Start by marking “Skin Privilege (Grant County, #6)” as Want to Read:
Skin Privilege (Grant County, #6)

Skin Privilege (Grant County #6)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  18,911 Ratings  ·  1,009 Reviews
Lena Adams has spent her life struggling to escape her past. She has only unhappy memories of Reece, the small town which nearly destroyed her. She's made a new life for herself as a police detective in Heartsdale, a hundred miles away - but nothing could prepare her for the violence which explodes when she is forced to return. A vicious murder leaves a young woman inciner ...more
Published 2007 by Century

To ask other readers questions about Skin Privilege, please sign up.

Kristina Horner Yes...In the U.S. it is called Beyond Reach. In the U.K it is Skin Privilege.
Kristina Horner No. The series has completed. However, the characters do come into play in the "Will Trent" Series which I highly recommend if you haven't read it…moreNo. The series has completed. However, the characters do come into play in the "Will Trent" Series which I highly recommend if you haven't read it already. (less)

Mary Beth
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 6th and last book of the Grant County Series, and OMG it was so gut wrenching, even though I was prepared for it because I read the Will Trent Series first. You will not want to do this because there are major spoilers, make sure you read this series first. If you haven't read this series yet I highly recommend it. It is so good. I will admit though that this series is not for the faint of heart.
When Detective Lena Adams is arrested in her home town in Georgia, her boss, police Chie
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
WOW! I feel like I have been hit by a freight train - that's how fast paced this book was. But it was good - really good.

Lena has a disposition which, more often than not, lands her in trouble. But never before like this.....

Slaughter must be one of the best ever writers. I even love her acknowledgements - 'Sue Kurylowicz was the winner of the 'Get Slaughtered' contest, granting her the dubious honour of having her name appear in this book. Sue, honey, you DID ask to be bad....' and It's not man
Amanda Patterson
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know how to review this book. I have to give it full marks, even though every cell in my body screams at me not to.
Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver are well known to Slaughter’s fans. Slaughter has taken the American crime forensic genre and made it her own.
Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs are running to stand still to keep up with her.
They can’t. They won’t. No-one will.
It takes a special author to shock a reader for 7 sequential books. Slaughter does it without flinching and without
Jonetta
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words sort of fail me right now. The entire book is one huge tension-filled ride and just when you think it's safe to breathe...the world collapses.

I think that's all I'll say about the book. It's brilliantly written, no matter how upset I am about the series end.
Mo
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Let's just say if I had been heavily invested in these books and these characters, this author would probably have lost a fan for life. (view spoiler)

He was smiling again, that half-smile that could infuriate her and make her love him at the same time.

Ah, well, back to Will Trent and to see how that all pans out.

✨Susan✨
In this final addition to the, "Grant County" series, Lena leads Jeffery and Sarah into a deadly situation and as usual she is in over her head. Jeffery knows that Lena took a trip to her home town to find out why she had been unable to reach her uncle who had in fact raised her and her sister. When Jeffery is unable to reach her days later, he and Sarah are off to the next county to see what gives. Upon their arrival they learn Lena is in the hospital and being held for questioning, her uncle i ...more
Donnelle
Apr 11, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Janice
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great writing by Slaughter as always... but man, the ending!! I was literally heartbroken!! I cannot believe Karin Slaughter did that!!!

I highly recommend first time readers of this series (Grant County) to start from the beginning because you gotta understand the complexity of these characters. There's just so much to Lena Adams, Sara Linton, and Jeffrey Tolliver that you can't really get from just reading this book.

A must-read for suspense-thriller fans!! The ending... still gets to me!
Wysterria
Nov 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
karin slaughter is one of my favorite authors. i went on a spree and read everything she has written. i have a hard time giving her anything less than 5 stars. she writes captivating stories on the topic of crime scene/mystery/romance. strange combination i know. the main characters of her grant county novels are sara linton and jeffrey tolliver, who used to be married, and are both involved in each crime scene. jeffrey is chief of police and sara is county coroner. they have side story of their ...more
Jori
Oct 20, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Brenda
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Darn you Karin Slaughter!! Darn you for making me fall in love with Sara & Jeffery & all the characters of 'Grant County'. Now the series is done and I'm left with a binge-worthy series hangover. I enjoyed this series very much. This & Blindsighted were my favorite books of the series. Thankfully, I have 'Will Trent' to look forward to.
Karin Slaughter
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I should also add that this book is called SKIN PRIVILEGE in the UK and other territories. My US publisher felt that Beyond Reach would be a better title, so we went with that here. Same book, same story, same words except for that color/colour thing.
Janie Johnson
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This is the 6th and final book in the Grant County series. Although it reads like it could have another to the series and somehow I wished that there was another. I tired to prepare myself for this one since I was spoiled by reading the Will Trent series first, but I never quite got prepared enough.

Synopsis
Sara Linton--resident medical examiner/pediatrician in Grant County, Georgia, --has plenty of hardship to deal with, including defending herself in a heartbreaking malpractice suit. So when he
Maureen DeLuca
What can you say about Karin Slaughter- If you like the thriller, slasher, kill em, slice them up , dice them up and all that other good stuff- this lady can pretty much do it all. Having said that - as far as this series is concerned "Grant County" it just didn't do it for me like so many of the goodreads people. First you have Lena- I know so many really hate her. I don't 'hate' her at all. I pity her more than anything. Having the childhood she had , and my goodness let us not forget what she ...more
Stacey
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane Stewart
Mar 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Story was kind of average. But the terrible ending brought this to 1 star.

I can’t trust this author to give me a good feeling at the end or emotional justice. I want closure and questions answered. In this book questions were not answered. Things were not resolved. Future threats still exist. And worst of all something horrible happens to a main character.

