Start by marking “Gilded Ashes” as Want to Read:
Gilded Ashes

Gilded Ashes

(Myth Crossover)

A romantic and fantastical reimagining of the classic Cinderella tale, Gilded Ashes is a novella by Rosamund Hodge set in the same world as the author's debut novel, Cruel Beauty.

Orphan Maia doesn't see the point of love when it only brings pain: Her dying mother made a bargain with the evil, all-powerful ruler of their world that anyone who hurt her beloved daughter would
Published April 1st 2014 by Epic Reads Impulse

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. MaasDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierScarlet by Marissa MeyerCress by Marissa Meyer
Reimagined
163 books — 23 voters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingThe Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay PenmanCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Fiery titles
254 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Lola
description

3.5 stars. This is a dark fairy tale retelling of Cinderella. The key word here is dark. It isn’t all enchanting and sparkly and heart-warming as the Disney version. But the fact that it’s closer to the original version makes it even more special and interesting. Never was I bored while reading it!

I can almost feel her fingers on my arms, ten separate little pressures holding me in place. I don’t often feel her touch this strongly. When I do, it’s usually a comfort—however bitter—because the to
Debbie Narh
Dec 29, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harpercollins
Damn, this author really likes bargains with evil people.
Rosamund Hodge
Nov 18, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, young-adult
Sometimes you just. Gotta reread your own writings.
Vanessa J.
3.5 out of 5 stars

“Love is madness,” I say. “Doesn't everyone agree that you'd do anything, endure anything, to be with the ones you love? So either you’re willing to let them use you with any sort of cruelty, so long as they keep you—which makes you a fool—or you’re willing to commit any cruelty, so long as you get to keep them —which makes you a monster. Either way, it’s madness.”

The tale of Cinderella is perhaps the one I hate the most. It's just so... insta-love-ish for me. I can't stand i
Ahmed  Ejaz
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, full-lengths
This novella was unbelievably amazing. I didn't expect this from Rosamund Hodge because I was disappointed by her plots in the previous two books I read. The only things I loved about her in those books are her writing and imagination. It's so great. And this time plot was also great along with her writing style.

This novella is the retelling of Cinderella. I couldn't get how that tale could be mould into a book before reading this. But it proved me wrong. It seems if she wanted to write a ful
Norah Una Sumner

Is it weird that I like this book more than Cruel Beauty?
The characters are very interesting and the story is so twisted and surreal.But I loved it-it's both tragic and happy.The main character is very unique and I definitely liked her and her determination and loyalty to her family,no matter what.I actually liked her step-sisters and her relationship with them-they fight but they still
Blythe
All I'm saying is that I'd probably kill for this.
Maria Kaye
2.5 stars. I was let down...

After having read Rosamund Hodge's other book Cruel Beauty -- which I loved and enjoyed, I felt nothing for Gilded Ashes.

It's a Cinderella retelling with a dark twist. Maia, her step mother and two step sisters all live in this manor where there are rumors of demons running around. Her mother's a ghost, she violently protects Maia. Whenever she cries, is yelled, or hurt no matter how small the damage is, the person is severely punished by her mother by either getting
Cillian

So it's Cinderella's turn, eh?
Look, the way I see it, the only way you can succeed at doing a retelling of this particular classic and turning it into something better than the original, is by making it darker and sicker.
Forget about the pussified version (sadly, the one I own) where the stepsisters suddenly give up trying to fit their elephant feet inside the glass slipper instead of appealing to their sense practicality and slice/cut off their toes and heels like good dutiful daughters. No, I'
Hershey
What a dark, dark story this was!

Gilded Ashes was a very eerie, dark and a twisty retelling of Cinderella. I was completely taken with how wonderfully this dark story was executed. Retellings can become trite but this wasn't. It only became darker.

“Love is madness,” I say. “Doesn't everyone agree that you’d do anything, endure anything, to be with the ones you love? So either you’re willing to let them use you with any sort of cruelty, so long as they keep you—which makes you a fool—or you’re w
Natalia
Well, Rosamund Hodge easily became one of my favorite authors.

