Start by marking “Captive (Behind the Stars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Captive (Behind the Stars, #1)

Captive

(Behind the Stars #1)

Red Dawn meets LOST in this new action-adventure/paranormal romance serial!

Prentiss Puckett is certain of three things:
-Graduation is two weeks away.
-Summer only gets hotter in south Mississippi.
-She's getting a job with air-conditioning.

She did not expect to be kidnapped walking to work.
And she never expected to become a hero.

"Captive" is Episode 1 (Ch. 1-5) of a six-part
ebook, 1
Published November 9th 2014 by Leigh T. Moore

To ask other readers questions about Captive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captive

Maria Dimitrova
Surprisingly interesting if not precisely what I expected. I like the story and my only real problem with the book was that I find the MC's name strange. I'll be definitely picking up the rest of the series because it did a wonderful job of catching my attention.
Julie
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Small town life…..it’s something Prentiss Pucket knows very well. With graduation upon her, Prentiss is planning to spend the rest of her life with Jackson. The plan is to take over Jackson’s parents farm. A plan that Prentiss has dreamed of for many years. Then the unexpected happens and changes her life in a drastic way.

What would you do if you woke up to discover you had been kidnapped? To make things worse, you are taken to a camp to work for your abductors. When Prentiss discovers that her
Kirsty Bicknell
Leigh Talbert Moore’s Behind the Stars series is described as “Red Dawn meets Lost” and despite the short length of Captive the author manages to intrigue, excites and absorb her reader.
Captive begins with a sense of hope; Prentiss is in love and on her way to her last day working as a veterinary assistant. We certainly do not expect her to be kidnapped, drugged and awaken in a labour camp.
Prentiss recognises many of her fellow prisoners from her hometown of Dabb Creek, including her brother Bra
Melanie
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Prentiss works for a veterinarian and has a boyfriend named Jackson. On her last day of work, she is kidnapped. The story then alternates between what is currently happening to her and flashbacks of her past where we get to know her a little better.

There are other kids that have been kidnapped, too. She knows some of them, like D’Lo, Jackson’s best friend, and she goes to him to get answers, specifically about where Jackson is, but he’s different and acts like he doesn’t know her. The other kid
Alina Syed
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
*I received an eBook copy of this novella in exchange for an honest review.*

‘Captive’ is the first episode of the novel ‘Behind the Stars’. It’s about a farm girl, Prentiss Pucket. After her graduation in two weeks, she and her boyfriend, Jackson, are going to get married and live a happy life on Jackson’s father’s farm. But suddenly, Prentiss is kidnapped. She wakes up in a sort of a camp with some people she recognises, inter alia, her brother. Jackson is nowhere to be seen. The people in the
Coyora Dokusho
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
'Kay this was awesome. Lightning fast read that leaves you hungry for more! I think this is a serial book, but seriously, really, really good!!!
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Poor Prentiss! I have to say that her brother sounds a bit crazy, and hr boyfriend is not as nice to her as he could be.
Amelia
***Prolific Spoilers Ahead***

I can pinpoint the exact point at which I decided Captive was going to be a disaster. I'd already put up with a high schooler talking seriously about getting married and settling down and the truly bizarre notion of numerous teen and young adult inhabitants of a tiny town being kidnapped, drugged and... umm, forced to eat steak? And then the heroine Prentiss tells us that she reckons Communists are to blame. That the Russians have teamed up with the Chinese, to kidna
Benish Khan (Queen.Beenie)
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well.. Captive is a phenomenal start to a great series. The cover seemes catchy enough, and the premise was why I was interested in this book. At first, I was expecting Shocklym Syndrome, but the story completely blew me away. It has it's itty bit of SS, but it's not as extreme as it should sound. It sounded more of a love story that is actually romantic and different. This is quite unique from a lot of Young Adult novels I have read.

The protagonist Prentiss is from the south, Mississippi to be
Sadie Harper
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was hooked from the first sentence. Her descriptions paint the scenes and characters beautifully - Prentiss leapt to life before me, and I loved her instantly. Spunky, young, full of life, sure of her future: like we all are as seniors in high school.

The story took me along, and I did not struggle to keep up. I loved the abruptness of her life changing when she was abducted. It surprised me, even though I knew it was coming. The little glimmers about her captors entice in a beautifully frustra
K3
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Prentiss Puckett is the main character. Growing up in a small town in south Mississippi, raised by her father who happens to be a drunk and brother who looks to God for guidance.
She isn’t your typical young woman. She doesn’t fuss over her looks, her clothes or boys. The only man she cares about is her fiancé Jackson. She knows she isn’t leaving her small town and she is good with that. She makes the best of what she has and plans to become a veterinarian.
Her life is changed while she walks to
Jenny
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Captive is the first installment of a serial, Behind the Stars. I didn't know too much about it going in, which was probably a good thing, because that's really helped the suspense!

