Start by marking “The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3)

The Chess Queen Enigma

(Stoker & Holmes #3)

And then she mouthed a word at me—an unmistakable word that told me everything I needed to know. “Checkmate.”

Evaline Stoker & Mina Holmes have reluctantly agreed to act as social chaperones and undercover bodyguards for Princess Lurelia of Betrovia, who has arrived in London to deliver a letter that details the secret location of an ancient chess queen that’s been miss
Published October 6th 2015 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about The Chess Queen Enigma, please sign up.
Kortnee Branum it is goin to be five books. If you look on the questions for the second book, Colleen replied to confirm.

Jaylia3
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This is the third crime-solving adventure of Mina Holmes, the niece of Sherlock, and Evaline Stoker, the vampire-hunting sister of Bram, but their partnership is still uneasy to say the least. While petite Evaline is physically strong and highly impulsive, ready at a moment’s notice to barge in bashing heads and staking hearts, ungainly Mina is instead methodical in temperament, analytical in thinking, and clumsy in movement.

In spite of their differences, Mina and Evaline are both intent on unm
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Author: Colleen Gleason
Published: 06/10/2015

I received this book for free through GoodReads FirstReads competitions.

I thought that this was an absolutely amazing! It is the third book in the Stoker and Holmes series of crime solving novels. Even though the characters of Milna Holmes (niece of Sherlock) and Evaline Stoker are quite opposites of each other they both have the same goal, to unmask and capture The Ankh. The novel is set in 1889 London, where it starts off with a bittersweet rivalry b
Shelley
**I received this book for free from (Publisher) via (Edelweiss) in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.**

*Genre* Young Adult, Steampunk
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

The Chess Queen Enigma is the third installment in the Stoker & Holmes series by author Colleen Gleason. The Stoker and Holmes series is set in 1889 London, and features Mina Holmes (the daughter Mycroft Holmes) and Evaline Stoker (the younger sister of Bram Stoker).
Lollita
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Well I liked Dylan and all but he kinda made no sense and wasn't really an important character, plus I like grayling more.
Karissa
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the Stoker and Holmes series. It was a great continuation of the series, I think it was the best book in the series yet. Five books are planned in this series.

Evaline Stoker and Mina Holmes are requested as chaperones for the dreadfully drab and boring Princess Lurelia of Betrovia. England has a treaty with Betrovia for now...the initial hostilities between the two countries were caused by a chess board whose pieces were stolen by England. Now England has promised to retu
Kayla
I LOVE this series so much and think it's a shame that I know no one who reads it. Stoker & Holmes are two fierce ladies who kick ass and take names, all in the constricting fashions of the Victorian era. I honestly can't decide which of them I love more because Mina is entirely hopeless and adorable in social situations, Evaline can't stop eating and, y'know, staking vampires, and then there are a host of supporting characters that are just . . charming and captivating and also very frustra ...more
Cheryl
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I am familiar with this author as I own all of the books in the Gardella Vampire Chronicles series. I have seen these books but have not read any of them yet. In fact, when I picked up a copy of this book I did not realize it was book three in this series until I opened the book up. Luckily for me I am not the type of person that has to read a series in chronological order. In fact there has been many times when I have started a book in the middle of a series and I find this the best test of the ...more
Paromjit
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A hugely enjoyable period piece read. This is the third outing for Holmes and Stoker, but the first that I have encountered. The two women are very different characters who have a great relationship with each other. Here they are chaperones/protectors of Princess Lurelia of Betrovia. The instructions for a queen piece, a source of diplomatic friction, go missing at a welcoming ball. Holmes and Stoker are also chasing the Ankh. There are lovely descriptions of London in that time period involving ...more
Natalie (the Voracious Reader)
This series is just toooooooo good! I need more of Mina and Evaline!
Connor
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
WELL. THAT WAS A WILD RIDE (in the best possible way).

MORE THOROUGHLY:

After the Dylan-heavy narrative of The Spiritglass Charade, I must admit I found his relative absence in The Chess Queen Enigma most refreshing (He still managed to irk me to no end and play the Outsider Savior trope to perfection, though, so don't get your hopes up too high. He's an entirely too convenient character for me to find any enjoyment in his presence).

