Start by marking “Good Omens” as Want to Read:
Good Omens

Good Omens

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  464,098 ratings  ·  23,582 reviews
There is a hint of Armageddon in the air. According to the Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (recorded, thankfully, in 1655, before she blew up her entire village and all its inhabitants, who had gathered to watch her burn), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. So the Armies of Good and Evil are massing, the four Bikers of the Apocaly ...more
Published March 13th 2014 by Gollancz (first published May 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Good Omens, please sign up.
Maddie The line is a reference to Ganghis Khan, who raped so many women that 1% of the population is said to be decendended from his gene pool. The rape…moreThe line is a reference to Ganghis Khan, who raped so many women that 1% of the population is said to be decendended from his gene pool. The rape itself is not the joke.(less)

·  464,098 ratings  ·  23,582 reviews

Start your review of Good Omens
Jeremy
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remember back when funny books were funny? Back before you went to college and found out that Dave Barry and Carl Hiaasen weren't funny after all, but Samuel Beckett and Charles Dickens were hilarious? Remember when the words on the page didn't just make you smile wryly and shake your head in shame for humanity, but actually made you laugh out loud? Well, that's the kind of humor that Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's 1990 release Good Omens brims with, and it is so damn good.

The two
Manny
I somehow ended up reading them both simultaneously. So I couldn't help wondering

What Madam Bovary Might Have Thought Of Good Omens

Three days later, a package arrived; there was no return address, but she immediately recognised Rodolphe's hand. It contained a paperback novel, whose title was Good Omens. Feverishly, she cast herself over it. Her English was poor, but, with the aid of a dictionary, she persevered and soon made great progress.

The more she read, the greater her bewil/>What
Miranda Reads
description

“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING," said Death. "JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.”
The Apocalypse is not off to a good start.

Ten years ago, Crowley (a demon) brought the infant Anti-Christ to a group of Satanic Nuns who swapped the Anti-Christ with a human child.

For ten years, Aziraphale (an Angel) and Crowley educate the child on the finer points of good and evil.
“People couldn't become truly holy," he said, "unless they also had the opportunity to be definitively wicked."
Then, when the An
Jayson
(A-) 80% | Very Good
Notes: Not as funny as I’d anticipated, and at times it’s a bit too absurd for my tastes, but a good ending and loads of charm.
Derek
Feb 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this book was a huge disappointment for me. I’d heard so many good things about it and had been meaning to read it for years. When I finally started it, I was about 20 pages into it and thought, “Yes! This is going to be one of the most entertaining books I’ve ever read.” It was like reading The Hitchhiker’s Guide for the first time again. It was witty and fast-paced and had so many brilliant things to say about society and religion. And then about halfway through, I realized that I just was ...more
Cecily

Image source imdb.

Don’t be misled by those who class this as fantasy, humour, or just fiction.

This is actually a profound philosophical and theological treatise, exploring good and evil, nature versus nurture, free will, war, pollution, and organised religion. 😉

But it’s cleverly disguised as a madcap caper featuring angels, demons, the M25 motorway, Manchester, raining fish, dolphins, Atlantis, aliens, the Apocalypse, the young Antichrist, Americans, footnotes for Americans, tunnelling Tibetans, witches, wit😉
Elise (TheBookishActress)
literally every day I'm thinking about how this book was published in 1990 and in 2019 they finally made a miniseries and Neil Gaiman was like. hey. let's make this even more of a romcom than it already was just for the fuck of it

I keep trying to land on what I think is the objective Best Thing about this ridiculous book that I loved reading so much and I think I’ve landed on this paragraph from a delightful review of the 2019 miniseries:
“Good Omens knows that you can’t look at a screen without/>
Nataliya
In my personal hierarchy of books, this one comes a close second after Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita. What can I say - like (diabolical) father, like (infernal) son.
"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."

In a"It
Felicia
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faves, fantasy
One of my all-time favorite books. Up there with Hitchhiker's Guide.
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
I knew from the first page that this book would not work for me.

I slogged through about half of it and gave up. I lost the thread of the plot long before due to my lack of interest in everything this book is. It all felt forced, like the themes and ideas were shoved into the narrative and that the plot had to adapt to fit them in. It was trying too hard to be funny rather than actually being funny. Life is far too short for books I don’t enjoy.

And I could never enjoy this. It felt l
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This book has been recommended to me for years. Everyone has been telling me how funny it is and...

Nope.

Didn't laugh. Didn't smile. Didn't even blow air through my nose. Not once.

I eventually continued it as an audiobook otherwise I wouldn't have finished it.

It felt like a kid story. Maybe I don't get the British humour (I feel like I usually like it tho). But I just couldn't get myself to care.

