Start by marking “قصة حياتى العجيبه” as Want to Read:
قصة حياتى العجيبه

قصة حياتى العجيبه

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  143,370 ratings  ·  2,970 reviews
When she was 19 months old, Helen Keller (1880–1968) suffered a severe illness that left her blind and deaf. Not long after, she also became mute. Her tenacious struggle to overcome these handicaps-with the help of her inspired teacher, Anne Sullivan-is one of the great stories of human courage and dedication. In this classic autobiography, first published in 1903, Miss Ke ...more
Paperback
Published by الهيئة المصرية العامة للكتاب (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about قصة حياتى العجيبه, please sign up.
Florence Pauline Yes! I read this when I was around 8 years old. It was really inspiring for me as a young girl to read about such an inspiring woman.

·  143,370 ratings  ·  2,970 reviews

Start your review of قصة حياتى العجيبه
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Story of My Life, Helen Keller

The Story of My Life, first published in 1903, is Helen Keller's autobiography detailing her early life, especially her experiences with Anne Sullivan. Portions of it were adapted by William Gibson for a 1957 Playhouse 90 production, a 1959 Broadway play, a 1962 Hollywood feature film, and Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Black featuring Amitabh Bachchan in the role of Anne Sullivan.

The book is dedicated to inventor Alexander Graham Bell. The dedication reads, "TO ALEX
Candi
"Thus it is that my friends have made the story of my life. In a thousand ways they have turned my limitations into beautiful privileges, and enabled me to walk serene and happy in the shadow cast by my deprivation."

This captivating memoir written by Helen Keller at the age of twenty-two was such a refreshing read! It really did manage to put a smile on my face and restore my spirit at a time when it seems so much negativity envelops us. There is no doubt that Helen was a remarkable woman and he
Laurel
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
I have always held Helen Keller in high regard. How can you not, really? She is a remarkable woman. I did a report on her in grade school, and though I forgot many facts of her life over the years, what I learned of her perseverance and strength of spirit left a lasting impression on me.

Helen Keller's spirit certainly shines in this short but beautifully written memoir, which Helen wrote when she was just 22 (and, worth noting, attending Radcliffe College).

I think most know that Helen lost her s
Caitlin
Jul 24, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting book in that it exactly fails to answer the question that you wish it would answer: what is it like to be both blind and deaf?

Of course her education was marvelous and it is amazing that a young woman with those disabilities was able to overcome them and become a productive member of society. However, I found that the book focused much more on "how I became normal" instead of on "how my life is different."

I found the prose to be a bit flowery (perhaps a product of the er
Luís
It is a charming story. Besides, if I hadn't known it was a true story, I wouldn't necessarily have believed it, in short. Yes, it's a beautiful book, but I got a little bored reading it. This book meets a few lengths. The way of telling the author's life of Helen is not particularly interesting; the latter does not have a particular style that gives us a closeness to the characters, which makes the story moving. It's a shame because she could have made it into a book full of life and emotions, ...more
Chrissie
What I was looking for in this book is not what I got, but I am still glad I read it.

This is an autobiography written by Helen Keller (1880- 1968). It was published when she was still only twenty-two, when she began her education at Radcliffe. Thus, it does not cover her whole life and is in a sense biased in that she is telling us what SHE wants said. To get a full idea of her life, even just the first twenty-two year of it, you must read other books too.

Clearly, Hellen Keller was an intelligen
Elyse Walters
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helen Keller died at the age of 87 in 1968.
At 19 months old, she came down with an illness ( Scarlet fever), that left her blind, deaf, and mute.

Most people are familiar
“The Miracle Worker”... the award winning play.
Less are familiar of her many contributions. She became a writer, and publisher. She made many contributions into Human Rights. She helped many who were blind and death, but also fought for world peace and women’s rights.

She attended Radcliffe, the prestigious college for women
Vanessa
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A remarkable story of a remarkable woman who defeats all the odds stacked against her. Helen at the age of 19 months old contracts an illness that renders her both deaf and blind. This story mainly focuses on Helen's earlier life and describes how she learns to read, write and communicate with the aide of her teacher Miss Sullivan after her family decide to take her to the Perkins Institute for the blind in Boston in 1886, Anne Sullivan becomes instrumental in her life teaching her methods in co ...more
Whitney Atkinson
When I learned about Helen Keller, the impression I was given of her was that her life was ~so miserable~ until she was graciously granted a teacher who showed her the world and how to communicate. This book posits Helen's life as that of a blessing, one where she had moments of hardship, but she still felt guided by an excitement for life and experiencing new things rather than being revolted by them.

This book was so fascinating because it painted a different picture of a historical figure I th
Lubinka Dimitrova
I just wish I had half her eagerness to learn, and even a smidgeon of her abilities, resilience, joie de vivre and determination. While reading, I was constantly wondering, how can a blind and deaf person exhibit such rich vocabulary and such detailed images of the world around us? Hope nothing's wrong with me for being jealous of her... ...more
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A lovely, quotable book, similar to the writing of L.M. Montgomery.