And yet--despite that, Enigma is easily the best of the three St
Basia
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was, by far, the best of the three. Not simply in terms of content--although this novel definitely felt the most balanced of the three, both narratively and as far as pacing goes--but also in terms of writing. I feel as if, reading these books, I've seen Gleason grow as a writer, and it's lovely to be on that journey with her, even as a spectator. I didn't find myself nit-picking about things as much because there was not much to nitpick. It was a refreshing, sweep-you-along sort of no ...more
Milou
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was happy to be reunited with these two wonderful ladies again. This series revolves around Mina Holmes, the niece of the famous Sherlock, and Evaline Stoker, sister of Bram. Together they solve mysteries and hunt vampires. How does that not sound great? What about if I tell you there is also time travel? And that there is a fair number of dashing young man who are sure great love interests, but this Never takes over the story and hardly anything romantic really happens (this is the third book ...more
Veronica
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Now that this series has grown to three, I can finally put my finger on why I enjoy it so much: it's ridiculous. Do not get me wrong, the series is very well thought out, and it usually takes me a good while before I catch where it's going, but I say ridiculous because Colleen Gleason mashes together at least six different genres and somehow manages to make it work. It is as if the series recognizes its own inanity and proceeds to run with it (even incorporating Queen Elizabeth I in this round). ...more
Cherie
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the Stoker and Holmes Series. I enjoyed the story in this book much more than the two previous ones. It is probably due to the character development, more than anything, but this story was also more exciting.

Our two young ladies are finally getting to know each other and become friends. I will be watching for the next installment.
Ashleigh
Mina Holmes and Evaline Stoker have another case to solve and this time it involves a missing Queen from an anicient Byzantine chessboard. Having to also take care of Lurelia, the Princess of Betrovia, the girls have to take on the task of doing both and hope that the Ankh doesn't find the missing chess piece before they do.
Maggie
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
COLLEEN GLEASON WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME
Melissa
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Okay-I'm in the swing of the storyline now. Will definitely go back and reread book #1. Such a great premise-the sister of Bram Stoker and the niece of Sherlock Holmes along with Irene Adler, a time-traveling teen, Inspector of Scotland Yard, vampires, and more! Oh my.

"Evaline Stoker & Mina Holmes have reluctantly agreed to act as social chaperones and undercover bodyguards for Princess Lurelia of Betrovia, who has arrived in London to deliver a letter that details the secret location of an
C.J. Milbrandt
Mina Holmes and Evelyn Stoker are ready for another case, but they aren't thrilled to be babysitting a princess. Visiting royalty and vampire bites. Gentleman's clubs and black market gadgets. Disguises and dance cards. Face powder and false moustaches.

I'm very much enjoying this series, especially since Gleason is weaving in past references that didn't seem significant ... and hinting at upcoming tangles in the plot. More, please!
Amanda
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fun read in this series. I'm enjoying watching Evaline come into her own as a vampire hunter and the friendship growing between the two girls. I wish Mina was a bit less obnoxious, but am going to enjoy the rest of the battle of wits between her and the Ankh in the last 2 books!
Andrea Wright
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoying this series and will be happy to see the next book when it comes out.
Nicole
Enjoyable story, and the narration is perfect. This isn't a deep book -- I mean come on, it combines vampires and steampunk and a little bit of time travel -- but it also is just a ton of fun.
Stacie  Haden
This is such a fun and entertaining series. It's young adult, so keep that in mind for all the fault you COULD find. Sometimes you just need to go with the flow.

Alternate London, 1889
JK
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
Ever since Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock, I've been keeping my eye on all things Holmes related. This series caught my attention and I was stoked to have won an ARC from Good Reads, albeit I'll be starting in the middle of the series. Well technically, still the beginning since The Chess Queen Enigma is Book 3 of the series.

I opened this book with high expectations of a Holmes-Watson like dynamic featuring two amazing heroines. Mina Holmes is the niece of the renown Sherlock Holmes, while Eval
Audrey
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the third book of the Stoker and Holmes series. I thought it was a great installment! If you have read the first two books I suggest you read this one! It was very good and enjoyable! If you like mystery, adventure, time travel and vampires this is the perfect book!

Spoilers here on out!

