Start by marking “Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey, #15)” as Want to Read:
Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey, #15)

Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey #15)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  1,782 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
Three of Lord Peter Wimsey's most baffling cases demonstrate his unique detction skills at their most spectacular.
The engima of a house numbered thirteen in a street of even numbers; an indignant child accused of theft, a dream about a game of chess that uncovers the true story behind a violent death. Each of the stories introduces a different side of the twentieth century
Paperback, New Impression edition, 176 pages
Published October 31st 1973 by Hodder Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Striding Folly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Striding Folly

Susan
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a slim volume, which includes some information on the character of Lord Peter Wimsey, as well as an essay on his creator, Dorothy L. Sayers, in order to pad out what are, essentially, just three stories featuring the gentleman detective. These include the title story and The Haunted Policeman, both of which were previously published in 1939, while the final story, “Talboys,” remained unpublished until this edition.

This year, I finally read all of the Wimsey novels and, although I have no
Fiona MacDonald
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
I seem to have a bit of a mental block with Dorothy Sayers, and each time I have tried one of her full length novels I have to give up; the characters just don't seem to work together for me. I thought I was being to harsh on a well known and well loved writer, so I decided to have a go at her shorter stories. I must say I was impressed, Wimsey is rather amusing and the stories were sharp and to the point. I think it was a good choice to go shorter.
Ruth
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: golden-age
A lightweight set of three stories all featuring Lord Peter Wimsey with an enjoyable Introduction. Lord Peter is shown as married with a growing family in the second and third stories and these make an interesting contrast to the meatier content of Jill Paton Walsh's later additions to the series which I've been reading recently.
TK421
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What great fun this slim collection of three Lord Peter Wimsey tales is! Having never read Dorothy L. Sayers before, I feel as if I have cheated my younger self for not having explored her writings when I was a boy. Conversely, perhaps it is best that I did not read these stories as a young and impressionable lad. Methinks I would have mined these stories for high jinks best left undone.

This will certainly not be my last encounter with Lord Peter Wimsey!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Leslie
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final 3 short stories about Lord Peter.

I much preferred the second 2 (The Haunted Policeman & Talboys) to the somewhat odd first story (Striding Folly). I particularly liked the way Lord Peter and his eldest son worked together at the end of Talboys!
Kathy Davie
The fifteenth book, an anthology of the last three stories to be published in the Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries historical amateur sleuth series, and revolving around the brilliant, self-effacing Lord Peter.

The Series
You could say that "Talboys" is the second of the Talboys stories…

The Stories
"Striding Folly" is a carefully plotted murder thwarted by a dream. And it's lucky for Mr. Mellilow that Lord Peter was on the case. What I find sad about the story is the threat to Mr. Mellilow's peace. His
Free download available at Faded Page.

Opening lines:
‘Shall I expect you next Wednesday for our game as usual?’ asked Mr Mellilow.

‘Of course, of course,’ replied Mr Creech. ‘Very glad there’s no ill feeling, Mellilow. Next Wednesday as usual. Unless ...’ his heavy face darkened for a moment, as though at some disagreeable recollection. ‘There may be a man coming to see me. If I’m not here by nine, don’t expect me. In that case, I’ll come on Thursday.’

3* The Man Born to Be King: A Play-Cycle on th
Beth
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
These are really well done: the first is weirdly creepy and the last is hilarious. But it serves to remind me why I like novels - which I can sink into, and which aren't already finished right after they've begun.
Fiona
If you want some good bitesize Lord Peter Wimsey (and frankly, don't we all?), go and read 'Lord Peter Views the Body'. It's all of the marvellous lines and witty observations, all of the clever plots, and none of the casual racism and oddness. That's what they are - odd, and not in a particularly pleasing way. The stories in 'Striding Folly' are neither one thing nor the other - they feel like chapters of something longer, rather than good stand-alone stories in their own right. I was left unsa ...more
Frieda Landau
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vintage Wimsey.
Moira Fogarty
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audiobook
Just three quick stories in this collection, but well worth listening to. My favourite is the last, Tallboys, which features a little domestic mystery involving stolen peaches.

