Start by marking “Cover Your Eyes (Morgans of Nashville, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cover Your Eyes (Morgans of Nashville, #1)

Cover Your Eyes

(Morgans of Nashville #1)

Don't Look

At first, they struggle to escape. Then a torrent of blows rains down upon their bodies until their eyes cloud over in final agony. The killer shows no remorse--just a twisted need to witness each victim's last terrified moments.

Don't Speak

Public defender Rachel Wainwright is struggling to reopen a decades-old case, convinced that the wrong man is in prison. Hom
Published October 28th 2014 by Zebra

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

3.5 Stars

“When secrets have been buried a long time there are people that don’t want them dug up.”

First things first: I DIDN’T GUESS WHO DID IT!!!!!

Commercial Photography

I read tons of less-than-stellar mysteries/thrillers so not knowing the whodunit (almost immediately, most of the time) in a novel is a HUGE deal for me. I mean, I kinda guessed that someone had something to do with the bad shit going down, but I was off the mark with specifics (and for
Sue

I received " Cover Your Eyes" by Mary Burton as an ARC from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first novel that I have read by this author, and while it is classified as romantic/suspense, I feel that it belongs more in the crime/mystery genre. I have no idea why Mary Burton titled this book “Cover Your Eyes.” and found the cover confusing and not really related to the story of honky-tonk Nashville and a tire iron wielding murder thirty years ago and today.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Mary Burton has become a go to author for me, however, there were a number of earlier books that I hadn't read and I am going back and reading them. This is the first book in the Morgans of Nashville series and I really enjoyed it. Although in the romantic suspense category, it is definitely more a crime/suspense plot than a romance novel.

I really enjoyed the suspense plot where a young attorney, Rachel Wainright, is trying to overturn a 30 year old murder charge for her client. She believes tha
Mei
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Great mystery/suspense!

The plot is really great and I enjoyed the unraveling mystery very, very much!

The touch of romance (and there was just a touch of it!) is very well done and credible, without the insta-lust/love!

The MCs, Rachel and Deke were plain fantastic! So very real life people with real problems! Their connection is not instantaneous, but slow building. And it was so good!

The mystery was also very well done and even if I had suspects and they came true, I enjoyed the ride!

Great book
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime Fans, Suspense Fans
The good news for me after reading this book is that I didn't guess who the killer was, it was a total surprise to me. That was a satisfying moment, love a book that outwits me. It happens now and then. Cover Your Eyes was a decent read, I disagree with it being labelled a romantic suspense novel however. The romance is very low key and really is only represented at the end of the novel. It's more a crime mystery overall.

Public defender Rachel Wainwright is struggling to reopen a decades-old cas
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
So this is classified as romantic suspense, which is definitely isn't. I would classify it with regular suspense/thrillers, especially considering there was very very minimal romance until the very end of the book.

Overall, I liked the plot, but found it a little slow moving. It felt like it was slow for the entire middle of the book and then jam packed with action and answers in the last few pages, where it felt like the reveals could have been a little more spaced out so it didn't feel so rush
Amanda McGill
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, 2019
For full review - The Limit of Books Does Not Exist

Cover Your Eyes is the first novel in the Morgans of Nashville series. Each novel in the series focuses on a Morgan sibling (4 siblings in total) who end up falling in love and solving a murder. Up first is Homicide detective Deke Morgan, who is living in his late father’s shadow. He is even working with his father’s ex-partner.

In comes Rachel Wainwright who is fighting to overturn her client’s conviction. Unfortunately for her, her client is se
Suz Thackston
Jan 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit
Nope, not going on with it. It's a pity in a way, because it's probably a good mystery/crime/thriller. But 100 pages in I don't give a hoot about anybody in it. And without a character to care about, it's no good to me.
Don't know why it's billed as a romance. Not a whiff of romance about it, at least thus far.
I'm mildly intrigued by the 'Sugar' notes at the beginning of each chapter and sorry not to know what that's about, but it's not enough of a hook to keep me going through 300 more pages.
Nex
Judy Collins
COVER YOUR EYES by Mary Burton is a crime mystery suspense thriller, with twists and turns, and a whodunit which will leave your head spinning.

Annie was a good-looking, blonde, sexy gal and all the men swoon when she walks into a room. She loves country music, a singer in local honky-tonk bars, looking for a chance to make it to the big time in Nashville. All the men want her, and offer her an array of promises. However, just when she thinks she may get it all, she is brutally murdered.

