Start by marking “Faithless (Grant County, #5)” as Want to Read:
Faithless (Grant County, #5)

Faithless

(Grant County #5)

The victim was buried alive in the Georgia woods–then killed in a horrifying fashion. When Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver stumble upon the body, both become consumed with finding out who killed the pretty young woman. For them, a harrowing journey begins, one that will test their own turbulent relationship and draw dozens of life into the case.

For as Jeffrey and Sara m
Published July 25th 2006 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Faithless, please sign up.
Jamie You can. The author does a great job not revealing any "bad guys" from previous books but there are some character developments that you might not…moreYou can. The author does a great job not revealing any "bad guys" from previous books but there are some character developments that you might not understand fully without reading in order. You will have no trouble enjoying the book though.(less)

Matthew
This has been my least favorite of the Grant County series so far. It just didn't really click with me. I think a good way to describe it for me would be drawn out and repetitive. Also, this has been the most confused I have been so far when reading a Slaughter book.

Slaughter continues the trend of shocking subject matter and brutal descriptions. Her books are not for the faint of heart or queasy of stomach. Also, there are some potential triggers in this one - the biggest one being abortion. If
Beverly
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jonetta
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffrey and Sara are walking through the woods near her home when they stumbled upon a pipe coming up from underneath the ground. What lay beneath was heartbreaking, leading them into an investigation of a family who seems to have plenty of secrets. They're also leaders of a religious lifestyle that appears cult like.

This was a disturbing story that also explores the subject of domestic abuse. The investigation took some interesting turns, even though the field of suspects was narrow. Typical o
Mo
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another roller coaster. Sometimes hard to keep track of all the characters.

With each book, Jeffrey and Sara are growing on me. I love that they are not the perfect couple. They argue. Her parents are great too. Lena, I don't know if she will ever have a Happy Ever After.

Some parts of this book were quite heartbreaking. Terri, my heart bled for her.

Off to review the last in the series!!
Paula Kalin
This is the first I've read of any Karin Slaughter books. Quite a few GR friends are reading her thrillers so when I saw this audio book at the library I grabbed it on a whim. Faithless is #5 in the series about victims getting buried alive with a religious twist. I realized as I listened to the book that a lot had happened in the previous 4 books in the series that I should have read first.

I like the main characters, Sara and Jeffrey. There are so many characters, however, that it's hard to kee
Hollis
I'm drawing a blank on how to express myself over this one. It was really long, and I'm annoyed that we get no real definite resolution over this installment's Big Bad (though it is somewhat implied), and honestly the third star is because of Lena's actions right at the end and how happy it made Jeffrey. Because it made me happy, too.

Vague review is short and vague.
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Karin Slaughter, and I really love this series!
Debra
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jeffrey's sins of the past come back to stir up trouble between him and Sara. AS they walk around a lake and discuss their recent lack of intimacy, Jeffrey trips on something. As it turns out that something is sadly a young women in a box that had been buried in the ground. She has not been dead for long and Sara and Jeffery quickly start investigating her murder.

This book has many twist and turns which lead them to a secluded religious group that takes in runaways and parolees to work on their
Melissa
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
It may have taken we awhile to finish this book, but that had nothing to do with the story. Although the story line was disturbing, I enjoyed the telling of it. Sara and Jeffrey have an amazing relationship. They have been through so much and yet continue to stick together. This book centered around a sort of church cult and it makes you wonder about the non-fiction churches out there. The treatment the girls endured was awful. I was able to determine who the "bad guy" was long before Sara and J ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Faithless is an excellent police procedural novel, but what really makes it stand out is the author's way of perfectly capturing Georgia's scenery and southern mood among the crime and suspense.
Kate
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 stars! I LOVE THIS SERIES! Once again Karin Slaughter starts off with a bang in Faithless and I couldn’t stop until I was done.

I was happy we got to see Sara and Jeffrey’s relationship progress in this one. Another thing that I would like to note is how close Nan and Lena have become. I think watching their relationship form and grow has been great. They both loved Sybil and to see them living together and becoming friends I think has been really great.

I also would like to say how much I thi
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I love this series, this book was just a bit off for me. I didn't feel the usual closeness to the characters. Looking forward to the rest of the Grant county books.
Brenda H
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Faithless, the 5th book in the Grant County series by Karin Slaughter, is centered around Jeffrey Tolliver, the County Sheriff and Sara Linton, the County’s ME and local pediatrician (as well as Jeffrey’s ex-wife and current lover).

Jeffrey and Sara are out walking in the woods when Jeffrey gives Sara shocking news. Feeling betrayed, the upset Sara takes off at a fast pace toward home. While trying to catch up to Sara, Jeffrey trips over a pipe in the ground….The pipe leads to a victim who had be
Donna
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
This book by Karin Slaughter might be my favorite one so far. I've read quite a few of her books and even a novella or two. Her books are often heavy on violence towards women. This book also possessed that same thread. But I feel that was balanced by everything else. It didn't feel like the often abused 'shock and awe' trick I dislike. There were a few different threads woven into the plot and I liked that. She also does a great job with her characters. Not only are they well drawn, but they al ...more
Robert
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Like James Lee Burke, Karin Slaughter delivers novels where the separation between good and bad involves a fine line, and it’s not always easy to see, even if it’s drawn on the pavement in red crayon. The relationship between Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver makes FAITHLESS an entertaining read, and the deft, clever plotting makes it even better. This novel proved a hard one to put down, and despite reading several other novels at the time, I just had to keep reading. Reaching the end, though, w ...more
Asheley
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 - This rating does not include the audiobook, which I am not rating at this time. I have some thoughts about that at the bottom of this review if you are interested.
_

I feel a little bit mixed up after Faithless. On the one hand, Faithless is not my favorite in the series in terms of crimes and police procedure. But it isn’t my least favorite either. On the other hand: THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED FROM SARA AND JEFFREY AND EVEN LENA! So this is my reason for a 4.5/5 rating - I would rate t
Freda Malone
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Once again, Chief Jeff Tolliver, Sara Linton, and Lena Adams are in the mayhem of a murder. They stumble upon a young girl, buried alive, but she didn't die that way. In the midst of the solve, there is a corporate church family that has secrets that make you cringe and then rage at the senselessness of it all. It'll make your own domestic squabbles look tame in comparison to this family.

