Start by marking “Elasticsearch: The Definitive Guide: A Distributed Real-Time Search and Analytics Engine” as Want to Read:

Whether you need full-text search or real-time analytics of structured data--or both--the Elasticsearch distributed search engine is an ideal way to put your data to work. This practical guide not only shows you how to search, analyze, and explore data with Elasticsearch, but also helps you deal with the complexities of human language, geolocation, and relationships.

If you
Published February 14th 2015 by O'Reilly Media (first published November 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Elasticsearch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elasticsearch

Start your review of Elasticsearch: The Definitive Guide: A Distributed Real-Time Search and Analytics Engine
Andrew Rimmer
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, on a great subject. Cannot remember the last time I enjoyed reading a technical book from cover to cover.
Anton Antonov
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
A great introduction not just on ElasticSearch, but on modern Search Engines in general. There's a good separation of content into 3 parts.
First one introducing ES and how it works. Also chapters are having 'labels' if they're required to be read if you want to know how to work with ES. These chapters are mostly inside ES chapters that I personally deemed necessary to read. You can't fully utilize ES without knowing the insides. And after all you'll learn how Search Engines operate by doing so!
Michael Koltsov
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I would not recommend this book as a one-weekend read I can definitely say that the book is one of the most convenient, well-written and detailed technical books dedicated to one particular technology I’ve ever seen.

You can start small, read a couple of first chapters and you’d be good to go using it everyday without any problems at all. But if you’ll dedicate a bit more time into reading it and executing tons of examples that come with it you’ll become a die-hard Elasticsearch profess
Kit
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: databases
"Elasticsearch: The Definitive Guide" is probably the best technical book I have ever read. As was mentioned in reviews, it is a great introduction to search engines in general, not just ElasticSearch.

The book is well-structured, it explains every aspect clearly, has a handful of practical examples and most likely will answer all of your "But what if..." questions. Just by reading a few chapters you will be able to easily use ElasticSearch for basic search. The more you read, the deeper your und
Andrei Balici
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: software
Must read for any serious engineer working with ES

Although outdated, still a very relevant resource. The book is easily readable with lots of examples, helping you get from zero to production in a couple of days.
Raymond Pairan
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written and easily comprehended by just about any technologist.
The Viet Nguyen
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I happen to have an Early Release version of this book but it still is a very comprehensive guide to Elasticsearch. I am sure that the final release is even better.
Naing Lin
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite being It was published in 4 or 5 years ago, it still readable for most parts. if you want to learn about Elasticsearch in very details manner such technical knowhow, configuration examples and a light and gentle introduction to Information retrieval, this book is for you. I know some of us are very impatience to finish a long book will go to tutorials and start crafting stuffs otherwise. But I would still recommend the book and Elasticsearch documentation if you want to avoid many trials ...more
Oleksii Zuiev
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good one. Takes you from the basics to advanced concepts. Everything is well explained.

The only drawback I see is that it covers an outdated version of ElasticSearch - 2.4. And new editions are not likely to happen. Still can be useful if you are starting with ElasticSearch.

Beware that the printed version is even more outdated (1.8) and ElasticSearch provides free access electronic version.

Filip Tepper
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loads of information on indexing and searching. I wish there was more on the operational side of things.
DavidFernandesIT
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"The book could easily be retitled as 'Understanding search engines using Elasticsearch.' Great job. Way beyond just simply using Elasticsearch." - Ivan Brusic
DANIEL
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a good book, but you'll not learn so much new concepts further than if you read the official Elasticsearch online documentation. (https://www.elastic.co/guide/index.html). ...more
Ahmed
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: search
Very good book and covers a lot of under the hood, but is a targeting a very old version.
Mihai Cosareanu
May 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good book to understand the internals of Elasticsearch and how to use it in your applications
Amrullah Zunzunia
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devops
This is a must have if you are using or even planning to use elasticsearch!
Arun Mahendrakar
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm new to ES and wanted to get a feel for the topic. I chose this book after seeing the table of contents - it felt like it covered many topics from basics to production deployment.

