Start by marking “Hello, My Name Is Awesome: How to Create Brand Names That Stick” as Want to Read:
Hello, My Name Is Awesome: How to Create Brand Names That Stick

Hello, My Name Is Awesome: How to Create Brand Names That Stick

Too many new companies and products have names that look like the results of a drunken Scrabble(R) game (Xobni, Svbtle, Doostang). In this entertaining and engaging book, ace-naming consultant Alexandra Watkins explains how anyone--even noncreative types--can create memorable and effective brand names. No degree in linguistics required.

The heart of the book is Watkins's pr
Published September 15th 2014 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hello, My Name Is Awesome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello, My Name Is Awesome

Start your review of Hello, My Name Is Awesome: How to Create Brand Names That Stick
Keith
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Keith by: Mark Cramer
This book makes a lot of good points, and it's pretty clear to me that the overall process and exercises described are a much better approach to branding than pretty much anything I've ever seen or heard of before.

That said, I have to take some major points off because it also seems oddly opinionated in ways unsupported by data, and gets some things just plain wrong. For example, several of the listed "7 Deadly Sins" of naming have prominent counterexamples of brands that have done stunningly we
Ahmad Abugosh
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book that gives you some principles to think about when coming up with a brand name. The main philosophy in the book (shortened to SCRATCH) is to avoid:
1) Spelling Changes (using non-conventional spelling that makes it hard for people to find you)
2) Copycat: Using a similar style or naming convention of another brand
3) Restrictive: Naming something that could limit your future growth (focusing just on a certain niche)
4) Annoying: Nothing that is too annoying
5) Tame
6) Curse of Knowledge: H
Lino  Matteo
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hello My Name is Awesome
Alexandra Watkins
2019

How did you name your business?
After yourself? After your favourite food? Perhaps a pet, like a dog, cat or hamster?
How about if you went with AWESOME instead? This book explains the do’s and don’ts of naming your business.
The author presents some powerful ideas and shares experience and insight to get you to awesome. So remember: Anytime you have a provocative name, you must prepare to be persecuted ~ Alexandra Watkins

EN: Please note that
Brian Yahn
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is helpful in understanding how important a brand name is and how to identify good ones versus bad ones.

The best part is: it's super short. At only about 100 pages, I tore through it in less than 2 hours.

That being said, the book isn't as magical as the title implies. Sure I might be better equipped to come up with a good brand name after reading this book. But I still don't think I'll come up with a good one on my own, not any time soon.

If anything, this book has convinced me to hire
Jeremy
Mar 14, 2022 rated it really liked it
Cool book, easy and fun to read.
Debbie Irwin
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What’s in a name?
More than you might think!

This delightful, delectable, delicious book by former Ogilvy copywriter Alexandra Watkins is as fun as it is informative.

Written in an easygoing style, the tone is refreshingly conversational - not like a typical business book. And like she says, she is "not afraid to name names." She calls them as she sees them, and doesn't hold back giving examples of truly awful names like Xobni that fail her SMILE & SCRATCH test.

In the true spirit of wanting to hel
Mark Higbee
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this copy as a Goodreads First Reads. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. It is fast and furious. It has such simple concepts, that in the excitement of starting up a business, one is likely to forget. It helps bring the naming process back down to a long-term perspective, and to focus on the future of your company. There are numerous examples of good, as well as bad names and the author articulately explains the pros and cons of each.

I highly recommend this book to anyone thinking about b
Barbara Silverman
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the most enlightening and easy to read business books I've read in a long time. Not only did Alexandra offer a very valuable process for creating "brand names that stick", but she did it in a light-hearted, entertaining and precise style. Missing was only the hundred pages of fluff that so often accompany business books. This one got to the point, proved the point, and demonstrated how I can do it too. I only wish I had read it years ago when some important naming decisions were in play. ...more
Becky Robinson
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had an advance copy of this book and devoured it on a flight back from the west coast. Then my daughter read it on the drive home from the airport.

