Start by marking “Writer to Writer: From Think to Ink” as Want to Read:
Writer to Writer: From Think to Ink

Writer to Writer: From Think to Ink

Bestselling author Gail Carson Levine shares her secrets of excellent writing in this lively book that is essential for all writers and aspiring writers!

Have you ever wanted to captivate readers with a great opening, create fantastical creatures, realize a dastardly villain, or make your characters leap off the page? If you answered yes to any of these questions, Gail Cars
Published December 23rd 2014 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Writer to Writer, please sign up.
Beth Schmelzer It appears to be for professional writers, but if you are a teen or above and you are practicing your writing, I say try it as a sample on your e-read…moreIt appears to be for professional writers, but if you are a teen or above and you are practicing your writing, I say try it as a sample on your e-reader! Then you will know your answer. I can guess from your smile that you are a perceptive reader and writer! I haven't read it yet, but I love her writing and I think all writers can benefit from accomplished ones. (less)
Kristie Raburn If you are looking for a friendly, down to earth book on writing, this is the one you need.

Start your review of Writer to Writer: From Think to Ink
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
lot of useful info & it did get me inspired to keep working on my novel-in-progress. But I was disappointed she never mentioned anything related to social justice, especially when she encouraged young writers to use physical character description to show personality & made a very heterosexist romance chapter. It was also quite skewed towards fantasy & realism, so those interested in other genres would do better to find another writing guide. ...more
Marie Tankersley
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful non-fiction! Great advice and an enjoyable read.

I would recommend this to a writer who is just dipping his or her toes into the sea that is creative writing. It mostly covers basic or beginner topics in writing. Nonetheless, it was an excellent reminder of what to keep in mind when writing in any form.

I wish I had picked this up a few months ago when I was really struggling with writing, since it seems to focus on the basics. I would still recommend this to any beginner or
T.E. Elliott
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't *completely* finish this, I skipped around, but I think it's a great book! It would be especially good for teens that have an interest in writing.
Alexa
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
FIRST THOUGHTS:

It's always interesting to read a book that offers advice on writing. I love the candidness with which Levine approaches her thoughts! This is a good book for younger readers, but even an older reader like me can learn a lot from this book. Plus, there are fun writing prompts too!

REVIEW:

(Originally posted on Alexa Loves Books)

Even though the process of writing is pretty subjective, it’s always helpful to learn from those with a bit of experience. This is why I picked up Writer to
Annie
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely intended for a precocious child-writer, or possibly an average teenage writer, or perhaps just a very dull adult.

But there’s a sweetness to it, to seeing GCL interact with her readers (the book is largely a response to questions posed to her blog about writing).

It’s an exceedingly wholesome book of the kind I find myself seeking out often these days, that gives my brain and my heart a wee break from the harshness of other places. It’s like having your favourite aunt, or your grandmot
Amber
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
How I feel about Writer to Writer varies from chapter to chapter, section to section. Gail Carson Levine has a lot of good advice and wisdom about this topic, and she presents it in a clear, concise manner. There are tips and tricks to learn from and be reminded of, regardless of how skilled of a writer you may be. In many ways, it’s a back to basics, but the book is definitely ago chose for beginners and anyone interested in reviewing fundamentals of writing.

Writer to Writer is Gail Carson Levi
Jenny
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 ⭐️

This is obviously a book written for kids and teens writing fiction. In that aspect, there's little an adult who has written for a while, or writes adult fiction or non-fiction, might learn.

Still, the prompts are enough to make one appreciate Gail Carson Levine's second book on writing. There are a lot of them, and - although they mainly focus on fantasy - they cover a wide range of styles. You're sure to find something to jog your brain a little when you've hit a rock in your regular writin
Aimee
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is SOOOOO helpful! It feels as though Miss Levine is actually teaching you a class on how to create better writing. And even if you're a great writer, her prompts are fun for practice or for starting a new idea! I definitely need to own this book.
Michelle
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book goes a bit deeper than Writing Magic by the same author. I liked this a little better since the language, while still aimed at younger aspiring writers, is less childish. There are even more prompts and writing exercises.
Libby Grossman
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I took several notes and even managed to get a good idea for a story or two. I skipped the poetry part because I'm not much of a poetry writer and don't plan on it. The rest of the book though was very helpful and insightful.
cmtan cmtan
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I believe that this might have helped me if I didn't already know the subjects the author was talking about....
Krystle
Jul 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a very good book for a writer that's young or a beginner and is just starting to get into the finer details of story construction, or for those who haven't yet had their work thoroughly critiqued yet. If you haven't had much opportunities or experiences than this is a good primer or foundation builder.