During the book, I was curious about what was going on and what would happen. On hindsight, I regret reading this.

The author’s mechanics were
Freda Malone
Apr 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I repeatedly kicked myself in the butt for not reading the Grant County series before starting the Will Trent series, which was where Sara Linton's life changed dramatically. I will try not to make this mistake again with other series. The timing has to be just right for the reader to understand the need for the chronological process.

This is the end to the Grant County series and I am not as shocked as I would have been had I not read all the books in the Will Trent series first. I knew some th
Esther
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know what Karin Slaughter is doing to me.. This can't be the end of the Grand County series?! I need another book..
WTH is this ENDING...?!

Srsly, read this series. It's the best ever. And I can't believe that Karin Slaughter chose to end the series this way.. I always hope for a GREAT finale.. And this is one... I'm shocked beyond believe.

Longer review:
RavenclawReadingRoom
3.5 stars.

Somehow when I devoured the Grant County books a couple of years ago, I missed out on this one. I'm still not sure HOW I did that, considering this one ends with a super major massive plot point that has massive ramifications for the subsequent books. So I knew about the super major massive plot point? But I'd never actually read about it happening.

Anyway.

Ultimately, this one was a bit of a let down for me. It's so ridiculously Lena-focused, and she drives me nuts. And because I kne
stephanie
i am so. happy. about this book. seriously. and so happy i didn't wait and got it when i did, though the cover of the american version is awful pretty . . . though i don't like the title as much. Beyond Reach.

i don't know how much i can say without ruining the book, but seriously, the whole thing just keeps going and going and then it ends, and you're like, wtf?! it's such a wtf that the author wrote a letter to answer the inevitable flood of questions/etc.

i, however, couldn't be happier with
Paula
Jul 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still not sure what I just read. I'm so mixed in my feelings about this book right now. Most of this book was a five star book, but in the end I have to give it three stars.
Megan
Sep 05, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I needed more reasons to stay out of the South, meth addicts and white supremecists would probably do it. I have long been a fan of Slaughter's Grant County series, which follow local pediatrician/coroner Sara Linton and her on-again/off-again cop husband. The series is always dark, and often a tad too gruesome for me, but the characterization is great and the plots tight. Her new book is a great addition to the series, taking Sara and Jeffrey out of their comfort zone and onto a case involvi ...more
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
5 stars - even though it broke my heart. There's no way to discuss this book without spoilers. I will say that this book & the entire series is written realistically...often graphically depicting the dark side of human nature. Slaughter doesn't sugarcoat this world and as she so aptly shows us, life doesn't always lead to sweet HEA's. I have so much respect for her for sticking to her vision for this series & I continue to be in awe of her writing talent.
Dana
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love these characters (Sara Jeffery and Lena). I cried at the end of this book, I never saw it coming. I had to read the last two pages over again just to make sure I was reading it correctly. I do recommednd that you read this series in order so you get to know the characters and understand what has shaped them and understand where they are going.
Clare
Feb 12, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
This is one of the worst books I have ever read. The plot is convoluted and moves back and forth in time so that it's hard to understand, the characters are not particularly interesting or likeable, and the ending is miserable. I will not bother with Karin Slaughter ever again.
Ann Girdharry
I give this book five stars for the ending and four stars overall.

Lena Adams has always been a bit unstable and now she's in it over her head.

Lena goes back to her home town to find out why her Uncle Hank has gone back onto drugs. What she uncovers involves an entrenched drug operation that has been running for decades. Locals are being paid to keep silent. Some of them have made their careers by keeping silent. Lena will take them on and she finds herself the suspect for a horrific killing.

J
Abbie Ennis
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star
Marnie  Krüger
I have to start by saying that this book and series's ending was spoil for me, so I wasn't super hype to finish it.
I also think that's why it wasn't one of my favourites, and why it's the lowest rating I ever gave a Slaughter book.
Well that and the fact that I'm not a fan of Lena, never liked her, never will.

But I really, really want to continue with the Will Trent series, so I finished this one.

It wasn't bad, but with the ending spoiled and the Lena saga it wasn't a top book for me.
Amber
I'm officially all caught up and can go back to the Will Trent series since I now know how the things I spoiled myself for play out. Lena still drives me mad and, being very centered on her as well as having spoiled myself, are the reasons this book got this rating
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Lena, Lena you truely peed me off several times in this book. The ending was a shocker and well I hate what happened. On to find out what happens to my pals in Grant county!
Beyond Reach - the ending *spoilers* 50 463 Oct 15, 2017 03:19PM
A Million More Pages: 6 - Skin Privilege/Beyond Reach (Grant County): May 24 17 21 May 28, 2015 12:40AM
Thousand Oaks Rea...: Karin Slaughter's "Beyond Reach" 2 9 Nov 12, 2012 09:04PM
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Say Goodbye (Quincy & Rainie, #6)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • The Cold Room (Taylor Jackson, #4)
  • Nothing To Fear (Romantic Suspense, #4; Chicago, #3)
  • Breakneck (Kitt Lundgren, #2)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Malice (New Orleans, #6)
Karin Slaughter is the New York Times and #1 internationally bestselling author of seventeen thrillers, including the Grant County and Will Trent series, COP TOWN, PRETTY GIRLS, THE GOOD DAUGHTER and the e-original short stories “Snatched” “Busted" "Blonde Hair, Blue Eyes" and "Last Breath."

Slaughter was born in a small southern Georgia community, and now resides in Atlanta. She is widely credited
More about Karin Slaughter...

Grant County (6 books)
  • Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • Faithless (Grant County, #5)
“Only...ever...you.” 0 likes