This is a really fun and entertaining book. More than that, it has really smart insights and ideas about how to choose great names for your company, product, or service.

An absolute delight!
Robin
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The best investment you could make if you want to start a business, or launch a product, would be to invest $13 and an hour of your time in this smart, breezy, incredibly useful guide to naming. The book's is entertaining -- but more importantly, it is incredibly valuable in a world where your company or product's name will help you cut through the clutter of noise, and build a brand. ...more
Jessica Fuller
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading this great book, I have a new appreciation for the process of creating a brand name! It's thought provoking and to the point! Great book! ...more
Kelsey Jones
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really helpful, with actionable tips and resources. Was exactly what I was expecting and would recommend.
John E. Smith
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Awesome” is not a word to be used lightly, especially as part of a book title … Fortunately, in this case, it fits quite nicely, as does “Interesting”, “Honest”, “Focused” and “Helpful”.

INTERESTING: If you are a marketing wonk, you will love this book. If you are a branding “guru”, you may feel a little uncomfortable, because Alexandra pulls no punches as she skewers some very popular current naming practices. Even if you have absolutely no interest in any business applications, you will still
Andrew Erickson
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! It's a quick read. It is only 2.5 hours on Audible so I finished it in an evening. I love the insight the author has to terrible names.
Here are my notes I took while reading:

SMILE (good names) and SCRATCH (bad names) test

SMILE
Suggestive- Evokes something about your brand
Meaningful- resonates with your customers
Imagery - visual component

Annoying - forc
Marija Vaicaitiene
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Step by step guide how to brainstorm, get new ideas, check their relevance and create a really good brand name. The book is very practical and full of good/bad examples.
Davezilla
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Required reading for marketers and branding professionals

Even if you've been in the industry a while (Me, 20+ years), you'll find Alexandra's advice and techniques to be useful. This book covers both the strategic and tactical sides of naming, including better idea generation methods than you're probably use now. Quick read, too. Her writing style is as clean and simple and her brand names are. Highly recommended.
Ryan White
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow am I glad I read this book!

I'm in the beginning stages of starting my own business and have been struggling to come up with a unique name that defines the company I want to create. This book is full of valuable do's and don'ts. It also has some great templates and strategies for coming up with a name on your own. I highly recommend this book to anyone in the process of naming a business.
Patrick
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Overall a very good short book on branding. There were a few issues mentioned in other reviews (trademarking band names). However, the detailed walk through of the process behind finding names was very helpful. Everything else can be summed up by the SMILE and SCRATCH acronyms.
KT
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: embetterment
Quick read but 100% useful. Have you ever thought about how many companies or products have terrible names? She leads you through what makes a good or bad name and how to brainstorm and select one, as well as how to avoid copyright infringements. Super useful.
Colin
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genuinely funny, insightful and full of practical methods of brainstorming brand names. Highly recommend it!
Khai Ng
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
short and sharp. a lot of important points. good for a fast reading
Annie
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick, to the point, and very useful.
Raphie
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: small business and entrepreneurs
If you are even at the just "thinking about it stage" of branding and naming, this is a MUST read!
I wish I had. But I finished this book in about 1 day and immediately implemented tips.
I used techniques for grabbing some awesome related .com domains.
Reading this book you gain such clarity and with that confidence in your brand. If you think you know yourself and your brand, read this book and see if you get same answer. So much value, so many takeaways. I have an audio verison and the book.

He
Stephen
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Hindsight is awesome, especially if you can put some clever acronyms around it.

Not all the examples highlighted in this book are convincing. In fact, some are quite opinionated (if not downright self-righteous) and contradictory.

An example cited by the author is the "clever" way Google named Android versions after sweet indulgences (Cupcakes, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean). The problem is that when you buy a new device, you may not be able to tell
Martin Kilarski
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A must-read book for anyone for whom it's important to choose a great name for a business. It's packed with useful information, tips and lots of examples.

