Start by marking “Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves” as Want to Read:

(Fables #8)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  17,120 Ratings  ·  564 Reviews
Winner of Fourteen Eisner Awards

Into the woods.
The community of Fables living undercover in our midst has endured plenty of suffering at the hands of their longtime antagonist, the Adversary. Now it's time to return the favor and put the would-be conqueror on notice that the cost of subjugating this last stronghold of magic will be higher than he can bear. The one Fable wh
Paperback, Trade, 160 pages
Published December 20th 2006 by Vertigo (first published December 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fables, Vol. 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fables, Vol. 8

Stephanie
Aldi
Joy
"If you do fall through, you'll have a long time to regret listening to me on the way down."

FINALLY it's Bigby's time to shine, and I absolutely loved every bit of it!

Mowgli's story was great. I liked how he really had to push his limits to find Bigby and that it took a lot more than just a bit of expert tracking to catch up to him. Overall, a pretty interesting transition into Bigby's story.

Now, Bigby's story was simply amazing. Immediately he gets to show off how pro he is at basically everyth
Bry
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite installments to date. The plot was great, seeing the growth of the wolf cubs was adorable, and the resolution of Snow and Bigby's storyline great.

A great part about this collection was that the original script for issue #50 (The Wedding Chapter) was included complete with snarky remarks and hilarious comparisons. This was my favorite! (Note: I am not marking this review as a spoiler since it says in the table of contents what happens in the end.)

"Same Scene: They kiss. This
Punk
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
Graphic Novel. Book 8 in the Fables series follows Bigby on a secret mission, gives us his schmaltzy reunion with Snow, and then we go on another secret mission, this time with Cinderella. It also includes the script to Fables #50.

I just wasn't that impressed with this volume. The first stories were kind of all over the place, a lot of "ONE DAY LATER" and "MEANWHILE, BACK ON THE FARM" so that I was getting whiplash from one page to the next. The Snow/Bigby reunion lacked the emotional impact it
Ungelic_is_us
The more Fables I read, the more annoyed I get with the misogyny. I'm sorry, if someone accepted my proposal with "You defeated me. You win," I'd have to say, "No thanks, babe, obviously you are not as enthusiastic as I am." Bonus for using the patriarchal traditional wedding vows with Snow, a woman who's already supposedly learned what a s****y deal traditional marriage can be from one a**hole husband--can you really see her vowing to "obey" another? And the "Israel Analogy" or whatever the hel ...more
James DeSantis
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
So yeah, Fables continues to be pretty boss. I guess the first few volumes didn't click with me but the last 3 sure have.

So this is mostly about getting Bigsby to come back to the farm. However, he can't do that because he's banned. If you don't remember he might have huffed and puffed and blown down some pig's houses and killed red riding hood. So when he comes back to fabletown he goes on a secret mission to help push the winning war for fabletown against the evils! Also there's a wedding. Oh
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This volume of Fables is definitely for readers who have been following Bigby Wolf and Snow White's romance. I think that it was very satisfying overall. I do have to agree with one of my fellow GRs friends/reviewers that Willingham committed the cardinal sin of an estranged couple, and that did bother me. I couldn't not give this five stars though because it was overall very well done.

I have always been enamored with werewolf stories. I tend to shy away from the gratuitously violent gorefests,
Rizwan
Other than that out-of-the-blue, out-of-the-place distasteful (too me at least) Israeli analogy - which was a huge turn off and almost took me right out of the story - this one was another great volume in farther progressing the Fables world and mythology just like the previous ones. A BIG decisive blow to the dreaded adversary from the Fables community as a payback for that Battle of the Fabletown, which will likely be the stepping point in declaration for an all out open war between Fabletown ...more
Melissa
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
I really do like Bigby. That character is one of the main reasons that I keep reading Fables. I even like the Bigby/Snow romance. But I'm really really sick of watching a formerly interesting female character become a glorified babysitter once she gives birth, only to emerge to broker deals between the men in her family. Also, I really, really could have done without the sappy wedding business. Ick.
Jonathan Terrington

Fables: Wolves is the book where Bigby returns and this lifts everything to another level. I've mentioned before that this series has the strength of being incredibly versatile in what genres it moves between. This book captures on that versatility and expands the series. A solution to Bigby's issues is found, a war is potentially stopped in the Fablelands and Cinderella goes on an important mission up a beanstalk.

I have very little to add to the general idea conveyed of the series in my other p
Robin
Jun 16, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comicbook
Compared to previous volumes, this one was kind of a let down. There's less than usual in the way of actual content (30 pages of filler in the back). And I know I'm touchy, but I was really unhappy that Snow vowed to "obey" Bigby. Totally out of character, in my opinion, and annoying besides. Hopefully the series will pick back up with the next book.
Marie the Librarian
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Urgh that wedding was perfect!! Finallyyyyyy! Also Cinderella is badass
توفيق عبد الرحيم
well i dont have much time to read these days but this was an amazing volume
we got to see 2 fable town spies at work
first we seen mowgli looking for bigby
and then we found fabletown's special agent bigby at work what about that ? lets make him a special agent for impossible missions only
and then we saw bigby and snowhite get married which was incredibly great
and finally we got a taste of what Cinderella can do
and now we cant help it but read Cinderella And jack of fables someday i think they w
Jay
I think I might take a little break from Fable here.

I'm really not happy with how the Snow White/Bigby relationship was handled throughout the series - and to me that was the only thing holding up the story at this point. The first volume of this series was amazing, but I felt that the quality dropped with each release. I lost interest in the story as there were too many characters, too many jumps in time/place, too many mini plotlines that didn't go anywhere significant.

Based on other people's
Natalie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bigby comes back. Special shoutout to Mowgli for dragging his butt back.
Bigby and Snow get married.
I know some people are worked up about the way this pans out, but this falls most perfectly into my young fairy tale lovin' heart. I'll admit it; I swooned a bit.

5 Stars
Angela Oliver
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The kids are so cute. This was quite a sweet issue.
Cathy
Apparently Fables really, really believe in God. It was mentioned four times just on one page in the big finale scenes. Seemed a bit odd with all of them coming from so many different kingdoms and religion not really being mentioned before, and this sudden Israel analogy being made very clear. We'll see how it gets carried out, or not.

But that's just a comment, not a review. Overall it was a good story that combined bringing one fan favorite story to culmination in a believable way that I'm sure
Wealhtheow
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Mowgli continues his search for Bigby through Russia and the wilderness. Meanwhile, Snow White tries to raise the cubs at the Farm.

(view spoiler)
Jill
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So I'm continuing on with Fables even though I'm not adding the books to my shelves per se...but anyway omg this volume. Snow & Bigby. Get out of my freaking life you're too much for the universe

I am so happy graphic novels/comics are in my life now ahhhh
Bookishrealm
Another great volume. I think my goal is to read the entire series as well as the spin off series this year.
Wing Kee
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Can't say no tone Bigby story. This character is complex and interesting. I can't say enough about the art and also the dialog. Great stuff.
Mia
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Bigby and Snow are finally back! Easily my favourite storyline.
Linton Newton
May 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
The conclusion to a plotline that I really wanted. The way of going about that was rushed, badly put together and ultimately non-sensical. It truly is unfortunate as the previous volumes with this plot handled it so well.

The Israel equivalent was goddamn awful. If anything the situation is reversed, a militant large nation (with a proxy small nation) fighting and conquering those who are native to the country.

The level of dumb writing hopefully is fully epitomized in this work and disappears fo
Michelle (Crazy Cat Lady)
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed
I'm actually getting kind of bored now. The dialogue is mostly useless banter, and there doesn't seem to be a cohesive plot taking place; are they trying to go back home (because it doesn't seem like they're doing that much to accomplish their goal)? If not, what's the real motivation behind this story?

Snow's kids were interesting at first, but seeing her be the perfect mother to perfect children while being perfectly in love with their father is so sickly sweet it makes me gag. Little kids have
Scott
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Everything in this volume relates back to the Wolves - Bigby, his kids with Snow White and culminates in the wedding.

I've said it before and it continues to be true - quite simply the best series of graphic novels that have ever been done. The art is stunning, the storytelling is stunning, the pacing the characters are stunning. I continue to be disappointed in myself that I didn't discover these until a year ago.

If there was a shelf for the highest possible recommended books, this would be on t
Matt Garcia
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good story arc and it was nice to see the return of Bigby Wolf. All of the issues included were enjoyable and the main characters contained within them were equally as enjoyable. The wolves being the focal point of the stories was a nice change. Good writing and artwork were on display here once again and it was a much better follow up to the last volume (7)
Quentin Wallace
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this one Mowgli tracks down Bigby Wolf who undertakes a dangerous mission to the homelands. When he returns, we finally see his wedding with Snow White and he finally gets to meet his children. There's also a story telling how Cinderella finally got the giants of the cloud kingdoms to sign a treaty with the other fables.
Social_Sloth
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ashley Smith
Yay!!!

They finally did it! Snow and a Bigby got married! Yay yay yay!!! And I like seeing the small adventures that Cinderella goes on as well.
  • Cinderella, Volume 1: From Fabletown with Love
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 7: Paper Dolls (Y: The Last Man, #7)
  • House of Mystery, Volume 2: Love Stories for Dead People
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 4: The New Scum (Transmetropolitan, #4)
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many ...more

Fables (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile
  • Fables, Volume 2: Animal Farm
  • Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love
  • Fables, Vol. 4: March of the Wooden Soldiers
  • Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons
  • Fables, Vol. 6: Homelands
  • Fables, Vol. 7: Arabian Nights [and Days] (Fables, #7)
  • Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall
  • Fables, Vol. 9: Sons of Empire
  • Fables, Vol. 10: The Good Prince
“I love you, Snow, and have since the hour we first met. Hell, I wanted you even before then. Since before we existed. As if every movement of every star and planet, every tick of creation's clock occurred only so that we could someday find each other.” 14 likes