Start by marking “Coffin Hill Vol. 1: Forest of the Night” as Want to Read:
Coffin Hill Vol. 1: Forest of the Night

Coffin Hill Vol. 1: Forest of the Night

(Coffin Hill (Collected editions) #1)

Following a night of sex, drugs and witchcraft in the woods, Eve Coffin wakes up naked, covered in blood and unable to remember how she got there. One friend is missing, one is in a mental ward-and one knows that Eve is responsible.

Years later, Eve returns to Coffin Hill, only to discover the darkness that she unleashed ten years ago in the woods was never contained. It co
Published May 20th 2014 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Coffin Hill Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coffin Hill Vol. 1

Anne
Just did a re-read of this one, and I liked it a lot more this time around. And since I've also read the 2nd volume, I can also say that the series is progressing nicely and a lot of the gaps in this volume have been filled in to my satisfaction.

description

Eve is a rookie cop who apparently stumbles upon a serial killer and takes him down.
She gets hurt in the altercation and heads home to face her demons...
*FLASHBACK TIME*
Once upon a time, Eve and her (dysfunctional) gothy friends head into the spooky fore
Sam Quixote
Apr 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Have you heard of Coffin Hill? No, me either, which is why I’m rewriting my first review which detailed the numerous problems that made the first volume such a failure – this title is on nobody’s radar (for good reason), it’s not a landmark book, nor will it be in hindsight, nor is it even a slightly important one, so it doesn’t deserve that level of scrutiny. No, this pathetic comic will be reviewed in broad strokes and then forgotten like it should be.

Coffin Hill is the comic book version of
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Readers looking for a genuinely scary graphic novel should look no further. "Coffin Hill" is the kind of story I would be too afraid to watch the movie if it was made. It's the story that "The Craft" aspired for. A story about a young woman who is a hereditary witch with a dark legacy of familial sorcery and a deal for power they can't escape.

Eve barely survives a night with friends in which they perform a spell that leads to the horrible death of one friend and another ending up in a coma. She'
Damon
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
paced like a tv show. I think they should have chosen a different artist. Something more sketchy and black AND WHITE. Sometimes the art makes a big difference and I think this was supposed to be a horror story but it is drawn like a super hero comic.
Ms. Nikki

Eve and friends did some magic out in the forest of Coffin Hill and things went awry.

Years later Eve returns and whatever magic she awakened back then is now thriving.

"Wicked witch of Coffin Hill, buried in the woods and waits there still. Hide your face and close your eyes. For if you see her you will die. Only the crows to hear you cry."

It was really hard for me to get into this story. The writing was choppy and didn't flow very well at all. I have to say it was all quite confusing.

The charac
Licha
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Vol. 1 of 3

Not clear enough yet of a cohesive story for me to give this a higher rating than 3 stars. I wish this could do without the paranormal aspect of it. It seems like a cliché to resort to this. I would much rather it stuck to the crime/detective work. For this being a 1 of 3 volumes, I feel I should have gotten more meat of the story, which I can only imagine means bringing the story together will feel rushed. But I will stop myself there before I start off this series on the wrong foot.
Stephen Arvidson
Urban fantasy author Caitlin Kittredge pens a sophisticated dark horror worthy of high rank in the blood-chilling echelon of illustrated fiction most recently occupied by Joe Hill’s Locke and Key, Tim Seeley's Revival, and Steven T. Seagle’s House of Secrets.

Eve Coffin is a disgraced ex-cop and last scion of the venerated Coffin clan whose heritage dates back to the Salem Witch Trials. With a legacy so embroiled in secrets and old-world mysticism, Eve flippantly likens her family to “the Kennedy
Steph
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not that I read a lot of horror stories, but Coffin Hill is an excellent read for horror and magic fans.

Life as a hot-shot Boston cop is going pretty well for Eve Coffin until she is shot and has to retreat home to Coffin Hill in Massachusetts. Ten years after unleashing something into the woods during a foolish, teenage rite, Eve finds that the monster has spent the last decade in her absence feeding the evil in people's hearts. Now she must face old judgments, familiar and hostile faces, and h
Devann
So far this is pretty much your typical 'New England witches + really tiny town + edgy teenage magic + dark family secrets' schtick, but the art and designs are really good and being typical isn't necessarily always a bad thing as long as it's something that you enjoy. I'm hoping a few things get expanded on in the next volume, but so far it's an interesting enough story.
Elizabeth A
Mar 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2016
This volume collects issues #1-7.

