Start by marking “Solitaire” as Want to Read:
Solitaire

Solitaire

(Solitaire #1)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  7,539 ratings  ·  1,594 reviews
In case you’re wondering, this is not a love story.

My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year – before all that stuff with Charlie and before I had to face the harsh realities of A-Levels and university applications and the fact that one day I really will have to start talking to people – I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but th
Published March 30th 2015 by HarperTeen (first published July 31st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Solitaire, please sign up.
Theo Hendrie She released a novella about them I believe but she also writes and draws the Heartstopper web comic on Tumblr which is about the two of them!
Carolyn The MC lives in the UK. I think in England.

·  7,539 ratings  ·  1,594 reviews

Alice Oseman
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is my first published book! I wrote it when I was 17 and it is very close to my heart. It features:
- a protagonist battling depression with self-deprecating jokes and learning to find joy in the world
- an eccentric speed skater who likes solving mysteries but doesn't have any friends
- two very different teens finding hope in a new friendship
- an online group of pranksters
- Nick and Charlie from heartstopper
I really hope you enjoy it!
Kiki
I started writing books when I was thirteen.

They were terrible. Man, they were bad. I also wrote fanfic, which I think was actually a better use of my time - I learned so much from writing fanfic. And I think the reason why my fanfic was better than my original ninety-page "novels" was because, at thirteen, a person simply does not have the range to write with enough nuance, restraint, or sociological knowledge.

The biggest thing I've learned since I started writing books almost ten years ago (
Kai
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, queer, underrated, owned

4.5/5 stars

I first heard about Solitaire on Tumblr. I've been following Alice Oseman ever since and I desperately wanted to read her novel. So when I finally, finally! found it at the library I think I maybe made some loud joyful sound and hugged it...yeah.

I loved Solitaire from the beginning. I couldn't wait to read about all the
Lily ☁️
3 1/2 stars
You can find my review here on my blog!

me: [hands out one- and two-star ratings to books everyone loves]
also me: [finally likes a book … its top reviews are mostly one and two star ratings]

“My name is Victoria Spring. I think you should know that I make up a lot of stuff in my head and then get sad about it. I like to sleep and I like to blog. I am going to die someday.” (I am Victoria, Victoria is me.)

🌈 buddy read with a golden soul
Romie
Just because someone smiles doesn’t mean that they’re happy.

This isn’t a book about happy people. I don’t even think this book was made for happy people, they would dislike it, say everything inside this book is utter bullshit. But it isn’t. It’s the absolute truth.

This book broke me, I think I’m reading it at the exact right moment in my life. 16-year-old me wouldn’t have liked it all that much, she would have sympathised with the characters, but she wouldn’t have understood them like 21-year-o
Jasmine
THIS REVIEW IS NOT FOR ANYONE WHO IS A FAN OF THE BOOK. I DON'T LIKE THE BOOK AND IF YOU LIKED IT, I EXPECT YOU WILL HATE THIS REVIEW, SO PLEASE DO NOT READ IT. I AM SO SICK OF GETTING HATE MESSAGES SO PLEASE JUST DO NOT READ IT IF YOU LIKED THE BOOK, FOR YOUR SAKE AND MINE.

I FINISHED IT!!
I ACTUALLY FINISHED THIS CRAP. FOUR DAYS WASTED JUST LIKE THAT.

Before I get into the review, I should mention that there was no trigger warning mentioned and that's not okay!!

SO TRIGGER WARNING: SELF HARM AND
Rebecca
Read this review and more on my blog

In a nutshell: Solitaire is the newest addition to my favourites list. It was such an engaging read with well-developed and realistic characters.

Solitaire first came to my attention - like a lot of readers - via Tumblr. I was scrolling on my dashboard when I saw a post about someone who was only just older than I was and her debut novel. From the beginning, I was really interested in this story and I admired the author so much. It was this, a pretty cover, an
✨    jamieson   ✨
I think this is one of those books you either love or hate the reviews seem very polarising - I'm not sure exactly where I sit yet. I know I did enjoy it overall, mostly because of the writing style. I love Alice Oseman's writing, it flows so well you just get so caught up in it and I think she writes teenagers incredibly well.