Jeb Jone
Izy
ARC generously provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Rating~ 3.5 stars.

Rachel wainwright is a public defender of the convicted murderer of Annie Dawson, who has been in jail for 30 years. She believes her client didn’t kill Annie. Rachel is both strong yet vulnerable at the same time, she could also be a bit a naive in her thinking.

Deke Morgan is a cop and son of the man who put Annie’s killer in jail. Side note every time I read that name I couldn’t help but
Lena
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"As much as she loved and wanted to be Annie, she couldn’t help but enjoy it when she suffered."

It was good. Stay-up-all-night-can't-guess-who-the-killer-is good. Annie was the charismatic gorgeous blonde country singer everyone wanted.

Thirty years ago her brutal death stunned Nashville. Bludgeoned in her own home a stones throw from her baby: her body missing for months. It was the sort of case that kept people home at night, a case that made Buddy Morgan's career when he arrested Jeb Jone
Mark
Aug 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
Started out strong, seemed like it might be a humdinger of a who-done-it, snappy plot building up, plausible characters coming to life; but I couldn't get any further than the first third or so because the quality of the writing was just so endlessly, platitidinously, godawfully substandard. I haven't seen prose this sloppy — and certainly not this this cliché-cluttered — since I taught Creative Writing to eighth graders. Cliché after cliché after cliché, pretty much nothing but clichés, thought ...more
Betty
betty cox -- Last update on Nov 8, 2014
Review

COVER YOUR EYES is a template of what an excellent romantic suspense should be. Well formed characters, strong narrative, titilating story threads.

An excellent addition to your keeper shelf.

Betty Cox, Reviewer
Dee
Two-haiku review:

She's lawyer seeking
To free client in prison
Cop's dad made arrest

Old fashioned, hard boiled
Suspense with touch of romance
Convoluted crime
Donna
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this book from 2014, attorney Rachel Wainwright takes on the case of a man convicted of murder over 30 years ago. She is determined to get a DNA test to prove his innocence. The cop she deals with is Deke Morgan, son of the cop who arrested her client. Deke is currently working on a case where a singer is bludgeoned to death with a tire iron. Soon, Rachel is attacked by an assailant with a tire iron. A private investigator she is using on her case is killed by a tire iron. Deke starts to wond ...more
Tori
Public defender Rachel Wainwright struggles to right a wrong when she takes a pro bono case from decades ago. Her client was accused of killing a beautiful singer and has sat in prison for 30 years. Rachel feels DNA evidence will exonerate her client but there are people out there who don’t want the case reopened.

Detective Deke Morgan’s father was the detective who investigated and put Rachel’s client behind bars. He doesn’t want to see his father proved wrong but a recent string of brutal slayi
Bea  Charmed
Well, this book started off fast and didn't let up. Despite being 400 pages, the book was a quick read, no doubt due to the fact that Burton grabbed and kept my interest. "Cover Your Eyes" has some intense moments, and I literally did cover my eyes a few times and skimmed some scenes. I did guess who the killer was but wasn't certain of it and had no clue why until late in the story. There were several twists and turns that kept me guessing.

The title is a bit confusing as it's not really relevan
Claire

ISBN: 9781420132113

Source: Netgalley

3/5 stars

About the author:

Mary Burton is the New York Times bestselling and critically acclaimed author of I'm Watching You, Dead Ringer, Dying Scream, Senseless, Merciless, Before She Dies andThe 7th Victim - all set in Virginia, USA, where Mary lives with her family. Her website is www.maryburton.com.

Rachel Wainwright failed to overturn her brother Luke's conviction before he died in prison, so she is determ
Holly (epiloguebookblog)
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars*

I really enjoyed reading Cover Your Eyes. While I found myself wanting more from the romance thread of the story, I thought the novel’s more prevalent purpose—mystery/suspense—was executed very well. While I made many guesses as to the perpetrator’s identity, the revelation toward the novel’s end still surprised me. The many viable suspects, presented throughout the work, kept me intrigued.

