Start by marking “Outcast” as Want to Read:
Outcast

Outcast

(Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #4)

Filled with riveting adventure and heartrending scenes, Outcast is another thrilling story of friendship, survival, and the powerful need to belong.
Published June 1st 2008 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Outcast, please sign up.
Thia I would recommend starting the series from the first book if you can, as the main plot really starts in the first book. Starting with this book will…moreI would recommend starting the series from the first book if you can, as the main plot really starts in the first book. Starting with this book will be difficult, as you will not know who the Soul Eaters were and why they are so feared. It will definitely spoil the first three books for you, as everything is connected.(less)
Kenza365 I think it's awesome! I definitely recommend reading it and its series, The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness. Yes, in my opinion I think it's a good…moreI think it's awesome! I definitely recommend reading it and its series, The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness. Yes, in my opinion I think it's a good book. :)(less)

Leona  Carstairs
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this ever so much more on the reread. I never actually realized how deliciously creepy this book was. Soul sickness, possession, magecraft. All those three things make for a creepy but amazing middle grade novel.

THIS MIGHT BE MY FAVORITE FROM THE SERIES. So far at least. I'll have to wait and see what I think when I read 5 and 6. But this book was so goddamn awesome. Glad I reread it before going on to the 5th book.

Here's a concise list of brilliant things about this series: Wonderful w
Michael Finocchiaro
Yes! Michelle Paver does it again with this splendid entry in her Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. Torak is alone and soul sick and we wonder whether Seshru, the Soul Eater and Viper Mage will get the fire opal and conquer him or whether Bale and Renn will save him in time. And Wolf...
As always, we are spellbound with the vivid evocation of this world long ago and the wonder of discovery and friendship of the characters. There are painful revelations here as we pass the summit of the story
Maythavee
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This series just keeps getting better and better! Outcast was a non-stop thrilling adventure! I couldn’t put it down for one second.

Outcast really defined Torak and Renn’s character. I loved how we got to know more about Renn here. To be honest, Torak and Renn aren’t really that different from each other. Even though Renn lived with her clan, she is different from her clan because of her ability to do Magecraft. I just love the parallel between Torak and Renn. Also we got to see more of Bale! I
Alyssa
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tyler, 8yrs, said it was very dramatic and very good. He really likes this series.

Update 3/17/13 - my review:
Now I know what Tyler meant by dramatic. This book tore my heart out. It was so hard to watch Torak go through so many painful experiences - becoming an outcast and watching him suffer from soul-sickness. He begins to make choices that are against the laws of the Forest and clans. I found myself shocked and fearing for him. The pain that wolf feels as he is rebuffed by Torak and finding h
Liisa
I have found with series, the further you delve, the sooner you'll find a book that disappoints. Not so with the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness. "Outcast" is the fourth in the series and as captivating, well-written and engaging as the three previous books.

Michelle Paver's series was written for children but appeals to people of all ages. (I have been hooked since the first word in "Wolf Brother"!)

Whilst completely engaged in the story, heart-pounding as the circumstances Torak, Renn and Wolf of
Carrie
Jan 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"Outcast" was much darker and more chaotic than the rest of the books in this series so far. However, the outcasting posed an interesting problem that developed into an engaging, fast-moving plot. The dark and chaotic feeling of this book turned me off only a bit, but I think it's because of that (and that alone) I give it four stars instead of five. The thing with Seshru and Renn also annoyed me a bit... it just felt cliche, but it certainly did provide an interesting twist. I felt really bad f ...more
Peter
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Rejection
Torak's life-centred quest to defeat the Soul Eaters takes a devasting turn when he is branded with the Soul Eater mark on his chest. Like many secrets eventually they come out and when Torak's mark is discovered he is outcast by all the clans. The law of the outcast one is to be hunted and killed on sight and anyone disobeying the law will also be cast out.

Torak says of the Wolf clan "I may not be Wolf clan but I can do what you cannot do and talk to wolves". With that Torak and Wolf w
Amelia Jacobson
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, owned
I forgot how amazingly awesome this book is!!!!! *screams*
My sister is in the fandom now, she drew fanart (which is WAY better than mine) and she even used the quote: "A wolf cannot be of two packs" in real life! I'm so proud of her.

(Also, I've read this book 3 times, but Goodreads isn't letting me say that I have ;-; )
Jennie Louwes
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From start to finish a 5 star rating through and through. What a ride! Whew!

When the books in this series were first emerging I was a newlywed, charting three new courses at once: Wifedom, Motherhood, and the Wilds of Alaska. Overly preoccupied at the time I somehow managed to not see (or hear) of these books.

Late to the party but shouting from the rooftops now! "The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, a book series not to be missed!"