I didn't love this anywhere near as close as I loved Radio Silence, but also this is Alice's debut, and I think it's nice to see how much she's grown and improved.

I know
Lea (drumsofautumn)
I really wanted to write a very detailed, slightly objective review of this but honestly I'm realizing I just can't. I thought this book was super problematic so I'm just gonna word vomit.
FIRST OF ALL big ass trigger warnings for suicide/suicidal thoughts, self-harm and eating disorders. Pretty sure there's more so please be very aware and feel free to ask me if you want to know about any specific ones!

I know the main character is relatable for many and I hope that any of you who read this will
April (Aprilius Maximus)
TW: self-harm, suicidal thoughts, eating disorder triggers.

I had a lot of problems with this book, but since I am currently on holidays, I will go into more depth at a later date!
Alexandra ☁
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I read this in 3 days. I don't do that. It's a thing that doesn't happen.

Alice Oseman, we stan.
Ashley
Aug 28, 2014 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-arc, arc
Nose Graze — Book reviews & blogging tips

I stopped reading this book at 27%.

Let's talk about Solitaire

In the book, Solitaire is some kind of blog/prankster group. We learn pretty quickly that their blog URL is http://solitaire.co.uk . My first thought (which continued to bug me throughout the book) was: "There's no way this domain name would be available." I'm pretty sure every non-obscure dictionary word is taken at this point (at least with the original and most common TLDs, like .com, .
Ally
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nope.

description

I have a feeling I may just be way too worldly for this book. I mean, I'm old now. It's been a while since I was a teenager. But I guess my main beef with Solitaire is that, okay, sure its important for YA books to be relatable for the teenage audience it's aimed at, but that doesn't mean that it's okay for books to perpetuate harmful behaviours and attitudes and call it "brutally honest".

I know Alice Oseman was only what, seventeen when she wrote this. And, honestly? That's great. Howeve
Nina
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Book #5 for The Reading Rush: Read someone's debut novel.

I really, really enjoyed this one! It was such a quick and well-written read and I'm so glad I put it on my tbr for the readathon!

instagram || my blog || twitter
Emily May
I found the writing awkward and stilted. Couldn't finish.
Lauren ✨ (YABookers)
"There comes a point, though, when you can't keep looking after other people anymore. You have to start looking after yourself."

Solitaire is a refreshing and brutally honest realistic fiction written by a teenager (Alice Oseman is only nineteen) for teenagers so it's totally and utterly relatable.

You know what I loved the most about Solitaire? Tori. Whilst she's cynical, sarcastic and rather mentally troubled, she's real and it's great to read and see her develop and I loved every second of it.
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Thank you Andye from http://www.readingteen.net/ for your Review my Books program!

I quite honestly really really really enjoyed this book. Honestly. Solitaire was a major win.

Get it? XD

When the synopsis says it is "unflinchingly honest", it speaks the truth. Alice Oseman wrote a brilliant contemporary. Though I wouldn't expect anything else from a fellow 90s child. ;)
description

This book is hard to explain. I went into it knowing merely what it has printed on the cover, "This is the story of...Tori. Michae
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
1.5 STARS
To go into a book with no expectations and then come out disappointed is an impressive feat. But not a good one.
The writing may have been relateable but the protagonist was not. By the end of the book I honest to god couldn't stand her and it made what could have been an interesting book with powerful messages, painful to read.
Maddie
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ukya, stand-alones
Beautifully realistic and relatable. Alice Oseman is an author to watch.
Miriam
Just finished my first book for this week's Read-A-Thon with the Goodreads Inspired Read-A-Thon -group :)
________________________
3.5 stars!

I already read Alice Oseman's Radio Silence and really enjoyed it, so I decided to give her debut a try as well. I must admit that I liked Radio Silence more, but I take this as an evidence that she clearly has developed as an author.

What impresses me most about her books is clearly her writing style. I think she manages to capture a teenager's thoughts ver
Jackie
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i,, honestly don’t know what to think of this book?? it was so much different from what i thought it would be but i still mostly enjoyed it.

i’ll have to think about it a bit more and give it a rating later!!
Spencer
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

“I don’t want people to be worried about me. There’s nothing to worry about. I don’t want people to try and understand why I’m the way I am, because I should be the first person to understand that. And I don’t understand yet. I don’t want people to interfere. I don’t want people in my head, picking out this and that, permanently picking up the broken pieces of me.”