Meh.
JV (semi-hiatus)
"That's how it goes, you think you're on top of the world, and suddenly they spring Armageddon on you. The Great War, the Last Battle. Heaven versus Hell, three rounds, one Fall, no submission. And that'd be that. No more world. That's what the end of the world meant. No more world. Just endless Heaven or, depending who won, endless Hell."
Has the world ended yet? Oh! Right, it hasn't as I'm still babbling away and giggling silly all by myself. Thank heavens I didn't listen to this audiobook while ou
Lyn
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The year is 2114 and in an upstairs apartment in Lower Tadfield, Oxfordshire, England four people – Marge, Ron, Neville and Madam Tracey – sit around a table. They are gathered for a séance.

Madam Tracey: I can feel my spirit guide approaching.

Marge: Ooooo, this is exciting!

Madam Tracey: [In a dark brown voice] How! [Then in her normal voice] Geronimo is that you? [And again in the deep voice] Yes, this’n is me.

Neville: This is just like in that old book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, Good Omens, I mean JUST like it!

Madam Tracey: [In the Geronimo voice]
Jen
Aug 11, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I actually feel a little bad giving this 2 stars, since I see so many reviews of people who loved this book. Unfortunately, I'm just not one of them.

I usually like Pratchett's work, and there are a few comic touches that I liked here, but overall the unbelievably slow pace of the latter half of this story nearly drove me bonkers. It skips over about 10 years in a few chapters, and then camps out at 6 hours 'til doomsday for hundreds of pages. The dialogue of the children was tiresome, and the o
Choko
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: demons, humor, fantasy
*** 4.75 ***

"... “God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.” ..."

Loved every second of it! A book about free choice and nature vs nurture, some good old pondering/>
Anne
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jill joyce
I read American Gods not too long ago, and while I liked it, it didn't turn out to be as amazing as I had hoped. So I wondered if maybe I shouldn't go back and check this one out. You know, see if it was really as good as I remembered?
Huh.
It was actually better. Hilarious!
The 5 star rating stands!

description

Good Omens is going to go down as one of my favorites. I wouldn't say that I laughed out loud, but I snorted once or t
Maggie Stiefvater
Jun 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
This novel spoof of THE OMEN is absolutely hilarious. From the four bikers of the apocalypse to adorable hell hounds, it's my absolute favorite offering from Terry Pratchett -- his humor mixed with Neil Gaiman's is absolute win in my opinion.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favorite books -- not every book I read. Consider a novel's presence on my Goodreads bookshelf as a hearty endorsement. I can't believe I just said "hearty." It sounds like a stew
Kylie D
What on Earth did I just read? I think I'll be shaking my head for a while trying to fathom this one...
Richard Derus
2019 UPDATE The miniseries on Amazon Prime gets 4.5 out of five, and a strong encouragement to go watch it. I mean, what is all this kerfuffle about the ending?! Episode 6 ended perfectly, with the loveliest touch of smarm and some real guffaws...wise choices indeed. The series misses on one count, we could do with more of the Them, but really now! Child labor laws and all that. Episode 3's epic cold open is, by itself, worth subscribing to Prime for. Episode 4's delight is Gabriel's red red robin bob ...more
Kyle Nakamura
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who doesn't take their spirituality too seriously
This has got to be one of the funniest satires I've ever read. I suppose the closest comparison I could make is to describe it as a literary sibling to Dogma, but filtered through a distinctly British lense. That description doesn't really do the story justice, but that film definitely hits me in the same place as the book.
The whole premise, and I'm not giving much away here, begins with the accidental "mis-placement" of the infant Antichrist during a complex baby-swapping procedure inte
J.G. Keely
I read this book before I tried to tackle Pratchett on his own merit, so I may have to retroactively skew this review based upon what I now know. The book is enjoyable, but may suffer from the fact that it represents its two authors at what seems to be their most basic states.

There is no question as to the recognizability of both Gaiman's and Pratchett's respective styles here, but neither seems to add anything to the other. One of Gaiman's weaknesses is surely his general lack of hu
~ Althea | themoonwholistens ~  ☾
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody looking for humor and friendship between an angel and a devil
Recommended to ~ Althea | themoonwholistens ~ ☾ by: Jasey
// This is my book for the "Recommend a Book" challenge//

”It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally evil, but by people being fundamentally people.”

FORMAT READ: Paperback & Audiobook (Recommended)
SIMILAR VIBES: Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue
READ FOR: themes and devils/angels/hell/heaven/world-ending humor
READING LEVEL: Level 4-5 out of 5

// This is my book for the "Recommend a Book" challenge//

FORMAT READ: Paperback & Audiobook (Recommended)
SIMILAR VIBES: Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue
READ FOR: themes and devils/angels/hell/heaven/world-ending humor
READING LEVEL: Level 4-5 out of 5

⇒ MY BLOG ⇐
*All my reviews are as spoiler-free as possible unless stated otherwise*

OVERALL THOUGHTS: 4.5/5

This was a very atmospheric read. Especially with the classical music in between chapters for the audiobook <3

The humor was what got me from the start and towards the end the book actually got more touching. It talked a lot about how people aren’t necessarily evil and I just like those books that talk about morally gray themes. I was SOLD.