I've been in a bit of a reading slump after finishing Middlemarch. Not a surprise really. I've picked up and put down various books, and when I get this way, my go to books are graphic novels. They are usually fun quick reads. This was the first book I got through after Middlemarch, so hooray for that.

The premise reminds me of teen horror flicks; roll out the booze, sex, drugs, and blood. Our main character Eve Coffin is a witch with Salem ancestry. The story has
Chandré Louw
I really liked this one but it could have had a better structure.
Was quite confusing to start but once I got into it I started liking the characters and the story was quite cool.

The drastic change of Mel and Eve's appearances was mega-confusing to me because there wasn't ever a massive amount of emphasis placed on what their names are but I guess it's easy enough to go back and check.

I also just wish that Eve's history with Witchcraft and the discovery of her skills was emphasized a bit more.
Logan
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A very interesting read! This book takes place with a rookie cop, Eve Coffin, who has just caught a high profile serial killer, she than goes to her home town Salem, to get away from the media but ends up getting involved in recent disappearances similar to when she was a teen. This book provides flash backs to when she was a rebellious teen which are nice to learn more about the character. The basic outline of this story is every woman in Eve's family are witches, and that's the cool part, In t ...more
Matt
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was pretty solid. The artwork is fucking awesome. It was easily my favorite part. The writing is ok, a bit cliche particularly when it comes to plotting and dialogue. But regardless I was still interested in what was happening and the small town New England setting was great. I’m interested in seeing what happens next. I’d be open to checking out some of this author’s novels as well.
Stacy Fetters
Apr 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sneaky-librarian
Didn't love it and I didn't hate it, but it left me curious like George.
Reads just like a bad 80s teen horror flick with dark woods, drinking, hooking up and lets not forget Witches.
Coffin Hill is known for the Coffin family. The Coffins have a strong lifeline of Witches. Once lead into the woods, the Harvest will begin....
Larakaa
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
thrilling and engaging mystery/dark urban horror story with an interesting color style. The characters are a bit stereotypical but not to cheesy or one dimensional.

Melanie
Really liked this, re-read so I can read the next couple from the local library.
Cyndi
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Slightly disjointed tale, but the story is there. 4 stars for the potential and slick art.
Stephanie
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first in a new graphic novel series and I think this may be a series to watch. The art is great and I really enjoyed the story line.
Chloe Natasha
Wicked witch of Coffin Hill, buried in the woods and waits there still. Hide your face and close your eyes, for if you see her you will die... Only the crows to hear you cry.

Okay, I loved this. I mean, it wasn't anything spectacular, but it was absolutely my brand! This volume gave me goths, witches, goth witches, malicious entities, haunted woods, not-very-smart rituals in those woods and stereotypical teen drama! Yes, I am convinced this was written specifically for me.

It's always hard for me
Sooraya Evans
Aug 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Meh.
A coven of witches in the modern day, human sacrifice, accidental conjuring of something in the woods... Same old same old.
Kasey
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting start to the series. I will likely read the other volumes in the near future as I am curious to see where the story goes. The art was excellent.
Jenna Loesch
I received this book free through a Goodreads giveaway. All opinions are my own.

I can admit that I was very excited about this book. I like dark and creepy comic books, so my opinion was probably tainted to begin with. I did not love this book. I did not hate it. I did, however, enjoy what it had to offer and then completely forgot about it, hence why it took me a week to write this review.

Positives:
Story— The story was interesting. The plot was the basic, slightly overused, girl and friends
Jessica
Thanks for the ARC copy NetGalley.

ohyeah

Move over Sabrina & Hermione--- I felt as if I was reading a young Rachel Morgan (Kim Harrison’s Hollows series) who is putting back the association terms of: gothic, badass, macabre horror back in witches. The art is AMAZING---as it represents with its deep dark tones, everything the is creepy about a witch community and protagonist.