Gail Carson Levine gives her advice/suggestions in a very optimistic and whimsy sort of tone, so you always feel good about it. A lot of the discussions revolve around writing prompts and t
Khulud Khamis
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not sure if I would have picked up this book on my own. I received it as a gift. I'm always interested in reading about the struggles of fellow writers; as the process of writing is a solitary act, such books make me feel I belong to a community and that my own struggles are not unique to me.

This book was light to read, took me less that two days to finish it. It is divided into short chapters and the writing is clear. I think younger writers would benefit from this book the most. It abound
Jeanny Linh
I learned more about poetry than writing fiction itself, but I enjoyed knowing about the author's writing process and it has some amazing writing prompts!
Vee Ryder -- KotlcExclusive
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome! I finished it on January 12th, 2019, and it is the fourth of my one hundred books to read in 2019.

This book is basically a book about writing: how to do it, hpow to get better at it. There is a HUGE section on poetry, the one thing I did not love, so if that is one of your interests too, then this book would be perfect for you to read.

I think that Gail Carson Levine has some pretty great advice in here, and I adored how she referred to other authors and poets to back up
Jordan
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Elementary, Middle, and High School and beyond
Gail Carson Levine has done it again. I can't believe how talented she is. I have always loved her novels, and since I was in elementary school have kept "Writing Magic" in the back of my head as a favorite. It inspired me to start seriously writing and made me fall (further) in love with fantasy. In this edition, "Writer to Writer: From Think to Ink," Levine takes what she discussed in her first book a bit further, encouraging young writers to embrace real life events and to create characters t ...more
Kate Willis
I loved this book's chatty, insightful, and honest tone from the moment I opened it. I immediately felt kinship with the author when I discovered she was also a pantser--and a published one at that! This book didn't say "show don't tell" or "just write"; it gave encouragement and advice on how to show and what to do when you are too busy fussing over your story to progress or are completely inspiration dead. The poetry section wasn't my favorite, but it could be useful to a beginner in that fiel ...more
Kendall
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I read this book for two reasons. 1) I love Ella Enchanted and Levine holds a special place in my heart for that childhood memory and 2) I've always been interested in the reading/writing process.

This book is put together from Levine's blog on writing. I've never visited her website, and I found the information in the book to be useful and interesting even though I don't write. She is encouraging and makes the writing process sound fun and imaginative. She gives great writing prompts that I cou
Erica Lyn Burden
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's friendly enough to not feel like a lecture on creative writing and all the processes that go with it, but serious enough that you get some deep questions answered in lengthy detail: and it does all of this without being boring.

I grabbed this because I love books on writing and because my oldest daughter had read Ella Enchanted last year for school. I'm so glad that I did. Her blog, which the questions asked generally came from, is also amazing and full of great ideas to help get your inspi
Kathryn Wilmotte
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's been several years since I read Writing Magic, but I have fond memories of that book, particularly one prompt that was so vivid, it spawned an entirely new character and altered the course of a novel.

Now, knee-deep in Nanowrimo and a big fan of Levine's, I was bound to read Writer to Writer, which, from what I can remember of Writing Magic, carried a lot of that same humor and wholesome advice. The prompts here were not as fantasy oriented as in the first book--Levine is writing more her b
Rawan Manjal
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5, leaning towards a 3.75

I've had this book on my shelves for the longest time. When I was younger (lmao like 2-4 years younger. I'm still a little fetus), I loved to write fiction. I wrote a couple not so good short stories and published them on my blog (wouldn't recommend reading them, if I'm being honest.) I guess when I saw this book in the store that combined 1) blogging, and 2) writing fiction, I thought it would be perfect. Now 3-4 years later, I'm not as avid of a writer sadly, but I s
ashes ➷
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
So the queen made ANOTHER incredible writing advice book. I'm mixed on whether this was better or worse than Writing Magic, because overall it's so different! Would definitely recommend reading WM first and then coming here, because this one expands on many of the old concepts and adds even more.

