Start by marking “Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together” as Want to Read:
Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together

Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  246 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Modern conversation is a lot like nuclear physics, argues William Isaacs. Lots of atoms zoom around, many of which just rush past each other. But others collide, creating friction. Even if our atomic conversations don't turn contentious, they often just serve to establish each participant's place in the cosmos. One guy shares a statistic he's privy to, another shares anoth ...more
Published September 14th 1999 by Crown Business (first published September 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Dialogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dialogue

David Kimball
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dialogue: And the Art of Thinking Together
By William Isaacs

This is a great book to make you stop and think about what makes for great dialogue. It helps you ask the right questions such is How do I define great dialogue? How can I create the environment for great dialogue? What are the elements that make up a great dialogue?

The author defines dialogue as a conversation with a center, and not with sides. Instead of focusing on our differences, it channels our energies on something that is newly c
Gene
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Isaacs draws on thought of David Bohm and makes a clear presentation for contempory efforts to getting people to talk together for real change.Plenty of examples, stories and insights.
Sam
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading Dialogue: The Art of Thinking Together by William Isaacs has had reverberating affects on my way of thinking, seeing, and participating with the interconnected world around me. It has left me wondering why we collectively pretend, as a culture and as a species, to know what we are supposed to be doing here in this world with the time we have been granted. We stroll through the streets of our brilliantly constructed societies with a contrived sense of ease and understanding that what we a ...more
SJ Loria
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
 If you cannot sit still and listen to others you may want to skim through this book. Probably the only business book I've read where I asked myself, is this guy high? Listen I'm usually a huge fan of explaining the why behind an idea, but he goes on about oneness and the universe and his boy David Bohm's theory on life almost too much. I found myself saying, OK, I get it, I see why you think that way but how do I apply it? What specific things can I do to put this into practice?

I also propose
Sheehan
Sep 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Well I probably spent the most time reading this book of any text so far this year...a bit dry, certainly relevant.

Dialogue is an exposition on the ways in which discussions can be made more fruitful, philosophies which support and inhibit productive exchanges, and how they can be applied to real-word impasses.

Very basically, a few key aspects of productive dialogue are examined and played with throughout the book: voicing, listening, respecting and suspending/suppression. All seemingly intuitiv
Tina
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Dialogue is "a conversation with a center, not sides."

Based on the research and work of MIT-based group "The Dialogue Project" and his consulting business, author Bill Isaacs outlines ways to consider the event of the conversation among people who may or may not have the same perspective on a topic. Giving reflection and response time in a conversation is critical. Love the quote, "People don't listen; they reload."

While the principles are universally applicable to all conversations, personal an
Kristopher Muir
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Dialogue" is a contemplative book that questions how little we truly engage in dialogue when we meet in groups and markets dialogue as critical to our companies and our lives. Providing 4 crucial capacities to develop--listening, suspending, respecting, and voicing--as well as indicating how we can spot structural traps in conversations, the book also serves as a guide to improving our dialogues. Using mostly research by physicist David Bohm, family systems therapist David Kantor, and experienc ...more
John Gillis
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book that is probably 100 years before its time. If you at all have a job that requires convincing people, moving the needle, or negotiating serious collaborative stuff, you should read this. It is a straightforward read, but dense with reality and very deep, and resourced in the seminal resources of psychology, sociology, and anthropology.
Stuart Reid
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very impressive book. Weaves together a lot of different strands of theory into a coherent whole. A lot of the thinking in here resonated with me, and I liked Isaacs' warnings against turning dialogue into a holy grail - he suggests dialogue is a process of moving between different types of conversation, and is not just something that we achieve only rarely when conditions are perfect.
Rúben
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Many new interesting and relevant concepts, but many of them seem to be still incomplete in the author's mind. Perhaps too much deviations from the main idea of the book; it could have been written in only one third of the pages.
Ellen
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the way William defines and breaks apart words. The group dynamics and explanation of how we create as we speak is fascinating.
Hoa
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good for anyone to understand how a meeting should run to work efficiently and effectively. Useful information to seeing how your actions can help or cripple new ideas in a meeting.
Avance MBA
Oct 17, 2012 added it
Shelves: leadership
Suomeksi nimellä: Dialogi -yhdessä ajattelemisen taito
Zlyoc
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
".......eksplorasi prisip2 dan praktek dalam bergerak melampaui pelaporan pikiran2 sendiri kepada pemikiran sebenarnya secara bersama2 dan membangun kebijaksanaan kolektif...."
Sean
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A most thought provoking book and one I have consciously taken my time to read so as to get the most from it.
Peter
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most important books I've read in my life. By changing the way we talk and listen, things do not have to be as they are.
Megan
Jul 13, 2009
  • On Dialogue
  • Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future
  • Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind
  • The Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • Synchronicity: The Inner Path of Leadership
  • The People's Scrum: Agile Ideas for Revolutionary Transformation
  • How To See
  • Solving Tough Problems: An Open Way of Talking, Listening, and Creating New Realities
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • Community: The Structure of Belonging
  • People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts
  • Group Genius: The Creative Power of Collaboration
  • A Compass to Fulfillment: Passion and Spirituality in Life and Business
  • The Retrospective Handbook: A guide for agile teams
  • In Over Our Heads: The Mental Demands of Modern Life

“The capacity for talking together constituted the foundation for democracy, far more fundamental than voting. As one ancient Greek philosopher noted, “When voting started, democracy ended.” 0 likes
“The intention of dialogue is to reach new understanding and, in doing so, to form a totally new basis from which to think and act. In” 0 likes