Start by marking “Smart” as Want to Read:
Smart

Smart

There's been a murder, but the police don't care.
It was only a homeless old man after all.

Kieran cares. He's going to find out what really happened.
But being a detective is difficult when you're Kieran Woods. When you're amazing at drawing but terrible at fitting in. And when there are dangerous secrets everywhere - not just outside, but under your own roof.
Published June 5th 2014 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Smart, please sign up.
Shelly I just finished this and I would say a mature year 5 could handle it, but I wouldn't go any younger. There is no bad language in the book as Kieren…moreI just finished this and I would say a mature year 5 could handle it, but I wouldn't go any younger. There is no bad language in the book as Kieren 'bleeps' it all out, but it is implied. The domestic violence situation is pretty horrible, but not too graphic. And the step dad is a drug dealer so there are drug references. As Kieren is quite innocent, you see everything through his viewpoint. (less)
GamerGirl12 SATS here in England mean a test you take when you are 11. I haven't read the book, but seeing this comment I know that this must have been written by…moreSATS here in England mean a test you take when you are 11. I haven't read the book, but seeing this comment I know that this must have been written by someone English. If he did his SATS last year, he would be Year 7 (google will know what grade that is).(less)

- ̗̀meg ̖́-
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this read as I had high hopes for it and it really wasn't anything special. The characters weren't very well written and the plot didn't appeal to me at all. It kinda seemed like a knock-off version of The Incident of The Dog in The Night-Time. Overall it definitely wasn't a good book for me.
Renita D'Silva
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
The kids and I loved this wonderful book. A great story, Keiran's voice is brilliant, his determination to uncover the truth admirable. Loved it.
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 4.5 Stars

Source: was sent in exchange for an honest review from the publisher via NetGalley

I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would.
It was just so interesting in so many ways.
Kieran is just one of those main protagonists that you fall in love with.
Although he doesn't outright say that he has autism - and when Kieran says he's special and has a teaching assistant helping him that no one else does - it's what we assume as a reader.
I think this is what makes the book sp
Sheelalipi  Sahana
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it.
Even though it's for younger readers, it didn't really matter because the story was gripping.
There were some sad moments when I couldn't help but tear up a little but there was happiness too.
Kieran is one smart, talented kid.
Kim Slater created a wonderful mystery in about two hundred pages.
I went into it not knowing much and am glad I enjoyed it.
Hymerka
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-library
"Розумник" Кім Слейтер — наче рідне дитя знаменитого "Дивного випадку із собакою вночі". І хоча книжка симпатична, через цю надмірну подібність видається дещо вторинною. Якщо обирати між Слейтер і Геддоном, я раджу Геддона. А ще я вважаю, що ця книга для дорослих.

Molly
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review also available on my blog!

Buy from The Book Depository.

Hi guys!

Before I actually review this book can I just say, ABSOLUTE COVER LOVE. WOW. When Macmillan contacted me, there wasn’t much info on the press release so I said yes mainly because I wanted this fabulous cover on my shelf. Here are a few pictures I took of my copy:

description

Okay back to the review. So the blurb did not give much away about this book apart from a teenager trying to solve the murder of a homeless man. I was expecting a run
Shoa Khan
This book was like a splitting image of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time!
Nonetheless, I really enjoyed reading it!
Review to follow.
EmilyPollard
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the interesting and exciting plot. I would definitely recommend this detective book to others of all ages.
16AldenM
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little difficult to get into however at the end I was completely immersed in the story. The story is fun and shows real problems in the modern day. It’s not too hard to read and I would recommend.
Juno
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book as it was written very well although the ending could have been a bit longer. It was a sad book but in the end turned out happy!
Probably one of the best books I've ever read!
Юлія Павленко
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Письменниця Кім Слейтер живе в Ноттінгемі, як і її герой. Мабуть, Ноттінгем відомий, у першу чергу, завдяки Робін Гуду. Після «Розумника» Кім Слейтер Ноттінгем став також містом Кірана. Ноттінгем для Кірана – як Нью-Йорк для Холдена Колфілда. Не маючи можливість отримати тепло (в прямому і переносному смислах) дома, в родині – тхоча причини цього у хлопців все ж різняться – вони мандрують містом. Кірана також хвилюють качки, як і героя Селінджера. І хоча настрій твору Кім Слейтер нагадує «Ловця ...more
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, please can we just appreciate the pure beauty of this cover!
The cover was the first thing that caught my attention and as I read the blurb I realised that this was the kind of book I’ve always had a soft spot for and a book that I couldn’t wait to read. The lovely Jessica from Pan sent a copy my way and I started reading as soon as I had it in my hands!
Smart tells the story of a boy, Kieran, who is an outcast – someone who isn’t with the ‘in’ crowd and prefers to spend his time drawin
Katy Noyes
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it

There's been a lot of fiction lately jumping on the autistic (and other disorders) bandwagon, some more successfully than others. Personally, I enjoy this kind of narrator, it's why I love fiction so much - climbing into the shoes and views of someone different to me.