For the life of me I can't understand Lena, the cop who has had so many traumatic experiences that she conti
Marnie  Krüger
A few of my friends read this series before me and kind of spoiled the last two books for me - no hard feelings.

Now it just takes me twice as long to finish them as it originally would.

Karin still is one of the most brilliant writers out there!

I think I'll just take a bit of a break before I read the last book of the Grant County series, in the hope that I will forget the spoilers!

Ahmad Ardalan
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fast paced thriller set in a small county. For a 500 page mystery, this will engage you from start to finish.
Heather
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another enjoyable mystery in this series! I have already read the Will Trent series, and I am dreading what comes next!
Mónica BQ
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fav-series
4.5 stars rounded up

Finally, after the disaster I felt the last book was, here we get back on track with superb writing and plot from Slaughter.
I loved the way the crime developed. Each POV was different, important and entertaining. I was enthralled with the mystery. I was biased and prejudiced and I kind of liked how I was proved wrong when it came to who the murderer was. I'm not completely on board with the development of the personal relationships, same as before, and I have a slight worry f
Kirsten #EnoughIsEnough
Another great thriller with Sara Linton and Jeffrey Tolliver. They are a great couple. These are not soft thrillers - there is a lot of grit to them. A lot of hard truths. This one deals with fundamentalism and abuse of teenagers.

Jeffrey and Sara are having trouble again and Lena is still taking the low road through life. But even with that, these thrillers are meaty!
Chris
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continue to read more and more of Karin Slaughter’s books and for the most part I really enjoy them. Sadly the last few Grant County books have just been ok and that includes this one. The premise of the book was intriguing, and I had higher expectations since I was not overly impressed with the last one. I figured every writer has their ok book but had hoped that this one would blow me away.

I think what really keeps me coming back to this series is the characters. I really enjoy the ups and
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
4.5 stars - Slaughter never fails to keep me on the edge of my seat, heart racing, turning pages as fast as I can read. Pay attention to details - every word, sentence, paragraph - all should be scrutinized in a Slaughter book, as they all inevitably prove to be important later. And navigate the twists & turns with care...you never know what surprise this author will have waiting on the next page...but you can be sure there will be at least a couple of shockers. Loved it! A Page Burner!
Amanda McGill
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2018
For full review - The Limit of Books Does Not Exist

I’m so sad that I only have 1 book left in the Grant County series. However, it is nice to know that the characters (Sara, Jeffrey and Lena) in the Grant County will appearance in the Will Trent series (Slaughter’s other series).

There are lots of murders in this small town in Georgia. In this novel, a young woman is discovered murdered in the woods and Sara (medical examiner and local pediatrician) and Jeffrey (police chief) have to start from g
Elena
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-series
As expected, so good! Love these characters.
 Marla
Another interesting tale of violence and perversion. This time we examine relationships, adultery, abortion, abuse, drugs and religion.

Likes:
* Sara's Aunt Bella was a flamboyant and informative character
(view spoiler)
Bex
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Dr. Sara Linton and Police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver are carrying a lot of emotional baggage. These ex-spouses work together in solving crimes--mostly gory, brutal, unspeakable crimes. The latest is a young girl found buried, presumably, alive. There's a pipe protruding from her burial place which should have provided air, but an autopsy reveals that the young girl who happens to be a member of a religious cult did not suffocate but was killed by cyanide, which was poured down the breathing tube.

F
Becky ♡The Bookworm♡
Karin Slaughter writes some of the most powerful and heart-stopping Crime Thrillers out there. This one had me in tears near the end. I'm always hooked from the start and intrigued by the different characters. It amazes me how she weaves the story. One minute I'm furious with a character and the next minute I'm pulling for their happiness! Not many authors can change my mind when I've decided a character is the pits. Slaughter did. She also gives new meaning to the word "villain." These aren't y ...more
Alex is The Romance Fox
Faithless, the 5th book in Karin Slaughter's Grant County Series brings back the small town medical examiner, Dr Sara Linton and ex husband Grant County chief of police, in a complex and gripping tale of murder, religious cults, family abuse, secrets and a remorseless killer that keeps your guessing until the very end.

This series is gritty with flawed and interesting characters that are very well developed. The small town settings are vividly written - I would feel the menace and danger swirling

• Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • Die For Me (Romantic Suspense, #7; Daniel Vartanian, #1)
  • The Rosary Girls (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #1)
  • Evil at Heart (Archie Sheridan & Gretchen Lowell, #3)
  • The Next Accident (Quincy & Rainie, #3)
  • In The Dark (Jonathan Stride, #4)
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her nineteen novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated COP TOWN and the instant NEW YORK TIMES bestselling novels PRETTY GIRLS, THE GOOD DAUGHTER, and PIECES OF HER. Her most recent book, THE LAS ...more

Grant County (6 books)
  • Blindsighted (Grant County, #1)
  • Kisscut (Grant County, #2)
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
“Kantor’s Andersonville,” she said, adding, “It’s a first edition.” 0 likes
“Nice to have an option,” Sara mumbled. Cathy had practically poked her girls with a stick. “What” 0 likes