____________________________

Going into this book, I was very excited to read this. I love Marina and the Diamonds and this seems u
Lizzy Reads
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tori Spring is a self-claimed pessimist, she likes to blog and sleep. She hates school and she has a group of friends who she doesn't feel like she fits anymore. She finds everything to become harder all of sudden, her brother Charlie had really hard time last year with mental health and she has helped him to recover. All these things have made Tori distant to her friends and she doesn't really like school not to mention how much it stresses her out.
She meets a weird and mysterious boy called Mi
Swaye
Jan 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, books
If I could give this book minus stars I would.

There's no plot, just a list of references with a whole lot of diet lemonade to fill in the spaces between.

DNF'd at 51% because
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
I don't think I've ever related to a character more. The writing was so incredibly real. Loved it.
Kerri
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had so many mixed emotions and reactions to this book while reading it that I'm sort of unsure how to review it. I really disliked the first quarter, I only kept reading because I hate abandoning books-- but it was an uphill battle, and I found myself actively disliking so much of it. For a while there I thought this might be the first book I've ever given one star too, something I felt stupidly guilty about, since it is only my opinion, amongst a sea of Goodreads reviews.

I'm glad I stuck wit
Eloise
* 2019 TALK:
I'm not going to rant anymore around this book. Rereading it was actually more enjoyable than the first time reading it 3 years ago. I must have been in a bad mood cause Tory can actually be very relatable even though she's annoying. She's a true angsty and depressed teen.

WHAT I WILL TALK ABOUT: Is Alice Oseman.
Please please please go read all of Alice's other stories. They are beautiful, wholesome, heartfelt, have great rep of all kinds and depict teens in the most realistic way EV
Sophie
It's over, I'm done. That's about it. Review to come.

My relationship with this book was so much like my relationship with Perks of Being a Wallflower.: I severely disliked (borderline hated) it, whereas everyone else loved it. This book wasn't as painful as Perks (I mean I managed to read it within a couple of days, as compared to the few weeks Perks took), but every page I read just felt like a waste of time, and that I could have spent that time much better either reading other books or workin
Tom (T.J. Reads the Stars)
Where do I even begin...?

If nothing else, this book is testament to how far Alice Oseman has grown as a writer. I had reasonably low expectations, but even so, this book was such a massive disappointment. Although I enjoyed the writing, I thought that this book was poorly plotted, inconsistently paced, the main characters were severely under-developed, and the that the mental illness representation (depression and eating disorders) was extremely juvenile.

Such a massive shame, but I am so glad th
Lauren James
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ukya, lgbtqia
This book is one of the most honest I have ever read. The protagonist is an opinionated teenage girl, who hates Pride and Prejudice and doesn't like reading, yet studies English Lit. She spends her time blogging and doesn't really like her friends at school. When her school comes under attack by internet pranksters, she is pulled out of her comfort zone, and has to face up to real life. The writing is real and the emotions of the characters perfectly portray what it feels like as a teenager, to ...more

• Othergirl
  • Blue (Blue #1)
  • He's After Me
  • By Any Other Name
  • The Worst Girlfriend in the World
  • Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness
  • The Year of the Rat
  • A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Keep the Faith (Faith, #2)
  • Unboxed
  • Glimpse
  • Love Bomb (Ladybirds, #2)
  • Counting Stars
  • Memory: Stadt der Träume
  • Don't Touch
  • The Right Song
  • Lies I Told (Lies I Told, #1)
  • The Baby
Alice Oseman was born in 1994 in Kent, England. She completed a degree in English at Durham University in 2016 and is currently a full-time writer and illustrator. Alice can usually be found staring aimlessly at computer screens, questioning the meaninglessness of existence, or doing anything and everything to avoid getting an office job.

Alice's first book, SOLITAIRE, was published when she was ni
“But books–they’re different. When you watch a film, you’re sort of an outsider looking in. With a book–you’re right there. You are inside. You are the main character.” 148 likes
“As far as I'm concerned, I came out of the womb spouting cynicism and wishing for rain.” 62 likes