As a big software book, this one covers quite a few of its features - inside of a shard, various search-abilities, human language, administration and deployment - are all explained at length. This book is a great way to start for beginners like me and also will serve as a comprehensive guide for experienced professio
Moses
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Probably the best Elasticsearch book worth ready in 2014/15. That said Elasticsearch has evolve so fast that any physical book written is almost immediately full of outdated content and concepts. I will strongly recommend the official online documentations instead, but not until you've read this as a start.
mpi
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book definitely deserves its title. It is more than complete. It is not only comprehensive guide to Elasticsearch API and features but also a great source of knowledge on architecture of distributed, highly scalable applicataions like Elasticsearch. You will learn a lot about techniques and approaches to full-text search and document relevance scoring algorithms. Authors not only describe how something works but also WHY it works this way.

Moreover, book is very easy to read thanks to very
Jānis Peisenieks
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Even though this is one of the best product guides I've read, the constant flux nature of the particular software means that there a couple of inaccuracies in the book. All in all, gives a good insight into search, but requires a more thorough going over the code examples, especially in the script_score section

Also, worth mentioning, that this was written when the book was not yet finished, and was a part of the guide on elasticsearch.com
Paul Hummer
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
It's weird rating tech books. I had a specific need, and reading this book fulfilled that need. It's a very dense book, and I probably could've used a more tutorial/story/objective-driven example in the book, but following along with the book gave me the information that I need.

This is one of the few tech books I've ever read cover-to-cover, and mostly so that I could honestly put it in my Goodreads "Read" list.
Alex Ott
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book on Elasticsearch. Besides introduction of main Elasticsearch's features, it covers also many relevant areas, including Geo-search, selection/customization of analyzers, etc. Chapter about putting ES into production, with DO/DON'T DO list could be very helpful for many people who starting to use ES.
Kawai
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, geek
An excellent, comprehensive reference of the product.

If it's lacking anything, it would be sufficiently complex examples for some of the more advanced applications of elasticsearch; review quizzes/practical exercises would also be helpful.

Great reference for long-term use of the language, although not perhaps the best way to learn elasticsearch from scratch.
Angel
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good book, but perhaps a bit heavy on the side of the process of querying data and light on general recommendations for deploying a server, such as when to scale or what a "good" server configuration looks like (hardware).
Patrick Mézard
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best technical book I have ever read. Nicely written, straight to the point, good examples and not limited to Elasticsearch itself. Recommended to anyone interested in full-text search in general.
Thomas
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: by-men, tech, read-in-2016
A well-written and extremely thorough guide to ElasticSearch. Does a great job not just being a cookbook or reference guide, but helps the reader build a sound conceptual model of how ES internals work and when to make various tradeoffs in indexing and querying documents.
Karthic Viswanathan
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: technical-books
Great start with a good background on what problems it can solve. Excellent book for both: beginners who'd want a peek on its capabilities and engineers who would want to do production quality search. All in all a great read!
David Robillard
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: it
All you ever wanted to know about this product.
Ernestas Poskus
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Could be more detailed, lacked information about aggregations
Daniel
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: devel
This is almost a reference book, but it tells a story, which is unusual for this kind of book.
Van Huy

• Spark: The Definitive Guide: Big Data Processing Made Simple
  • Kafka: The Definitive Guide: Real-Time Data and Stream Processing at Scale
  • Cassandra: The Definitive Guide
  • Kubernetes: Up & Running
  • The Art of Invisibility: The World's Most Famous Hacker Teaches You How to Be Safe in the Age of Big Brother and Big Data
  • The Craving Mind: From Cigarettes to Smartphones to Love – Why We Get Hooked and How We Can Break Bad Habits
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • Prosper!: How to Prepare for the Future and Create a World Worth Inheriting
  • Implementing Domain-Driven Design
  • Redis Essentials: Harness the power of Redis to integrate and manage your projects efficiently
  • Professional Cloud Architect – Google Cloud Certification Guide: A handy guide to designing, developing, and managing enterprise-grade GCP cloud solutions
  • What's New in Java 7?
  • SOA Patterns
  • Learning Node.js: A Hands-On Guide to Building Web Applications in JavaScript
  • Specification by Example: How Successful Teams Deliver the Right Software
  • Core Java, Volume II--Advanced Features

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »