Start by marking “The Stranger” as Want to Read:
The Stranger

The Stranger

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  59,090 ratings  ·  4,814 reviews

Adam Price has a lot to lose: a comfortable marriage to a beautiful woman, two
Published March 24th 2015 by Dutton

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger, please sign up.
Anirban Bose Take up any of his books except for "Missing You" and you will see the master at work. My personal favorites would be Six Years, Tell No One and The…moreTake up any of his books except for "Missing You" and you will see the master at work. My personal favorites would be Six Years, Tell No One and The Woods (less)
Maureen If you have a local library, check to see if they offer ebooks through Overdrive. My local library system is very large and there was a short wait…moreIf you have a local library, check to see if they offer ebooks through Overdrive. My local library system is very large and there was a short wait time for the ebook. I, however, pre-ordered this one and it was worth every dime of the $10.99 I paid. Excellent read. Cheers! (less)

·  59,090 ratings  ·  4,814 reviews

Start your review of The Stranger
Patrice Hoffman
I am not ashamed to say that I am one of Harlan Coben's loyal fans. I love his fast-paced, all engrossing mystery suspense thrillers. He is my go to when I just want to forget about my crappy life and read about someone else's crappy life. These stories remind me how things could be so much worse. Coben has mastered the art of convincing people the ones we love the most just might not be who we think they are or they may harbor some type of secret that could shatter our lives and cause ...more
Sandra
Adam Price is married with two sons and is living a pretty good life in Cedarfield, New Jersey. One day a guy/stranger comes up to Adam in the American Legion Hall (where a meeting for his son's lacrosse team is being held) and tells Adam that his wife faked a pregnancy. Adam doesn't know what to make of what this stranger says. The stranger seems believable. Adam tries to ignore what this man said, but somehow, it has a ring of truth about it. After Adam confronts his wife about this she runs ...more
JEN A
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure here I decided to read this book after watching the Netflix series based on it. I really liked the series and thought Id have a go at the book. Not to spoil anything but the book and the series are very different with regards to some key elements. I found both to be very engaging and I look forward to reading more of this authors books. ...more
Kaceey
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of Harlan Coben. My favorite, like everyone else, is the Myron Bolitar series. Just the best! This one is a stand-alone suspense novel that fully delivers in true Coben style.

Can you keep a secret? Not if The Stranger is nearby....

There is a man, who refers to himself as The Stranger, traveling the country revealing everyone's darkest secrets. The consequences can destroy families.
The focus is on Adam and his wife Corinne. The stranger approaches Adam one evening to reveal a
Debra Gray
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I gave this book 2 stars for 2 reasons- 1, the author was Harlan Coben whom I love and 2, it kept me needing to finish it to find out how the ridiculous plot and storyline ended. It was like watching a train wreck-- you know you don't want to look, but you have to. This was by far the WORST Harlan Coben novel I have ever read -- and I finished it! The storyline was convoluted, the characters were unbelievable and the ending was so perfectly tied up it almost made the book a joke. However, I will ...more
The Burning Rose (Jess)
I just found out that theres a Netflix TV show based on this book, and I loved this book so much and I'm not sure whether to scream or cry 😭😭😭 ...more
Carol
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Hook - My number came up on the reserve list at the library and I thought Why not?

The Line Feeding teenage boys was like filling a bathtub with a grapefruit spoon.

The Sinker The Stranger appears out of nowhere, perhaps in a bar, or a parking lot, or at the grocery store. His identity is unknown. His motives are unclear. His information is undeniable. Then he whispers a few words in your ear and disappears, leaving you picking up the pieces of your shattered world.

If that isnt an intriguing
Diane
Apr 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This latest Harlan Coben novel is all about secrets: Who has them? Who reveals them? What happens when a dangerous secret is told?

Adam Price has a good life with his wife, Corinne, and their two sons in a wealthy New Jersey town. One day a stranger approaches him in a bar and says Corrine faked a pregnancy a few years earlier. The news devastates Adam. He investigates and confronts Corinne, who then disappears.

Meanwhile, we see the stranger approach others and share more devastating secrets.
James Thane
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Harlan Coben long ago cornered the market on the New Jersey Suburban Family Thriller sub-genre, which involves average, ordinary American folks--almost always wonderful people with great families--who are suddenly thrown into chaos and danger when some powerful negative force intrudes into their daily lives. Such is the case here.