Tone: The book is set in a series of modern day occurrences and flashbacks. I like how it is done in a chronological timelin
Sue Moro
Apr 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Coffin Hill

Ten years ago Eve Coffin was a messed up, spoiled rich, brat of a teenager descended from a line of witches known for practicing dark magic. One day she stumbles across a book of spells in her family's mansion and decides to try a spell with her three friends. Things go horribly wrong, and when she wakes up in the woods afterwards, one friend is missing and another has lost her mind. There is blood everywhere!

Fast forward ten years and Eve's life is very different. She is a rookie cop
Matthew Bruneau
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the beginning of an exciting horror story told in a non-linear fashion. Past events are interspersed with the present day to draw parallels between the stories, and to offer clarification as to what exactly is going on.

The reader is introduced to the story of Eve Coffin, a broken, hero cop that goes home to see that while some things change, many more stay the same. Sins of the past, some hers and some from much farther back in the family line can never really be left behind, and she set
Stanley
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, comics
A young woman, fresh off of the collar of a high profile serial killer, as a rookie cop, takes a bullet while trying to help her roommate. She finds herself out of job and goes back to her roots where she was a rebellious, scandalous, teen witch.

We aren't talking Sabrina here, Eve is the descendant of the true Salem witch, who escaped before the patsies were executed. As a teen, she worked ritualistic magic from a family heirloom tome and unlocked a powerful evil in the woods that killed one fri
Corto Maltese
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
While there is still the need for the characters to be fleshed out more, this story shows potential. I can't find the storytelling too confusing, the way it's stated in a number of reviews. It flew quite nicely (despite of the flashbacks) for me as I rushed through the book in no time at all.
Are there cliches in the story? Well yes, but that didn't really bother me - this is, after all, a very traditional witch-bad things lurking in the wood-kind of story beneath the modern surface.
The art took
Nicole
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A dark and creepy tale of Eve a self destructive 15 year old, who messes around with dark magic not really understanding what she is capable of. Waking after a night of witchcraft she finds herself covered in blood and a friend short. Years later she is a cop in Boston who has just cracked a serial killer case, when she is gunned down. After she is released from hospital and heads home to get away from the press, only to discover that night years ago has started something that has been taking vi ...more
ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯
I feel like I’m missing something or this story has holes. It’s not even necessarily that certain things didn’t make sense so much as the details were unnecessary (for now, no idea what direction the series is headed in.)

I liked the concept of the “Old Money” Family that practices black magic and has a curse. I liked their old creepy house. I LOVED the horrific, graphic and completely insane art work.

But there are two things that just didn’t work for me;

1.)Other than Eve getting shot in the face
Tori
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Coffin Hill is an interesting comic and I believe it will get better as it continues. Firstly, I read the single issues and am reviewing them as the first volume to save time, and I have to say I was excited for the new issue to come out every month after issue #2. In the first issue it is not clear if the story would take place in the present or if it would be Eve recounting her high school memories. Luckily it is a comic for adults and as such takes place in present time with lots of flashback ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Harrow County, Vol. 2: Twice Told
  • Dead Boy Detectives, Volume 1: Schoolboy Terrors
  • Ghosted, Vol. 1: Haunted Heist
  • Hinterkind Vol. 2: Written in Blood
  • Revival - Deluxe Collection, Volume 1
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Vampires of London (Sherlock Holmes et les Vampires de Londres #1-2)
  • The Case of Charles Dexter Ward: A Graphic Novel
  • The Eaton
  • Shutter, Vol. 1: Wanderlost
  • Air, Volume 1: Letters from Lost Countries
  • Black Magick, Vol. 1: Awakening, Part One
Caitlin started writing novels at age 13. Her first was a Star Wars tie-in. Fortunately, she branched out from there and after a few years trying to be a screenwriter, a comic book writer and the author of copious amounts of fanfiction, she tried to write a novel again. Her epic dark fantasy (thankfully) never saw the light of day but while she was struggling with elves and sorcerers she got the i ...more

Coffin Hill (Collected editions) (3 books)
  • Coffin Hill Vol. 2: Dark Endeavors