Which is also what bothers me about it.

When I first read this, years and years ago, I was impressed by all the poetic imagery. And it is impressive that she was so well versed in the language of sight and sound. But reading the book now? All those bells, and crickets, and clouded, blue skies...just make me sad. She wasn't meeting us halfway. She was meeting us all the way.

She touches on the problem, herself:
At that time I eagerly
Carol
Helen Adams Keller was born June 27, 1880 and died June 1, 1968. This informative and interesting memoir depicts her life as a healthy child, her critical illness at 18 months that resulted in the loss of her hearing and sight, and the long, hard road ahead that eventually lead to her unbelievable accomplishments and graduation from college in 1904.

Helen was a remarkable child who learned patience and overcame extreme adversity due to the loving and unrelenting dedication of her Teacher Miss Ann

Vicki
I loved reading this book. I read it as a school girl and was awe struck. I lived in Alabama myself so I knew of her home and have visited it several times over the years. There was something wonderful about seeing from her own words how she had not only survived but thrived.

She had such an indomitable spirit that shone through. She was my hero when I was a child and she has not lessened the impact she had on me even today.

I have just re-read this book and I gained even more insight into her
Hilary
Helen Keller had a severe illness at 19 months old which left her deaf and blind. It is hard to imagine losing one of those senses but to lose both must have been such an unbearable sensory deprivation. So understandable that (view spoiler) Luckily for Helen she had an understanding family wealthy enough for a tutor who helped her to learn all the subjects a hearing and sighted child would learn and more. An inspiring book full ...more
Suz
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I am sure this has been reviewed. I have been enamoured with Helen since I was 5 years old.
Sara
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
The autobiography of Helen Keller, written when she was still quite young, as she had just finished college. It is a fascinating thing to even contemplate what a brilliant mind she had despite the obvious obstacles that were set in her way at such an early age. My greatest admiration goes to Miss Sullivan, without whom Helen Keller's mind would undoubtedly remained locked in her disabled body.

Miss Keller describes things so vividly it is difficult to remember that she has not seen nor heard any
Antoinette
2.5 Stars

When I think of Helen Keller, I think of the movie “The Miracle Worker”- Anne Sullivan helping Helen achieve understanding and independence. It was brutal to watch at times- how much patience and energy was involved.

This book glossed over any struggle she had. Miss Sullivan arrived and presto she was learning. It was like it occurred overnight, which I know it did not.

She writes of her love of nature, of books and of learning. What was disconcerting was the way she wrote about the world
Jason Pellegrini
When I heard this was the book that inspired The Miracle Worker, I really thought it was going to revolve around Anne Sullivan and the difficult process of breaking through the barrier of blindness and deafness to get to Helen Keller. I remember vague details of the play (and movie) from way back in middle school, and remember thinking then how interesting it all was.

This wasn't the case with this book. What this book dives into is Keller's life after all the events of The Miracle Worker. Which
Amy
Nov 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I. just. can't.

I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I hated this book. I didn't expect the life of a deaf and blind girl in the late 19th and early 20th century to be very exciting, but I had hoped for more...I don't know...emotion...substance...story...

There are some nice moments in this book and Helen Keller's life is inspiring, but for the most part this book is mind numbing.

***** SPOILER ALERT*****

This is what happened to Helen Keller:

She had a horrible illness at nineteen months old which
Wanda Pedersen
This is my “Celebrity Memoir” book to fill the Book Riot Read Harder challenge for 2018. Helen Keller was rather famous in her day, being the first deaf-blind person to earn a BA degree. I believe she is still admired by many in the deaf community.

I don’t suppose it is surprising that she was an avid reader, once her teacher Miss Sullivan managed to make the breakthrough that allowed Helen’s education to begin. It was an activity that she could pursue on her own at her own speed and, like all of
Ammara Abid
Absolutely agree,
"Any teacher can take a child to classroom, but not every teacher can make him learn". ~Helen Keller

I'm truly inspired by Helen Keller, she's a wonderful woman. One of the most beautiful & inspirational autobiography -biography I have ever read.

I'm in awe what an extraordinary imagination she had, she was blind but honestly she can see more than me. The way she pictures her surroundings is exceptional. She's a true symbol of hope.

What could be more beautiful than this!
"Wh
Rebecca
Keller’s story is culturally familiar to us, perhaps from the William Gibson play The Miracle Worker, but I’d never read her own words. She was born in Alabama in 1880; her father had been a captain in the Confederate Army. An illness (presumed to be scarlet fever) left her blind and deaf at the age of 19 months, and she describes herself in those early years as mischievous and hot-tempered, always frustrated at her inability to express herself. The arrival of her teacher, Anne Sullivan, when He ...more
Sean Peters
Well, back at work at home !!

Spreadsheets.... Which means I can listen to a book while I am working...

Helen Keller... Well I loved the film The Miracle Worker, an incredible story, but that's only part of the story, a very small part...