It's less a tale of criminal activity than it is a moral fable about modern ideas of childrearing and how psychology has encouraged a foolish degree of indulgence in parents who are afraid to discipline their children when they are naughty.

Here Sayers puts Peter and Harriet firmly on the side of "spare the rod, spoil the
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
The titular tale in this collection is a case in point of why I don't really care for detective short-stories. It's all a little bit too pat, too glib, with Lord Peter appearing suddenly at the end as the Deus Ex Machina that knows all, tells all, sees all. "Tallboys" while amusing as a family story, isn't much of a mystery and far too much of a domestic comedy.(Of course Lord Peter could only sire males...God forbid he should have a girl! At least they didn't feel constrained to name the third ...more
Katie
This is a bit of a generous five stars, but SO WORTH IT for the last story. These are three stories, all Peter, and the second two are set post-marriage to Harriet.

So, yes, run off and read it, if you haven't, my friends!
Jlnpeacock
Apr 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a book of Sayers' last three Lord Peter short stories. I found the second and third story very appealing, but thought the first in the book was not up to her usual standard. It was still a relaxing read.
Elizabeth
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
The last in this collection, Talboys, is just great, especially as a commentary on parenting.
Morris Nelms
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
I only read the first story, Striding Folly. Loved it. A chess player, waiting for a visit from his weekly opponent, has a dream about a murder and wakes to find he's accused of it
Anna Hepworth
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
This is a small book, containing only three stories, prefaced by a passionate verbal portrait of Sayers herself, written by Janet Hitchman. Having read the preface, I initially found the first story a let down, but as I progressed through the collection I was more and more fascinated.

The title story, while interesting, was possibly the weakest of the stories across the two collections, with surreal dream sequences, and tortuous plot logic. The other two stories, which as asides show us Wimsey a
Cara
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Striding Folly is a collection of 3 Wimsey short stories: Striding Folly, The Haunted Policeman, and Talboys.

The first story, Striding Folly, is set at an indeterminate time in Wimsey's life. Based on the publication date, he is likely married to Harriet and about to be or already a father, but there's nothing in the story that indicates it one way or another. It's a slight tale, told from the perspective of a one-off character who has a strange dream that becomes a premonition of his neighbor's
jzthompson
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: natural-world
3.5 - 3.75 - Something like that. What we have here are three short stories, all quite different from each other and charming in their own way but also fairly ephemeral...