"Outcast", more than any of the other books (thus far) surprised
Briana Vallene
I feel like I should be enjoying this series more than I actually am. Everyone raves about the series, but I'm always slogging through the pages, trying to figure out why I'm not more invested in the story. Exciting things are happening, but I can't get myself to care. Maybe it's because of the nonstop barrage of suffering heaped on Torak. He never gets a break, but his misfortunes don't make me sympathize with him, they just feel excessive.

With each book that goes by, Torak annoys me more and
Amanda Northrup
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Although I read a lot of series, I find that I lose interest after just 2 or 3 books. Often the plot becomes predictable and the writing more haphazard. Not so with Michelle Paver's Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. Outcast is the fourth in the series and my favorite so far.

The story picks up right where Soul Eater left off without any annoying recap. Torak is quickly outcast from the clans because he bears the mark of the Soul Eaters. Being an outcast is worse than it sounds, by law anyo
Aaron Hong
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: december-2013
So here is the summary:

The characters in the story were the wolf pack themselves, Torak, Renn, and Wolf. The wolves had black hair cut to shoulder legnth, a fringe, tusks at their necks, and a stiff mantle. The other pack, The Willows had strips sewn in spirals in jenkins, black leaved tatoos, and a permanent frown. During to story, in the forest, there was Torak, who was separated from his best friend, Renn. They were both separated through the the agonizing journey of finding each other, and t
Viola Sung
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, beautiful. Had me captivated with a good mix of characters and combinations.

Iman
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this was the most emotional book of the series so far. I might have shed a tear a few times.
The story's still as captivating and doesn't let down. Everything falls into place, and it's one of those series where you feel like the author knew where it was going from the beginning and you wonder how they knew to leave these little details that would come in handy later.
It's full of plot twists too! Renn's secret? I think that was the most shocking twist so far.
Renn's character keeps being
Ryan Patrick
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Big Pete
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outcast follows Soul Eater, and is as dark as its predecessor.
Picking up two months later, Torak's Soul-Eater tattoo is discovered during a brawl, and he is outcast by the clans, his only allies Renn and his Seal-Clan cousin Bale.
Out of all the novels, it's the most painful to read. Both Torak and Renn go through the meat-grinder in this one, physically and psychologically.
I preferred Soul Eater to this one, probably because Outcast is so tragic a read. Alone, without Wolf, and becoming sicke
Lala
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I am your pack, Torak said."

Paver does it again. These books are really quite incredible and I absolutely love them. I cannot wait to read the last two in the series. I have been taking my time with these and they are just so enjoyable. Torak, Wolf, Renn and Bale make up this adventure…and an adventure it is! The growing relationship between Torak and Renn is starting to make me nuts haha…but I'm loving it, I'm hopeful Paver will continue to develop these two. This time we find Torak being Outc
Sinta Nisfuanna
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasi
Torak menjadi buangan ketika tato pemakan arwah yang dipasang paksa diketahui para pemimpin klan. Hidup menyendiri, bahkan tanpa Serigala, membuat roh Torak sakit. Dukun Klan Ular, Sessru, salah satu pemakan arwah, adalah sosok dibalik kegilaan Torak. Usaha Sessru memanfaatkan kemampuan klanaroh Torak demi membunuh Renn ternyata memiliki rahasia terselubung. Selain itu, Sessru juga ingin mendapatkan batu Baiduri terakhir yang ternyata selama ini tanpa sadar berada di dekat Torak.

Sedih baca seri
Kais
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Titler: Outcast

Author: Michelle Paver

Genre: Historical fiction/fantasy

Rating: *****

With the mark of the Soul Eaters imprinted on his chest. Torak, is made an outcast by the Raven Clan and must fend for himself. Struggling to survive and fight of the soul-sickness Torak and Wolf journey through the forest to prove his innocence. With all the clans, that vow to hunt Torak down and kill him, will Torak and the help of with of his best friends Renn and Bale later on in the book, succeed in vanquishi
CekMoNSter
Outcast.
I think this might be one of my favourite book in the series.
Throughout my reading, I had been surprised more than once by the sudden twist created by the author.
All of it were unpredictable.
The story continue as Torak was being stamped as one of the soul eaters,to the mark embedded on his skin over the past few months.
As a result of this, he was forced to hide for his life.His chance to show the true him was a bit slim as he was appeared to be clanless as his father didn`t really abide
Cheryl Landmark
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth book in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series and, although its premise is much darker and heart-wrenching than the previous three, I still found it to be exceptionally well-written and engaging. Torak is outcast and falls prey to the soul sickness. He is mercilessly hunted by the other clans and forced to elude them while at the same time trying to find the Soul Eaters. Ms. Paver's descriptions of his struggles to survive are so vivid and stark, you can feel his pain and ...more
Amanda
Just when I was beginning to think that I read every twist Ms.Paver had she came out with this. I was pleased by this book- it wasn’t too sad or bittersweet...I actually found myself relaxed and appeased by the end. even throughout the book the entire feeling was an exciting mystery that kept me reading until I finished...you are pulled into the book because it is so well written that you find yourself empathizing with each and every character in one way or another (for the sake of not spoiling ...more
Sri
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, serial
Semakin cinta sama Serigala. Kenapa yak selama ini banyak buku anak-anak yang menempatkan serigala sebagai karakter antagonis. Klo menurut buku ini sih, Serigala itu pintar, setia, anggun dan kadang kala lugu he he he... namanya juga binatang, tetep aja kalah ama manusia. Setiap baca serial ini, aku jadi pengin bisa ngobrol ama serigala. Tapi untuk itu masak aku harus jadi anak serigala dulu, wew!