Some of my favourite parts:

SMILE: The 5 Qualities of a Super-Sticky Name

* Spelling chall
Hadjer
Jan 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-b-d
In short, I think this book serves its purpose: How to name your brand.

The author enumerates the qualities of a good name plus the mistakes we should avoid. What I really enjoyed is her walkthrough naming a real brand: that was a true mind enlighting!!! I mean this is her day to day work.

Of course, my reason to pick this book is I wanted to open my small business, and believe me finding a name is a big challenge.

So I wanted to open a store for handmade. Almost everyone names their business with
Paige Hansen
Sep 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I recently read Alexandra's very helpful book as I struggled to objectively develop a name for a new brand. The book was organized in a way that truly made it feel like a 1:1 how-to coaching session. The writing was super engaging, which made it easy to read quickly (I finished in a day!). I followed her exercises outlined in the book and developed dozens of new ideas, none of which I'd thought of prior to reading the book.

"Hello, My Name Is Awesome" is a must-read for anyone (particularly foun
Grove Ayers
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I re-read this after participating in a recent webcast with Alexandra. Such clear and essential insight and guidance!
Alexandra is the real deal. She has created iconic, lasting names and enhanced brands for decades. Ten years ago she was incredibly helpful to me on a project. Not only did she give me cogent, focused advice on my branding/naming project (turns out I was on the right track after all!) but she followed up in such a genuine and interested way...I've never forgotten it.
This book is a
Katrina
Mar 03, 2022 rated it liked it
A quick, interesting book. A lot of the ideas here felt like common sense, but given the prevalence of subpar brand names out there, apparently, it isn't so common after all.

Watkins uses two acronyms to highlight the things you find in a good brand name (SMILE)

Suggestive - evokes something about your brand
Meaningful - resonates with your audience
Imagery - is visually evocative to aid in memory
Legs - lends itself to a theme for extended mileage
Emotional - moves people

and in a poor one (SCRATCH)
Jalal Daad
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
What's in the name?
Everything!

The tone and the writing style of this book are exactly what you expect from a professional copywriter, engaging and fun to read. So there is one thing for sure when you read this book is you won't get bored. The language is simple, the sentences are crips and there is no dragging over to "nowhere" but talking to the point.

The book is informative. It has simplified the Dos and Don'ts of company/brand/product namings. It has given useful hints for how and from where
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Brand New Name: A Proven, Step-by-Step Process to Create an Unforgettable Brand Name
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • The Brand Gap
  • The Freelance Manifesto: A Field Guide for the Modern Motion Designer
  • The Win Without Pitching Manifesto
  • $100M Offers: How To Make Offers So Good People Feel Stupid Saying No
  • Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Entire Branding Team
  • DotCom Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Growing Your Company Online
  • The Accidental Creative: How to Be Brilliant at a Moment's Notice
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • Encore (In the Spotlight #2)
  • Unwritten (In the Spotlight #1)
  • Living Next to Love: Steamy-Sweet Adult Romance (Steel Brothers Celebrity Romance Book 3)
  • Running Away From Love: Steamy-Clean Adult Romance (Steel Brothers Celebrity Romance Book 2)
  • A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life
  • Celebrity (Smart & Sassy in the City, #1)
  • Ask: The Counterintuitive Online Formula to Discover Exactly What Your Customers Want to Buy...Create a Mass of Raving Fans...and Take Any Business to the Next Level
See top shelves…
Founder of naming firm Eat My Words, Alexandra Watkins is a recognized expert on brand names with buzz. She is frequently quoted in the press and been featured in leading business publications including The Wall Street Journal, Inc., and Entrepreneur. Alexandra is a popular speaker at MBA programs and has been a guest presenter multiple times at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, San Franci ...more

News & Interviews

“The most powerful brand names connect with people and move them to buy because they are based on familiar words and concepts that they understand and appreciate” 0 likes