I loved Crowley and Aziraphale's relationship. It was the kind of "friendship" that is unique in the way that it has lasted centuries and I was so invested in them. GAHHH I was TOUCHED!! I do have to admit that they were mostly the characters I cared about the most and I wasn't so attached to the others hehe. But I enjoyed the story nonetheless.

This may be a bit heavier read for most people but I can say that it’s worth it and thank you to Jasey and Alex for recommending this book so much because I never would have picked it up otherwise.

The audiobook is a great road to take if you are intimidated with this book <3

I'll probably watch the series then read this book again and see what I have to say hehe

PLOT: ★★★★☆
WRITING STYLE: ★★★★☆
WORLD BUILDING: ★★★★☆
CHARACTERS: ★★★★★
THEMES: ★★★★★
PACING: ★★★★☆
PAGE TURNER: ★★★★☆
C.G. Drews
I won't lie: I read this because it has a) Crowley in it, and b) it's an adult book and I was adulting. (That was exhausting though. Please, lead me back to the children's aisle. That's where I belong.) I totally enjoyed it though because it's HILARIOUS. Yeah maybe the story is a bit waffly in places and there are some useless tangents it runs off on, but it is downright funny. Why? Oh, oh keep calm. I'll show you.

First of all, it is SO like the Supernatural TV series. What can I say? I'm a huge
Lisa
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: neil-gaiman
In the beginning, there were a few words, and the words were with Neil Gaiman, and he saw that they were good words, so he passed them on to Terry Pratchett, so that he could make light of them. And it was morning (and Neil slept and Terry wrote) and it was night (and Terry slept and Neil wrote) - the first chapter.

Thus (or similarly, for the book in the book is only rarely cited directly!) spoke Agnes Nutter, the nice and very accurate prophetess.

She would also have said (if she had bee
Bradley
Re-read 12/21/18:

Winter Solstice! Well, certain reads and re-reads lend themselves well to anniversaries and horsemen. :) And YES I was forced to re-read this because I was told I must be crazy to only give this a three-star rating and LOOK! It's about the be on the tele! So I agreed to give it another shot.

I'm adding a half star.

Why only that? Because all the things I love most about Pratchett, in general, is done better in his Discworld books. Because Gaiman's iconocla
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
No getting around it, it IS funny! Clever satire that’s harmlessly irreverent. I wasn’t rolling on the floor or anything but I had 4 (I counted) laugh-out-loud moments, a few good giggles & a smile on my face throughout. A great story that moves along very nicely, as Good and Evil (as represented by the angel Aziraphale & the demon Crowley) join forces to try & avert the apocalypse. Definitely held my interest.
The interplay between these two was what really made the story, liked it
Will Byrnes
Oct 05, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not very amusing attempt at biblical humor. It was a chore. I did not finish it, getting through 130 pages before casting it aside. It read to me like it had been written by two snarky twenty-year-olds.
Lena
Jan 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I find if very difficult not to like a book about how plans for Armageddon hit a snag when a scatterbrained Satanic nun misplaces the Antichrist.

Many of the reviews of Good Omens compare it to Douglas Adams. There are some similarities in that much of the story occurs outside the bounds of normal reality, it's genuinely funny, and very British. But I found the overall tone to be softer, less snarky, and more intentionally philosophical in nature.

While the book is very entertaining, it also ask
Trish
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third time I've read this book. Once I read this edition, once I listened to the BBC radio dramatisation and now I alternately listened to the audiobook and read the hardcover.
This, by the way, is my edition of the print book, the old Gollancz edition and I love the quirky design very much.

What you see beneath the book are the two badge pins I couldn't resist buying a while ago.

The reason for the re
Helen 2.0
-----7/1-----
Good Omens is a book about the Antichrist and the end of the world. But don't worry, it's not all sad! In fact, most of it is hilarious. The angel Aziraphale and the demon Crowley are each tasked with finding the Antichrist as a baby and swaying him over to their respective sides; heaven or hell. However, through a misunderstanding they lose the Antichrist and he grows up to be a normal human boy. As a result, Armageddon goes off with a few hitches.

It was just as good as I expected it to be! The characters -

• Neverwhere (London Below, #1)
  • American Gods (American Gods, #1)
  • Stardust
  • The Quite Nice and Fairly Accurate Good Omens Script Book
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Ocean at the End of the Lane
  • The Graveyard Book
  • Anansi Boys
  • Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • Norse Mythology
  • The Sandman: Book of Dreams
  • The Testaments
  • The Nice and Accurate Good Omens TV Companion
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
  • Me Talk Pretty One Day
  • The Princess Bride

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, includin
“DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death. JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.” 2918 likes
“God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.” 2301 likes