Start by marking “The Forbidden” as Want to Read:
The Forbidden

The Forbidden

Set in the late 70s, in and around a high rise council estate rife with urban myths and legends, this story later went on to be the inspiration for Bernard Rose’s ‘Candyman’ film. A short story by the celebrated author Clive Barker.
Published November 21st 2013 by Comma Press

To ask other readers questions about The Forbidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forbidden

Start your review of The Forbidden
Eloy Cryptkeeper
"Aunque los monstruos rara vez eran muy terribles cuando se los sacaba a la luz del día. Mientras a aquel hombre se lo conociera sólo por sus actos, ejercería un control inenarrable sobre la imaginación; pero la verdad humana, oculta tras los terrores, sería amargamente decepcionante. No sería un monstruo, sino una pálida excusa de hombre, más necesitado de piedad que de pavor"

"Aquel despliegue era necesario para mantener su atención. Milagros, asesinatos, demonios liberados, piedras rodando de
Himanshu Karmacharya
The Forbidden is a short horror story revolving around the urban legend of "The Candyman". Though the story doesn't scare the wit out of you, it is still captivating enough that it just hooks you in.
Emleigh
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Candyman is one of my favorite movies, so my reading of this story is long overdue. Trying to review it on its own merit, I would say it's a compelling and enjoyable short story. It's difficult not to compare it to the movie, which is more fleshed out and has Tony Todd, so I would definitely say the movie is better, but if you're already a fan, I recommend taking in this source material.
Khian  Reaux
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The creation of the story we call " The Candyman". I think this short story was much more scary than watching the movie. Found the free PDF online and could not stop reading it.
Rogério Augusto
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Você parou para pensar que coisas ruins como o medo, o desespero, o horror e a própria morte podem ter um sabor? Se ao invés desse sabor for algo amargo como fel, tivesse em sua boca o gosto de algodão doce, ou do próprio mel. Pois bem, embarque nas linhas comigo, e vamos falar de Candyman!

Candyman é um conto do escritor britânico Clive Barker. Originalmente escrito como The Forbidden, (O Proibido, em uma livre tradução), nos é trazido aqui ao Brasil pela editora Darkside Books, em uma edição ex
Lynn Demsky
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Clive Barker's books are astoundingly terrorizing! I got to where I was too afraid to keep on reading but, too scared to put it down! 100% better then even Stephen King!!!!
Lavon Youins
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was driven to read the inspiration for "Candyman" after the trailer for Jordan Peele's sequel dropped yesterday.
Holy $***!
The film shares the same elements and trajectory of the short story (although the story takes place in the UK and the physical description of Candyman is subtly different), but it's the prose that really sets it apart ftom the film. Whereas there's an elegance about the film, in large part because of the score and Tony Todd's portrayal, the story has a certain perverse, Shi
Peter Wright
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chilling story told with eerie perfection. The scene Barker paints with words is much more vivid than what was in the film. Though the Candyman's backstory was not in this originating short story, the depth and creepiness of the character is no less satisfying!
Courtney Schafer
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. The unsettled feeling I had reading is exactly what I want when I read a horror story.

I know the movie Candyman is based off this story and it is a very good adaption.
Deyth Banger
It's a fast throwback, ain't sure when Did I started it or finished... but the movie showed a common concept... so ain't gonna be long here in my opinion.

If you ask me... Clive Barker and Stephen King show both of them that with reading a lot of books... watching a lot of movies.... series... you can create the most fucked up shit ever saw. To be honest... I sometimes imagine killings... but not as horrific as Clive Barker Shows them or even Stephen King.

....

Here can be detected... high level vo
Roberto Reis
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Abrams
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was scary and graphic, but not for no reason, as some authors use blood and splayed blood merely for shock value, he does have reason to make it somewhat graphic. This was a well written tale about the "Candy Man" who lived only through his legend. I was very impressed by this creepy tale and its author!

I would definitely recommend this to horror fans especially those who, like me, have (for some reason) never read this author before!
Mar 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From BBC Radio 4 - Friday Drama:
A run down housing estate fizzes with supernatural forces.

The Forbidden is a chilling, urban horror dramatised for radio by Duncan MacMillan. It's adapted from
Clive Barker's original novella, first published in 1985 and the inspiration for the cult 1992 horror film, Candyman.
Nisha
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mariana Segala Raimundo
Perhaps not Barker's best work but it's kind of worth the time
Steven
Apr 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Early Candyman inspiring horror story.
Amy
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Nice little horror tale!
Ulysses Mier
Was alright did enjoy the last 10pgs of it though. Movie was better.
Thomas

• Circus
  • I Am the Doorway
  • Duel
  • The Last Rung on the Ladder
  • Titanic (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #7)
  • When the Wind Blows
Clive Barker was born in Liverpool, England, the son of Joan Rubie (née Revill), a painter and school welfare officer, and Leonard Barker, a personnel director for an industrial relations firm. Educated at Dovedale Primary School and Quarry Bank High School, he studied English and Philosophy at Liverpool University and his picture now hangs in the entrance hallway to the Philosophy Department. It ...more