The story is remarkable, the intelligence of Helen Keller, her pure willingness to learn not only to understand, to talk, but learn German, French, hours of extra work to learn.

Her teacher, Mrs Sullivan, the hours and the patience of teaching her to understand, wo
Ashley Marie
Her words are eloquent and timeless.

I remember reading a kids' biography of Helen by Margaret Davidson multiple times over when I was younger (alongside a similar biography of MLK Jr) and certain parts of this brought back elements from that book that I'd completely forgotten. Most people know of Helen because of The Miracle Worker, but it's so important to remember that her story didn't end by the water pump when she was a child; that was when her world was truly reopened.
Bridgette
This was incredibly disappointing. Ms. Keller's book is too lighthearted. I have an immense respect for people who live, learn, and succeed against all odds but Ms. Keller's account of her early years is all sunshine and daisies. It is not believeable or real. There is no heartache, anger, or frustation that we all know that had to be a part of her daily life. She goes into way too much detail describing flowers and people and books she likes. There is no substance. Uggh... and I wanted to like ...more
Adrienne
Nov 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was purely inspirational to me. Helen Keller has some great insights on life that we can all learn from. One of my favorite quotes from her book in Helen's own words: “Is it not true, then, that my life with all its limitations touches at many points the life of the World Beautiful? Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content.

“Sometimes it is true, a sense of isolation enfolds me like a cold mist as I sit alone a
Faye
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what an inspiring person! Helen was an amazingly brilliant woman who overcame more obstacles than most people will ever face in their entire lifetime. Not only did she overcome her obstacles, but she excelled! She learned other languages and was an avid reader not only of English literature, but she also read books in German and French and even Latin. This was an amazingly well written story.
Jane
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, book-club
Where I got the book: purchased from Amazon. A Book Wizards book club read.

This was one of those books I managed to miss reading during my childhood years—I wonder what impression it would have made on me then? It is, of course, Helen Keller’s own story about how her teacher Annie Sullivan helped her escape the dark and silent world an early illness had thrust her into by teaching the deaf and blind girl to communicate via touch and, eventually, speech.

I found many aspects of Helen’s story fasci
K.D. Absolutely
This is a sweet inspiring thin book (100+ pages excluding the Letters portion) and I finished this just in two days. Despite being deaf and blind, she was able to get a good education and helped people who were in the same situation as she was. This autobiography was written by Helen in 1903 but its strong message (that physical deformity should not be a hindrance to fulfill one’s dreams) still applies in generations to come. For me, a book can be defined as classic if it has a lesson that can t ...more
Steven Walle
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing autobiography of a girl who conquered her weaknesses. Hellen Keller was a deaf blind girl who learned sign language and braille, and founded a college for the deaf blind in Washington DC. She overcome all odds with an amazing possative attitude which was partly imparted from her long suffering patient teacher.
I recommend everyone reads this and gets inspired.
Be Blessed.
Diamond
Challenging Persp...: 2022-07 - The Story of My Life 2 2 Jun 09, 2022 07:17AM
Recommendations for a good Helen Keller biography? 2 6 Jul 28, 2021 03:49AM
Goodreads Librari...: Cover Request 3 3 12 Dec 29, 2020 10:11AM
Fake? 14 262 Dec 16, 2020 03:47PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover & page number 2 11 Oct 19, 2020 12:36PM
Around the Year i...: The Story of My Life, by Helen Keller 1 6 Jun 08, 2019 11:41AM

• Gandhi: An Autobiography
  • A Beautiful Mind
  • Helen Keller
  • The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream
  • The Local School
  • Anne Frank Beyond the Diary: A Photographic Remembrance
  • Vision to Reality: Stop Working, Start Living
  • Helen and Teacher: The Story of Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan Macy
  • Long Walk To Freedom (Volume 1: 1918-1962)
  • Helen Keller: A Life
  • Soul Cure: How to Heal Your Pain and Discover Your Purpose
  • Anne Frank Remembered: The Story of the Woman Who Helped to Hide the Frank Family
  • Three Men in a Boat (Three Men, #1)
  • A Child Called "It" (Dave Pelzer, #1)
  • Einstein: His Life and Universe
  • Goldilocks & Three Bears: Bears Should Share!
  • Long Walk to Freedom
  • Twelve Years a Slave
See top shelves…
Blind and deaf since infancy, American memoirist and lecturer Helen Adams Keller learned to read, to write, and to speak from her teacher Anne Sullivan, graduated from Radcliffe in 1904, and lectured widely on behalf of sightless people; her books include Out of the Dark (1913).

Conditions bound not Keller. Scarlet fever rendered her deaf and blind at 19 months; she in several languages and as

News & Interviews

Here at Goodreads World Headquarters, we're always on alert for any shifts in readerly attention that we can spot. Recently we've noticed a...
“One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.” 1418 likes
“Literature is my Utopia. Here I am not disenfranchised. No barrier of the senses shuts me out from the sweet, gracious discourses of my book friends. They talk to me without embarrassment or awkwardness.” 222 likes