Start by marking “The Devil's Intern (The Devil's, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Intern (The Devil's, #1)

The Devil's Intern

(The Devil's #1)

"How did you die?"

It's the most popular question in Hell, and Mitchell Johnson has been answering it ever since he was hit by a bus at age seventeen and inexplicably ended up in the Underworld. Now Mitchell is The Devil's intern in Hell's accounting office. Lately, he's noticed a disturbing trend: the volume of new arrivals is straining Hell's limited resources. Then Mitch
Published by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Intern, please sign up.
Terry The actual page count of the hardcover edition of THE DEVIL'S INTERN is 240 pages, though the last page printed in the book is 229. The fall 2015 pape…moreThe actual page count of the hardcover edition of THE DEVIL'S INTERN is 240 pages, though the last page printed in the book is 229. The fall 2015 paperback edition will have 248 pages and includes additional material.

Terry Borzumato-Greenberg
VP, Marketing
Holiday House(less)

Start your review of The Devil's Intern (The Devil's, #1)
Emily May
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, sci-fi, young-adult
“Can we go back and sit down? Dancing is for girls.”
“I am a girl, Mitchell,” replies Medusa, “and try telling The Devil that.” We both look over at the master of Hell, who has cleared the dance floor with his moshing.”

I know humour is subjective, but I found this book hilarious. As in, laugh-out-loud oh-no-people-are-looking-at-me hilarious. Seriously, it's dangerous to read this in a public place.

I'm not even much of a comedy person. Give me fast-paced, angsty drama over giggles any day. Bu
Angela
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"I just love books about guys who are working in the accounting department of Hell as the Devil's intern and then over hear about a way to get out and get their life back by using time travel..." said no one ever! However, that is only because nothing like this has ever been written. The Devil's Intern was a really great surprise.

When I first heard about this book I only knew that it was full of dry humor (my fave) and about a boy who was working as, yes you guessed it, the Devil's intern. I had
Cristina Monica
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: time-travel
Ah, THE DEVIL’S INTERN.

The one book for which I put aside all my current reads to start and finish the same day. It had my complete, unfailing attention.

And it kept it. For the most part.

It’s an original story about a boy who dies and becomes the devil’s intern. He’s been there for four years when he discovers the existence of a device that can allow him to go back in time.

But he’s not alone in all of this. He has his friends by his side, including Medusa.

Yeah, MEDUSA. How awesome is that? She’
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

PROUDLY : I'M PUTTING THIS ON HOLD!

ANNOYED : You've got this wrong. This seems like a good book. You're not putting good books on hold. It's like... a rule or something. DUH.

HYSTERICAL : But that's the THING! It is FUNNY! Or something! Or maybe both! Let's say BOTH!

PSYCHANALITIC : Hmm. Erm. So. Hmm. Erm. Let me summing up for you, but please feel free to add any thought -

WHINY : But I thought it was what I needed! That's so unfair *tearing up* I mean, what am I supposed to do when hilarious boo
Hannah ◇Reader in the Rough◇
DNF 35%.

"Is it always so hot in Hell? Of course it is; I see the heating bills. They’re one of the reasons Septimus is so worried. Hell is on the verge of bankruptcy, and with so many new devils arriving, the cost of running the Afterlife is insane.

Right now The Devil’s moods swing from deliriously happy to just delirious. We’re approaching the end of the financial year, when The Devil goes through the budget with the finance team, and let’s just say the last time they met, the furnaces in Hel
Turkan Taskin
Want to get over your reading slump? Looking for a fun, fast-paced, funny book, with fantastic characters? Well, look no further my friend, because I present you The Devil's Intern.