So it had been a long time since I had read the second book in the series so I had forgotten quite a bit about it. Even so I was drawn right in to this one!
Pix is probably my favorite character! He is so
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
I really enjoy this series quite a lot. I’m always here for historical novels with strong heroines (mentally in the case of Miss Holmes and physically in the case of Miss Stoker). The Chess Queen Enigma is the weakest in the series thus far, but it’s still a good read and I wouldn’t let that scare you off the experience that is Stoker & Holmes.

The main issue I have with The Chess Queen Enigma is the pacing. It alternated between being a touch on the slow side and rushing far too fast. That s
Zohal
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Series review

Pros
- Very unique premise: You have the niece of Sherlock Holmes and the sister of Bram Stoker working together to solve crimes in a steampunk setting, that involves elements of Egyptian mythology and a little bit of time travel. Also there are vampires. The story is definitely loads of fun.

Cons
- Very basic characterisation
- Unnecessary use of first-person dual perspective when it could have been third- person dual perspective. Sometimes you forgot whose perspective you are
Anna
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Mina & Evaline are given the task of entertaining and keeping an eye on Princess Lurelia of Betrovia. With vampires around and the Ankh still on the loose the girls will definitely have a lot on their hands.

Ms. Gleason has written an excellent addition to this series. Mina Holmes was a bit more likable in this one. The last two books I really didn't like her at all. But towards the end of book three here, I started to like her more. I loved all the Queen Elizabeth/history bits that were part
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The third book in an enjoyable series that improves with every title. Gleason's characters grow more enjoyable, their lives more interesting and the side characters more important. I really appreciate how Mina and Evaline find that they have more in common than they expect, and this, in turn, allows them to be better friends. When Gleason finally reduces the tension between them and allows them to be equals, this series will have made me love it. I look forward to that journey!

Note: this book wa
Anna
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was just ok. A little slim and flimsy plot. It was not really the page turner or story continuation I was expecting from this series. What especially irked me were a few passages that were blatantly copied and pasted from previous books.
Jeninne
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think I can safely say officially that I just simply don't care for this series. I find the mystery aspect fascinating enough, but the characters seriously lacking. And as someone who reads for the characters, bland, boring, and uninteresting characters are a deal breaker.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jul 26, 2015 11:18AM
The books with looks: The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes #3) 1 12 Mar 18, 2015 07:03PM
  • The Devious Dr. Jekyll (Electric Empire, #2)
  • Free Space (Evagardian #2)
  • Corroded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #3)
  • Window Wall (Glass Thorns, #4)
  • Dawn's Early Light (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #3)
  • Moseh's Staff (Artifact Hunters #4)
  • When the Stars Threw Down Their Spears (The Goblin Wars, #3)
  • Dragons & Dirigibles (Gaslight Chronicles, #7)
  • The Wild Adventure of Jasper Renn (Steampunk Chronicles, #3.5)
  • A Study in Ashes (The Baskerville Affair, #3)
  • Happy Birthday to Me Again (Birthday Trilogy, #2)
  • The Apothecary's Curse
  • The Seat of Magic (The Golden City, #2)
  • Charmed Deception
Award-winning, NEW YORK TIMES and USA Today bestselling author Colleen Gleason has written more than twenty books for major publishers such as Penguin Group, Harlequin Enterprises, Chronicle Books, and HarperCollins (as Joss Ware). Her books have been translated into seven different languages.

Colleen lives in the Midwest United States where she is fortunate enough to be working on her next book.

S

Stoker & Holmes (5 books)
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
  • The Spiritglass Charade (Stoker & Holmes, #2)
  • The Carnelian Crow (Stoker & Holmes, #4)
  • The Zeppelin Deception (Stoker & Holmes, #5)
“Hurry up, Mina. There's a dead body here for you! - Evaline” 2 likes
“As it happens" said my uncle," I intended to make an appearance at the met today anyway. Inspector Lestrade has been bumbling through another investigation, and I decided it would be best to offer my assistance before he travels too far down an incorrect deductive path- and note that I use the term deductive liberally. I don`t belive Lestrade could deduce in which direction a horse crossed the street even if he came upon a pile of its dung!"
Sherlock Holmes, The Chess queen enigma”
1 likes