this book. It was a slow, thoughtful historical with lots of emotional and atmosphere. I didn't know that lamplighters existed (though, *duh*, those lamps didn't light themselves!), and I was pretty interested to read a story with a lamplighter MC.

The first half of the story was SO lovely. Lots of emotion there, and my heart just BROKE for Giles as he mourned his deceased
Ingie
Written January 21, 2015

3.4 Stars - Charming sweet, "me liking"

A new 60 pages novella for just a single dollar. Well worth an hour or so.

description description description description

***********************************************************

London 1880

Giles Fullerton is secretly mourning his dead friend,
the only person hes ever loved. He walks the streets of London in the middle of the night until he by chance start to talk, and get to know, the local lamplighter.

Widower John Banks is a man who knows about grief, and he
Gigi
Nov 18, 2014 marked it as back-burner-for-now
Shelves: mm-historical
Now that, my friends, is a fucking book cover!
Meags
3 Stars

The Gentleman and the Lamplighter is a heartwarming little historical novella about two men, from different walks of life, finding solace and passion together in the aftermath of great personal loss.

I liked it well enough, but there wasnt really much to the romance when all was said and done. It seemed like things were just about to get good right when it ended, if you know what I mean.

Also, that cover made me expect a much sexier read than I got, which is a crying shame.
Shin Mon Thway
My first Summer Devon and Im completely charmed! For a mere two hours listen, this one does pack unbelievable amount of all the feels. Oh, that bittersweet angst and those heart aching moments! 😌❤ You know you are going to get a happy ending and yet your heart is aching for those protagonists! It was everything! 👏

Giles has been grieving and hes been doing that for awhile. When his former classmate and secret lover committed suicide, Giles is to become the sort of caretaker for the wife of the
Nick Pageant
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, m-m
This was a too-short short story. The MC's were both likable, but nothing really happened. Still, a pleasant read. Bonus points for the cover.
Heather C
The Gentleman and the Lamplighter is a wonderful little short story about overcoming grief and finding love in an unexpected place.

Its been two years since Giles lost Woolver, his best friend and only love, and one year since Woolver took his own life. After roaming the streets of London night after night, Giles has finally decided his time for mourning is over. On the first night of his new life he encounters the lamplighter who lightens and darkens the street outside his home each night.

Wow,
Lelyana
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
"I want you, all of you"
"You got me, every speck and hair of me"

Two men, loss, grieving for their love ones.Found each other in some lonely nights walk together.
But in 1800-ish its hard to find a real togetherness for gay couple like today, but I'm glad they have agreement on something according their relationship.
Too bad it's short. I would love to read a longer version of this one.
The dialogue is clever, but sexy. I'm glad, my friend Ami let me know about this one.
Such a good story.
And
Martin
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit it was the title that dew me in.
It reminded me of the sexy fantasies these elderly ladies had when visiting Max Bialystock in The Procuders :-)

description

The story of Giles and John is quite cute. It's a short, so things progress quickly and the Victorian language made this a pretty amusing read.

However, it did suffer from the main weakness of many short stories in the romance genre:
Things develop too quickly and tend to be a tad too simple to satisfy me completely.

Still, it's definitely a great
Sara
My first read from Summer Devon and I am declaring myself a fan. I love historical romance and this story, while short was simply gorgeous and I am a bit of a mess from it.

Page one had me tearing up as we hear from Giles and his reason for taking to the streets at night to walk. The man has been bereft with the sudden passing of his friend and his feelings beyond friendship for Wool. He cant reconcile the loss of Wool so he walks until that early morning he intends to leave and ends up sitting
Richard
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aaa-2
I loved this heartwarming story of 2 lonely, grieving men who, in the light, find each other.

I tend not to read novellas and short stories because they often leave me wanting more and this book was not an exception.

I wish it had been longer.

Thank you, THANK YOU, Sandi. xo
Ami

Near the end of 2013, I discovered that I could enjoy MM historical romance. So I've been trying more and more titles. I think there's something captivating about men who trying to find love in such unfavorable circumstances of the society in general. The secretive meeting, the skirting around the danger of being found, as well as the plans to be able to get their happily ever after.

This short story by Summer Devon -- I usually read her romance when she is writing alongside Bonnie Dee
Adam
This is one of those shorts where I know I would have given it 4 stars, if it was just a bit longer.

Giles Fullerton is a wealthy man, yet he's quite lonely. He mourns the death of his childhood friend, and first love, by walking through the dark streets of London at night. John Banks is a lamplighter, and has learned to take life as it comes. John has secretly admired Giles from afar for a while now, and is happy when he finally gets to talk to Giles face-to-face.

The two begin a tentative
Denise H.
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
***** Wow, I loved that book cover !! :) Giles is financially well off, but struggling with the grief of losing his friend. John is a lamplighter/writer, who works on Gile's street, and has secretly wanted Giles for a long while. In this historical piece, the men meet in the dark and talk while walking, learning about each other, but each wary of getting close. Each knows their place in society and in the light of day, they cannot socialize. So, their stolen walks are their escape. These ...more
Trio
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was charmed by Summer Devons The Gentleman and the Lamplighter when I read it back in 2015 so when the opportunity arose to review it as an audiobook I didnt have to think twice.

