Start by marking “The Forgetting Spell (Wishing Day #2)” as Want to Read:
The Forgetting Spell (Wishing Day #2)

The Forgetting Spell (Wishing Day #2)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  164 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Most people in Willow Hill think Darya is the prickliest of the Blok sisters. What they don’t realize is that on the inside, Darya is soft and gooey from feeling everything, all the time.

When Darya turns thirteen, the goo gets stickier—and as Darya’s Wishing Day approaches, all she wants is to forget the silly tradition ever existed.

Except...she can’t. Ten years ago, a wis
Published April 4th 2017 by Katherine Tegen Books

La La
May 09, 2017 rated it it was ok

Wow, this book was all over the place. I solidly liked the first book in the series, but this one... my head is swimming. One downside to the current push for diverse and issue related books is some authors try to cram too many different elements into the story, and it ends up being so brain twisting that the reader ends up gaining zero insight into any of the issues. Even more so with this title because it is supposed to be Middle Grade. Plus, there were a couple I felt were not MG sen
Tessa Chin
It was a heartwarming book, that brought me to tears at times. I fluently enjoyed this book
Navreen
Apr 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Lila Kims
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
WARNING: A bit spoilery, so proceed with caution!!!!

I'm surprised there are so many negative reviews for this book. I remember reading and enjoying the first book, "Wishing Day," but this one was just so... pretty. And I'm not talking about the cover (though the cover is GORGEOUS). I'm talking about the story.

So. We have Darya. In the first book, Darya is rather annoying, but in this book I liked her. She had many flaws, but she tried so hard to be selfless, and for those of us in real life who
Cheryl
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Darya has just turned 13 and can now follow a long-shared tradition of making 3 wishes at the Wishing Tree. A wish for an impossible, one they can make come true and the 3rd is their deepest, heart-felt desire. Her older sister, Natasha did hers last year, a younger, Ava, will next year. But Darya already has some magic working in her life. She had long ago asked the mysterious and quirky "Bird Lady" to help her perform a forgetting spell. It worked so well, that she doesn't remember doing it, b ...more
Corey
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Book Talk:

Do you remember your 13th birthday? Closing your eyes, making your wish, and blowing out your candles? What would happen if your wish actually came true? In The Forgetting Spell, this is exactly what happens to Darya on her Wishing Day. But Darya should be careful what she wishes for, because it just might change everything about her life.

My Thoughts:
This book was all over the place. In hindsight, I should probably have read #1 before reading this one, but I jumped right in. I was conf
Karen
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it
While Darya seems to be the prickliest of the Blok sisters, she is in reality the most sensitive. Her swirl of feeling is sometimes overwhelming and makes her appear to brush others off, or shut down. As her "Wishing Day" approaches, Darya is filled with anxiety about the power of wishes. Is it possible to wish a person close to you..."away?" If so...can one wish them back, even though it is unclear if that is a good idea. Darya's complex feelings are round her mother who disappeared when she wa ...more
Zoe W.
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Hm. Had very high hopes for this book, and it was definitely good. But it just didn't have that charm the Wishing Day had. And while I certainly feel bad for Darya's position, it seemed like a quarter of the book was her feeling sorry for herself. The last few chapters were super exciting, though. And I was stunned to see what wishes Darya made! Maybe there will a book with Ava. I hope so. Good book, just didn't quite live up to the expectation. The end was a bit annoying, by the way. So many lo ...more
Megan
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars

I loved this book. I really enjoyed how it started in a prologue. I like how there were flashbacks from in the past, and also how every part of the book was important.

Some parts of the book were a bit confusing. Halfway through the book, nothing had really happened.

In Wishing Day, the first book, Darya was shown as a sassy girl who didn't like to be messed around with, and in the second book, she wasn't. I didn't really understand that.

I would recommend the series to girls who like m
Gloria
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book it kept you wondering. You have a little girl whose mother left home and the girl isn't really sure why so as she grows she tries to make sense of it in her own way and then her mother comes back on her 13th birthday. It's also about magic or is it those who read it will have to draw their own conclusions,was it really magic or only that people fail to look up and see what's around them. I think anyone who likes a coming of age story with maybe a little magic thrown in w ...more
Brady
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My mom picked this book out for me from the library -- and we all know that could possibly mean I'd hate it... but this book was so intriguing!! I hadn't even read the first of the Wishing Day series, and yet every little aspect of the storyline came along. Of course, I expected much less of this book *no offense*, but it really surprised me. Praise to Lauren for this AMAZING book!

The only thing that disappointed me was that the third book wasn't released yet... but being a fellow writer, I und
Emy
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a nice read about the second sister Darya who turns 13 and has her Wishing Day. She is very emotional in the book, feeling anger, confusion and sadness, mostly because of she doesn't know what to wish for and because her mother isn't what she pictured.

If another book in this series comes out, I'm going to read it. I'm guessing there will be, about the last sister Ava, who is 12.
Vanessa Jones
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I just could not get properly into this book. It vaguely answers the left unfinished questions from the first book but only just. because it is written from the next sister's point of view, everything is different. I was confused a lot.
Plus, as a junior reader it uses a lot of rather large words that seemed were only there for a vocabulary lesson!
Clover White
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I almost didn't finish this book, because it was overdue at the library, but I'm so glad I did. Once I started reading it, I remembered being moved by the first book, as well. Can't wait to read the third book.
Maria
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
When I first looked at the blurb I though it would be a pretty good book, and don't get me wrong, it's not bad it just didn't hit home with me. It was more boring than I thought it would be, but don't get me wrong, it's not bad.
Cecilia Rodriguez
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Darya is becoming stressed out, as her Wishing Day approaches.
When her older sister, Natasha, tells her that their mother has returned,
Darya has mixed feelings about the revelation.
Myracle's plot addresses the issue of mental illness realistically
and with compassion.
Pam
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grades
The story of the middle sister, Darya, continues the plot lines developed in the first book. It's told from Darya's POV. As the book unfolds, we learn why she's so negative and moody. It all revolves around family - relationships and dynamics - with a little magic thrown in.
Wynne
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is kind of weird and confusing. Darya has temper problems, and is kind of selfish. She has FRIENDS though!!! I don't think she deserves friends. So weird.
Isabelle
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
It's very easy to forget that Ava is less than one year younger than Darya. She could easily be much younger.
Cher
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. More than I've enjoyed any in a while. I want the first one...now!
Sharon
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emily, childrens
Interesting trilogy but first book, The Wishing Day was much better....that said, we will still read book 3 for the tale of the youngest sister...
Joan
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
good, now have to find book three!
K.C
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was amazing! A great prequel. I hope there will be a 3rd book .
Anna Kotaska
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THE SECOND BEST BOOK EVER!! YOU SHOULD READ IT!!! IT IS THE BEST!!!
Karen Maurer
Just what I needed. I can still feel this confused and conflicted, several decades older than Darya. I have been feeling that way. Finding it so fully described helped me lift my mood.
Mary
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let the record show that Lauren Myracle used "turtles all the way down" before John Green! I am in awe of how this author intertwines fantasy and reality. Can't wait for Ava's book.
Skylar the wolf
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It took me one day to read this and I really wish it was longer!!! I loved it! sadly, the next one doesn't come out for a while.
Sharon
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars.. only read once, not sure why it says 3 times.. daughter had a difficult time connecting with Darya
Liss
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Der zweite Band der Wunschtag-Reihe geht genauso geheimnisvoll weiter wie der erste. Nun ist Darya an der Reihe. Die Geschichte wird nun weiter aus ihrer Perspektive erzählt. Sie wird nun auch dreizehn und erlebt ihren Wunschtag. Die Hinweise häufen sich, dass ihre Mutter doch noch lebt, womit ich ehrlich gesagt nicht gerechnet hätte. Nun dreht sich wieder vieles um das Verschwinden der Mutter. Warum ist sie weg? Wie kam er dazu? Wer war noch beteiligt?

So ganz langsam fügen sich alle Puzzleteile
Jamie
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just lovely.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lauren Myracle is the author of numerous young adult novels. She was born in 1969 in North Carolina. Lauren Myracle holds an MA in English from Colorado State University and an MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College. she has written many novels, including the famous IM books, ttyl, ttfn, and l8r, g8r.

Her first novel, Kissing Kate, was selected as one of ALA's "Best Books
More about Lauren Myracle

Wishing Day (3 books)
  • Wishing Day (Wishing Day #1)
  • The Backward Season (Wishing Day, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • The Great Glass Sea
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)