Gilded Ashes is a story about love and sacrifice and reason, and how too much love can choke a person and make them just as unhappy as the absence of love.

«Ghosts are laid to rest when injustices are righted, when their duties are fulfilled. But my mother’s duty is to make me happy as long as I live. So there is no rest for her, and no escape for me. I will be happy and happy until it kills me.»

It is a story of truth and lies and b
Hiba
This is one of the best and creepiest Cinderella retelling I've read.
Haleema Hussain
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I loved this book!!! It is a very different story from other fairy tales and it grabs you from the start!!!
Meret Punk
3.5 stars (:
This was surprisingly very good..
I love dark re-tellings xD❤..
Eventhough things got a little messed up at the end, I liked it :')..
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I can't believe retellings can be this amazing and non-cliche?? This is an 80-page long Cinderella retelling, yet it manages to have more dimension and creativity than most retellings get in a few hundred. Man, I’m so glad I’ve picked up some Rosamund Hodge recently.

(source)

Rosamund Hodge’s talent for character arcs amazes me. Her characters are so distinct, with their own hopes and dreams. They're all so effortlessly relatable, even with different personalities than mine. I particularly liked
Tessa
Cinderella better be watching, because she's got nothing on this book.
description
Yeah, you and your glass slipper can go and turn into a pumpkin. I'm going to read this to my children instead. :)

What is this book about? An awesome retelling of Cinderella's story.
Just that....

Instead of a fairy good mother we have the ghost of her mother [she's haunting her XD]:
description
Her mother loved her so much that she swear to protect her little girl forever. But what happens when your love becomes a burden?

"My mother will nev
Anja H.
*3 GENTLE STARS*

"Love is madness."

This book was one of the shortest I've ever read, but I liked it nonetheless. This one was a retelling of Cinderella, contrary to Cruel Beauty, the first book in this series, which was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast.
I liked Cruel Beauty a lot more though, just because it was longer and way more detailed. This felt a bit rushed sometimes, especially the ending because everything concluded in about 4 pages or something! Nonetheless, I enjoyed this and I'm
CatholicBibliophagist
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, ya
If your mind inevitably links Cinderella with Disney, think again!

Ms. Hodge draws on older versions of a classic tale in this intense re-imagining of Cinderella in which the heroine's dead mother, rather than a fairy godmother, sends the heroine to the ball. But this story is set in the universe of Cruel Beauty. So . . . demons, magic, Victorian Britain, Graeco-Roman gods, and really bad bargains.

Also love: false love, twisted love, feigned love, true love and . . . .

Well, I can't say any more w
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
*3.5/5 stars*

Gilded Ashes is such a beautifully written short Cinderella re-telling with quite dark atmosphere and a creepy ghost. I like how Hodge's retellings are always so dark and twisted and not too similar to the original fairy tales. I enjoyed this novella very much, but I think this story would have worked out better, and I would've connected to it more, if it was a whole book rather
Varsha
Rosamund Hodge is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. Gilded Ashes is just a novella and I actually liked it way more than her novel Cruel Beauty. And my one complaint about this novella? It ended :(
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Gilded Ashes: A Cruel Beauty Novella by Rosamund Hodge is a haunting, creepy and beautifully written take on the classic fairy tale of Cinderella.

Last summer (2013) I read the arc of Cruel Beauty and I was amazed by it. It turned out to be my favorite read of the year. So of course I couldn't wait to get this novella, which takes place in the same world and I'm so happy to be able to say that thid novella was just as amazing.