Ms. Devon does a wonderful job depicting both the historic period and the differences between the social class of both men. Johns descriptions of his job as a lamplighter are lovely and truly capture the ambiance of the moment, and when he walks his route with Giles the two men make a compelling connection. The
⚣Michaelle⚣
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.8 Stars

Sweet and sexy; not too heavy with the strict historical details but between Jack's job, typical housing arrangements and being extremely circumspect about one's attractions the reader definitely could tell it was set in the past. Also I'd totally forgotten that it was somone's job to light and douse the lamps in public areas and it was an interesting to see how those performing the job went about their rounds.
Cristina
A very nice short story - melancholic, angsty, tender, with two characters deeply enveloped in their own personal grief.

Two downsides for me: the cover that doesn't do any justice to the book's atmosphere and the fact that it was way too short a read. I really would have liked a much longer story.

Otherwise, really nice.

3.5 stars for me.
Finnegan
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a good story, I just wish it was longer. Because then it would have been awesome. This is my first book by Devon Summer and i am looking forward to more of her books.
Teri
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: hot-book-covers
This was just so-so for me. I think it had the potential to be a lot more, but it kind of fell short.
It would have been a cute little story if not for the heavy dollop of melancholy. I don't mean to sound insensitive-Giles was having a rough go of it and that was sad. (view spoiler)but I felt the constant reminders of Wool painted everything gray. I was sad for Giles but at the same time (view spoiler)
Britta ★ Nachteule ★
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it

I wanted something short, sweet and cozy and I got it.
"In what world are you living?"
"The one you're in, of course."

This is a story about loss, grief, forgiving, moving on and finding a HEA in a society that wouldn't approve the love between two men.

I really liked the atmosphere. The walks in the early hours, the careful steps the MCs did toward each other...

I would have really liked it to be longer only to read more about these two lovely men.
 Reading Reindeer
Review: THE GENTLEMAN ND THE LAMPLIGHTER

Gay entanglements were considered a scandal and a crime in Victorian England, as much as in the English Navy of the 18th century, when such behavior was punished by flogging and hanging. A Victorian noble must hide his feelings, even to the point of arranged marriage, for concealment. When Woolver ("Wool") marries, then commits suicide, his beloved Giles cannot recover, living a half-life in the void. But sometimes the Universe has plans for us-- and for
Pjm12
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A gentle realistic story about two lovely boys, both grieving their lost loves. Their dawn encounters, while John does his lamp lighting (or in this case lamp UNlighting), allow each to open up and talk and dream and share.

What I liked best was the HEA which pretty much sums up the time in which they lived (1880s), and their different classes.

But I know these two will find a way to be together. Also their smexy encounters are suitably steamy and delightfully joyful. (hmm, maybe there was only
Meep
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this, for such a short novella -only 60 pages- the scene is vividly set and the characters come to life. There's strong feelings grief, need and reaching for joy. I got wrapped up in the story but then it ended, on a bright positive note but far too quick; felt honest disappointment flipping the page to find the story had ended when it had felt to be building up rather than finishing.
Extended this could make a lovely novel, I really wanted to visit this world a little longer and
Wandering Reader
Excellent story.

Currently in my top ten favorites in this genre.

Thank you to my reading friends for the recommendation.
Carol
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay-romance
short and sweet. just what I needed.
Book Gannet
Theres not a lot to this story, because it is so short, but what you do get is quite lovely. I felt so bad for Giles, not just because of the way he had to hide his grief, but because of the relationship he had before it. I was not left with a good opinion of Wool and the way he treated Giles before he died. In fact, its fair to say, I really didnt like Wool. Not just for what he did to Giles, but I doubt he treated his wife too well either.

Luckily John is a completely different type of man, one
Jessica Alcazar
I haven't read too many M/M romances before so I was intrigued when this came up on NetGalley for review. The story itself was a good one, but the character's backgrounds/pasts were not developed as they should...especially Giles'. His past relationship with Woolver, both as friends and quickie lovers was merely just mentioned yet it defined who Giles was for most of the story. I know it was a VERY short story, and there are limits to what you can develop, but I think this was a biggie. And then ...more
Sadonna
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very well done historical novella. Giles Fullerton is a gentleman who has lost his dearest friend and has been only existing since his death. He has decided that enough is enough and he meets the lamplighter who lights and douses the streetlights in his Victorian London neighborhood. This is the first connection he has made with anyone in a very long time. John Banks is the lamplighter in question and he has also suffered the loss of his wife. As these two walk and talk, they forge a ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Think of England
  • The Gentleman and the Rogue
  • Introducing Mr. Winterbourne
  • Mr. Winterbourne's Christmas (Winterbourne, #2)
  • The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series, #2)
  • Nothing Special (Nothing Special, #1)
  • Rules for Santa (Davey's Rules #3)
  • The Ruin of a Rake (The Turner Series, #3)
  • Walk Tall (Assassin's Claws, #1)
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • Embracing His Syn (Nothing Special, #2)
  • King Me (Forever Wilde, #7)
  • Don't Judge (Nothing Special, #4)
  • Here Comes Trouble (Nothing Special, #3)
  • Danger Zone (The Elite, #1)
  • Soft Limits (Deviations #0)
  • Tallowwood (Tallowwood, #1)
Summer Devon is the pen name writer Kate Rothwell often uses. Whether the characters are male or female, human or dragon, her books are always romance.

You can visit her facebook page, where there's a sign up form for a newsletter (she'll only send out newsletters when there's a new Summer Devon or Kate Rothwell release and she will never ever sell your name to anyone).

Her blog is available