Striding Folly is barely a short story at all, it's so bare-bones it almost reads like a wikipedia summary of another novel... It's got a clever "trick" behind it's howdunnit mystery, but without any of the red-herrings or other embellishments you expect from crime fiction it doesn't really add up to much. Notable mainly for t
Robyn
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle
Early Bird Books Deal | A nice wrapping-up for those who are a fan of the series, not worth paying full price for. | I had read one of the three stories as the "preview" at the end of the previous collection--In the Teeth of the Evidence--so there were only two new stories for me here. By the time I had read most of the Wimsey books, I was just happy to spend more time with the characters, and that's what this short book is. These are not mind-bending puzzlers, they are not deep character studie ...more
Katya
Not a fan of this one at all. Again, I realize this was written circa WWII (though Sayers didn't publish it in her lifetime), but between the racism and the child-abuse-as-parenting advocacy, it's not going to be one I re-read. Certainly not for the mysteries, which weren't that clever nor that interesting. (And don't get me started on the unexpected shift from the casual, thoughtless -isms perpetrated by Lord Peter in the rest of the series to outright sociopathic behavior in the third story, T ...more
Kate Parr
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't think its fair to call these his *most* baffling cases, since in all three he turns up, takes one look an narrates the crime as if he'd been there. However, the solving of the crime is never why one reads a Wimsey, but the character, language, social history and humour...I genuinely properly laughed at 'answers to Cuthbert' and the idea of a new dad being so distraught that the servants let him clean the silver as a de-stresser was just wonderful. I will not be satisfied until I have rea ...more
I Read, Therefore I Blog
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This collection of the last three Wimsey short stories written by Dorothy L Sayers together with an introduction by Elizabeth George and a fabulous, informative and insightful essay on the relationship between Sayers and her creation by Janet Hitchman is a must for Wimsey completists (and especially the Wimsey/Vane shippers)but the casual racism, anti-semitism and defence of corporal punishment is very much of its time and did affect my enjoyment.
Holt Dwyer
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely little volume, containing only three short stories: "Striding Folly," a psychological mystery about chess, "The Haunted Policeman," which can also be found in another compilation of Wimsey stories, and "Talboys," which is incidentally a mystery but primarily a domestic scene of the Wimsey household, featuring the three children and a self-important relation.
Agnesxnitt
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got caught up in several programmes on BBC Radio 4 Extram so its taken me a while to finish this 2 tapes of LPW off.
Three short stories all with LPW solving a crime, one murder and two puzzling incidents that involve his household including one on the arrival of his and Harriet's first born child, Bredon.
Very enjoyable, especially as they are read by the inimitable Ian Carmichael!
Barbara Ab
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short “puzzles” with three unexpected solutions by Lord Wimsey – My first stories by Sayers and encounter with Lord Peter Wimsey: funny, witty, enjoyable, well read by Ian Carmichael. Best quote: “absolve me from my future sins so I will enjoy them without regret!”
Franziska Self fisken
Dorothy Sayers. Nice and light reading. Gentle but clever mysteries. Very early 20th Century British reflecting the snobbery of those times with Peter Wimsey the likeable, rich aristocratic gentleman of leisure who does not need to earn a living like most of us!
Judi Mckay
Jun 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not impressed. I picked this off the shelf because I thought I'd try a classic author. Having read this, I'm not sure why she is raved about. Did I pick the wrong book to start with? The stories did not grab my attention and I didn't like the writing style.
David Kaufman
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Third rate Sayers. Read only for the pleasure of the last story, revisiting the Wimseys in married life.
Judy
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Three intriguing stories featuring Lord Peter Whimsey. A very enjoyable read for Dorothy Sayers fans.
Reading the Detec...: Striding Folly - SPOILER thread 8 18 Dec 22, 2016 11:18PM
Reading the Detec...: Striding Folly by Dorothy L. Sayers 19 26 Dec 18, 2016 12:52PM
  • A Presumption of Death (Lord Peter Wimsey/Harriet Vane, #2)
  • The Case of the Late Pig (Albert Campion Mystery #8)
  • False Scent (Roderick Alleyn, #21)
  • The Marriage of Mary Russell (Mary Russell, #13.5)
  • Love Lies Bleeding (Gervase Fen, #5)
  • The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant, #3)
Dorothy Leigh Sayers was a renowned British author, translator, student of classical and modern languages, and Christian humanist.

Dorothy L. Sayers is best known for her mysteries, a series of novels and short stories set between World War I and World War II that feature English aristocrat and amateur sleuth Lord Peter Wimsey. However, Sayers herself considered her translation of Dante's Divina Co
More about Dorothy L. Sayers...

Lord Peter Wimsey (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Whose Body?  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #1)
  • Clouds of Witness (Lord Peter Wimsey, #2)
  • Unnatural Death (Lord Peter Wimsey, #3)
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • Strong Poison (Lord Peter Wimsey, #6)
  • Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #8)
  • Hangman's Holiday: A Collection of Short Mysteries (Lord Peter Wimsey, #9)
  • Murder Must Advertise  (Lord Peter Wimsey, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
  • Beautiful Malice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
  • Motion to Suppress
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Prime Minister's Secret Agent (Maggie Hope Mystery #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Body of Death (Inspector Lynley #16)
    $7.49 $1.99
“I think,’ said Bredon, who was accustomed to his father’s meaningless outbursts of speech, ‘she’s silly.’ ‘So do I; but don’t say I said so.’ ‘And rude.’ ‘And rude. I, on the other hand, am silly, but seldom rude. Your mother is neither rude nor silly.’ ‘Which am I?’ ‘You are an egotistical extravert of the most irrepressible type.” 0 likes