Sometimes we just want a break from all the heavy fantasies, the tearful contemporaries that strain to teach you a life lesson and instead just want to jump on a quick, but fun journey. The Devil's Intern is a hilarious book with light world-building and characters you really care about. Hosie really has a talent for
karzee
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I totally adored the book.All the characters were written very well and the time paradox addressed very nicely.And this was important because I have been watching a lot of the Flash and when Eddie shot himself in season 1(Damn,was that a spoiler?),and Flash did not,not become Flash,I was enraged.Since then,I wanted to read a good book with the time paradox addressed nicely(I'm not really into sci-fi.I like watching sci-fi better).And this book did it for me.
The part where Mitchell sees his dead
Yuiko
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutly loved it!!!!!!
Ranelyn
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars for Team DEVIL! Can't wait for book 2!
Vaishnavi
description

OMG. I have soooo many question!! Seriously so good to read! I'd been on a reading break since last 5 months and this was the perrrfect book to break in and into 2015.
theres no question about my love for Donna's books but since all others were past related, periodical even, and this was so different, I was intrigued as well as curious to see if it would impress me and my love for magic, fantasy and adventure.
and it did. it absolutely did.

I've always said that there are a few things that make
Merril Anil
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Its wicked to the core

If you haven’t read this book till now, I suggest you do right now because you will die laughing and then probably go meet the character of the book in hell and have even more fun.

Hell is definitely made fun all thanks to the humorous ride that the author led us on. Out and out the humor just kills you in this book. I am deeply and madly in love with this book for its ability to cheer up the mood and spirits immediately in spite of the fact that the whole theme and concep
Melissa
I really loves this, and the students I've got in my book club are loving it so far, too. I already can't wait for the next one!!!
Jayme
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
★★★★ FOUR OUT OF FIVE STARS FOR AN AMAZING BOOK !!!!

The Devil's Intern is a wonderfully written novel about time travel and frienship. Main character Mitchell discovers that dying and going to Hell isn't all that bad when you have three amazing best friends to spend your days with. When rumors of a time travel device come about, Mitchell wonders if he can somehow use it to change his death. Nobody wants to die, right? Along the journey, he discovers that things are the way they are for a reason.
Polly Roth
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
It is very hard to find a book that will have me laughing for its entirety. That perfect balance of witty and realistic humor is so rare in a book. The Devil's Intern has this humor and then some. It's one of those books you just can't read in public without embarrassing yourself.
The main character, Mitchell, is literally the Devil's Intern. He grabs coffee, manages receipts, makes lists, all for the devil himself. That in itself is hilarious. Combined with Mitchell's constant snark, it made f
Hailey
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jess
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favourite book of 2015, It was hilarious. Such a witty humour that completely took me by surprise. Loved it!
Christian - Curious Quill
Stars: 4.5/5

Summary of the story:

"Death has a symphony. It isn't violins and crashing cymbals and beating drums; it consists of screaming and yelling and, in my case, the screeching of brakes." - Mitchell Johnson

Mitchell Johnson's untimely demise has led him to a permanent residence in Hell. However, his newfound friends (Alfarin, a viking prince, Elinor, a victim of the fire of 1666, and Medusa) have made the traumatizing experience fairly bearable. He spends most of his days working as the Dev
Erna
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The plot:
Sooner or later, everyone has to kick the bucket. If you're lucky, you end up in a place called Up There. If you're not so fortunate, you end up in Hell.

But hey, Hell isn't that bad really. In the Underworld, things are pretty similar to everyday life. Of course, it's insanely hot down there and there's some serious torture going on every now and then, but all in all, one also has a more or less annoying job, the rush hour seems to last an eternity and food is the highlight of the day.
Peggy.  Tryton
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Spoiler-free review: How many books about hell are fun? Usually it's all fire and brimstone, and while this one has its share of both, it is also about the people in hell. It's a heartwarming (there's an adjective rarely used about hellish books) and surprising story. The most unusual thing, however, about this book is the characters. I loved them, even the ones I wasn't meant to love. I mean, I hated the ones I was meant to hate, but it was a delicious sort of hatred. It was an "OMG (!) I can't ...more
Rosemary
Donna Hosie has taken us to the Underworld in a way that I could have never imagined. Her writing has made amazing visions appear in my mind. Great humour made me laugh out loud. Can't wait for the next one!
Chelly
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The premise drew me in from the beginning. Present tense usually bothers me, but the execution here is so well done that I fell into the story and stopped noticing. The characters are fully fleshed out. I didn't want the story to end, but I loved the ending.
Shana
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was awesome. 4.5 stars. I read it in one afternoon. Wonderfully written, great characters, highly recommend!!! Thank you kathy!
Rosaline (Rosaline's Rolls & Scrolls)
One word: Misogyny.
I do not understand the positive reviews. Did we all read the same book?