In this first part, Captive, Prentiss is a fairly ordinary hick type girl. She has a boyfriend, Jackson, knows all about farming (Jackson's supposed to inherit his Dad's farm eventually, so all their plans include that) and also works part time with the town vet. Its these skills that become very important later on.

On
Blondies Little Book Life
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*This review may contain spoilers*

I was given an ARC for an honest review

"You’re my only cheerleader.” He looped his arm around my neck and pulled my head to his lips, pressing them against my temple. The warmth of his kiss eased the fist in my chest, and I inhaled his smell of cut grass mixed with sweat.

This book is the first I have read by this author and I have to say that this book literally blew me away. It is so different from anything I have ever read. I love the fact that from page one I
Kelly Mccurdy
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
~~I received this in exchange for an honest review~~

WOW, where do I begin.... Leigh has done it again. This time she has written something that I can't even imagine what is going to happen. I am completely enthralled with this book. Prentiss (love this name) and Jackson have been together since forever. They know they are going to get married and they will get the farm that Jackson's dad has promised him. On her way to her internship with the Vet, something happens. She gets taken. She doesn't
Jessica Bronder
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Prentiss Puckett is a small farm girl from Dabb Creek, Mississippi. She has everything planned. As soon as she gets out of school, her and Jackson, her boyfriend are going to get his father’s farm, get married, and create a life for themselves. But on the way to the last meeting with Dr. Green, the local veterinarian she is kidnapped.

She wakes up at an odd complex and sees others from Dabb Creek. A couple are friends and others are associates from school. Jackson is not there, there are no adul
Lauren Jones
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is summarized as Episode 1 because it begins with a story about a girl who gets captured by some type of organization and then ends on chapter five leaving you with a lot of questions. What kind of organization is this? If we rebel, what are they capable of? Prentiss is forced to believe that it is the military invading her town and kidnapping everyone, but then there are speculations about non-human activity.

Overall, I will say that Leigh Talbert Moore did an outstanding job with this
Ilona
Oct 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Leigh Moore once again has captured our hearts with a new series Behind the Stars. It is light and suspenseful keeping the reader unsure of what is real.

Captive is full of heart stopping moments that leave the reader feeling many emotions- scared, heart break and heart touching moments allowing the reader fully understand the characters.

Captive is the first of the 6 parts series being released creating the complete story Behind the Stars. Each episode will be released every 1-2 weeks.

Prentsis
TheGremlin
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first in a six-part serial novel.

Captive managed to grab me and hold on until the end. It was enough that I wanted to not only read part two immediately (I'm thankful I was sent both parts at once), but I wanted to finish the entire novel.

I found myself invested in Prentiss, her predicament, and her stubborn determination to find her way out at all costs. It was, however, a little concerning that Prentiss seems to have little to no sense of self-preservation. She seems to hang on to the past
Lindsay
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I have read nearly every single book that Leigh has written, and I have loved them all. Though nothing could have prepared me for her newest story. Up until this point, they've all been contemp romance. Now? Leigh shows off her versatility by tackling paranormal. This is completely different from anything she's written to date, and I am so excited for this new endeavor!

Within mere pages I had a good grasp of who Prentiss Puckett is, and what life was like in Dabb Creek. That is... befor
Shelly Wygant
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Prentiss Puckett has her life planned out. She is getting ready to graduate, finish her job with Dr. Green, and marry her high school sweetheart. One day changes all of that. She is kidnapped and wakes up in an odd complex, Her brother, Jackson's best friend, her best friend and others from school are there. They are given jobs and go through life day by day as they try to figure out the people that have kidnapped them. Prentiss wants to figure out an escape but no one wants to help her. Everyon ...more
Alisa
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Prentiss knows what she wants in life. She has been dating Jackson since 7th grade, and they have plans for their future. Being kidnapped on her way to work was not in any of her plans. So now she has a new plan: to escape, help everyone else escape, find Jackson, and get back to her real plans. There is talk of aliens and World War 3, but nobody knows why they have been kidnapped to work on this farm, or if life outside the farm even still exists.

While Prentiss is trying to figure out what is
Christianna Marks
This is my first time diving into serial novels. As a fan of everything that Leigh Talbert Moore has written in the past I knew that I needed to give this a go. It helps that I was provided with a review copy ahead of time, but that's just in the details.

Reading the first two installments (both Captive and Learning to Spy) was a bit like reading a well written manga story. Without pictures, of course.

Captive pulls you into Prentiss's world and then shatters it seconds later. There is a feeling o
Jessica
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
** I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review**

Behind the Stars was definitely a book that kept me hooked. It started off slow but soon picked up.

