Start by marking “Zombies Calling” as Want to Read:
Zombies Calling

Zombies Calling

"Survival is usually ambiguous in a zombie movie, but we have the rules to protect us. We will survive."

Joss' life sucks. She's in the middle of university exams and student loan debt when she'd much rather be watching the zombie movies she loves. So it's no surprise that when she tells her roommates that she's been attacked by a swarm of real-life, brain-hungering
Published October 23rd 2012 by SLG Publishing (first published November 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Zombies Calling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zombies Calling

Start your review of Zombies Calling
Gretchen
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shaun of the Dead meets Scott Pilgrim for girls. This one rocks.
Dov Zeller
This was entertaining and charming in moments. Cute as far as zombie invasions go.

Two people into zombie flicks who have worked out a list of zombie movie rules (for example, one rule is that a not all that kick-ass mundane kind of person winds up all of a sudden being able to kick zombie ass as if they've been training for it all their lives) live with a third person who isn't into zombie movies and isn't as excited about the rules as they are. Before long narrator/protagonist, Joss, stumbles
Sesana
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, horror
I really like Faith Erin Hicks. And I'll be honest, I doubt that I ever would have read this particular book if I didn't already know that I really liked her. It wouldn't have been a great loss. Think of this book as a B-movie, and you'll be satisfied with what you get, because it very much reads like something that could follow Sharknado. That said, the plot is paper thin and the best part (using zombie movie rules to survive actual zombies) isn't given as much development as I'd like. Hicks ...more
David Schaafsma
I am a Faith Erin Hicks fan, and if this is the first you have heard her name, read her best (so far) (imho), Friends with Boys and Adventures of a Superhero Girl. Great drawing, great characters, and very funny. Humane and warm, likable chewy carmel center to it, at its best, yum.

Zombies Calling I think may be her first book, a college setting where roommates playfully lay out zombie rules (which is what this should have been titled, I think) for a skeptical roommate amidst discussions of
Lauren
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was a cute read!

I think it shows that this was Hicks's first published comic, whilst the illustrations were brilliant (I love how Hicks captures her character's expressions), I couldn't help but think that the storyline was weak in places and not a patch on the beautiful Friends With Boys.

There were a few funny moments, but again, not nearly as funny as the skits in Superhero Girl.

It wasn't a bad read but it wasn't a great read either. It was all pretty silly (which I do often love) but
Kelly
Another delightful Faith Erin Hicks' graphic novel, and I think this one was her first (?). Much like "The Adventures of Superhero Girl," "Zombies Calling" takes a tongue-in-cheek look at a classic genre.

The protagonists are three college roommates: Joss, Sonnet, and Robyn (who is male). Joss has a self-processed love of all things British and zombie films. I enjoyed the "rules" which Joss created from her extensive knowledge of zombie films, but they did remind a bit of the rules from the
Becky
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
This was an adorable, funny, and surprisingly dramatic zombie movie parody. To my surprise, at some point it also turned into a character-centric meditation on how how being an ordinary college student is actually scarier than any zombie attack.

A couple plot things could have been tweaked (one of the characters, Robyn, seemed to spend a lot of time standing around while the other two talked, and the ending was slightly cheesy), but I thought the pacing was excellent, which conceals many sins
Megan
Jun 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Zombies Calling is cute.

Things that are in comics and fiction by young authors all the time and are *usually* annoying - like, characters that are American but use lots of British slang terms, and characters with names that are ridiculous and trying to mark them as "cool" - are present here but with... explanation within the context of the story, that makes them more tolerable I guess.

Hick's drawing style is what I originally thought was impressive for someone's first work, but apparently
Dolly
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading graphic novels
Wonderful tale of zombies and a fascination for zombie movies and British culture. Set in Canada, this tale depicts friends who are caught up in a nightmare, but our hero is completely prepared with all of the rules of the game.

A fun combination of Shaun of the Dead and self-aware characters like in the movie Scream, this book will entertain young adults and adults who enjoy zombie tales.

The ending is quite bizarre. but to be expected given the nature of the plot. Overall, a fun summer read.
Steve Chaput
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun zombie spoof of a young, horror fan who finds herself and friends trapped by the sudden appearance of the undead. She couldn't be happier as she has prepared by watching zombie movies for years.

Written and drawn by Faith Erin Hicks.
Peter N. Trinh
Dec 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
A greatly amusing tribute to the zombie apocalypse phenomenon, it brings into light what everyone in today's young generations tend to think about: will zombies destroy us all in the end, and are we ready for it? In an almost metaphoric way of shattering the fourth wall to dust Joss, Robyn and Sonnet live the exact moment, putting the Rules to play and going for a comedically epic assault against the undead.