Overall, I really liked the main characters. Rachel is a good mix of hard-nosed and compassionate
Shelbie  Knight
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
At times, very intense, drawing me in, making me guess - and it took me quite a while to figure out who the killer was. But at other times I found myself slagging a bit. A good sized novel, at 400 pages, but I think there were a few scenes that easily could have been cut, tightening it up a bit and still leaving a respectable novel. Overall, I almost gave it four stars (why can't we rate in 1/2 stars?!), but it wasn't quite there for me. But I admit, I am tough. To earn a four, it has to be GOOO ...more
Melanie Johnson
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
There is a killer on the loose murdering women who are beautiful, blonde and great singers. (For some reason, I kept picturing Hayden Panettiere in NASHVILLE). The murders are quite similar to a murder that happened years ago, except the convicted killer is still in prison. Did he really kill Annie 20 years ago or is the killer still on the loose?

I was quite surprised at the twists and turns in this novel. I really loved it and would recommend it to a friend. I received this as an ARC from NetGa
Tamara Clark
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great twist at the end! I didn't see that coming!
Margaret
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
ARC provided by NightOwlReviews

The book could not hold my attention. By chapter three i was ready to put it down an pick another book.
the storyline is interesting but it was not for me.
Tbabe001
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a good suspense, but a poorly written romantic suspense. The ending felt a bit rushed, the writer tries too hard to tie everything last min.....not very convincing.
A
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. There were so many puzzle pieces to this story and it kept you intrigued. I mean how well do you really know people is shown amazingly in this book. I abandoned sleep for this book as I kept needing to know more about the people, their secrets, and their lies. I adore Rachel and her strong will. She goes into this ever the optimist as she feels it's her duty to protect those who are the victim of circumstance. It does get her in trouble but she handles it like a superh ...more
Bullet pointing here.

What I liked:
1) Strong heroine who stands for what's right.
2) Hero that isn't OTT alpha but knows how to take care of the people he loves.
3) The mystery was tough to figure out.
4) Not loaded with tons of intimate scenes. Just one scene was tastefully done.
5) No insta-love or lust. Grown ups acting like grown ups is always refreshing.

What I didn't like:
1) Heroine doing some pretty TSTL things in the name is investigating. I miss me some Morgan Dane, who could investigate, l
Danielle Gypsy Soul
3.5 Stars. I liked this book but the crime/mystery overshadows the small romance plot so I'm not sure I'd consider this a romantic suspense book. I will say that the mystery was intense and exciting and there were so many twists along the way. I actually didn't guess the villain which is rare for me. I liked the MC's and I thought the crime/mystery part was very well written. I personally like a little more balance between the mystery and romance then this book had. I also still can't figure out ...more
Amanda
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm glad this book was not my first Mary Burton. If it had been, I don't know if I would have been so eager to read more of her books. It was hard to like the lead male character. Honestly, he was kind of a jerk. The romance portion was also weird. It seemed like most of the time they were at odds and being incredibly rude to each other and then the next day they were madly in love.
The mystery was unrealistic but, fun.
I usually enjoy Mary Burton's characters more.
renee
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

I really liked this book. I live near Nashville and it was nice to read a book that takes place in your area. It felt more real because of that. I am definitely gonna read this series. I think the writing was good too. It kept my attention through the whole book. The Morgan family seems like a family I want to get to know.
Aditi
May 06, 2017 rated it liked it
A pretty good detective novel, with a strong female lead. Lots of family drama with the lead character, an attorney, with her antagonist, a burly cop, and his family. The author wrote an intricate story with lots of descriptive detail. It got a little soap opera-ish at the end, thus the three stars. But overall, a good read.

• Special Gifts
  • Cold Secrets (Cold Justice, #7)
  • The Deepest Ocean (Eden #2)
  • A Just Deception (Private Protectors, #3)
  • Wanted (Deadly Secrets #2)
  • Montana Actually (Medicine River, #1)
  • Guilty as Sin (Dead Wrong, #4)
  • Confessions of a Royal Bridegroom (The Renegade Royals, #2)
  • The Seduction of Samantha Kincade (Dangerous Men, #1)
  • Altered Destiny
  • Anticipation (Brothers Ink #2)
  • Tell No Lies (The Aldridge Sisters #2)

Mary Burton, whose latest novel is Hide and Seek, loves writing suspense, getting to know her characters, keeping up with law enforcement and forensic procedure, morning walks, baking, and tiny dachshunds. She also enjoys hunting down serial killers, which she does in her New York Times and USA Today bestselling novels. Library Journal has compared her work to that of Lisa Jackson and Lisa Gardner

Morgans of Nashville (4 books)
  • Be Afraid (Morgans of Nashville, #2)
  • I'll Never Let You Go (Morgans of Nashville, #3)
  • Vulnerable (Morgans of Nashville, #4)
“tighter command” 0 likes