Women described according to The Devil's intern: Shopping, pink, dancing and crying, their beauty, passing out, delicate, need to be saved and protected at all times, are very confusing and you cannot possibly understand them under any circumstances. Proceed with caution.

At first The Devil's Intern reads like a fun little take on the after life with an awkward protagonist. But very soon it gets annoying.
Annette
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
To be honest, I really didn't like The Devil's Intern at first, but once the book got going and the setting changed, I enjoyed it much more.

Mitchell has spent the last four years in Hell. He died at the age of 17 when he got hit by a bus. Mitchell cannot accept his death, and when he finds out his boss, Septimus, has access to the Viciseometer he plots to steal it. You see, the devise is a time machine and Mitchell wants to go back and change his life so that he doesn't die.

Mitchell takes three
Eureca Laurice
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: hey-ya, urban-fantasy
Start was muddled. I thought the narrator was a girl because he sounds like one. The use of verb or adjective as a noun was quiet confusing for a bit.

When you die, what if you find a way to change it? Or rather What if there's a tool to totally change it? Will you use it? Will you want to see your death again? What if you can totally change it and instead of becoming dead? Will you take the risk?

Hell according to them wasn't that really bad after all. But still, hell is hell.

The story was a comp
Maggie
Feb 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish, vapld
I cannot understand all the positive reviews for this lazy, boring, average book. I had dozens of problems with it, the most serious of which was Hosie's casually misogynistic tone and characters. It's not so much outright hateful of women as it is propping up the kind of internalized misogyny that hurts all genders. It's a disappointing and lazy approach to take. The plot revolves around four dead teenagers who find a way to escape Hell and travel through time to try to change their deaths. Fro ...more
Tuuli
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
A fabulously fun, inventive and surprising adventure! Great read :)
Christie
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
So I need more! That is all.
Max Baker
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-reviewed
Okay, so The Devil's Intern is one of those books that really intrigued me since I've heard about it. It actually reminds me of Hellhole by Gina Demico, despite the fact this book actually came out first. Both take a comical look at Hell and the afterlife, but The Devil's Intern takes a look at how willing we are to try and right the wrongs we feel have been inflicted on us.

Mitchell is seventeen years old and dead for four years before the book picks up. My main problem with the book actually co
D'Iberville Library
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is an interesting new take on death and Hell.

Mitchell has only been in Hell for four years, but he is already working on Floor 1 as Septimus's intern. Who is Septimus? Oh, just the right hand man for The Devil. A former Roman General. Hell is overcrowded and someone needs to do something about it. The Half-way House is sending more souls to Hell instead of Up There. Mitchell discovers that there is a device that he believes The Devil and Septimus are going to use to change the numbers and c
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Dokuzuncu Hariciye Koğuşu
  • Paradokya
  • Gecenin Gizemli Oyunu 2: Paradokya
  • Slide (Slide, #1)
  • Ash (Destined, #1)
  • Gözlük (Camdan Kalpler, #1)
  • Emanet Gelin
  • The Map of Time
  • Düşler Ülkesi Paradokya - Paradokya #3
  • Sarıkamış : Beyaz Hüzün
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • Sınır
  • A Single Thread (Cobbled Court Quilts, #1)
  • Ballı Çörek Kafeteryası
  • Aynı Gökyüzünün Kıyameti
  • I Never Promised You a Rose Garden
  • Shut Your Eyes Tight (Dave Gurney, #2)
  • Olasılıksız

The Devil's (4 books)
  • The Devil's Dreamcatcher (The Devil's, #2)
  • The Devil's Banshee (The Devil's, #3)
  • The Devil's Horsemen  (The Devil's, #4)