Prentiss Puckett is certain of three things:
-Graduation is two weeks away.
-Summer only gets hotter in south Mississippi.
-She’s getting a job with air-conditioning.

She did not expect to be kidnapped walking to work.
And she never expected to become a hero.

First off let me say I loved Prentiss . .I love strong female characters
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-in-2014
** I received a copy of this book on exchange for my honest opinion. This has no bearing on my review in any way **
Captive book 1

Well to say that I was confused from the get go is an understatement. But it was confusing in such a way that made me want to keep reading. Whilst this a really really short read it gave the right amount of intrigue to peak my interest.

I enjoyed the format, though I ultimately don't understand why authors do this episodial format as I just want to keep reading - now!
Melanie
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a quick read about a girl who's been kidnapped and imprisoned in a prison-farm. Not too bad, right? Sounds like something just enough to spark your curiosity.

The concept in itself is interesting, and it keeps you wondering what's happening and why it's happening. But the build up of this story is nothing short of disappointing. It's way too short and you don't even discover why what's happening is happening. And just when the reader finds something juicy out, it stops abruptly. You nee
Lisa Foster
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-am-a-reader
The story of a town where all the young adults are kidnapped and no one knows why and where they are. This town is isolated anyway and the kids grew up in farmland and most do not have big dreams. The main character is Prentiss with Jackson- they are in love. Prentiss gets kidnapped, along with others and her goal is to survive and find Jackson, her hero. She does find her brother- a bible thumper who is turning into a zombie by the drugs the captors have given them. They eat eggs and steak for ...more
Amanda
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-paranormal
Did I like this book? Yes so far I am enjoying this story.

I was intrigued by the reference to Lost so I started this the day I received it. I also finished it the same day as it isn't too long.

The action started almost immediately to grab you and invest you in the story. Which it accomplished. I understand the Lost reference. What is occurring in the book is not explained. We are as lost as the main character, Prentiss who is also trying to figure everything out. Then the story shifts to the pas
Lesley Johnston
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my experience with a Leigh Talbert Moore book but it will definitely not be my last!

I was hooked into this story by the third page! I couldn’t wait to find out what was happening to Prentiss.

I was rooting for Prentiss through the entire book, so inspired to have a young, brave girl as a role model in our strange world we live in today. If I had a daughter I would definitely recommend this novel to her.

I love mystery, intrigue and action, so this book definitely did not disappoint! I love
C.P. Cabaniss
This is an interesting story that begins what I believe is a three or four book series. Why they aren't one novel, I'm not sure. The ending is more like the end of a chapter or section of a longer work than an entire story on its own.

Prentiss is an interesting enough character and I felt bad for her because she was the only one in the camp who seemed to want to change things. I also felt that she was put down too much by her family and boyfriend. She tries to make Jackson sound amazing, but I'm
Heather Carver
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

This book is really interesting. In a way it makes me think of Hunger Games, but it is different.

Prentiss is walking to work when she sees a man on the side of the road with a body laying beside him. The next thing she knows is her world goes black. Every time she wakes up they make her world go black again. Finally she wakes up with several others. She has no idea what is going on. She recognizes a few people and the person she needs the most is nowhere around. Can she help save the p
« previous 1 3 next »

• Flight (Flight #1)
  • Jordyn and the Caverns of Gloom (A Daemon Hunter, #2)
  • Deliver Me
  • A Class Apart (Class Heroes, #1)
  • The Samurai's Garden
  • Mythology: The Wicked (Mythology #2)
  • Among the Red Stars
  • I Remember (Remembrance, #1)
  • Olivia Twisted (Olivia Twisted, #1)
  • Snapped (Snapped #1)
  • Aces High
  • Volition (The Perception Trilogy #2)
  • Ultraviolet (Ultraviolet, #1)
  • My Daylight Monsters (Mary Hades #0.5)
  • Sparrow 59 (The Sleepers' Coalition, #1)
  • The Fallen (A Sons of Wrath Spinoff)
  • The Broken Forest
  • Unearthly Things
I'm the hat lady--wife, mom, reader, writer, caffeine addict, chocoholic, southern expat, and beach bum.
*LIKE my Facebook page for daily updates, new release announcements, and sale info!
*SIGN UP for my newsletter for new release announcements! (not spam)
*I LOVE hearing from readers! Send feedback, ask questions, or say hello at leightmoore(at)gmail.com.
*And I share books I think RULE right here

Behind the Stars (7 books)
  • Learning to Spy (Behind the Stars, #2)
  • Harvest Moon (Behind the Stars, #3)
  • Jackson (Behind the Stars, #4)
  • Into the Woods (Behind the Stars, #5)
  • If I Fly (Behind the Stars, #6)
  • Behind the Stars, Complete Series (Behind the Stars, #1-6)