Start by marking “Working Effectively with Unit Tests” as Want to Read:
Working Effectively with Unit Tests

Read Excerpt

Working Effectively with Unit Tests

Available at http://wewut.com

Unit Testing has moved from fringe to mainstream, which is great. Unfortunately, developers are creating mountains of unmaintainable tests as a side effect. I've been fighting the maintenance battle pretty aggressively for years, and this book captures the what I believe is the most effective way to test.

This book details my strong opinions on
Published June 29th 2014 by leanpub

To ask other readers questions about Working Effectively with Unit Tests, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Working Effectively with Unit Tests

Gareth Jones
Jul 04, 2014 Gareth Jones rated it it was amazing
It says "read", but that would be an exaggeration. "Briefly tolerated its existence before setting it on fire" would be more accurate. It burnt remarkably well, 5 stars.
Timo Mihaljov
Jul 25, 2014 Timo Mihaljov rated it it was amazing
I wish every developer I work with had read this book (including the past me). It distills into a surprisingly short amount of pages many important lessons that I've learned the hard way over a number of years. For a beginning or intermediate unit tester this book is a must-read. The most experienced unit testers may not find much new in it, but even they can benefit from seeing unit testing from the author's unique point of view.

What sets this book apart is its hands-on approach. You're thrown
Eric Casteleijn
Dec 23, 2014 Eric Casteleijn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, enjoyable read. The focus of the book is how to improve ROI of your unit tests, and provides helpful suggestions to achieve this. There is no dogma here, nor anything revolutionary, but it's a solid addition to the testing literature.

If I have to list a downside, it's that all the examples are Java, and I wonder if some of the patterns are less valuable in other (say dynamic) languages. I would have loved to hear the author's thoughts on this, but it's a minor quibble, and I would still
Joe Walnes
Jul 10, 2014 Joe Walnes rated it it was amazing
This book is a breath of fresh air!

Things I really like:

* The evolution of a hairy test to something really clean is elegant.

* It skips the usual slow history and get straight to the point.

* I wish more people wrote tests like this. I see so many unit tests that make me sad due to over complicated abstractions that hamper readability. Having a book to point people at will really help.

* Doesn't get carried away with frameworks, DSLs and such, but mostly it's just really straight forward programmi
Jake McCrary
Jul 03, 2014 Jake McCrary rated it it was amazing
This is a book I plan on strongly recommending to other developers. Jay Fields presents his strategy for testing and his definition of a unit test. The book starts with some marginal unit tests and slowly improves them. I found myself feeling uncomfortable with the initial version of the tests and it was rewarding seeing the tests improve and having that uncomfortable feeling disappear.

Why do you write tests? What do you try to get out of testing? How do you make failing tests useful? By the tim
Marcus Ahnve
Dec 30, 2014 Marcus Ahnve rated it it was amazing
As someone who has done TDD for 10+ years, this book still taught me a few new things and made me reconsider how I like my tests setup. I really like the format of the book - by clearly addressing readers already experienced with testing Jay manages to keep the book short and information dense in a way I wish more technical writers would.
Johnny Graber
Jan 17, 2015 Johnny Graber rated it it was amazing
Jay Fields uses in Working Effectively with Unit Tests a different approach than most authors that write about TDD: How does test-driven development creates value? As a measurement to judge the different approaches he uses ROI (return on investment) and explains the different side-effects certain styles of tests have. This (at least for me) new way to look at TDD is refreshing and helps to stay away from code bases that are impossible to change after an endless amount of tests are written that n ...more
Vlad
Jun 11, 2016 Vlad rated it it was amazing
Great book. Jay did a great job of providing excellent examples and explanations behind why he is changing those tests. Another great thing about this book, that it's 330 pages but they are all about testing, and no history or other unrelated to testing material.
Bugzmanov
Jan 01, 2015 Bugzmanov rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
The book is very pragmatic and short. Pretty nice overviews dos and don'ts of unit testing. With excellent examples to prove the points. But I would recommend to read "Growing object oriented software guided by tests" by N. Price first
Barry
Dec 31, 2014 Barry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
Great book, but my only quibble is that using Java for the examples requires much more code for writing tests than in a more dynamic language. I definitely learned a lot about designing unit tests, useful in any language.
Jose  Seco Sanz
May 03, 2016 Jose Seco Sanz rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical
Meh. It's good. It's probably directed to people that have been using unit tests for a very long time and use them extensively, which is not my case. It does have good info, it's probably that I don't know enough to get all of this book.
Prahlad
Aug 23, 2016 Prahlad rated it really liked it
Amazingly crisp yet insightful.
Sandro Batista Santos
Sandro Batista Santos rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Graham
Graham rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2014
Noah Seger
Noah Seger rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Kalle Björklid
Kalle Björklid rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Fleshgrinder
Fleshgrinder rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Carl-eric
Carl-eric rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2014
Arjan
Arjan rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Daniel Nishi
Daniel Nishi rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Keith Solademi
Keith Solademi rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Kyle
Kyle rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Josh Graham
Josh Graham rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2014
Keith
Keith rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Alex Romine
Alex Romine rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2017
Gert Lombard
Gert Lombard rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2016
Szymon Fiedler
Szymon Fiedler rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Timothée B
Timothée B rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Rajesh Pitty
Rajesh Pitty rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Object Design: Roles, Responsibilities, and Collaborations
  • Understanding Computation: From Simple Machines to Impossible Programs
  • The Leprechauns of Software Engineering
  • The Nature of Software Development
  • Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
  • Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming
  • JavaScript Allongé: A strong cup of functions, objects, combinators, and decorators
  • Understanding the Four Rules of Simple Design
  • Agile!: The Good, the Hype and the Ugly
  • Explore It!: Reduce Risk and Increase Confidence with Exploratory Testing
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • Practical Object Oriented Design in Ruby
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Mindstorms: Children, Computers, And Powerful Ideas
  • The Art of the Metaobject Protocol
  • The Cucumber Book
  • Service-Oriented Design with Ruby and Rails
  • Object Thinking

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Jay Fields is a software developer at DRW Trading, conference speaker, and author. He has a passion for discovering and maturing innovative solutions. His most recent work has been in maturing software design through developer testing and software testing in general.
More about Jay Fields...

“I don’t like test names. Technically they’re method names, but they’re never called explicitly.” 0 likes
“Within a single test, DRY can often apply.” 0 likes