I won't talk too much about the story so I don't give too many spoiler
Hionia
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-books
A Cindrella fairytale retelling in the gorgeous world of Cruel Beauty?
How was it?
description
Rosamund Hodge keeps amazing me! Her imagination has no limits...
description
Based on the two books I've read (Cruel Beauty & Gilded Ashes)Rosamund's work emphasizes on:
1)Betrayal of the loved ones and its consequences
2)Difficult and traumatic childhood
3)Broken, dysfunctional family relationships
4)Different personality traits, negative and positive => realism
5)Life difficulties and struggles (Life is not a fairytale)
6)Fo
Sheradyn
Jan 21, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those times that time travel would come in handy. Just a quick jump to the future, nab this book, maybe check to see if Ryan Gosling is still hot, and come back and read this swoon-worthy novel all before you can say "pudding". Ahh, wouldn't that be nice.
Anna
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta versión de "La Cenicienta" me ha encantado y me ha parecido muy original, llena de magia y con unos personajes muy logrados. La historia de Maia y de su madre me ha parecido fascinante.
Lo malo ha sido que al ser una novella la historia transcurre un poco demasiado rápido todo, y aunque entre el prícnipe y ella no se puede decir que hay instalove, tampoco tenemos tiempo para empaparnos de su relación y de sus momentos juntos. el desenlace me ha parecido demasiado saturado de cosas. Creo que
Vathna Dany
That was a very quick read. I didn't really enjoy it that much though. It was too short and the plot didn't really interest me.
Debby
I normally never do novellas, but YES PLEASE I WILL HAVE THIS THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Susana

This novella was pretty much amazing, albeit too short.
Set in the same world as "Cruel Beauty", Gilded Ashes manages to overthrow its antecessor in quite a number of features:
For instance, this may be a novella, but it feels perfectly cohesive as a whole. In this one, its short length worked in its favour. Unlike what happened with Cruel Beauty _for me _ excessive length.

The characters are almost to the point of unbelievably interesting.
Just when I thought I had a character figured ou
Aman
Jan 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, favorites
Reviewed @ Enticed by Books

Cruel Beauty had a very deadly enchanting world that mesmerized me from the first page, so I expected nothing less from Gilded Ashes and I’m so happy to say that it did not disappoint in any level! The world is still terrifying and messed up, thanks to the Gentle Lord and his twisted wishes, but at the same time, that’s what made this story so different from the original Cinderella tale.

Upon introduction, I was in love with Maia! Granted that she has a very humble, chi
Marla Mei
My only quibble is, why is this novella so short? Oh, right. It's a novella. Longer than a short story but shorter than a novel. Sigh.

But see, despite its meager length, Rosamund Hodge still successfully made Gilded Ashes as dark and eerie as Cruel Beauty. Hodge wrote this just as how I like my short stories written--in a manner that allows the readers to feel all the emotions in the short span of time. Four for you, Rosamund Hodge! You go Rosamund Hodge!
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Bargains with the Gentle Lord. A ghostly, overprotective fairy (god)mother. Defenestration. What more could a girl ask for in a Cinderella retelling?!?

If you loved Cruel Beauty, I'm pretty positive you'll love this short story. I'd bet the Gentle Lord on it...except I'm smarter than that. =)

• After the Ball (Beau Rivage, #1.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 3: March/April 2015
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)
  • Hunting Monsters (Hunting Monsters #1)
  • The Glass Casket
  • Stay Until We Break (Hub City, #2)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Red and the Wolf (Enchanted Fairytales, #2)
  • Proxy (Avalon, #0.5)
  • The Summer Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.5)
  • The Fairest of Them All
  • Dangerous Voices
  • Dearest (Woodcutter Sisters #3; Books of Arilland #4)
  • This Night So Dark (Starbound, #1.5)
  • Other Worlds
Catholic. Writer. Lay Dominican. I write books about gods & death & girls with knives. Latest: ENDLESS WATER, STARLESS SKY.

Goodreads policies: I do read messages. I seldom friend people. I never comment on reviews of my own work.

Myth Crossover (2 books)
  • Cruel Beauty
  • Crimson Bound
“Love is madness,” I say. “Doesn’t everyone agree that you’d do anything, endure anything, to be with the ones you love? So either you’re willing to let them use you with any sort of cruelty, so long as they keep you—which makes you a fool—or you’re willing to commit any cruelty, so long as you get to keep them—which makes you a monster. Either way, it’s madness.” 58 likes
“There are a lot of things I want," I say quietly and deliberately. "But I think I will keep what I have.” 26 likes