Start by marking “Reactive Design Patterns” as Want to Read:
Reactive Design Patterns

Reactive Design Patterns

Modern applications present incredible design challenges: we expect near-realtime performance while managing petabyte-scale data and distribution across environments ranging from traditional servers to cloud systems to mobile devices. The Reactive Application model addresses these demands through new patterns designed to "react" effectively to user and system events, ...more
Published March 28th 2014 by Manning Publications Co.

To ask other readers questions about Reactive Design Patterns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reactive Design Patterns

Start your review of Reactive Design Patterns
Tim Tulsky
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great tips for writing code. This is a keeper and should be reveiwed at least annually.
Sameer Rahmani
Oct 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
TL;DR
> I didn't like this book. If you're looking for a good book in almost the same topic checkout https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

In General didn't like this book. While the topic is great, the material was not that great. I expected more that this from the author. Basically this book is not about reactive design patters, it's about selling Akka.

Pros: The subject of the book is cool and quite popular.

Cons:
* By reading this book you're going to feel that actor model is the
Sebastian Gebski
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Remark: review based on MEAP version (v10) - all chapters present, needs some fine-tuning, pics & gaps filled.

I find a big difference between two underlying parts of this book: philosophy & patterns. While the first part is perfectly elaborated, understandable & written in a way that doesn't cause slightest objections, the patterns part (presumably far more important) is very uneven - some chapters are very rough (but to be honest - authors admit that in MEAP notes) & sometimes
Sergey Shishkin
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: this is a review of the MEAP v3 of the book with a big hope for improvement.

The book is not written in the patterns language (probably the missing 3rd will), which was unexpected to me given the title. It is very biased towards the Erlang's actor model being the one true way of building reactive systems. I found the first 151 pages (all available to date) to be a quite handwayvy and philosophical; the important ideas could've been delivered in 30-50% of the text.

Look forward to the
Stan
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: review based on MEAP v11, all chapters available.

This is one of those books that you either like or hate with a passion. The core concepts introduced in the book are described in great detail. The style of writing is mostly engaging. As the book progresses, the writing becomes more hectic. There is unequivocally a need to redo some of the chapters.

The code and examples are all written in Scala and utilise the Akka framework (despite what the book online description would have you
Miloš Milivojević
Not exactly sure where to put this one.

On one hand, the described patterns are nothing new and most of them have been around for quite a while and from that perspective I don't feel like the book brings much original content (unlike the classics that it's being compared to) or that I've gained significant insight or knowledge from reading it.

On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and seeing how all these patterns are viewed from the Actor model's perspective and how they'd be
Ovais Mohammad
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
It's an 'okay' book.
Quite verbose - in particular the first two parts - which could easily be comdensed into one chapter or two at max.
Last part where author covered the actual patterns was okay - still verbose to some extent but fine.
Writing style felt bit unmotivated and examples author used felt boring. Perhaps people new to these patterns may find the book useful.

Verbose but motivating writing like the book 'Designing Data Intensive applications' is far better than verbose and dull writing.
Eduardo
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: take-advice
Had a great time reading it.
The first part of the book is a "smooth" almost code free introduction to the reactive manifesto and to reactive applications.
As a newcommer to Reactive apps and reactive desing I think I have done the right decision by starting with this book. After reading the first part I know have a clear understanding (or at least the tools to start understanding) how to plan for a reactive app and why/when to do go for a reactive app.

I'll read through the patterns more as a
Mike
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book is good and informative, patterns are generally illustrated with Akka examples.
It covers the broad set topics and gives a decent ground for further explorations. I lacked some details in some chapters (say in Chapter 13 about replication challenges). There is a short interesting use case modelling in Appendix B.
Damien Buren
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Invaluable advcie and very well written.
Tim Verstraete
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book, although the intro was a bit long, the contents was really good and the examples / source code was OK ... I will use this book in the future for my work that is for sure ...
MANUEL R SOTO LAVARTE
I like the book where exposes 10 km hight level architectures and design patterns but next goes 10 feet hight in low level scala Akka implementation. It looks to be 2 different books.
Aleš Roubíček
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-background
Kniha zatím obsahuje jen první 3 kapitoly, které jsou i tak celkem obsáhlé. Reaktivní architektura je věc o kterou se zajímám již několik let a tak jsem si chtěl přečíst nějaký ucelený kousek na toto téma. A byla to poměrně dobrá volba. Autor je sice architektem Akka a tak často dochází k vychvalování Akky a Scaly, ale člověk to musí brát trochu s rezervou. Jde hlavně o architektonická řešení a postupy. technologie přicházejí a odcházejí a nejsou zas tak důležité...
Bugzmanov
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
based on meap10: the book lacks cohesion to some degree. hope they work on the stucture in further versions. I havent enjoyed out-of-touch isolation and bumpy leaps between 3 existing main parts.
Jonas Heylen

• Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale
  • Designing Data-Intensive Applications
  • Microservice Patterns
  • It's a Book
  • OCP: Oracle Certified Professional Java Se 8 Programmer II Study Guide: Exam 1Z0-809
  • Code Complete
  • SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #9)
  • Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
  • Software Architecture for Developers: Volume 1 - Technical leadership and the balance with agility
  • Learn CloudFormation: Write, deploy, and maintain your AWS infrastructure
  • Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
  • Get Programming with Haskell
  • Learning Java
  • Friction: The Untapped Force That Can Be Your Most Powerful Advantage
  • Sharing Sam (Love Stories For Young Adults, #2)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »