Start by marking “Memory” as Want to Read:
Memory

Memory

H. P. Lovecraft was one of the greatest horror writers of all time. His seminal work appeared in the pages of legendary Weird Tales and has influenced countless writer of the macabre. This is one of those stories.
Published February 3rd 2014 by Start Publishing LLC (first published May 7th 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memory

Start your review of Memory
Peter
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Eerie atmosphere, a thin horned moon, a demon named memory and "these being of yesterday were called Man." Very poetic description of a valley and its river. Ruins of the past and some fancy dialogue. I really enjoyed this short story by Lovecraft. Recommended!
Emm - On a Hiatus of Uncertain Nature
"Memory" recalls a primordial past, a vein of previous selves that are perhaps better left behind. This free verse piece has the atmosphere of a sinister, dystopian Arabian Nights, but that's really the only strength it has to tell, as it's only three pages. I've always thought that Lovecraft was more cut out for poems and prose than storytelling, personally, though his creative ideas were psychedelic and grotesque, mostly in a good way.

+--Read more of my Lovecraft reviews here on my blog.--+
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is more of a reminder for myself than anything.

Memory is a snippet of an encounter between the Genie and the Daemon who are talking about the builders who left the stones and the ruins near the river Than.
Baal Of
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, weird
An oddly effective, tiny little story, evoking the ephemeral nature of human works.
R.J. Salem
Lovecraft's fourth published work. This flash short story evokes his interest in nameless relics and forgotten history, which over time become regular staples of his mythos. This one-page story describes the deteriorating and horrific condition of the mysterious "valley of Nis," and observes a conversation between the "Genie that haunts the moonbeams" and the "Daemon of the Valley." The two briefly converse about the beings that built the valley's crumbling monoliths, and the Daemon, named ...more
Eddie
It's so short I feel a bit strange reviewing it. For me, it just wasn't long enough for its message to be effective.
K. Anna Kraft
I have arranged my takeaway thoughts into a haiku, as best as I could:

"For all mankind’s fuss,
The mark left is mere landscape
The garden reclaims."
Meg
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feels like a puzzle piece from a bigger story
Austin Wright
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE COMPLETE TEXT:

"In the valley of Nis the accursed waning moon shines thinly, tearing a path for its light with feeble horns through the lethal foliage of a great upas-tree. And within the depths of the valley, where the light reaches not, move forms not meet to be beheld. Rank is the herbage on each slope, where evil vines and creeping plants crawl amidst the stones of ruined palaces, twining tightly about broken columns and strange monoliths, and heaving up marble pavements laid by
Amy (Other Amy)
This little vignette on the passing mankind is very reminiscent of Ambrose Bierce's "An Inhabitant of Carcosa." Shelley's Ozymandias is essentially the same sentiment but better, albeit restricted to one king instead of the whole of us.

(Moved 2015 review to the individual work Sept. 2017 to make room to review the collection under its own entry.)
Sam
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
H.P. Lovecraft writes a short story about a genie and a daemon who talk about the history of the race of creatures who built local ruins. A surprise cliffhanger ending complicates the plot's conclusion, and its usage invites multiple readings to understand the story. While some readers might be overwhelmed by the story's century-old vocabulary, other readers seeking a slowly unfolding flash fiction about the fall of civilizations should be entertained.
Amy Mills
Might have given this three stars if I hadn't been reading Jacqueline Carey's crisp, elegant prose immediately beforehand. Lovecraft's comes across as a great, galumphing beast by comparison (and for all I know, he might have been pleased about that).

Stone ruins are inhabited by monkeys and serpents and "unnamed" things, with the big reveal that (view spoiler). Possibly at the time Lovecraft was writing, this idea wasn't an overused cliche.
Rizzie
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great little flash fiction. A different perspective on cosmic indifference than Lovecraft's usual horror angle. I think the length does hurt it though. For something so different, I would've liked to see Lovecraft play with this setting for a few more pages. It's almost a small preview of what would later become the very successful post-apocalyptic genre.
JM
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Genie and a Daemon discuss the ruins near the river Than and, wouldn't you know it, it turns out this is some post-apocalyptic Arabian Nights scenario and the original builders were a long forgotten species, once called Man.
Nikola Ignjatovski
Very short, ending is not as unpredictable as it may have been a century ago.
Not bad.
Saul the Heir of Isauldur
Has atmosphere, and paints a grim and interesting scene.
John Yelverton
This is a completely forgettable tale from H.P. Lovecraft, and doesn't even qualify as a waste of time, because it's so short.
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
A short, interesting piece that shows the fleating nature of mankind.
Christopher Luciano
A short page story about a daemon contemplating the deceased human race and a genie who haunts the night. Not one of Lovecrafts's more ambitious works, but fine nonetheless.
Serena
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Rating System:
Anna
Short, simple and amazing - 3 words of how to desribe it.
Achillia Herondale
Short but it has an atmoshere...dark as always, Lovecraft style. His writing is unique, even in that small part he can immerse you.
Brian
I didn't know what to make of this when I first read it, back when I was reading the The Outsider And Others collections of Lovecraft's stories. It's less than a page, and at that poitn I had never read Silence: A Fable, or really much of any Poe other than the mandatory-in-school "The Tell-Tale Heart," so I mostly found it confusing and strange. I'm not sure the concept of prose poetry, or of stories designed explicitly to set a mood rather than to describe a plot.

And this story is clearly
Colleen
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love this one-page prose poem. It is a perfectly formed, if brief, discussion between the Genie of the Moon and the Daemon of the Valley of Nis regarding the sad little apes living in trees. Very reminiscent of Poe. It is a comment on the brevity of human life and humanity in general. It is morose and beautiful.
Netanella
One of Lovecraft's very early works and indicative of the talent that he will become later on. In this one-page story, Genie and Daemon recall the memory of Man. I'd only recommend this for fans of Lovecraft who are interested in reading all of his works. Otherwise, it's a pass.
Marco
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is a surprisingly good story, despite its very short length. A reflection on the position of the man in the universe, a short limited presence on a remote speck of dust, at the edge of one of almost infinite number of galaxies.
Thomas
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow, okay, that was astonishingly short.
R. August
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
Basically a prose retelling of Ozymandias, and just as brief - still, the images of the forgotten and ruined valley were enjoyable.
Bill Henderson
Didn't seem to do anything. I may have missed something. Will give it another go later sometime.
Ebster Davis
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I"m thinking I like lovecraft best when he's short and too the point. This one is almost a poem, so it did nicely.

• حكايات بعد النوم
  • The Imp of the Perverse
  • Loss of Breath
  • Ozymandias
  • Jabberwocky
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
“These beings were like the waters of the river Than, not to be understood. Their deeds I recall not, for they were but of the moment. Their aspect I recall dimly, for it was like to that of the little apes in the trees. Their name I recall clearly, for it rhymed with that of the river. These beings of yesterday were called Man.” 0 likes