Secara keseluruhan, ceritanya seru. Sayang, pengungkapan fakta soal Renn kok kurang bikin "HAH?" git
Steve
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MP certainly has a unique and endearing style to her writings and she brings her work to life in the pages.

I listened to the series on audiobook and i enjoyed all of them. I would recommend listening to them, if you have only read the book.
hannah (faerystories)
This is such an unbelievably good book, and definitely my favourite in the series.
Scorch
AMAZING! Such a plot twist! definitely didn't see it coming.
Emma Larsson
Brittney Tyler
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a fun read!!!!
Shelves: personal-library
Star Rating: 3.5 stars

Note: This is the 4th book in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series so this will not be an in-depth review.

In an effort to read all of my personally owned books in order to make Goodreads an active representation of my reading, I recently finished Outcast by Michelle Paver and I have to say that although it was a quick and exciting read, I did not enjoy it near as much as I have enjoyed some of the others in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. This book is set 6
Merry Yana
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-in-2018
Kasian sama Torak di buku keempat ini . Outcast , buku ke empat dari Serial Chronicles of Ancient Darkness yang memukau ini , berhasil buat aku prihatin sama kehidupan Torak . Kali ini Torak hanya sendirian , benar-benar sendiri ! Bisa gak dibayangin kalau tidak ada siapapun di sisi kita selama hidup . Torak dengan terpaksa harus berpisah dari Renn sahabatnya dan Serigala , Saudara Sekawannya.
Dan mirisnya lagi, dalam kesendirian Torak , ia diburu salah satu Pemangsa Arwah 😣 . Pahit banget hid
Accalia Honiahaka Garm
I had forgotten how much I liked these books!
Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I haven't been able to read in a while, or the feelings this book takes up - but I don't like them! I LOVE them!
I lost count of how many times I started crying, because even though it's a completely different time people still experience the same feelings and some of the same fears.
The series is set to the Stone Age, and the humans live WITH nature and paint a very good picture of what that is about. T
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Shamer's Signet (The Shamer Chronicles, #2)
  • Garden of the Purple Dragon (Dragon Keeper, #2)
  • Star Dancer (Star Dancer Quartet #1)
  • Wabi: A Hero's Tale
  • The Wizard's Promise (Doomspell, #3)
  • Prince of Pirates (Sebastian Darke, #2)
  • Wolf at the Window (Animal Ark Hauntings, #7)
  • The Sky Village (Kaimira, #1)
  • Blade of Fire (The Icemark Chronicles, #2)
  • Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness (Moribito, #2)
  • Rogue's Home (Knight and Rogue, #2)
  • Yu Yu Hakusho, Volume 19
  • Going to Ground (The Shapeshifter, #3)
  • Dead Guy Spy (Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie, #2)
  • Porteur de masques (Amos Daragon #1)
  • High Wire (Edgar & Ellen, #5)
  • Secrets of the Wolves (Wolf Chronicles, #2)
Michelle Paver was born in Central Africa, but came to England as a child. After gaining a degree in Biochemistry from Oxford University, she became a partner in a City law firm, but eventually gave that up to write full-time.

The hugely successful Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series arose from Michelle's lifelong passion for animals, anthropology and the distant past - as as well as an encounter

Chronicles of Ancient Darkness (6 books)
  • Wolf Brother (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #1)
  • Spirit Walker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness #2)
  • Soul Eater (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #3)
  • Oath Breaker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #5)
  • Ghost Hunter (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #6)
“Hij is mijn vriend. Ik móét het proberen. - Renn” 0 likes
“En de uitgestotene? Spannen ze met hem samen?'
'Nee,' mompelde het meisje. 'Maar ze zijn wel met hem verbonden. Hij door het bot, zij door het hart.”
0 likes