Being a fan of Hicks' webcomic Demonology 101, I had high expectations for her first
Carrie Wilson
I really enjoyed The War at Ellsmere, and I LOVE zombies (ew, no, not in that way!)so I thought I'd love Zombies Calling. I was disappointed--the characters weren't very well developed, the dialogue had a sitcom feel, the zombies weren't scary, and the ending was anti-climactic. I did think the reason behind the zombie outbreak was pretty funny and unexpected. What the evil professor said about college students was hilarious (and sometimes true)! The artwork was good, and this is what kept me ...more
Suzie
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Zombies Calling started on the internet, where I first encountered it, and was rewritten and completed for print when Hicks got herself a publication deal. It should've stayed where it was. The artwork is engaging, but the story is practically nonexistent and the characters are two-dimensional with one quirk apiece slapped onto them in an attempt to make things interesting. There is a single joke that carries the whole plot and it was done better the first time around.

Still, her Demonology 101
mary ❀
2 stars.

Well that was underwhelming.
I guess I understand that it was supposed to be more humorous and a play off of zombie movies, but frankly I thought it was boring. The dialogue seemed kind of random to me and everything happened quickly and ended just as quickly. The characters weren't really interesting. I felt like we didn't learn enough about them to actually care what happened to them.

The book wasn't terrible. I just didn't see the point to it.
Sam
May 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic book that is thoroughly entertaining and highly amusing. All the classic zombies rules are there with the added twist of the zombie source (it's not the usual one thats for sure) and there is plenty of detail in the illustrations to add to the depth of the characters without taking over the story itself. And of course the spork cover is fab!
Lisa
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Three sort-of-heroic college flatmates face both the undead and final exams, playing out familiar horror movie tropes. With an appropriately limited vocabulary (Yargh! Argh! Brains!), heavily outlined black-and-white drawings, and no ominous soundtrack, the zombie caricature is hilarious. A light and fun graphic novel, unless they're coming to eat your brains and you don't even have a spork.
Wendy

cute, quirky, charming and zombies. One of FEH earlier works, which is always harder to come back to after you've read the more refined later work of an artist.

She seems to always add a little bit of the fantastical in each of her books.
Jordan
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Zombies and student loans. Student loans are scarier.
Jack
Oct 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, comix
A wee bite-sized morsel. Of braaaaaaains
Emily
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fast, funny and not at all scary. I'd read more by this author.
Mike
Aug 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fun, fresh - an authentic voice in her characters, and nothing too contrived or phony. Good little zombie takeover.
Jggrnt1337
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a quick read, finished under roughly 30 mins.
It is a light-hearted, fun approach to telling the story of the early happenings during a Z-apocalypse. Doesn't raise questions, doesn't answer anything. The plot's simple and entertaining; you get through it, you smile at it, then you forget it.
Ian
May 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Mistakes trope literacy for storytelling.
Sara
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a cute/funny quick read! I love Faith's illustrations! There now needs to be another rule for Zombie movies: Always carry a spork.
Kristina
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Entertaining. I like the illustrations. Strange, cautionary tale of student loan debt. I thought that was funny & accurate. Ended too quickly.
Cheryl Washington
I actually really liked it, I actually liked it so much that I read it in less than 2 days which is saying a lot because I got it just before the library closed!!! must read morreee!!!
Rachel
Dec 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Anticlimactic! Too many plot holes. Thought it was going to be a rock band in a zombie world. Definitely not that at all, just college students who had no clue what they were doing.
Brendan
Dec 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Hicks crafts a delightful, silly little comic in which zombies rise up and come up against, Scream-style, an expert in zombie movies. Some thoughts:

* The shtick about the zombie rules is funny, but should have been a bit more played out. Two rules does not make a rule set.
* I would also have liked the movie they’re talking about at the beginning to be a real movie. At first it appears to be Return of the Living Dead, as the zombies are moaning “Brains!” and a character takes off her clothes.
Brittany
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Joss is stressed over exams and her debt from student loans. She wishes she could just move to England and watch zombie movies all day. The stress of exams is no match for what she finds in the hall one day though. ZOMBIES! In the flesh, rotting flesh that is. Now Joss has to take her knowledge (from movies) of the walking dead and put it to the test. Can Joss's rules save her and her friends? Or will they all be zombie food?

This comic was ridiculous. Really it was pure entertainment. There was
Nicola Mansfield
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reason for Reading: I was writing my review for Hicks' latest book "Friends With Boys" when I realized I only had one more book by the author left to read, her first one. So I put in a library request right away.

As I've said before Hicks has a certain style for people. One of the main female characters looks just like the main character in "War at Ellesmere" and "Friends with Boys". The male figure looks just like one of her brothers in "Friends with Boys". Of course this gives her work a
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • The Wendy Project
  • Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)
  • Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong
  • Brain Camp
  • Pumpkinheads
  • All Summer Long
  • The Avant-Guards, Vol. 1
  • Surviving the City (The Debwe Series)
  • Kiss Number 8
  • Schmerz
  • Janes in Love (Janes, #2)
  • Brave (Berrybrook Middle School, #2)
  • Hildafolk (Hilda, #1)
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 2
  • Tales from the Inner City
  • The Backstagers, Vol. 1: Rebels Without Applause
  • Demon, Volume 1
Born in the wilds of British Columbia, the young Faith frolicked among the Sasquatch native to the province before moving to Ontario at age five. There she was homeschooled with her three brothers, and developed an unnatural passion for galloping around on horseback, though never without a proper helmet (because you only get one skull). After twenty years of suffering through Ontario’s obscenely ...more