As usual, I didn't feel compelled to use many of the prompts--just don't seem all that interesting to me. They do, of course, all run contemporary and middle-grade for a reason; just not my taste.

I'm m
Allessandra
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book for a newbie/amateur writer. This tackles so many topics of writing — from the typical elements (such as grammar, plot, character, etc.) to writerly ethics to poetry to even blogging. Because of this, the reader can get a lot of info at one go.

That said, the fact that this book tackles so many topics is also a downside because its range would only allow Levine to touch on the surface level of the topics. So, don’t expect this book to delve deep into the nitty gritty of
Coralie
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book about writing by one of my favorite authors? Um, YES PLEASE!!! Let's just put aside the fact that Mrs. Levine is an amazing author to begin with, and look at this nonfiction book specifically. Here, Levine presents commonly asked questions and answers from her personal experience as well as research. She gives us practical ways to apply practical advice to our own writing. AND, perhaps best of all, she gives you SOOOO much fodder for practice! So many crazy and cooky prompts to get your c ...more
Makylie
This book is about writing. Honestly this book is kind of mundane. It helps you learn great writing skills. I like the different techniques that this teaches. I want to keep reading just because it helps teach young writers.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes writing. it definitely helped my writing skills. I bet it will help yours. It also includes mini exerts about poems. I like that throughout the book you can do mini writing paragraphs.
I would definitely recommend this to reader
Jake Miller
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found some of these tips helpful to share with young writers, but some chapters seemed like a random area to focus on (e.g. the section on the pantuom poem). I also wasn’t as happy that a decent amount of chapters were for pretty specific genres, as I found myself less likely to pull them out to share with a class. But, overall a pretty good resource and I think there are some great tips and prompts to share.
Neil Szigethy
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
An entertaining "how to" book –really more of a reference/workbook than anything else. Dare I say that it's targeted far more for women than men? I did not finish it, mostly because the writing prompts were too numerous. This is one that I may buy at some point when I need that kind of inspiration. Recommended for writers who are stuck or having problems with their novels.
Sophie
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a teenager with an interest in writing, this was really helpful! It was easy to read but not too simple. (this is subjective though depending on how long you've been writing for)
I liked that the author used lots of examples when explaining the points because it made it easier to see how to implement the techniques.
Allisa White
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a great book! Levine's voice is funny and very down-to-earth, making it a great read for young and old writers alike. She had a lot of great advice and some awesome writing exercises that I'm excited to try out once I give this book another read!
Belinda
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the section on poetry, a nice change from the writing books I normally pick up.
The prompts are inspiring, and repeating "keep what you write" gives me that extra nudge I need. Lots of great tidbits, Thanks!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Young Beginner Wr...: Group Read 6 26 Jul 17, 2016 10:50AM

• Graceful (Willow Falls, #5)
  • The Last Present (Willow Falls, #4)
  • Spilling Ink: A Young Writer's Handbook
  • Beauty and the Beast: The Only One Who Didn't Run Away (Twice Upon a Time, #3)
  • 13 Gifts (Willow Falls, #3)
  • A Poetry Handbook
  • Criminal Destiny (Masterminds, #2)
  • Finally (Willow Falls, #2)
  • Payback (Masterminds, #3)
  • Voices of Poetry - Volume 1
  • Leap Day
  • Twenty and Ten
  • If I Had Your Face
  • The Great Trouble: A Mystery of London, the Blue Death, and a Boy Called Eel
  • Sleeping Beauty: The One Who Took the Really Long Nap (Twice Upon a Time, #2)
  • Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall
  • Pi in the Sky
  • I Will Judge You by Your Bookshelf
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for Yo