And I can enjoy it if it's well done which this is. There are similarities to The Curious Incident in the Night-time, as the narrator seems to be autistic (though he is never outright called this) and also because the plot
Declan
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A convincing view of an anxiety-ridden world from the inside of an autistic, and artistic, boys head. The precision of his thinking and note-taking is in severe contrast to the chaotic society in which he lives. The authenticity of the voice and of the vision never falters, indeed every detail adds to our understanding of a world which we can instinctively understand, but which Kieran, the narrator, struggles to comprehend. It is no surprise then that he should befriend two people who, like him, ...more
✯ Victoria ✯
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, library
Rachael
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a lovely book. You can't help but cheer for the main character Kieran as he tries to solve the many mysteries in life. Kieran must be somewhere on the autistic spectrum, his thought process evolves throughout the book as he sees what's right and wrong. He has a very logical mind as he problem solves the mysteries and I love how he relates everything to CSI - it taught him well. This book deals with issues of domestic abuse, bullying and homelessness, it's very well paced with lots of action ...more
Alex Peachman
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is a bit like "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" by Mark Haddon because although it is not explicitly stated, the narrator is somewhere on the autistic spectrum. It is a gripping story, but it is also very interesting about the way people think, and how to think differently to solve a problem.
15HillG
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a book I was able to finish quickly as it was some of my favourite genres. There were lots of clues so as the reader you can imagine the story too. It was quick paced and had a good structure all the way through the book.
It was not written like some of Sarah’s other books but was still enjoyable to read
Demi
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Similar in plot to the curious incident of the dog in the night time. It doesn't say why is wrong with Kerian but i assume it was something simple to autism. I liked how he solved the murder because he was basically just a nosey kid. I also liked that he spoke to all different types of people and knew about their pasts even if they were homeless. A brilliant book and I really felt sorry for the boy. I liked that it was set in Nottingham as I lived there for three years and knew where it was set ...more
Marj
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
'Smart' is a murder mystery-detective story, the main protaganist being an autistic boy, Kieran. More than just 'a junior version of The Dog in the Night time', along the way we see inside an abusive home with a spotlight on issues such as homelessness, drug dealing, animal abuse and domestic violence.
It's not gratuitive stuff; rather Kieran's mother is too weak to protect him, the scenarios too real in some homes. As I read today's paper, (an all too often occurrence), the front page displays
Nataliia
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5!! Наконец-то что-то стоящее и цепляющее
15watkinsc
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I really liked reading Smart, as it was a really intriguing and interesting book to read. It really kept you in suspence to find out whappened was going to happen next. Also, I thought the ending was quite good the way everything all tied together and was resolved but I think that it would of been even better if the story carried on or the ending had more detail in it. Overall, I really liked reading it and I thought it was good that it brought up real life issues about how homeless people are n ...more
Anushka Shinde
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think that this book was great and had a very interesting storyline. Smart is an addictive book and I would definitely recommend it!
msBookLand
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book I thought it was sweet! I loved the characters and thought they were totally relatable.
The only thin was the ending was a bit abrupt, so It could of been longer!

It was a good read and a great book
Moonlight
*Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

DNF

This was one of my most anticipated reads when I first heard about it, and then it was on NetGalley and I clicked the request button so quickly. I was so excited to read a new murder mystery for Young Adults, but I didn't finish it. I just could not. I got to one hundred pages and could read no more. This was initially a cover love, so detailed and intricate this beautiful cover highlights the mystery behind this novel.

Kieren is a y
Graine Milner
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I treated myself to a re-read of this, as it is our whole school read and it's a while since I last read it. I think I enjoyed it even more this time! This book is funny and moving and has a great mystery and characters you care about. I enjoyed her second book just as much, and hope there's not too long a wait until she has a new book out.
Robin Stevens
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The joy of this book is not just in working out whodunit (though it's a well-plotted and well-resolved mystery) but in watching Kieran grow as a character and as a detective as the mystery he discovers moves closer and closer to home. Offbeat and unexpectedly touching, this is a great (and very different) crime read.
HWEE
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, dnf
Excuse me? This was supposed to a crime-mystery-detective book right? Even in its obvious simple writing and targeting-at-kids/middle grade style, the story didn't progress at all.

Argh so frustrating
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-reads
Asiya
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
Brilliant! Review up next week.
  • Kid Got Shot  (The Garvie Smith Mysteries #2)
  • The Worst Girlfriend in the World
  • An English Boy in New York (Boys Don't Knit, #2)
  • Cooper Bartholomew Is Dead
  • Head of the River
  • The Devil in the Corner
  • The Child's Elephant
  • The Madness
  • Dead Silent (Poppy Sinclair, #2)
  • Sleuth on Skates
  • The Dark Inside
  • The Templar Concordat
  • The Castle
  • Alexander Altmann A10567
  • Fire Colour One
  • The Road to Winter (Winter, #1)
  • Dandelion Clocks
  • Silent Saturday (Forbidden Spaces, #1)
Librarian Note: Kim Slater is a pen name of K.L. Slater, at which site biographical information may be found.