Our protagonist is a New Jersey lawyer named Adam Price. He and his wife, Corinne, are living the American dream with excellent jobs, a very nice, comfortable home, and
Deanna
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it

Harlan Coben is a favorite author of mine. I was really looking forward to this book.
The book was even better than what I had hoped for!! I only started reading his books a year or so ago and I am so happy I found him.

I would suggest starting this book if you have a bit of time on your hands as it's very hard to put down once you start. Just when I thought I figured out where the plot was going I was surprised again. Fast-paced and easy to read but with fantastic twists and turns.

Michelle
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Theres no denying it, I am a Harlan Coben groupie, you would think by book 18 I would be getting tired of him. Nope, in fact I have to ration out his remaining books so I always have some in reserve.

I was rushed into reading this as far too many people were talking about the Netflix show and I was avoiding spoilers but it was no hardship. I enjoyed this, its follows the usual formula, plot driven, everything constantly being thrown on it head and you're in a daze until the reveal and you cant
Don
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Stranger, my first Harlan Coben book after hearing many good things and it will certainly not be the last 😀, interesting concept here about revealing secrets, and it didn't disappoint.

Adam Price is a man who is seemingly "living the dream", he has a beautiful wife Corrine, and two sons, and his life is good, until one evening when attending his sons lacrosse game, a complete stranger drops a complete bombshell on him, regards to his wife, which, after some digging around, he is convinced the
Barbara
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it

Adam Price, husband and father of two sons - Ryan and Thomas - attends the youth lacrosse team draft in his New Jersey town to make sure Thomas makes it onto the premier team.

Just before the draft begins a young man - who identifies himself as 'the stranger' - tells Adam that his wife Corinne faked her recent pregnancy and miscarriage.

Shocked, Adam finds proof and - when Corinne returns from a teacher conference in Atlantic City - confronts her. Corinne basically admits the deception and asks
Carolyn
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Harlan Coben has been one of my favorite mystery writers , but I was disappointed with this book. I understand I am in the minority here as most readers have rated it highly. I found the many supporting characters lacked sufficient development to make them interesting to me. Coben is the master of suspense and surprising twists, but thought it lacked character development. You may guess the direction it is going from the Gone Girl story, and you may be wrong.
Liz
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I am a big fan of Harlan Coben, so I was anxious to listen to this book. Now, the premise of this book is that a stranger shows up in town, tells you a secret about your family member and then disappears. And he does this over and over again. For example, Adam Price learns that his wife of 18 years faked a pregnancy two years previously. Ok, I can understand why he would be upset. But I had trouble with the idea that she would bother. I could have bought into it if she had done it to hook him
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
Hmm.. I mean you can never really go wrong with Harlan Coben, but this wasnt my favorite of his. Sometimes a book will just blow me out of the water, especially if the description did it no justice.. Unfortunately in this case I feel as though the opposite happened. I was really intrigued by the stranger element.. I had never read anything quite like it & immediately moved it right to the top of my tbr pile. But I just feel as though there were other main storylines that I just wasnt as ...more
Perry
Dec 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
"Well, Mr. Secret Revealer!!!! "

This quote from dialogue between a victim and the titular character bears repeating: "Well, Mr. Secret Revealer!!!! ."

This is not a line in a romantic comedy nor a line offering comic/satiric relief in an otherwise serious novel. No. Instead, and I am not joking, this line is a direct quote taken from serious dialogue in what was intended to be a suspenseful scene.

I acknowledge I'm partly to blame for my inability to overlook scat left floating in the pool of
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

4.5 Stars!

I have been a fan of Harlan Coben for a very long time. I have read almost every book that he has published and I have been lucky enough to meet him twice. I am always eager to get my hands on any new book that has his name on the cover. I realize that I expect a lot out of a Harlan Coben book. I not only expect not only to be entertained but to be completely sucked into the story having no idea what twists will happen next. This
Paula
Harlan Coben's thriller, The Stranger, is a terrific fast-paced book. Coben, a favorite author of mine, has come up with an interesting novel about web-based secrets.

Out of nowhere a "stranger" approaches Adam Price and tells him about a devastating secret that his wife, Corinne, has kept from him. Then all hell breaks loose. First his wife takes off and a lot of surprises follow. Interesting is all the characters in the book trying to maintain the "American Dream".

Although not Coben's best,
Janete
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jonetta
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

Someone, a stranger, approaches Adam Price and tells him something provocative about his wife, Corinne...a secret she's kept from him. And so begins a story of deception, mystery and conspiracies that escalate dangerously.

I was immediately drawn into this story, even though much of what we know about all the players is learned after the initial conflict. Determining who's lying, telling the truth or just being deceptive was made much more difficult until I
Lee
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wow another great book from Harlan Coben, if you are a fan of his this one will not let you down. We are taken straight into a world full of suspence, excitement and tension, just the way I like it. Great plot and characters that were well developed, you felt like you actually got to know them.
How would you react if you were sitting there, minding your own business, and then someone aka "The Stranger" sits down next to you and says something that will dramatically change your life and make you
Liz Barnsley
I am a fan, generally speaking, of this author. I havent loved EVERYTHING but for the most part I never fail to get a darned good yarn when I pick up a Harlan Coben novel I was especially fond of the Myron Bolitar series and his standalone books always have a gorgeously twisted centre to them, a mysterious edge that means you cannot help getting involved.

With The Stranger I was utterly hooked. I read it all yesterday, a one sitting read (well interspersed with real life stuff like feeding the
Linda
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Secrets....everybody has them. But there are those individuals who store past actions in a dusty locked box away from prying eyes. Feeling safe? Not necessarily.

The Stranger begins with a beckoning premise. What if someone is privy to that stored information? Just how far would the concentric circles from the thrown stone extend?

Harlan Coben presents the supposition of how safe is safe? Technology allows us access to gazillions of bits of information. Social media spreads nuggets of background
Cathrine ☯️
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: group-challenge
2.5★
Meh. Just too typical and over stocked with the all too common over-stretched ending.
In particular a main character is referred to as "The Stranger" which struck me as rather silly. I kept thinking of stranger danger and the shadow knows. Pretty much only read the dialog the last quarter of the book in a quest for closure. It left me feeling as lukewarm as this review and obviously outside of the pack with my rating.
Bren
I said everyone looks happy. That was kinda my point. If you judge the world by Facebook, you wonder why so many people take Prozac.
Harlan Coben, The Stranger

This was a DNF/skim to the ending for me.

I actually thought I would love this one. What a freaky subject matter! Some creepy stranger who knows everything about you and who can shatter your life with one whisper? What mystery lover would not love that?

But I didn't like it. It was not what I'd thought it was going to be. I pictured, I
Lisa
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
WHO IS THE STRANGER & WHY DOES HE TELL ADAM PRICE A DEVASTING SECRET ABOUT HIS WIFE?? that's what we want to know, I could not stop reading this book I think Harlan Coben is at the top of his game with this one his characters are strong & the plot outstanding I was gripped by every chapter the tension kept building up to a peak then bang were off again.

He is the master of the twist that you didn't see coming I think he is a very highly talented author that keeps up the pace.

What we have
Alafair Burke
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's impossible to say why THE STRANGER stands out as one of Harlan Coben's best works without giving away too much. So here's what I can say. It has all the trademark stuff that brings you back to his books: a good, decent guy (from Jersey, natch) whose world is turned upside down, dangerous secrets, plenty of nice twists provided by technology and the internet. But on top of familiar landscape, THE STRANGER lays down surprising and risky layers that pay off in spades, putting it right up there ...more
D.B. Woodling
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
3.25 Stars

Adam Price, attorney, has a beautiful wife, Corinne, and two sons (Thomas and Ryan) who excel on the Lacrosse field and off. He has a good thing going. Until he doesnt. The Stranger brings it all to a crashing end when he reveals Corinnes well-kept secret.

In this cat and mouse tale, Adams low-key reaction regarding his missing wife seems discordant, but, in the end, perhaps his lack of concern speaks to the crux of Corinnes deception. And, as is often the way with fanatics, The
Gary
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another great read by Harlan Coben. This outstanding stand alone novel is action packed and I felt the need to finish it in almost one sitting. I really enjoy the way he writes with a touch of humour and lots of action intermingled with twists and turns. A must read for his fans but I really do recommend his books to any mystery thriller reader.
J.D. Robb : The Stranger on Netflix 11 54 Mar 19, 2020 09:30AM
Around the Year i...: The Stranger, by Harlan Coben 2 33 Jun 09, 2016 08:02AM
Girlfriends Book ...: June read 2016 2 4 Jun 04, 2016 12:22PM
your thoughts 4 59 Apr 01, 2016 04:50PM
Crime, Mysteries ...: Stranger, The - September 2015 27 142 Oct 30, 2015 02:40PM

• The Wives
  • The Institute
  • Good Girls Lie
  • The Stranger: by Harlan Coben | Summary & Analysis
  • Pretty Girls
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Cobens last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award the first